Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

They're ethetic phantoms probably: They're tougher, and split in two temporarily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's no point in hoarding neuromods; if you want to min-max your efficiency, get the recycling and necropsy upgrades first, but there's plenty of neuromods and exotic materials in the game. You will be able to fabricate weapon mods later on.

You already had the opportunity to find at least three additional weapons through exploration. But at the point you're at now, my recommendation is to follow the main plot until you pick up the Neuroscope, then get serious about exploring optional areas.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I wonder what they were. I did eventually find a shotgun in Psychotronics, and I know I could craft a Bowcaster but haven't bothered.

I'm just entering the Arboretum now. Am I supposed to be saving Spare Parts for anything or am I meant to just break them down into matter via recycler?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spare parts are used to repair things. Usually that means turrets, but there are some broken consoles, recyclers, lifts, and such.

If you like repairing these things, save some of them.

This general strategy works for anything in the game: if you like doing the thing the item enables, keep a stash. Otherwise, break it down for parts.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat
The autopsy skill isn't too vital. My best advise would be to make the items that you use. Not what you plan to use, but in the immidiately next 15 minutes. I didn't feel strong in this game till I got out of the GUTS. That's the point where I got good, hopefully you hit that point too because you get to the point you start lookin for fights with these cosmic horrors playing games with your mind. It feels like hunting spiders after curing your arachnophobia.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I found necropsy to be vital but then I was constantly chugging neuromods like they were going out of style and was always short on exotics.

If you want to be like awash in neuromods the key is to forget about pistol and the shotgun completely - junk them ASAP and recycle all the valuable ammo you come across. Get the salvage upgrade so you are awash in stun and q beam ammo, and upgrade them to max for killer ammo efficiency. Pick up at least the psychoshock ability, because it increases the damage you do and negates enemy specials and doesnt use recycleable grenades. Then recycle all your food and most of your psi hypos (after doing the psionic water quest down in life support) and grenades and enjoy maxing out 90% of the trees by the time you get to the end game.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 21, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah the Dismantle and Materials Expert skills are both clutch, for giving you tons of extra synthetic material and for making all of your recycling efforts return N% more stuff, respectively.

The fully upgraded shotgun is insanely strong though, I would recommend holding onto one of those.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You can always craft a shotgun later after you max out its damage dealing potential and its one shotting even the heavy hitters. its good without a doubt but it really chews through bullets you could be turning into neuromods early and mid game until you have upgrades plus security skills plus psychoshock plus combat focus and you are one shotting nightmares and poo poo. Then its awesome.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

But like do you just go through the entire game wrenching things until you have some damage-dealing Typhon powers? That sounds tedious and not fun

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

But like do you just go through the entire game wrenching things until you have some damage-dealing Typhon powers? That sounds tedious and not fun

I liked throwing reployers and gas tanks at things a lot, personally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm most short of mineral because I like my shotgun, I've found very little I can't kill by brain shocking it with psychic powers and then blasting it in the face with the shotgun. I keep forgetting to scan nightmares before I kill them.

I am currently transitioning into brainfucking and then clubbing it to death with a wrench so I have more minerals to make more brain juice so I can psyk harder.

Also seconding that a fully upgraded shotgun is awesome, you can kill a nightmare in like half a tube.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I generally focus on upgrading non security weapons first. Early on you can gloo and wrench easy dudes (remember gloo has a damage modifier on top of possible sneak attack damage), and you can stun and qbeam the harder dudes. Then you get psychoshoch and elecroshock and combined with qbeam things die moments after you see them.

Stun and Q beam is honestly a poo poo ton of firepower and you can grab it before anything harder than basic phantoms shows up Qbeam is basically a long range laser sniper when fully upgraded. Except enemies you hit with it explode when they die and damage other nearby enemies too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
When you kill a human with a q-beam green light pours out of their mouth and eyes before they explode.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ravenfood posted:

I liked throwing reployers and gas tanks at things a lot, personally.

Don't damage reployers. You might need them to reploy later.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah there really aren't enough reployers on the station to waste as throwing weapons, why would anyone do that :confused:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Just grabbed this on sale. So far I'm having fun throwing poo poo around in my apartment.

I've never really played many games like this that I am aware. Any tips that I can't just read on the beforeiplay wiki?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Just grabbed this on sale. So far I'm having fun throwing poo poo around in my apartment.

I've never really played many games like this that I am aware. Any tips that I can't just read on the beforeiplay wiki?

if you see an item called a "Reployer", don't gently caress around with it, I've had to reload a lot of saves cuz of those things

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah try to go in as blind as possible, it'll be a lot more fun if you don't know what to expect

I don't think that a couple of skill suggestions would spoil anything. Leverage is cool if you want to do damage by throwing big heavy things at enemies but it won't actually open any areas that you can't get into via other means. Repair I think opens the most content and also improves your quality of life because it'll let you repair busted electrical junctions that otherwise will hurt you if you walk by them. Hacking opens some additional content (some handful of emails) and lets you explore less if you don't want to do that, but it also pays for itself many-times over in loot crates that you can't open otherwise.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They see me reployin', they mimicin'.

I got nothing.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

QuarkJets posted:

Repair I think opens the most content and also improves your quality of life because it'll let you repair busted electrical junctions that otherwise will hurt you if you walk by them.
This is a really good example of something prey does well. There's always an optimal way past a problem (e.g. repair) but there are always alternative, if suboptimal, solutions too (e.g. Gloo gunning the junction to allow you a few seconds to run past it).

