Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Chorda

Because drat, that 'R' is just not enough insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You Wang.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Max Toten :black101:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I only know of two things named Rebelle: a line of NERF guns made for girls, and a superhero I saw on DeviantArt who wears a costume based on the Confederate flag.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I met a Shatoya and a Shirelle today.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I only know of two things named Rebelle: a line of NERF guns made for girls, and a superhero I saw on DeviantArt who wears a costume based on the Confederate flag.

It's just the French word for rebel.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Just came across a Nichelle

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

jojoinnit posted:

Just came across a Nichelle

So did Gene Roddenberry, many times.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

So did Gene Roddenberry, many times.

Wiki says he was married twice, to an Eileen and a Majel so I guess this joke is just wooshing over my head?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

jojoinnit posted:

Wiki says he was married twice, to an Eileen and a Majel so I guess this joke is just wooshing over my head?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichelle_Nichols#Personal_life

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sad Fern

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Hello, it's me again. Another customer again: Fred Saltbones. Bones and other permutations of the word are surprisingly common, it seems.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

What Tumbler said, but he could have also come on Eileen.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I met a Trinaty today. Not 'Trinity'; Trinaty.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

More from Texas insurance forms:

Gracious
Love and Blessing (siblings)
Izikihal
Chastity (Multiple, the majority seem to be teen parents)
Rustee
Sayler

And one that actually made me say "NO" out loud:

Danger Fox.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

An old couple named Fred and Winnifred.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flaccid Trip posted:

And one that actually made me say "NO" out loud:

Danger Fox.

Father deadbeat or just dead?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Someone else in the county jail:

Shat Bagut.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
In the Netherlands, there is the Meertens Instituut that keeps track of names. It publishes statistics every year on how popular certain names are. In the top 10, there's usually normal stuff like Lucas, Jesse, Finn, Milan for boys, and Anna, Emma, Tess, Sophie for girls.

The charts can be found at https://www.svb.nl/int/nl/kindernamen/artikelen/top20/jongens/ and https://www.svb.nl/int/nl/kindernamen/artikelen/top20/meisjes/ (scroll down halfway for either page, and choose "op volgorde van populariteit (PDF)" which is "ordered by popularity".

However, when you go deep down the chart, you encounter some eh... unique stuff.

For girls:

Xsarailiya
Vaeyanah-Mae
Tippie-Tipper
Taphelicïa
Shervinaisley

For boys:

Jeruëngellson
Raydiangello
Shairon-jaymian
Sheorphedelion
Tré-Vianchelo
Yaënairo

It's like they thought "hm, I like these syllables individually, let's jam them together into some kind of jackalope of a name."

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

You could probably trick me into thinking half of those are normal Dutch names though. I don't think I'd be fooled by Tippie-Topper but throw in some umlauts and a reasonable suffix and you'd probably have me there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sheorphedelion is known as the Sender of Five. His domain, is Emergy and his palace is named Froulel Tiq. He can be summoned by scrawling his sigil on the ground and, sacrificing a white ram on that spot. He will offer you wisdom and unknown riches but he may extract a heavy price -

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

You could probably trick me into thinking half of those are normal Dutch names though. I don't think I'd be fooled by Tippie-Topper but throw in some umlauts and a reasonable suffix and you'd probably have me there.

Umlauts are rare in Dutch.

I read Laserjet's post and was thinking Milan is probably considered weird by Anglos, too. It's been popular in Flanders as well for a while now. I have no idea where it comes from.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Phlegmish posted:

I read Laserjet's post and was thinking Milan is probably considered weird by Anglos, too. It's been popular in Flanders as well for a while now. I have no idea where it comes from.

I've never heard it as a first name, but it's not that weird as Milan is both a well-known city in Italy and the surname of a renowned dog trainer on television. When I read it I definitely did a double-take, but it didn't seem too bizarre.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Athanasia.

In other news, you should see the list of charges against the guy who tried to light his wife on fire.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Hell, same.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

:stare:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I knew a girl named Amethyst in college, she was pretty cool. And at least it's a real word for a gemstone, so the name is in line with "Ruby", "Amber", and "Crystal".

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Axiem posted:

I knew a girl named Amethyst in college, she was pretty cool. And at least it's a real word for a gemstone, so the name is in line with "Ruby", "Amber", and "Crystal".

I also know an Amethyst; she is kind of an rear end in a top hat but has a nice donk:

...but yeah, it was mostly the one-two punch of "Amethyst Parisa" that made me shake my head. Amethyst itself isn't the worst name, but she can't even be "Amethyst Paris," not girly enough!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I met someone named Portia yesterday, pronounced like the german sports car

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

EX250 Type R posted:

I met someone named Portia yesterday, pronounced like the german sports car

The name Portia is older than the industrial revolution and is from Latin. There's a character in The Merchant of Venice named Portia. It either means "pig" or "offering" depending on which version of the etymology you believe.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

How did she know how Philosophie was spelt??

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

eating only apples posted:

How did she know how Philosophie was spelt??

Maybe the last bit sounds like "Sophie"? That would be funny.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Axiem posted:

The part that got me was the specific spelling requirement of the nickname of "Amie", NOT "Amy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I packaged an order for an Ivone today.