Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takuan
May 6, 2007

http://thelionmarks.com/2017/08/17/kenny-opens-up-after-his-g1-final-loss/
Kenny Omega was interviewed by Tokyo Sports about how he's feeling after the G1. The most important part:

quote:

We saw the moment you and Ibushi had backstage…

“He asked me if I got injured, and if I was okay, but it doesn’t matter to me. It’s not worth it to be told anything after the match that I devoted my life to. His worry for me? I don’t event want to hear it.”

Seems like they're going full Shonen-Ai with their storyline.

Edit: Not to bury Artlier's quetion on the last page: Toru Yano used to be a toughguy brawler before he morphed into his current comedy wrestler role. He uses an atomic drop sometimes, which is legal. His finisher is a punch to the dick/rollup combo.

Takuan fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Artelier posted:

My friend's been showing me NJPW matches and so many are great, but I have to ask. Does the DVD guy who RVDs himself and shrugs have a single legal attack? What's his finisher? He's hilarious

I mean Okada and Omega and Naito and others are obviously amazing but that guy (Yano I think?) was such a great change of pace.
hes basically Eddie Guerrero except better in every way

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Artelier posted:

My friend's been showing me NJPW matches and so many are great, but I have to ask. Does the DVD guy who RVDs himself and shrugs have a single legal attack? What's his finisher? He's hilarious

I mean Okada and Omega and Naito and others are obviously amazing but that guy (Yano I think?) was such a great change of pace.

I think his finisher right now is a low blow and roll-up. He wrote an (auto?) biography and the title loosely translates to "I don't know anything about pro wrestling." His gimmick is as a merch shill and producer of special comedy DVDs starring the other guys in his stable (Okada, Gedo, Ishii, Yoshi-Hashi, etc).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I really love him because he's such a stark contrast to everyone else.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
He fills a role that no-one else does and it's a lot of fun watching how different guys go against him, be it annoyance (Okada), tying to beat him at his own game (Tama), disdain (Sanada), or sheer hatred (Suzuki).

Yes, any combination of Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, Omega, Ishii, etc is fantastic, but Yano offers something that they don't. Also, while I respect Meltzer's opinion on matches, I enjoyed all of Yano's matches that I saw.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Suzuki match was great because Suzuki could have just beaten him in 1 minute but he was undone by his own Suzuki-gun bullshit

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
During the "Being the Elite" Q&A from a few days ago, Kenny mentioned some Japanese reporter who is "the Japanese Dave Meltzer" and knew all their payoffs when no one else would

Who is he?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watching wrestlers try to cope with Yano or play him at his own game is always so wonderful. I expected Tama to just fly into a rage at Yano's antics and was so pleasantly surprised when he tried to make use of all the same techniques, which of course backfired spectacularly because Yano is the master of them.

The best moment for me though is still Yano's :shrug: alongside a victorious posing Okada after their match :allears:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

During the "Being the Elite" Q&A from a few days ago, Kenny mentioned some Japanese reporter who is "the Japanese Dave Meltzer" and knew all their payoffs when no one else would

Who is he?

https://twitter.com/BulletClubItal/status/896221058445058048

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
is that the guy who said the revival didn't have any shirts because they're ~no famous~

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Without Inokism we would not have gotten Takayama/Frye so I thank him for it daily.

Also Josh Barnett owns.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
AXS is starting their G1 coverage tonight with Tana/ZSJ and Ibushi/Naito

I will gladly watch those matches again

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Watching wrestlers try to cope with Yano or play him at his own game is always so wonderful. I expected Tama to just fly into a rage at Yano's antics and was so pleasantly surprised when he tried to make use of all the same techniques, which of course backfired spectacularly because Yano is the master of them.

The best moment for me though is still Yano's :shrug: alongside a victorious posing Okada after their match :allears:

Tama vs Sanada was great for him turning to the announce table "WHERE'S MILANO? MILANO-SAN WA DOKO DESU KA? DOKO?"

and then Sanada tying him up in the crowd, the Bullet Club stooges not knowing how to undo it except just to kick him.

I appreciate 6* classics and also Wile E. Coyote bullshit too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Was it Tama v Sanada where they both threw a kick, both caught the other's leg, and then had protracted negotiations over how to both let go? That spot killed me

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Daryl took a Meltzer Driver last night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

Daryl took a Meltzer Driver last night.

