Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Regarding frost blades, does this build guide on the forums seem good to follow?

Seems to be dw, high crit, and HoI which is exactly what I was asking for :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Kild posted:

You can't shield charge with a wand, you'd use a scepter.

Sceptres all have elemental implicits, you'd use a dagger.

Pastebin of a an underleveled overgeared character using carcass + 1h/shield: https://pastebin.com/zzsbH02v

Eminai fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 21, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Rolled up a Dark Pact Berserker this weekend because I've been playing too safe on my Gladiator. Complete 180.

Using some crazy stuff like Hidden Potential & Clear Mind let me basically level with anything. Used Sunder early on, but got Lab runs & switched to Dark Pact early. Holy hell!!! Fighting bosses involves unorthodox tactics since the DoTs are deadly, but consistent big hits turn the encounter into a walk. Liking it a lot, but there's a real learning curve compared to the usual duck & weave, and the rewards for adapting to patterns are tremendous!

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I looked through my old PoE forums posts and found an ele foil I crafted and sold for 32(!) exalts in domination.

Nowadays you can get comparable foils for 1c. :allears: oh how times have changed. Mathil was just starting to gain his electronic fame back then, it was the dawn of the buzzsaw build.

Has anyone done life ele spectral throw this patch? How was it? I miss that build. I miss mjölner builds too but with the 250ms cooldown that ain't happening

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

NPR Journalizard posted:

Install the trade macro, which will quickly tell you (1) what people are listing the item for and (2) how good a version you have.

Even low level uniques can be valuable if they have good rolls. Otherwise, I have two stash tabs, one where everything is worth an alch and one where everything is worth a chance. lovely uniques get dumped in to the alch tab, then once a week I move everything to the chance tab. If the chance tab is full I vendor from there.

There are some I would keep a copy of like lifesprig and boots and a tabula because they make leveling so much better.

Trade macro?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Help I can't stop making characters. So far got a RF Life Zerker and a Glacial Cascade Mines Sabo to mapping, and I'm working on SRS Necro. Next up, either an ED Life Trickster, or trying a Dark Pact Zerker that seems to be the new hotness.

I'll probably never get to red maps, just like previous leagues, but I get a kick out of the increases in power through the levelling process, plus trying all sorts of cool skills.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Trade macro?
Yes, have you read the OP?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Trade macro?

https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro from the OP

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Thanks!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

If you are going to be getting into trading, install the trade helper at the same time. Makes selling things so much easier.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

you might be able to just sleep through the whole game, head on he keyboard, with berserker vaal pact dark pact

Yeah Dark Pact zerker is really drat strong, although you're limited by how much HP you manage to stack to avoid getting one-shot. With 7k hp, I still get one-shot by Hydra with more than one or maaaaybe two damage mods for example so I have to actually dodge his Tornado Shot.

Here's my DP build, I'd love some criticism on it. https://pastebin.com/5e9jnU6D

I've got one amazing jewel, but other than that my gear is pretty bad overall. I basically haven't switched a single item since early mapping. There are definitely improvements to be made on the gearing side, but it feels like most are going to be more expensive rares that are just 'what I have but more poo poo', I'd love any ideas on incorporating other uniques though. Obviously there's chest-piece, but all the good ones cost out the rear end anyway and are definitely a future investment rather than a current one, besides a 6L is pretty useful.

My tree is a bit weirder. To be honest there's a lot of changes that can be made to it but I just can't decide on what I want to do. For example purely from a DPS consideration I should dump both the Amplify and Precision 2-point clusters for Throatseeker, but the AoE and move speed make me hesitate since I really like both of those. Another possible move, I could dump both of those, the two Shadow Cast Speed nodes and respec to passives from Kraityn, and grab the jewel and life nodes over Witch, which would with an average 3-stat jewel give me 500 life at the cost of ~5% damage, 6% movespeed and 18% AoE. Is that worth it? Eeeeh...

