Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

coyo7e posted:

Hey now I'm pretty sure that Pegasus centaurs do not have dicks coming out of their chest

Hey they're fictional they can have penises wherever the author decides is most narratively appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Someone post the John Varley centaur sex chart.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress I hated Farmer. I read the Riverworld series like ten years ago, when I was young and stupid enough to commit myself to finishing everything I started, and I can still remember loathing it. Just a great, fascinating science fiction concept, ruined by the author's utter lack of any writing ability whatsoever. One of the minor irritants that still sticks in my memory like a burr is the way he would always include a character's height in their description (which was usually several pages of biography as soon as they were introduced), rendered as "stood about five foot five, or 165.09 centimetres." For literally every character, so that happens dozens of times through the series. It was as though he'd just discovered the metric system, or somebody had given him a conversion calculator for his birthday.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Stuporstar posted:

Someone post the John Varley centaur sex chart.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Should I be glad I have no idea what's going on in that chart?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good new/modern fantasy series? I tried stuff like Powder Mage, Night Angel and Prince of Thorns recently but didn't get hooked like I did on other series.

Powder Mage I dropped it at the third novel, Night Angel I dropped it at the 2nd. I finished Prince of Thorns series but the "twist" actually made me not like the world.

I have read most of the well known series like LOTR, GOT, Malazan, WOT, Mistborn, Earthsea, Belgariad, First Law and Discworld. Finished all of those except WOT/Malazan. Lots of historical fiction stuff like Bernard Cornwell's works too.

Just any newer fantasy series. By new, I mean anything that came out in this century and is completed.

I already have started many series which have no ending in sight... Thats why I stopped reading big Shounen Manga's seen they take like 10 years to end. Only Berserk is worth that kind of punishment.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ulio posted:

Any good new/modern fantasy series? I tried stuff like Powder Mage, Night Angel and Prince of Thorns recently but didn't get hooked like I did on other series.

Powder Mage I dropped it at the third novel, Night Angel I dropped it at the 2nd. I finished Prince of Thorns series but the "twist" actually made me not like the world.

I have read most of the well known series like LOTR, GOT, Malazan, WOT, Mistborn, Earthsea, Belgariad, First Law and Discworld. Finished all of those except WOT/Malazan. Lots of historical fiction stuff like Bernard Cornwell's works too.

Just any newer fantasy series. By new, I mean anything that came out in this century and is completed.

I already have started many series which have no ending in sight... Thats why I stopped reading big Shounen Manga's seen they take like 10 years to end. Only Berserk is worth that kind of punishment.

Fortress in the Eye of Time by CJ Cherryh!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

meinstein posted:

Should I be glad I have no idea what's going on in that chart?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/351869/socio-sexual-politics-in-the-body-of-a-giant-cyborg-near-saturn

quote:

They are centaurs with three sets of genitals who can reproduce in a seemingly-infinite variety of combinations: everything from self-fertilization to 12 parents is possible, and Varley includes a handy chart at the back of the book with every possible combination.

quote:

During the trip, we begin to learn what drove Cirocco to her alcoholism. As the price for the discontinuation of the Angel/Titanide War, Gaea has made the Titanides dependent on Cirocco to have children. Only her saliva can activate the eggs they produce, so that they can be implanted in a host mother to grow. The responsibility for an entire race's survival is more than Cirocco can bear; with resignation from her position as Wizard impossible and suicide ruled out by her love for the Titanides, her only release is alcohol-fueled oblivion.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ulio posted:

Go read yourself some Kate Elliot. The Crossroads books : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_(series) are good and fit the timeline, the Crown of Stars books : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_of_Stars_(series) are also good and 3/7 of them were this millenium (4/7 of them came out in a year starting with 2)

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Stuporstar posted:

This is the one that got me:

Sometime in my late teens I went through every bookstore in my area looking for SFF books with interesting psychedelic covers and noticed that most of my favorites were by Gene Szafran. I scanned them and stuck them on a website around 2000 because there was hardly anything about the artist up there at the time. It's now gone, but I still have the images, so I tossed them all up in an imgur album: :nws: http://m.imgur.com/a/Y2qb8 :nws:

At some point I actually decided to read everything in my hoard, which led me to discover that I like Robert Silverburg (at least his golden period between 1967 - 1972), and helped me discover hidden gems like The Waters of Centaurus by Rosel George Brown. Unfortunately, it also introduced me to some of Heinlein's most heinous work like Farnham's Freehold, The Sixth Column, and Methuselah's Children. I've since gotten rid of a bunch of them, so all I have left are these crappy scans. Oh well.