The Bullet Club must be stopped :gonk:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks everyone for answering my Toru Yano queries! So basically an atomic drop is the only legal move he's got and his finisher is basically TWO illegal moves instead of his regular one, got it. BREAK BREAK BREAK BREAK BREAK

St Evan Echoes posted:

Was it Tama v Sanada where they both threw a kick, both caught the other's leg, and then had protracted negotiations over how to both let go? That spot killed me

Was this part of the G1? I know Tama Tonga as almost Roman Reigns but with stamina and the not-RKO. Sounds fun.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Artelier posted:

Was this part of the G1? I know Tama Tonga as almost Roman Reigns but with stamina and the not-RKO. Sounds fun.

Yup. Tama's an interesting case: there's been a general "Tama is underused" sense around here for a while because he has an amazing quality of movement that lets him make spots as basic as a stinger splash look like death, and he can do a lot of really fun character work as per his G1 matches with SANADA and Yano, but he's definitely been passed by in terms of "push this man now" sentiment by stars like Juice and EVIL

I think a lot of it just comes down to the fact that in spite of this legitimately very important positive qualities I've mentioned, he very rarely if ever has a singles match that truly grabs people's attention and makes him look like a star. He was in there this tournament against best-in-the-world workers like Okada and Omega, and nobody was really saying "holy poo poo you have to see Tama vs. _____". Granted, his place on the card meant he didn't have any main event slots where he could get a 20+ minute showcase, but neither did Zack Sabre Jr. and people have been rightly giving enthusiastic recommendations of his matches with Tanahashi, Ibushi, and Ishii

It's a bit of a sad situation given how much potential folks have seen in Tama over the years, but it's not like NJPW is really hurting for other lower-card stars to give push opportunities to. For now, it looks like Tama's going to stay parked in the heavyweight tag division with his less talented brother, while occasionally getting the opportunity to do great Bullet Club character work. There are many worse places to end up

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

If Kenny does leave NJPW next year, I can see definitely Tama taking his spot at the top of Bullet Club and the push that goes with it. He's 34 though, which is a bit old to let a guy like him languish.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Crosspost from the social media thread

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/898707739211292672

That's gotta be a first.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We better get :daryl: on a LIJ shirt soon....

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anybody else think "SUZUKI-GUN MACHKA" has a nice ring to it?

Just thinkin' out loud.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Destruction in Fukushima (September 10th, 3:00 a.m. EDT)
NEVER Openweight title
Minoru Suzuki vs. Michael Elgin

NEVER Openweight Six Man titles
EVIL, SANADA and BUSHI vs. Kazuchika Okada, Toru Yano and Rocky Romero

Tomohiro Ishii and Will Ospreay vs. Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu Takahashi

Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. Kenny Omega and Bad Luck Fale

IWGP tag team titles
War Machine vs. Guerillas of Destiny vs. Killer Elite Squad

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, KUSHIDA, Ryusuke Taguchi and Ricochet vs. Takashi Iizuka, Taka Michinoku, El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru and Taichi

Beretta and Jado vs. Yujiro Takahashi and Chase Owens

Tomoyuki Oka and Katsuya Kitamura vs. Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI

Yuji Nagata and Hirai Kawato vs. Manabu Nakanishi and Shota Umino

Destruction in Hiroshima (September 16th, 5:00 a.m. EDT)
IWGP Intercontinental title
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight title
KUSHIDA vs. El Desperado

Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, Will Ospreay and Gedo vs. Tetsuya Naito, EVIL, SANADA, BUSHI and Hiromu Takahashi

Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. Kenny Omega and Bad Luck Fale

IWGP tag team titles
War Machine vs. Guerillas of Destiny and Killer Elite Squad

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight tag team titles
Ricochet and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru and Taichi

Kota Ibushi, Michael Elgin and Togi Makabe vs. Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka and Taka Michinoku

Roppongi Vice final match
Roppongi Vice vs. Yujiro Takahashi and Chase Owens

Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jushin Thunder Liger and Tiger Mask vs. Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI and Jado

Destruction in Kobe (September 24th, 3:00 a.m. EDT)

IWGP United States title
Kenny Omega vs. Juice Robinson

Kazuchika Okada and Will Ospreay vs. EVIL and Hiromu Takahashi

Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano and Rocky Romero vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA and BUSHI

