Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

I don't see what you're seeing; could someone explain it?

It's from Belgian occupation of The Congo

"Congolese children and wives whose fathers or husbands failed to meet rubber collection quotas were often punished by having their hands cut off"

e:f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

I don't see what you're seeing; could someone explain it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrocities_in_the_Congo_Free_State

e: DAMMIT

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Oh, wow. So it's actually just my lack of knowledge. Thanks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

Oh, wow. So it's actually just my lack of knowledge. Thanks.

Don't worry! I had the same gap a while ago until someone made an amazing Belgian hands off joke that everyone :vince:'d to and I Googled to find out why.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oh God, I wish it was Goatse I was seeing and not that tragedy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sad part is they probably remembered the ring, but there's nothing to put it on. Gift of the magi.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
At least belgian cocoa is fair trade, that's pretty even-handed of them.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/08/15/543707953/applebees-ditches-millennials

Hip and cool millennial marketing kind of reminds me of appealing to kids with skateboarding animals.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Andorra posted:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/08/15/543707953/applebees-ditches-millennials

Hip and cool millennial marketing kind of reminds me of appealing to kids with skateboarding animals.

They were thinking millennials would be "a more youthful and affluent demographic ", that was their problem, millennials have no money

Barudak
May 7, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

They were thinking millennials would be "a more youthful and affluent demographic ", that was their problem, millennials have no money

There are millennials with tons of money and I've sold thm train tours through south east asia that cost upwards of 5k a night to prove it. They are not most millennials, and surprise surprise applebees core demo exists within the Millennial populace where applebees is located: not cities

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fishstick posted:

I feel like Belgian advertisements could stand to be a little more self-aware when it comes to cocoa and "hands off" jokes

Is that supposed to be a Black maid as well? Tough to tell with the angle but blackface and minstrels are still a thing in Belgium, right?

I think they’re doing all of this on purpose at this stage.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is that supposed to be a Black maid as well? Tough to tell with the angle but blackface and minstrels are still a thing in Belgium, right?

Since Google is really hard for everyone.

The brand is Dutch, they sell Belgian chocolate. All of their packages have open mouths like that.

The cutting of hands in the Belgian Congo is associated with the rubber industry.

Jesus Christ, at least look poo poo up before you all get your panties in a twist about your imaginary racism.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

The brand is Dutch, they sell Belgian chocolate. All of their packages have open mouths like that.

The cutting of hands in the Belgian Congo is associated with the rubber industry.

Jesus Christ, at least look poo poo up before you all get your panties in a twist about your imaginary racism.

Reading threads must be hard too

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Non Serviam posted:

Triggered?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Stuntman posted:

Triggered?

Nah, just slightly annoyed.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Krispy Kareem posted:

Everything that shows skin on that is white.
White arms, white hands. Save the pitchforks for another time

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Always assume the worst when Belgians are involved.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Implications aside that's a really unsettling label. Who would find that sort of marketing appealing? Vore fetishists? Attack on Titan fans?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
they'll never be the hand of a major corporation after a blunder like that!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

And yet both blackface and minstrels are a thing in Belgium.

When in doubt, always bet on uncomfortable Dutch traditions.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Implications aside that's a really unsettling label. Who would find that sort of marketing appealing? Vore fetishists? Attack on Titan fans?

Belgians

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

And yet both blackface and minstrels are a thing in Belgium.

When in doubt, always bet on uncomfortable Dutch traditions.

In this case it's the Dutch. You're thinking of the totally respectful and totally not awkward Black Peter.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

EmmyOk posted:

"Congolese children and wives whose fathers or husbands failed to meet rubber collection quotas were often punished by having their hands cut off"

Belgian here, and that's a disgusting myth propagated by the Anglosaxons in an attempt to slander our beautiful colony.

We shot the people who failed to meet rubber quotas, thank you very much. We only cut off their hands after they died, because we had a lack of munitions in the colony, and the soldiers had to justify every shot fired. And sometimes a soldier didn't quite hit the mark, and whoever he shot ended up surviving and complaining to the British press. :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vox did a video about Black Peter on Youtube and seemingly every racist Dutch person ever came to comment on how Americans should shut the gently caress up about other countries

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hey to be fair more than one country can be terrible *sips tea staring wistfully at map of the former British empire*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

Vox did a video about Black Peter on Youtube and seemingly every racist Dutch person ever came to comment on how Americans should shut the gently caress up about other countries

People get their drat lives threatened for suggesting that Zwarte Piet should be changed or removed from Sinterklaas. A children's holiday.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Non Serviam posted:

In this case it's the Dutch. You're thinking of the totally respectful and totally not awkward Black Peter.

