Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

pogothemonkey0 posted:

You present some strong counter-points, Magic Hate Ball, but I agree with K. Waste and think they made a really good post.

Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Aphrodite posted:

The stealth infiltration at the beginning of Winter Soldier has a lot of really terrible cuts but the progress isn't hard to follow.

I really like Winter Soldier, but it kinda has the opposite problem that Civil War has. In Civil War the effects heavy fights are pretty good and the rest suck. In Winter Soldier the effects heavy finale/Cap's escape from Shield Headquarters both blow but the more low-key stuff resonates.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Aphrodite posted:

The stealth infiltration at the beginning of Winter Soldier has a lot of really terrible cuts but the progress isn't hard to follow.

Its the best sequence in the whole movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It's good enough to predispose you to think the rest is better than it is. Also Georges St Pierre is a really funny choice for a heavy so making him Batroc is inspired

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
BvS owns and is gorgeous and beautiful.

I like Nicholas Winding Refn but now film nerds think a movie isn't stylish unless it's some technicolor vomit.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shoombo posted:

BvS owns and is gorgeous and beautiful.

I like Nicholas Winding Refn but now film nerds think a movie isn't stylish unless it's some technicolor vomit.

...BvS is closer to Refn's aesthetic than anything Marvel has ever put out, what are you even talking about? "Technicolor vomit" is more how I'd describe Jason Eisener or Lexi Alexander's directing (though in both cases it loving owns).

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...BvS is closer to Refn's aesthetic than anything Marvel has ever put out, what are you even talking about? "Technicolor vomit" is more how I'd describe Jason Eisener or Lexi Alexander's directing (though in both cases it loving owns).

I absolutely agree with you on all counts. I'm talking about a trend I see where anything that isn't packed with color is dismissed as" unstylish", which I'd absolutely place on nwr's (fantastic) lighting and it's popularity. Subtlety in lighting is de-emphasized when it's just as valid.

K. Waste already wrote the best defense of BvS, so I'll admit I'm just kind of rambling.

I've seen a lot of dumb motherfuckers in film school who don't recognize good cinematography unless it's drenched in primary colors.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying that BvS is ugly because it has very desaturated colors, I'm saying it is ugly because it is ugly as sin. Like it looks gorgeous in stills and in black and white, but cinema is a mixture of movement and composition and honestly to me, that movie is just ugly when it is actually in motion and as a result is difficult to follow. It has some good parts (I'll admit that he scene where Bruce Wayne's parents die is gorgeously shot and from now on all movies should just reuse that scene instead of doing new interpretations) but as a whole it is murky and honestly kind of ugly. Zack Snyder in general is just a director who can make very good stills and copy a comic book very well, but he isn't too skilled at actually making all the elements work while they're actually moving.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Don Gato posted:

I'm not saying that BvS is ugly because it has very desaturated colors, I'm saying it is ugly because it is ugly as sin. Like it looks gorgeous in stills and in black and white, but cinema is a mixture of movement and composition and honestly to me, that movie is just ugly when it is actually in motion and as a result is difficult to follow. It has some good parts (I'll admit that he scene where Bruce Wayne's parents die is gorgeously shot and from now on all movies should just reuse that scene instead of doing new interpretations) but as a whole it is murky and honestly kind of ugly. Zack Snyder in general is just a director who can make very good stills and copy a comic book very well, but he isn't too skilled at actually making all the elements work while they're actually moving.

:frogbon:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Don Gato posted:

Shoombo posted:

I've seen a lot of dumb motherfuckers in film school who don't recognize good cinematography unless it's drenched in primary colors.

Maybe it's my colour blindness kicking in, but I appreciate some nice, clearly visible colours and shapes in my comics (Sure, make Hulk greener. Sounds good to me). BVS's finale seems to take place in an apocalyptic hellscape. It's drab, dreary, desolate. In motion, the overwhelming use of red/brown is really visually confusing to me.