I love trippy old SF covers, these are great.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Oh drat I read the first in this series and had no idea there was a sequel about infinite centaur genitalia.

I remember the first being decent, kind of Rama-lite with some fun nods to Greek? been a while mythology.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

A surpising lot of those Szafran covers actually represent the content of the books themselves (which was sadly uncommon) though you'd have a hard time guessing from the covers alone. Reading the Heinlein stuff in particular, I'd get part way through the book, look at the cover and go, "Ohhh!"

I laugh, but Varley's one of the few authors whose bizarre creepy sex poo poo isn't a total turn-off for me, because he writes such human stories full of honest compassion, totally misogyny-free, and his entire transhumanist world makes for some of the most interesting stories I've read. I can't hate the guy. He's as sweet as Santa Claus, it's just you find lots of dildoes in his toy bag.

Also thanks for linking your original post. I forgot I actually took part the last time it came up rather than lurking as usual. It led me to this:

Hedrigall posted:

Titanides come in two sexes, male and female. Both sexes have a rear vagina and uterus, and a large penis in the position where a horse's penis would be. Both sexes also possess humanoid breasts and can thus give birth to and suckle young.

Male Titanides have a frontal penis analogous to a human penis, and female Titanides have a frontal vagina. While sexual intercourse using the horse organs is indulged in casually between individuals of all sexes, so-called frontal intercourse is reserved for intimate relationships. The product of frontal intercourse is always a small, spherical egg a few centimetres in diameter. These eggs are often kept as keepsakes or mementos of special occasions. They are sterile unless first treated with the Wizard's saliva.

An egg which has been made fertile can be implanted in a rear vagina and "quickened" by rear intercourse. After that, the egg will develop into a young Titanide.

All Titanides can have eggs implanted. The Titanide who receives the egg is called the "hindmother". The Titanide who quickens the egg is called the "hindfather". The Titanides whose original act of intercourse produced the egg are the "foremother" and "forefather".

There is special case: a female Titanide may use semen from her ventral penis to produce an egg, transferring it by hand. If the egg is made fertile, she may then implant it in herself and quicken it with the same source of semen. The resulting offspring is a clone of the mother. Semen from the ventral penis can only produce an egg in the same individual who produces the semen. This is the so-called "Aeolian Solo" method of reproduction.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 21, 2017

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Stuporstar posted:

A surpising lot of those Szafran covers actually represent the content of the books themselves (which was sadly uncommon) though you'd have a hard time guessing from the covers alone. Reading the Heinlein stuff in particular, I'd get part way through the book, look at the cover and go, "Ohhh!"

I laugh, but Varley's one of the few authors whose bizarre creepy sex poo poo isn't a total turn-off for me, because he writes such human stories full of honest compassion, totally misogyny-free, and his entire transhumanist world makes for some of the most interesting stories I've read. I can't hate the guy. He's as sweet as Santa Claus, it's just you find lots of dildoes in his toy bag.

Also thanks for linking your original post. I forgot I actually took part the last time it came up rather than lurking as usual. It led me to this:

I might have to make time for his books, then. The other setting details mentioned in that io9 article interest me, and I'm curious to see if this Byzantine reproductive system has a point beyond just being weird and ridiculous.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ulio posted:

The Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemisin, might manage to win a Hugo for every book in the trilogy (2/3 down)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Broken Earth is extremely good and what I would recommend also, especially now that the third book is out. Obelisk Gate ended kind of weakly, IMO.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

General Battuta posted:

The Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemisin, might manage to win a Hugo for every book in the trilogy (2/3 down)

Speaking of... I'm so excited for everything on this list: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/08/four-book-series-that-are-shaping-the-future-of-science-fiction-on-television/

Except for Rothfuss. gently caress Rothfuss. It doesn't belong on that list.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the Fortress books drag a bit as they go along, but it's almost worth looking into them for the first 50 pages of Fortress in the Eye of TIme alone

Ulio posted:

the Magister trilogy by CS Friedman

Under Heaven/River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay

the Worldbreaker saga by Kam Hurley (final book should be out soon, with Hurley being a generally fast writer, but I suppose you could wait if you're particularly paranoid about things not getting finished)

the Sacred Hunt -> The Sun Sword by Michelle West

the Second Sons trilogy by Jennifer Fallon

the Long Price & The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham (always preferred Abraham's solo fantasy to his space opera collab with Ty Franck, frankly (Franckly?!))

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 21, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ulio posted:

Bakker. :can:
2 series written and concluded and of similar or better writing to what you posted.
Makes Prince of Thorns series feel like a feel-good movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kingkiller Chronicle, which is as good as Bakker's books.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, now: Acts of Caine by Matthew Stover. Starts off as an adventure romp with a thoroughly unlikeable protagonist, ends in... I don't even know what it ends in except it's a total clusterfuck in space and time. Very fun throughout.

