Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Ahdinko posted:

I really wanted that wipe, I'll probably still give it a whirl when pub 9 drops though

I want to say that I'll play - but albino offline might still be in it's death throws then, if not you know I'm down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
well it looks like no wipe. The server is up is anyone coming back?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Not so much coming back as playing for the first time. Pre-NGE has some weird design choices that I'm still getting used to.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

If there were a wipe I'd have come back, but now, nah probably not.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Any of you crafter-types have any online resources for finding things like server best materials, grinding guides, etc? Been thinking of getting a chef/tailor and BE character combo out for some variety.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iamthehans posted:

well it looks like no wipe. The server is up is anyone coming back?

Every time the old man visits me my connection craps out for some reason.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Holy poo poo Basi is unstable as gently caress. Figured since it's a few days post patch it would be fine. Wow this population is low. I thought Jedi would spike it. It barely breaks 1k people at peak time (up from 800 peak). It would regularly break 2k during the Goontown glory days.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Maybe we'll see an uptick over the weekend but I would've thought any significant resurgence in popularity will be down to JTL release or Suncrusher going live. Jedi is cool and all, but it's a pretty punishing grind on a server that is eventually going to go *poof*.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

SoUncool posted:

Any of you crafter-types have any online resources for finding things like server best materials, grinding guides, etc? Been thinking of getting a chef/tailor and BE character combo out for some variety.

Sure. This has historical data, current spawns with maps, and a lot of filters so you can see what is best currently for whatever you're looking for and what you want for the best if you can find it mouldering in some half-stocked random vendor:

http://galaxyharvester.net

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
No wipe? gently caress. See you guys on Suncrusher in five years.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, the rubberbanding is real right now. I do see it break 1k more than before, but the server doesn't seem to stay up longer than 3-4 hours at a time.

Thanks for the link.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

God drat it I wanted a wipe.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

As of Sunday afternoon the population is hovering near 1300 simultaneous, so definitely a Jedi bump. Rubberbanding and extreme lag spikes are still a thing, though.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Seems to be daily server restarts too. Was nice to see Dathomir overrun with actual players yesterday though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Conskill posted:

As of Sunday afternoon the population is hovering near 1300 simultaneous, so definitely a Jedi bump. Rubberbanding and extreme lag spikes are still a thing, though.

So of that number, how many of those were buffbots or surveying alts running harvesting macros?

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Probably less percentage-wise than pre Pub9. I seem to see a lot more people running around doing things than before. A lot more random encounters in the wild as compared with pre-patch, and those I found were mostly ATK.

So, at least it seems more lively. Though I'm sure we've got more bots, in the mix.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I was one of the rare Master Docs who actually liked manually buffing in Coronet Medcenter. It was a nice social experience, what can I say. :shrug:

Got way more tips too.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

I was one of the rare Master Docs who actually liked manually buffing in Coronet Medcenter. It was a nice social experience, what can I say. :shrug:

Got way more tips too.

were you a wookdoc tho?

this is important

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
Out of curiosity, why don't y'all like Legends? I'm having quite the fun time there :ohdear:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Lurken posted:

Out of curiosity, why don't y'all like Legends? I'm having quite the fun time there :ohdear:

I've been having fun with the pre-CU stuff, and honestly one of the Legends people acted like an insufferable dick on the SWGEmu reddit which, while I know is not like rare for reddits or anything, did pretty effectively eliminate my desire to give it a chance.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
What’s the difference between Legends and SWGEmu?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Theophany posted:

What’s the difference between Legends and SWGEmu?

Legends is like Stella Bellum, running NGE. It's (apparently?) pretty much feature complete.

SWGEmu and related servers are emulating the pre-NGE game. It is still lacking JTL.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Conskill posted:

Legends is like Stella Bellum, running NGE. It's (apparently?) pretty much feature complete.

SWGEmu and related servers are emulating the pre-NGE game. It is still lacking JTL.

Legends has gotten JTL figured out? Or is it just atmospheric space as in the latter days of live?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Theophany posted:

Legends has gotten JTL figured out? Or is it just atmospheric space as in the latter days of live?

Yeah, looks like they've got JTL figured out.

AFAIK there's two main branches of SWG out there. The SWGEmu code and the old SOE source code. The old source code is NGE + JTL, while the SWGEmu code has been building up from scratch and is just starting to think about touching JTL.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Is shipwright crafting active in the swgemu code?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Is shipwright crafting active in the swgemu code?

I don't think so.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Tl;dr

Never played swg, was just ahead of when I got into mmo's. Couple friends had me install swgemu. Any goons there? Any advice?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

cuedotcom posted:

Tl;dr

Never played swg, was just ahead of when I got into mmo's. Couple friends had me install swgemu. Any goons there? Any advice?

I'm playing as Nasreddin Hodja, send me a friend request and I can get you into the guild I joined. It has an up and coming city and a few helpful people. I'm working on master rifleman right now...what kinda character did you start? i can give you a basic rundown on what to do and how stuff works

I'll be on this afternoon a little so friend me and i'll give you a few thousand creds to get started (im hilariously broke by server standards but i have enough to get someone some basic equipment)

Conskill
May 7, 2007

cuedotcom posted:

Tl;dr

I'm currently using Aftermath server instead of Basilisk, but I still have my TKM with some really minor Jedi work done on Basi if there's something I can offer.

Advice:
1) Basi's economy is bloated beyond recognition, to your benefit. For example, speeders are so devalued that it's literally cheaper to buy a new one than it is to repair an existing one. Good weapons and 80-90% armor are relatively cheap. Once you get a small amount of credits rolling in you can equip yourself with impressive gear pretty quickly. Your first purchase should probably be a speeder (at ~5k).