I can appreciate the stills K. Waste posted, particularly in black and white, but when I actually watch that scene, all I see is:

I'll definitely give it a shot in black and white some time, though. :cheers:

edit: Speaking of colours

There are like ten more of these, but you get the gist.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 21, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

New Stranger Things poster:

Its inspiration:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

And More posted:

There are like ten more of these, but you get the gist.

That makes me think the My Little Pony movie is going to take place in the Only God Forgives universe.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

That makes me think the My Little Pony movie is going to take place in the Only God Forgives universe.

I could dig that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Don Gato posted:

Most of the stills I've posted involve one or more moving components. The reason I am able to grab good screen shots is because they work while moving. I can post ones with even more significant movement, which are not at all 'murky,' or where what's going on is difficult to follow.

And More posted:

Maybe it's my colour blindness kicking in, but I appreciate some nice, clearly visible colours and shapes in my comics (Sure, make Hulk greener. Sounds good to me). BVS's finale seems to take place in an apocalyptic hellscape. It's drab, dreary, desolate. In motion, the overwhelming use of red/brown is really visually confusing to me.

I can appreciate the stills K. Waste posted, particularly in black and white, but when I actually watch that scene, all I see is:

I'll definitely give it a shot in black and white some time, though. :cheers:

These are both good shots. They're just shots that feature significant and, as you put it, cognitively overwhelming motion. Not every aspect of the mise en scene is in critical focus or still long enough for you to take it in. But it's the same issue that you brought up earlier about being able to distinguish the color of a character's costume, to the exclusion of the dramatic motivation in how a costume is depicted.

Similarly, you are merely describing how the action is performed and lit, but not acknowledging what the dramatic or thematic motivation might be for this, and how this then relates to why the image looks the way it does. Calling this sequence "drab" is just a severe understatement. It is a dreary and desolate moment of overwhelming violent conflict between beings of cataclysmic and apocalyptic power. But that's an compelling reflection of the story being told; as opposed to it just being a pretense for show a perpetually clear and evenly lit costumed crusader.

The contrast is obvious. In an MCU film, even when 'the chips are down,' so to speak, there is an unyielding sense of order and naturalism to the way characters or actions or, more particularly, their costumes, are depicted. The superhero characters, even when they are not doing anything, neutralize the threat of uncertainty or transgression. They could be in a dreary and desolate scene, but it would look more or less the same as if they were fighting in an airport tarmac in broad daylight, because nothing can actually go that wrong in an MCU movie. The heroes themselves, by virtue of merely existing, prevent any stark or overwhelming corruption of the natural order. In Beavis, Flash's costume literally tears apart the fabric of space and time - and it represents Bruce Wayne's own thin grasp on 'reality.' The costumes speak to something apart from just literally being the attire or trademark of the hero. Indeed, total clarity of what the character is wearing would undermine its visual significance.

Snyder is not telling a story about 'properties' standing in for moral certainty and the persistence of a 'natural' world despite extraordinary circumstances. He's telling a story about characters whose very ideas and behavior have incontrovertible consequences on the very nature of reality. He's composing transgressive pop art which is supposed to look, to a certain extent, beyond mortal comprehension. The MCU makes the extraordinary look banal - Snyder makes the banal (Batman/Superman/Flash/Wonder Woman, characters we all know and who have been done to death in serials and cartoons) look extraordinary. It's not just the movement of the characters - it's the movement of everything, including the camera's attempts just to keep up with such titanic figures. We don't just have Superman rush, and then cut to Batman getting clobbered. We have Superman rushing and Batman getting clobbered in the same shot. From there we do not simply cut to Superman ramming Batman through a building. The camera whip-pans and tilts up to find that this action is already, in an instant, occurring, out of reach. The significance of these formal decisions is immediately apparent: This is not an 'objective' scene of two characters fighting, but a highly subjective moment where the superficial actions can not be depicted 'naturally' or 'objectively.' The testament to Snyder's skill as a filmmaker is that even this incomparable chaos is shot well. When you freeze frame on blurry or fast-paced or obscure action, the visual itself becomes veritably expressionist or even futurist. Batman isn't just a character who's being thrown into something. He's a crazy dude dressed in a tombstone of a costume who's plummeting like a meteorite. Superman isn't just a character who runs fast - he's as intangible and fluid as the smoke billowing around him... or at least he thinks so, before Batman gets the drop on him.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