Black Pete is very much also a Thing in Belgium

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PYF is cyclical, now someone will post about the US and Belgium bro-fisting as they pass each other in the street and we can do it all again next month.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mu Zeta posted:

Well, you should shut the gently caress up about other countries. But yeah, Black Pete needs to go pronto, replaced with chimney sweep clowns or something. The thing is that no one seems to want instant changes, they're all about gradually making adjustments and hoping that the rest of the country follow suit. The problem is that they should have started that process way back at the end of the century.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The rainbow Piets was a dumb marketing move. I love how they won't just have a guy whose face is darkened with black dust, which would fit the story. Nope it's got to be full on makeup with red lips and everything.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Andorra posted:

Well here's the problem:

quote:

Applebee's wanted to lure millennials with dishes like barbecue shrimp in a sriracha-lime sauce; chicken wonton tacos; and a pork, ham and bacon sandwich.

There's no avocado toast.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The "chimney sweeper" story is just made up by people who'd love not to be racist anyway. The true origin of Black Pete is that he's a Moorish traveler who accompanied Saint Nicolas (a Spaniard).

While it's kind of annoying we use a red-lips blackface for it, it's also a symbol that predates the colonies in Congo, and it's not supposed to be a mockery. I wouldn't mind if we switched him to a soot-faced chimney sweeper for reals though.

Perhaps the oddest point of view I've heard re: Black Pete are a few people in the black community who want it to be preserved because they like... dressing up as black pete. I'm not sure where the hell this falls on the racism scale.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Double reverse ironic racism?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cosplaying Uncle Toms

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

There's no avocado toast.

They're helping people get on the property ladder.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mierenneuker posted:

Well, you should shut the gently caress up about other countries.

Hot take. Care to list the circumstances people can legitimately level criticism? Do I need to write a book before I can say Ready Player One sucks? Do I need to produce a movie before I can say I love the Shawshank Redemption? Do I need to be a millionaire before I talk about how the rich have too much money?

And before your obvious retort, I'm Canadian.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Andorra posted:

quote:

"You see very weak results from people like Ruby Tuesday's, Friday's and Chili's as well," says Joe Pawlak of Technomic, a food service research firm. "Consumers are saying that all these people are offering the same food items, the decors are the same, and also that prices have become very high in these places."
I like how there's no in-article response to this, just crickets.

I wonder if/when we'll see a chain restaurant collapse like the current retail chain/mall collapse. There's no reason we need multiple indistinguishable chain restaurants all serving generic American food.

When the boomers start dying, probably. :v:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Haifisch posted:

I wonder if/when we'll see a chain restaurant collapse like the current retail chain/mall collapse. There's no reason we need multiple indistinguishable chain restaurants all serving generic American food.

People like ruby tuesdays and chillies.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

I think we're already in it. In the Retail Collapse thread people have posted lists of chains that are either failing or struggling. There's really no way out for garbo chains like Olive Garden and Applebee's. They've been in a race to the bottom on food quality for decades, yet still raising their prices. We snake people will happily eat unhealthy food, but it has to be either tasty or cheap, and the mall parking lot restaurants fail on both counts. The cluttered, tacky decor and overwhelmingly huge menus are a problem too, but more as evidence that they haven't kept up with trends. I think there's also a widening gap between the restaurants we go to just to get some food down and places we go to have a special dining experience. I think the last few generations were satisfied by a kind of "meet in the middle" approach, adequate food in a moderately interesting setting, but now things are polarizing. Fast Casual is killing it, with stripped-down industrial cafeteria settings, and quirky local places are doing better than ever, once you adjust for the usual failure rate of restaurants.

I don't really get what problem the big chains are trying to solve these days - if you want something edible and predictable, fast-casual is going to do it faster and cheaper. If you want something good you are definitely barking up the wrong tree if you go to any of the chains, and yelp exists now so even being out of town isn't that big of a hurdle to finding something amazing to eat at a local place. The chains can't even cater to the unadventurous eaters who want the same meal every time they go out, because they're constantly revamping their menus these days, and there is no quicker way to make a picky eater into an enemy for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

People like ruby tuesdays and chillies.
They were fine when they weren't charging out the rear end, but that's like more than a decade ago. Now if you're going to pay a premium to eat out, you go to a place that specializes in the food you know you want ahead of time rather than a place that serves everything.