2) For simple PvE, you're looking at either Swordsman or Rifleman. If you decide you want to be a Jedi-hunting bounty hunter the FOTM last time I kept track of the theorycrafting wias TKM (Tera Kasi Master).

3) Buffs are everything, and can be found around Mos Eisley reliably on Basi. If you're like me this will take a little bit of apprehension to get over asking for buffs and learning how to interact with the bots, but buffs are phenomenally important. In particular, if you exceed 1500 in your secondary stats (after armor reduction), your special attacks will cost nothing. This is pretty important, especially if you go Rifleman with a fuckoff man-portable artillery piece for a rifle. Don't ask me how many times I've forgotten to apply my full Mind buffs and get myself killed by sapping my Mind on the first group in a hunt.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, before you do anything from the mission terminals, get 6 buffs from a doctor, and listen to a musician while watching a dancer for three minutes for baseline buffs. It's also important to make sure you have plenty of food - I use two +mind drinks and a +accuracy food for rifleman levelling, and it makes it so I can spam AOE targets for maximum effectiveness. Make sure you take missions that are on the lower end of the pay scale at first so you can learn the ropes - right now I'm trying to figure out how to 'solo group' grind on dantooine for incredible exp, but it's all a little confusing to me.

Also pay a lot of attention to your weapon's stats. Weapon quality is determined by the quality of the ingredients and the skill of the crafter, so two weapons of the same type can be completely different - one useful, one useless. Like for instance right now I'm using a T21 rifle (the type of gun that basically defines rifleman) that someone gave me for free, but I need about 16mil to get a top of the line one (which will never happen because I have 500k and no money, though I've been told Jantas (?) are a good source of income)

Basically SWG is a really complicated game that allows you to simultaneously take your character in multiple complementary directions but they're all obfuscated by byzantine mechanics, so figure out what you really want to do with your character before committing to something, and decide on the order you want to level stuff. I levelled marksman to get to rifleman and most of scout in case I decide to go squad leader later, and at the same time I've been slowly working on Medic so I can get to Battle Medic one day, which pairs perfectly with Rifleman because you can do AOE mind damage like no other class and be the ideal in-combat healer, whereas doctors provide buffs and heal debuffs. I suggest messing around with the profession planner tool a little bit.

I've probably put like 100+ hours in on this character and I'm still lovely and dumb and have no idea what I'm doing.

also general thing, if any goons have like...furniture they don't need, or they're willing to sell for cheap, please send Nasreddin some mail. I got a giant naboo style house in the city of deception on dantooine and it's a giant empty shell atm.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frog Act posted:

I've probably put like 100+ hours in on this character and I'm still lovely and dumb and have no idea what I'm doing.

I feel like this should be the thread title.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I have a crafting macro for medic crafting experience that has the make prototype no item line in it, but suddenly its consuming materials while still not making an item, what gives?

Theophany posted:

I feel like this should be the thread title.

I think it's why I like SWG because, much like the real world, it is often dreary and confusing and you can have things happen like your house automatically draining your bank account and leaving you stranded somewhere unpleasant

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

If it has noitem isn't it doing what it is supposed to?

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

so I have a crafting macro for medic crafting experience that has the make prototype no item line in it, but suddenly its consuming materials while still not making an item, what gives?

There is an option when crafting to have it not produce an item that would take up space in your inventory. Instead, since you're probably using grind resources (bad stats) and not experimenting anyway, it gives you extra crafting XP and just consumes the materials as if you'd made an item and then destroyed it.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Greatly appreciate the response and offers of support. However, I'm not sure this game is my speed. Recently watched a video covering the pre ce? And other changes. Too much grind and lack of content for me. No nostalgia tug either as I mentioned I didn't play back in the day.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah, without the nostalgia factor, there's not a whole lot going for it unless you love long, tedious grinds.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I wish there was a new server, or server wipe coming to one of these, I would play then... as it is now everything is so entrenched.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

I wish there was a new server, or server wipe coming to one of these, I would play then... as it is now everything is so entrenched.

There are alternate servers that run on SWGEmu code with tweaks and variations to taste, some fairly recent. I mentioned I play on Aftermath instead of Basilisk right now. It launched this year, so still fairly fresh, and features gameplay changes I like (modestly increased exp rate, covert/overt/TEF PvP system, and a unique Jedi implementation).

I mean, it's still SWG and its still gonna be a sandbox grind, but if the problem is just that Basilisk is stale there are alternatives out there.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Conskill posted:

There are alternate servers that run on SWGEmu code with tweaks and variations to taste, some fairly recent. I mentioned I play on Aftermath instead of Basilisk right now. It launched this year, so still fairly fresh, and features gameplay changes I like (modestly increased exp rate, covert/overt/TEF PvP system, and a unique Jedi implementation).

I mean, it's still SWG and its still gonna be a sandbox grind, but if the problem is just that Basilisk is stale there are alternatives out there.

I actually rolled a character on Legends and its pretty solid, its basically what StellaBellum was trying to be, though the server has been up over a year, but I havent seen less than 1100 people online at a time yet.

They only allow you 1 account, but you can have 6 characters, and 3 logged in at a time.

I also like that they do monthly events and dont seem to be afraid of adding new content.

I would play on a preNGE server as I like that character system way more, however I hate that there are no quests and its all just grinding...

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nizumzen
Oct 8, 2017
I've never played this game before but I've been recommended it by numerous people. I've got SWGEmu all installed and set up so just waiting for a free moment when I can have a bit of an explore and see what you can do in it.

Some of the YouTube videos I've seen have been interesting but it is the crafting that really grabs my attention. It does seem like a rather deep game to just into though.