Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

A fitting top to page 666.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Have to say, it's pretty cool that you get the new Uncharted game free if you bought the season pass for Uncharted 4.

If I recall correctly the pass only cost me around €8 when I got it with the game on launch day in Gamestop. At the time it was just going to be a couple of sets of cosmetic items and an unspecified single player episode at some point in the future but they are giving people the €40 spin off game as the single player DLC now.

I had even traded in my copy of UC4 and it still let me pre-order the new one for free last night.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

Have to say, it's pretty cool that you get the new Uncharted game free if you bought the season pass for Uncharted 4.

pretty sure it was always supposed to be part of the season pass but they decided to expand it into something bigger

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by8GP9xY5AI

Guerrilla's support of Horizon has been real good.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/PlayStationUK/status/899572556985925633

is it actual security for psn

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hahaha

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PS pro pro

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vita 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's a GT branded PS4 for sure

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Maybe they're announcing the PS5 for a november 2018 release? It would have been two years since the pro.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

PlayStation Four X

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PSVR 2.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
PS4 Pro Ultra

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'd be kinda livid if they announced a new console model in the near future. Looking at my most played games on the current ps4 its pretty eye opening how many favourites started on or are also available on ps3.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
PS4 Experience Professional
PS4 Grizzled Veteran
PS4 Respected Elder
PS4 Captain of Industry

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They called the fourth PS4 the PS4 1%

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
PS4 One P

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the PS4 spain twitter account posted the GIF with a car emoji so I'm gonna guess it's a GT themed PS4 Pro

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

Remember Fear Effect? It's back, in PS4 form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLG3VLiNnlw

Fear Effect is the game that invented Cel Shaded graphics and still actually looks pretty good, so let's remake it to look like a lovely PS2 game!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Sony jumped the gun a little on the Pro since it's kind of underpowered for its intended goal of 4k gaming without some serious sleight of hand. I don't think there's going to be another hardware update before the PS5 though.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

glam rock hamhock posted:

Fear Effect is the game that invented Cel Shaded graphics and still actually looks pretty good, so let's remake it to look like a lovely PS2 game!

Seriously, I was expecting guilty gear quality shading with a name like fear effect.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Remember all the leaks before the Pro?
The white papers?
It's not a new console

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Actually a PS5 releasing in November 2018 would be 5 years since the PS4. Technically five years was usually console life spans...could it be? A new console!?!?!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the PS4 spain twitter account posted the GIF with a car emoji so I'm gonna guess it's a GT themed PS4 Pro

Oh, that'd make sense. GT Sport is a pretty big deal and they even say "geared" in the tweet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

VideoGames posted:

Actually a PS5 releasing in November 2018 would be 5 years since the PS4. Technically five years was usually console life spans...could it be? A new console!?!?!

I don't think Sony has much of an incentive to jump the gun on a new console generation right now, they have like 65% of the home market and new hardware is a riskier and less profitable venture.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

What's the PS4 equivalent of an Xbox elite controller? I really want paddles.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm gonna be honest with myself and say that I actually kind of enjoyed the never-ending PS3/360/Wii generation that somehow lasted a decade. It feels like 2017 is the year that this generation finally got its grounding and we're seeing all these insanely good games coming out, and it'd be weird if we already jumped to a new thing just as developers are figuring it all out.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I'm gonna be honest with myself and say that I actually kind of enjoyed the never-ending PS3/360/Wii generation that somehow lasted a decade. It feels like 2017 is the year that this generation finally got its grounding and we're seeing all these insanely good games coming out, and it'd be weird if we already jumped to a new thing just as developers are figuring it all out.

I enjoyed it too but it's because I am a PC gamer at heart and like it when my system can still max out everything without having to upgrade every 6 months.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

What's the PS4 equivalent of an Xbox elite controller? I really want paddles.

Get a Cronusmax and use the elite controller. It's great.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gran Turismo Portable 2

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

glam rock hamhock posted:

Not quite. Mega Man Legends predates it by a good 3 years.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Strictly speaking neither Fear Effect or MML are actually cel-shaded, they both just very cleverly utilise styled textures.

As far as actual cel-shading goes, Jet Set Radio was the first (followed closely by..er, Wacky Races).

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

VideoGames posted:

Zero chance of this. This generation has just hit it's stride the past couple of years and still has a lot of life left in it. Consoles are way more complex than they used to be so the old 5-year span doesn't really work any more (unless the console has been a failure!).
I'd guess PS5 for 2020 or 2019 at the earliest.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I think Sony jumped the gun a little on the Pro since it's kind of underpowered for its intended goal of 4k gaming without some serious sleight of hand. I don't think there's going to be another hardware update before the PS5 though.

Nah its just 2 ps4s taped together they werent going to reinvent the wheel on a refresh. They read the market well too: Players concerned about specs who dont own a pc who actually read the fine print about checkerboarding vs 4k are a small group compared with gadget dads who got uhd tvs. The price they hit is tried and true too and the unit doesnt make their real cashcow the base ps4 obsolete.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 21, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Entirely new PSN built on modern principles!

edit: hail satan

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 21, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's the PSP 2

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

It's the PSP 2

I'm not against Sony jumping back into the handheld market, but they're gonna need a real long runup to compete with either the 3DS being cheap with 13 years of playable games (including the DS back-catalogue) or the Switch being a portable home console with built-in multiplayer.

They'd need a devil's bargain to keep it alive long-term :devil:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe because I'm playing though right now, but that crimson sheet just screams "Bloodborne 2" to me.

Pierson posted:

Yo my dad is considering a XIM4 so he can play some PS4-exclusive games. I'm looking for some recommendations for him. He likes first/third-person action-adventure stuff so at the moment I have:

The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted stuff

Anything else? I considered Until Dawn but that probably won't work since it's very QTE-dependent and he sucks at them on PC, nevermind if he had to match a PS4 shape to a keyboard button as well.

The Order: 1886 is gorgeous and cool, but was universally panned for basically just being exactly the game you are looking for, instead of the Van Helsing simulator it sold itself as. We were promised a gripping story of mutant werewolf intrigue, but it's basically just he prettiest cover shooter on PS4, until Horizon at least.

I bought it for $5 during a flash sale, so trying it out is cheaper than a fast food burger combo.