In Beavis,

I will exclusively refer to this movie by this title from now on.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Chris Knight posted:

I will exclusively refer to this movie by this title from now on.

It's a fair cop.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: needlessly snarky, enjoy whatever

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 22, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like the best strategy to attack Butthead isn't to say it doesn't look good or at least interesting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

I knew these men, Green Berets out of Fort Bragg. What were they doing here?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I hate that I noticed this, but the tiny amount of drop shadow on the running man poster that the stranger things poster doesn't have is what ends up making the ST poster look like a lovely five minute photoshop job

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Zack Snyder's definitely got some issues (pacing is a big one) but visuals aren't really one of them. You can certainly dislike his style, but it's memorable, at least. The relatively drab color grading is by no means unique to his movies, it's an extremely common thing these days. Which I think is how this whole tangent started anyway -- BvS just happened to be a pretty bad example, but now people are digging their heels in.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Jigsaw posters

https://twitter.com/TABECHAUYO/status/900340490851074048

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Very classy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They must've been thinking about how easy it would be to make a Jigsaw Halloween costume when they decided on pig mask and wig.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Palpek posted:

Its inspiration:

Man I do not like this poster. It's too random a reference too, I mean, I guess the Running Man is sorta kinda based on a Stephen King book and that's Stranger Things' whole deal, but this just feels too disconnected.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Are these Stranger Things posters official?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yes. They posted an Alien one today.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Man I do not like this poster. It's too random a reference too, I mean, I guess the Running Man is sorta kinda based on a Stephen King book and that's Stranger Things' whole deal, but this just feels too disconnected.

They're mixing it up, apparently. The influences for season 2 are supposedly much more in an actiony James Cameron direction.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

feedmyleg posted:

They're mixing it up, apparently. The influences for season 2 are supposedly much more in an actiony James Cameron direction.

Okay, if they make every season a different genre with the same themes, Stranger Things will be my all time favorite show.
I've wanted something like that done and I've never seen it well executed.

Edit: I thought American Horror Story was going to be like that but instead it was mostly just boring.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alternate poster:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm on my phone so someone post the Inception poster.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

It's going to be a bad show, but I love this very much.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

caligulamprey posted:

It's going to be a bad show, but I love this very much.

Yeah, the reviews I've been seeing say that it's pretty much like any sitcom on CBS, just now on Netflix.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Okay, if they make every season a different genre with the same themes, Stranger Things will be my all time favorite show.
I've wanted something like that done and I've never seen it well executed.

Edit: I thought American Horror Story was going to be like that but instead it was mostly just boring.

I wish. I'm right there with you, but I'll believe it when I see it. For now I'm assuming it'll mostly be lip service, eapecially because today they released the Alien poster and not an Aliens homage.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mister Chief posted:

I'm on my phone so someone post the Inception poster.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

j/k

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 25, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

From what Spanish speaking country is that? :psyduck: I mean, in which part of the world is wrong to show her with her cool as gently caress horns-thing-crown-whatever

Edit: head and hair are like photoshoped as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Desperado Bones posted:

From what Spanish speaking country is that? :psyduck: I mean, in which part of the world is wrong to show her with her cool as gently caress horns-thing-crown-whatever

Edit: head and hair are like photoshoped as gently caress.

They had to counterbalance Thor's lack of long hair with four long-haired people.Three just wasn't doing the job.