IWGP tag team titles
War Machine vs. Guerillas of Destiny and Killer Elite Squad

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi and Ricochet vs. Takashi Iizuka, Yoshinobu Kanemaru and Taichi

Hirooki Goto, Beretta and YOSHI-HASHI vs. Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi and Chase Owens

Togi Makabe and David Finlay vs. Michael Elgin and Katsuya Kitamura

Jushin Thunder Liger and Tiger Mask vs. Taka Michinoku and El Desperado

Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Hirai Kawato vs. Tomoyuki Oka and Shota Umino

King of Pro Wrestling (October 9th)
IWGP Heavyweight title
Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL

Tokyo Dome match briefcase
Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomohiro Ishii

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 21, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Every single show keeps being amazing: look at those striationsmain events :vince:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Also, they're doing Survivor Series main events between Chaos/LIJ and Taguchi Japan/Suzuki Gun on the two Road to shows from Korakuen Hall that will be live on NJPW World.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i really like the idea of three really decently packed cards spread out over a month.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it also looks like KES and GOD might each get a 1 week run with the tag belts with how its scheduled, dunno how i like that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if i had to guess it also looks like hiromu/evil v okada/ospreay could have title eliminator applications for the jrs there.

this is gonna be another great month in what i think has to be njpw's best year ever for match quality. i think this is the strongest year for wrestling when it comes to matches since 94-96 AJPW.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I want to see a fun young lion team with his buddy old man Nagata and similarly I want the other fun young lion to get beaten up by his enemy old man Nagata.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wait are they doing three triple threats with the same guys for the tag titles? :stare:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

VJeff posted:

Wait are they doing three triple threats with the same guys for the tag titles? :stare:

more than likely KES is going to kill someone on the first show. But if they don't, they have a few more tries.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
What's the venue for the Kobe show? World Hall? Feels like a huge test for Omega if that's the case.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Why do they make the briefcase holder defend it?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Why do they make the briefcase holder defend it?

Gives them some stakes for the next 4-5 months

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Also a way to ensure g1 winner isn't pointlessly losing matches before wk

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also NJPW like, copies WWE in weird ways (like a network for 999 and stuff) and the Briefcase from MITB is another idea they like.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

VJeff posted:

They did something similar last tour as well. I assume it's so they don't have to book "X vs. whoever the champ is" and leave part of the card unannounced. Also so Gedo can be lazy with booking.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sigmachiev posted:

What's the venue for the Kobe show? World Hall? Feels like a huge test for Omega if that's the case.

yep, I assumed Okada was gonna face EVIL there and they'd go back to having an IWGP title match on that tour. You'd think they'd want a non all gaijin title match on that show for additional support

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 21, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

Gedo had this dumb idea back in February and couldn't do it due to injuries so he's finally going to do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Korakuen Road to cards:

Road to Destruction
September 7th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Syota Umino vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi
Yuji Nagata and Katsuya Kitamura vs. Manabu Nakanishi and Tomoyuki Oka
Makabe, Taguchi, Ricochet, Finlay, and Kawato vs. Suzuki-gun (KES, Taichi, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, and Beretta) vs. Bullet Club (Fale, Yujiro, and Chase Owens)
Juice Robinson and War Machine vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega and GoD)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin, and KUSHIDA vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, and El Desperado)
Elimination Match:CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, YTR, Ospreay, and Rocky) vs. L.I.J

Road to Destruction
September 9that 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Nagata, Oka, and Kawato vs. Nakanishi, Kitamura, and Umino
CHAOS (Goto, Y-H, Beretta, and Jado) vs. Bullet Club ( Fale, GoD, and Yujiro)
Togi Makabe and War Machine vs. Suzuki-gun (KES and TAKA)
CHAOS (Will Ospreay and Rocky Romero) vs. L.I.J (Hiromu and BUSHI)
Juice Robinson and David Finlay vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega and Chase Owens)
CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, and YTR) vs. L.I.J (Naito, EVIL, and Sanada)
Elimination Match:Tana, Elgin, Kushida, Taguchi, and Ricochet vs. Suzuki-gun (MiSu, Iizuka, Desperado, Taichi, and Kanemaru)

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 21, 2017

• Locked thread