Revanche Cycle by Craig Schaefer. If you like political intrigue and assassinations, this is the pick - medieval notItaly, plotting families, political pissing contests between the pope and the emperor and so on. Very fast paced and surprisingly interesting for the way it got started (UF writer trying to do "something else").

Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone. Not your typical fantasy with swords and sorcery (although magic is plentiful) and not "finished" but the novels, while interconnected, are standalone and very good on their own. Magic-as-law and wizards and gods as lawyers trying to find and exploit loopholes with potentially disastrous results.

KJ Parker's stuff if you love to hate characters. I think the Engineer trilogy is his best.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

New Fantasy: I'm only about a third into The Fifth Season, first in the 'Broken Earth' trilogy and I can see why is was a Hugo winner. Ok, wiki says it's 'Science Fantasy' but it feels Fantasy enough to mention. All three books are out now, so you can go hog wild.

What did I read last year where magic was controlled by swallowing a small sample of a pure metal, different metal for different power? That was light fun, though obv. not enough for me to remember the title :o:

Edit: ah, the first book in the Mistborn series (of which there seem to be a lot :eyepop: )

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 21, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
is john meaney's nulapeiron series any good? i'd never heard of them and saw an oblique reference in a reddit thread on out-there space opera and the premise sounds imaginative.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

anilEhilated posted:

Seriously, now: Acts of Caine by Matthew Stover. Starts off as an adventure romp with a thoroughly unlikeable protagonist, ends in... I don't even know what it ends in except it's a total clusterfuck in space and time. Very fun throughout.

Super loving weird, but I liked it a lot when I read it 5 years ago. Wikipedia says there's another book coming out, but with zero word anywhere else, I have trouble believing it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
book 3 and 4 are loving weird. 1 and 2 are fairly easy to follow. they're all enjoyable in different ways.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ulio posted:

Rachel Aaron's Legend of Eli Monpress? Five books, starts out with some fantasy heisting and escalates dramatically from there.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianaldiss/status/899602175218855937

Brian Aldiss passed away at 92. A good run. Remember reading some of his few translated books back in the 90s (probably the first Helliconia book), but there the recollection ends. Probably should visit the library, Hothouse at least has always sounded fascinating in its dying earth premise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ulio posted:

Obligatory shout out for Gemmell's Troy trilogy. His wife's City novels are good, too, but I don't know if it's a series or if it's finished.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

That christian faith crisis on evolved-dino planet book I mentioned.
It was goofy and weird and futurologist all at the same time.

There was a evolved dino that was raised on Earth as a goodwill gesture from dino-planet.
Earth raised evolved dino was puny (by dino-planet standards, 9 feet tall in human standards), extremely mentally unstable, and.......a massively popular Youtube star
that incited riots, hate mail against it's sponsors & counter-counter-counter-counter protests.
It's Youtube fan base: kids & bored adults on the internet.

Given the book was written in 1958!....yeah, the futurologist bit makes sense now, doesn't it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

New Fantasy: I'm only about a third into The Fifth Season, first in the 'Broken Earth' trilogy and I can see why is was a Hugo winner. Ok, wiki says it's 'Science Fantasy' but it feels Fantasy enough to mention. All three books are out now, so you can go hog wild.

I'm about halfway through The Obelisk Gate and it really only gets more and more fantasy, which is fine by me. I went in expecting something closer to science fiction, with orogeny treated sort of like psionics in some soft science fiction, justified with pseudo science, but it really is treated more like magic.

One thing I love about this series is that it's well written. Jemisin is way better at the mechanical, putting-words-together part of writing than most fantasy or science fiction writers, and that's really important to me. She uses language precisely and artistically, not in the utilitarian or (on the other extreme) overblown ways a lot of other SF/F writers do.

Anyone have recommendations for other SF/F writers who also happen to be good at writing prose?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Anyone have recommendations for other SF/F writers who also happen to be good at writing prose?

Samuel R Delany is the first that comes to mind. My god, the man can write.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Gene Wolfe is very very good at prose style but very bad at plotting coherently.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Harrow posted:

My man.
Have you read David Weber?
The man has two million ways to describe spaceship battledamage, and ONLY spaceship battledamage, it truly is a gift.
Why is there no IRONY tags?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

My man.
Have you read David Weber?
The man has two million ways to describe spaceship battledamage, and ONLY spaceship battledamage, it truly is a gift.
Why is there no IRONY tags?