Finally my skills. I'm not super happy with them but with only two 4Ls there's not a ton of stuff to work with. I even had to grab an Unset to fit in Haste. Wither Totem has been pretty bad, as I expected but hoped not (I have played ED before after all), generally it doesn't survive against any tough bosses unless I get lucky with placement. OoS is generally pretty useless on bosses it feels like BUT it's been vital on trash because if you don't proc Cloaked or CWDT, Dark Pact can gently caress you up, especially if you get a degen on you and don't notice. I kinda like it as insurance. I also have a Clarity left over from ages ago that I just haven't bothered replacing, it's not useful at all but I have nothing else to use in a stray blue socket except Purity of Elements for EleWeakness maps. I've actually basically swapped to that full-time now so I'm not sure why it's still showing. I'll presumably upgrade to a second Unset Ring eventually to fit Arctic Armour for my reservation. It really sucks not having a movement skill sometimes, I'll probably need to get one for Shaper to dodge the drat smash. I'd love to see what socket groups other people recommend for a Pledge + Kaom's Roots build like this.

dis astranagant posted:

https://pastebin.com/V7z3yKig Blight with jewels is a huge amount of increased damage taken that doesn't require hoping a wither totem survives long enough to do anything. Abyssal Cry is mostly a gimmick but it kills dudes and triggers onslaught. Lightning Warp is actually a pretty solid replacement for walking in this setup. With flasks, vaal grace, and the ridiculous berserker leech I'm pretty tanky. My old setup with wither totem and life + damage jewels is there for comparison.

So you just pop off a Blight every so often for the 50% damage increase? Probably worth trying out over Wither Totem since that never survives anything. I am confused as to why your build is showing as Alira when it's not a crit build though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

So you just pop off a Blight every so often for the 50% damage increase? Probably worth trying out over Wither Totem since that never survives anything. I am confused as to why your build is showing as Alira when it's not a crit build though.

Early game mana and resist issues since I leveled with dark pact. The blight debuff lasts just over 2 seconds with 2 jewels and an inc duration gem.

I'm really not a fan of spell echo (and thus pledge) on dark pact. It mostly just makes you spend twice as much life to kill trash.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 21, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Early game mana and resist issues since I leveled with dark pact.

Makes sense enough, I mostly picked Kraityn for leveling movespeed too but looking at respecs I realized unless the 2 points got me to an especially powerful node, they were barely a dps increase but at the cost of 3% movespeed so I've just been putting it off.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drat, reddit goes above and beyond any expectations on the peak whinery with respect to the trading system.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

drat, reddit goes above and beyond any expectations on the peak whinery with respect to the trading system.

I'll have you know I've spent over $2k on this game and put in thousands of hours and I'm quitting forever because I spent 10 minutes trying to buy a tabula for 12c instead of messaging someone selling at 14c.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'll have you know I've spent over $2k on this game and put in thousands of hours and I'm quitting forever because I spent 10 minutes trying to buy a tabula for 12c instead of messaging someone selling at 14c.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Well, speaking as a new player, this trading system is insane. AHK scripts, trade helpers, forum posts indexed by a third-party website that uses the game's API to see if the listers are online, god knows what else... holy gently caress. It's TYOOL 2017 for gently caress's sake.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah the reddit whinging is hilarious sometimes but let's face it they're not really wrong

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Well, speaking as a new player, this trading system is insane. AHK scripts, trade helpers, forum posts indexed by a third-party website that uses the game's API to see if the listers are online, god knows what else... holy gently caress. It's TYOOL 2017 for gently caress's sake.

Yes its silly, but its not that bad (yay stockholm syndrome)

Once you have a premium stash tab, you can throw things in there and they automatically appear on poe.trade. People message you for your poo poo, and you sell it to them. Buying is even easier. Find what you want on poe.trade, copy the message, paste to the seller, wait for a responce, go to hideout and pick up item.

There is very little incentive for GGG to change this, given (1) it works. (2) it encourages people to buy premium stash tabs and (3) there are more important things to fix first.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
diablo 3 already showed us what happens when you make it incredibly easy to list, search, and purchase items via ingame methods, so i imagine as long as it just barely works GGG is willing and even encouraged to do absolutely nothing about it in the mean time

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Minrad posted:

diablo 3 already showed us what happens when you make it incredibly easy to list, search, and purchase items via ingame methods, so i imagine as long as it just barely works GGG is willing and even encouraged to do absolutely nothing about it in the mean time

lmao

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Minrad posted:

It's funny you say that because although I definitely wouldn't want a full-on D3 style auction house in this game, I was always of the opinion (as a Big Time D3 Player at the time) that removing the AH was an overreaction. Removing the RMT AH, rebalancing drop-rates to make SSF viable, and keeping top-end rares competitive/better than uniques instead of dumpstering them would have been enough, the gold AH should have stayed. :colbert:

Some kind of currency AH would be cool though, buying currency, offerings etc is tedious as gently caress for no reason. Items should stay as barter.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Minrad posted:

No Diablo 3 shows us what happens when you make a mechanically shallow game with terminally low drop rates and RMT then don't support it.