Prey has made me ask "I wonder if this'll work" more than most other games have, and the answer is almost always yes. The fun is in experimenting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Welp, I was going for the "kill everyone" achievement but apparently I took too long to go into a specific area; I opened up Trauma Center for the first time and the mind-controlled guy isn't in there. Checked the security terminal and he's marked as "SAFE" in the Lobby. Click on his name to try and identify where he is, but SAFE just changes to "----", presumably because his body isn't anywhere on the station. But I didn't technically kill him so I think that I've failed the achievement. Bummer

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also, apparently the Atrax Gen 2 propulsion chipset (the one that gives you a mini extra jump) is always in the same place, which is great! I love that upgrade

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

For the new person, I would recommend if you really like finding stuff to avoid using hacking whenever possible because everything aside from errored out computers and a few resources in xxxed out safes can be accessed some other way. At the very least dont use it to access areas aside from the one storage closet in the Arboretum, theres always a more interesting way to get inside.

Hacking turrets and operators can be fun though.

But having to explore to find the way inside will often net you a lot of stuff you wouldnt otherwise have stumbled across.

Repair is probably the most useful access skill. There are several quests that simply cannot be completed without it.

Other than that, have fun! Its a great game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Also, apparently the Atrax Gen 2 propulsion chipset (the one that gives you a mini extra jump) is always in the same place, which is great! I love that upgrade

Yeah, I bee-lined that one for my no-needles run. Made navigating the station a hell of a lot easier.

GlyphGryph posted:

Repair is probably the most useful access skill. There are several quests that simply cannot be completed without it.

uuuuh, no? I can't think of any quest that I needed repair for. I might have needed something else specific, like mimicry or telekinesis or hacking, but there should always be other ways. What quest(s) are you thinking of?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

double nine posted:

Yeah, I bee-lined that one for my no-needles run. Made navigating the station a hell of a lot easier.

uuuuh, no? I can't think of any quest that I needed repair for. I might have needed something else specific, like mimicry or telekinesis or hacking, but there should always be other ways. What quest(s) are you thinking of?

I don't know how else you get into the satellite bay.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Mimic.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

double nine posted:

The two places I can think of is the waves and beams lab where you can complete the blackbox quest and the derelict shuttle. Other than that there is a bunch of places where it's convenient to have, like for repairing the recycler in the power plant or the grav shaft there as well.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Welp, I was going for the "kill everyone" achievement

The what? :aaaaa:

That settles it, I'm definitely doing an evil, high-psi, kill-everyone playthrough once all the DLC lands.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Prey is a game where you can turn into a folder full of important, confidential information, stack yourself on top of a desk or filling cabinet, and wait to be filed.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Mimic, telepathy or crossbow

lambskin posted:

The two places I can think of is the waves and beams lab where you can complete the blackbox quest and the derelict shuttle. Other than that there is a bunch of places where it's convenient to have, like for repairing the recycler in the power plant or the grav shaft there as well.
waves and beam can be done with mimicry. The derelict shuttle is the only one I think needs repair to access, but is there even anything worthwhile there?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

A.o.D. posted:

Prey is a game where you can turn into a folder full of important, confidential information, stack yourself on top of a desk or filling cabinet, and wait to be filed.

Be a banana in space. Live your dreams.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

How does mimicry get you into the satellite bay or waves and beams? Its solid sealed floor doors in the first case without any gaps you can fit through and an actual satellite you need to launch, and its isolated hard vacuum and energy fields the second case blocking the only accessway, no?

You need to repair things in both cases right? does mimicing an engineering operator give you a repair tool or something?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 21, 2017

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The satellite bay isn't solid, there's a small opening. For the beam lab, you can get on top of the recycle grenade chamber in the lab below it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oh yeah I actually remember... leaving? that way the second time I want back haha. But now you mention it I totally remember it.

Well then change that to "You need one of repair or mimic"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless I'm missing something the bay the satellite is in is literally an airlock with a solid door in front of it and a repair 3 obstacle on the controls.

I haven't used mimicry but the door is solid and there's no vents or anything that I noticed? And there shouldn't be because it's an airlock.

The beam weapons lab has a little hole from the recycler grenade lab but I mean the small cupboard in the floor of the main hardware lab with the airlock, it has the satellite in it you need for the quest.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 21, 2017

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
That bay has a small hole in it above the satellite. You can definitely use mimic to get in.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

double nine posted:

Mimic, telepathy or crossbow

waves and beam can be done with mimicry. The derelict shuttle is the only one I think needs repair to access, but is there even anything worthwhile there?

How do you use the crossbow there?

The derelict shuttle door can be opened with leverage but I think that room just has a couple of neuromods and maybe a psi hypo or something. Possibly a suit mod? I don't remember anything essential in there but that could describe most areas and containers

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can also use the nerf gun if I remember right
We are talking about the sputnik in a compartment in the floor in hardware lab right?

e: hacking is a bit too good. There's a very in-the-way safe that is xxxxed out, needs hacking 2 to get in, and contains as many neuromods as it took to get hacking 2 in the first place. It's pretty early on so hacking 2 is practically free. But I guess hacking being too good is the truest homage to system shock 2 this game could pay

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 21, 2017

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Gadzuko posted:

That bay has a small hole in it above the satellite. You can definitely use mimic to get in.

You can also crossbow a button through this hole, though the angle to do is pretty tight. I just know I launched the thing without Mimic or Hacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Hannibal Rex posted:

The satellite bay isn't solid, there's a small opening. For the beam lab, you can get on top of the recycle grenade chamber in the lab below it.

Awesome thanks for that, I really wanted to see what was in that lab but I'm doing alien only at the moment.