Even as a joke don't recommend this guy :gonk: He's one of the most boring authors I've read.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ulio posted:

I'm pretty sure these have all been recommended in this thread because this thread is where I get all my poo poo from. I'm 100% an audiobook guy except on vacation these days, though.

Things I've listened to recently and enjoyed:
Matthew Woodring Stover's Acts of Caine
Brian Staveley's Unhewn Throne
Daniel Abraham's Dagger and Coin
Luke Scull's series starting with Grim Company (currently on book 2)
Mitchell Hogan's Sorcery Ascendant sequence
Miles Cameron's The Traitor Son Cycle

Ones I did not get into or quit reading during/after the first book:
Craig Schaefer's Revanche Cycle
Adrian Tchaikovsky's Empire in black and Gold
Brian K. Fuller's Trystmoon Saga
Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow series (Blood Song) I finished this for completion but it starts mediocre and just gets worse

He's stopped writing non-YA fiction for now but there are 8? 9? books to enjoy in the low fantasy world of Joe Abercrombie which I mentioned last page and IMO are better than all the above except mayyybe acts of caine which I really enjoyed probably because I'm a known sucker for mary sue power fantasies

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 21, 2017

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm about halfway through The Obelisk Gate and it really only gets more and more fantasy, which is fine by me. I went in expecting something closer to science fiction, with orogeny treated sort of like psionics in some soft science fiction, justified with pseudo science, but it really is treated more like magic.

One thing I love about this series is that it's well written. Jemisin is way better at the mechanical, putting-words-together part of writing than most fantasy or science fiction writers, and that's really important to me. She uses language precisely and artistically, not in the utilitarian or (on the other extreme) overblown ways a lot of other SF/F writers do.

I've only finished The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, but I found Jemisin's prose flat and the dialogue uninspired at best. It read like an above-average YA novel. Are her later books better?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Harrow posted:

Ursula K. Le Guin
Octavia Butler
Mary Doria Russell (The Sparrow and Children of God)
Cormac McCarthy
Margaret Atwood
Kurt Vonnegut
Stanislaw Lem

I second Samuel Delaney

Technically Haruki Murakami books are considered fantasy, though not the swords and poo poo kind.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Harrow posted:

Toni Morrison :getin:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Bhodi posted:

He's stopped writing non-YA fiction for now but there are 8? 9? books to enjoy in the low fantasy world of Joe Abercrombie which I mentioned last page and IMO are better than all the above except mayyybe acts of caine which I really enjoyed probably because I'm a known sucker for mary sue power fantasies

He hasn't stopped writing non-YA fiction, he's just working to get most of the writing done on a new trilogy before the first book comes out.

From his blog:

quote:

Looking back at that August post you’ll see my plan for these books was to try and draft all three before thinking about getting the first ready for publication, which given these are full length 180,ooo word adult books is extremely ambitious. It’ll mean a long wait for the first book but hopefully a regular publishing schedule thereafter, no unforeseen glitches in the release dates and, most importantly, a trilogy that’s as cohesive and well-finished as I can manage. I’d hate to publish a book, get half way through the next one and think, balls, wouldn’t it have been great if I’d done x/set up y/changed character z.

The trouble with this plan is there’s always pressure to publish new books, and you’re aware that new releases is what pushes your backlist sales, and no one wants to spend too long out of the marketplace and risk their hard-earned profile gradually decaying, so when you suddenly leap back on stage TA DA! no one gives a poo poo any more. So there’s a balance to be struck between the desire to get it as good as possible and the need to just get it out. I know we all like to think of artistic concerns as the only things that truly matter but, well, you have to be realistic, right? There’s no point writing brilliant books if you lose the support of publishers, the interest of booksellers and the attention of readers.

But, for the time being I’m sticking with the plan and seeing where it takes me. Each book’s in three parts, so nine in total for the trilogy, and I’ve now drafted four, which is to say all of book one and a third of book two, around 250,000 words so far. It’s rough, and will need a lot of work when done, but it’s the revision and refinement that I generally most enjoy, and so far I’m pretty pleased with the way it’s shaping up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neurophage posted:

I've only finished The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, but I found Jemisin's prose flat and the dialogue uninspired at best. It read like an above-average YA novel. Are her later books better?

I haven't read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, but from what I understand people consider the Broken Earth books to be much better and more maturely written. I can't speak for that myself, though I can say she plays around pretty heavily with PoV and narrative voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ornamented Death posted:

He hasn't stopped writing non-YA fiction, he's just working to get most of the writing done on a new trilogy before the first book comes out.

From his blog:
Woohoo! I hope the new series is as good as the last. It should be, his writing is really compelling, moreso than his "world building".