They removed the AH and guess what? It's still a shallow, uninteresting game.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Can you imagine if you could list items for sale in-game, but you had to buy an MTX to do it? Man, that would suck.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

..btt posted:

No Diablo 3 shows us what happens when you make a mechanically shallow game with terminally low drop rates and RMT then don't support it.

They removed the AH and guess what? It's still a shallow, uninteresting game.

lord and savior Chris Wilson posted:

We are acutely aware of the danger of implementing accurate search + buyouts.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

obviously, he was just talking about the dangers of capitalism and not uh, the only other diablo game on the market that had an auction house.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Another good point. GGG should give new players a premium tab for completing A10 or something, maybe a smaller one that can be upgraded cheaply to a regular premium tab. Anyone wants to start a legion of new accounts and level them all through A10 just for free sale tabs should be welcome to do so.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Minrad posted:

obviously, he was just talking about the dangerous of capitalism and not uh, the only other diablo game on the market that had an auction house.

the thing is tho that diablo 3 was a bad game that also had an action house and poe is a good game that doesn't have any auction house and removing the auction house from the one didn't make it a better game

there isn't any actual point of comparison here, all you've got is the widespread beliefs of the battle.net forums

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Minrad posted:

obviously, he was just talking about the dangers of capitalism and not uh, the only other diablo game on the market that had an auction house.

Look, ggg have done some great stuff with path, but that does not mean they are infallible. See for example the new player experience, harbinger league, or the clusterfuck that is trading.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah the reddit whinging is hilarious sometimes but let's face it they're not really wrong
They are, though. AH as reddit wants would pretty much ruin the game as we know it. There's a boatload of actually sensible trading improvements that can be done, but since they are sensible they seldom appear in the reddit spotlight.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I would just like a way to just sell a item while in the middle of labyrinth, because it's like clockwork I'll get 5 messages in the first room.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
But ~*~tHe ExPeRiEnCe~*~

(Getting trade offers during lab is pretty loving annoying, no lie)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the value of things would change. most things would be worth less, some things would be worth more.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

whypick1 posted:

If ilvl is high enough (>70), leave them for the 5:1 prophecy. Otherwise vendor (or have them take up stash tabs because you have a gazillion stash tabs because you can't keep giving GGG money... Which is TOTALLY not what I do :ninja:)

Ilvl is ignored when Mysterious Gift rolls to see what unique you get. The only thing ilvl does in this case is determine what number of sockets the item can have, and you need ilvl 50 for six.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Make it so you set up shops and people go and buy things and can also browse your shop for other items. No need to interact to do basic trading. For bartering you can just do it if they are online. Easy.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

mostly an auction system would increase ggg's overhead and require development resources

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

NecroMonster posted:

mostly an auction system would increase ggg's overhead and require development resources

The trade API is public and more people are running private sniper bots now. Can't imagine that's good for the overhead. They use around a gig of data an hour.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

It already exists, there is nothing to develop.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Make it so you set up shops and people go and buy things and can also browse your shop for other items. No need to interact to do basic trading. For bartering you can just do it if they are online. Easy.
Personal NPC shop like in the older games would be an elegant solution for sale of disposable items. Currency, maybe skill gems and maps. That, and improved AFK/DND tracking would solve most reasonable grievances with the current state of affairs. Hell, just an actually responsive player availability status tracking would go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Automatic shops solve some problems (you can't price fix if some guy can just go into your shop and buy the item you are listing but not actively trading away) but also introduces others (it becomes easier for bots to just start buying up items or selling them, items would more frequently be sold out when you go to buy them but it's not like this isn't already a problem). it would probably be a step up over all