Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Slightly off topic: Remember the guy who sunk his home-made submarine with that female reporter?

He's up and admitted he buried her at sea. Then 'accidentally' sunk the submarine. Yeah, he's toast.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/dk/koebenhavns-politi/pressreleases/ulykke-ombord-paa-ubaaden-2114877

I guess that explains the recent burst of activity on the sub's FB page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

I agree with you but I feel like the shock is half hearted. We saw a lot of strong condemnation from republicans after Charlottesville but in my opinion it was just lip service.

It was 'Holy poo poo 2018 is going to suck if we don't play that we're condemning this'

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Madurai posted:

I guess that explains the recent burst of activity on the sub's FB page.

Is that the same sub that was built by the group that was building a sub orbital rocket? There were goons involved I believe.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

FrozenVent posted:

Is that the same sub that was built by the group that was building a sub orbital rocket? There were goons involved I believe.

Yep, although the guy split off from that group (Copenhagen Suborbitals) and was doing his own rocket thing (Rocket Madsen Space Lab).

The sub was his own project, pre-Copenhagen Suborbitals.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

They got nailed pretty good by a 30000 ton tanker, I don't think that any warship ever floated could just shrug that off.
Depends on where they were hit, warships used to be designed to float with just their citadel + a tube for the propeller shafts, the rest of the bow and stern were just hydrodynamic caps to make them handle better so as long as they don't get T-boned the ship would generally stay afloat.

USS Pittsburgh vs typhoon

USS Minneapolis vs torpedo

HMS Border/VP Adrias before/after a mine

e: just after I hit post I discover a ship that did get T-boned by a tanker and remained afloat, USS Murphy

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 21, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

CommieGIR posted:

It was 'Holy poo poo 2018 is going to suck if we don't play that we're condemning this'

My thoughts exactly. I don't believe they even secretly approve of the violence. But they want those independent and center right votes so gotta condemn those far right crazies without angering them enough to cause another tea party type internal revolt

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Wait, what? I got a mjolnir, but it was because my undergrad was in viking history and a bunch of us were dicking around Denmark. Is it a white power thing?

Oh yes. If I, here in Sweden, see a guy with a Mjolnir or some other viking related tattoo I peg him as being or have been on the nationalist side of things.

Of course a lot of chill dudes have these tattoos as well, but that's not my first thought.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Oh yes. If I, here in Sweden, see a guy with a Mjolnir or some other viking related tattoo I peg him as being or have been on the nationalist side of things.

Of course a lot of chill dudes have these tattoos as well, but that's not my first thought.

Same thing with people getting Roman Legion tattoos. Sure SPQR on your arm sounds cool when you're a history undergrad/grad student, but then you see all the White Nationalist dipshits doing it and then it's not as much fun. Friend of mine almost got one but I talked him out of it.

Current event, some F-15s just flew over my house doing a missing man formation (I live next to Arlington Cemetery). This is common, but what's not common was seeing the F-15 who did the missing man do a barrel roll while pulling up and kicking in a bit of afterburner for good measure.

Was pretty cool.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Nordic crap, Spartan/Punisher logos, SHEEPDOG, etc.

Not an exact science, but if I see these things you're trending the wrong way.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
My boss signs his emails with ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ.

It doesn't fill me with confidence.

e: forums didn't translate that well. It's molon labe. The Spartan "come and take them" battle cry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Nordic crap, Spartan/Punisher logos, SHEEPDOG, etc.

Not an exact science, but if I see these things you're trending the wrong way.

Three Percenter poo poo is usually a warning sign for me, that and Oath Keepers.

dscruffy1 posted:

My boss signs his emails with ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ.

It doesn't fill me with confidence.

e: forums didn't translate that well. It's molon labe. The Spartan "come and take them" battle cry.

Anytime someone spouts Molon Labe poo poo, I have to remind them that the Spartans hunted their farmers for sport and were genocidal/infanticidal fuckwits.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CommieGIR posted:

Anytime someone spouts Molon Labe poo poo, I have to remind them that the Spartans hunted their farmers for sport and were genocidal/infanticidal fuckwits.

Also homosexuality.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

when I see molon labe I think of moron labia

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Also homosexuality.

And wife swapping.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The entire 7th fleet is taking a safety standdown.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.019fb58e1561

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

when I see molon labe I think of moron labia

Moron label.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

psydude posted:

This was instigated by KJU in order to undermine our combat readiness in preparation for their strike on Guam

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

I love comment sections

quote:

Any Navy brass considered the possibility that an adversary in the western Pacific is testing some sort of navigation system jammer on us? Why aren't these incidents happening near Norfolk, San Diego and Naples?

Yup, Russian cloaking devices are jamming the mk 1 eyeball.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

They've sabotaged eyeballs before...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Russian's have been testing GPS jamming, but if you are navigating a strait you shouldn't be depending on GPS anyways, there should be lookouts.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Also surely these ships have over 9000 kinds of radar and such poo poo to detect objects heading towards and moving around the ship?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CommieGIR posted:

And wife swapping.

And pederasty.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

yup

There is a new guy in my shop who has that on his forearm. He's young and dumb from the looks of it so maybe all hope isn't lost. :lol:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Also homosexuality.

Yeah, but mostly only with young men, as part of mentoring them as warriors. Toughening them up, showing them the ropes, fitting them in with soldier-society...I know there's a Greek word for the practice...pedo-something?

Oh, right: pedagogy! Yeah, they were all systematic pedagogues.

E: serves me right for making my joke too long

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Asehujiko posted:

Depends on where they were hit, warships used to be designed to float with just their citadel + a tube for the propeller shafts, the rest of the bow and stern were just hydrodynamic caps to make them handle better so as long as they don't get T-boned the ship would generally stay afloat.

USS Pittsburgh vs typhoon

USS Minneapolis vs torpedo

HMS Border/VP Adrias before/after a mine

e: just after I hit post I discover a ship that did get T-boned by a tanker and remained afloat, USS Murphy

Watertight compartmentalization works.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm vaguely annoyed my rate symbol is a bunch of lightning bolts.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

It's you. You're the "well did you know George Washington owned slaves?!" guy at parties. Do you go around on Columbus Day reminding people that Christopher Columbus was in fact not good?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Normally that's true but counterpoint: Moron labia shirts and truck window stickers are loving lame so it's ok to do it in this situation

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's you. You're the "well did you know George Washington owned slaves?!" guy at parties. Do you go around on Columbus Day reminding people that Christopher Columbus was in fact not good?
I guess we'll just let them cling to their poorly thought out fantasy that they've based their extremist politics on then.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yes. Yes I do. Because Columbus was a shitheel.

Also: No, I don't do the "George Washington owned slaves" routine, because in the context they are attempting to use it (comparing Lee to Washington) is invalid, because Washington wasn't fighting a war for Abolition, whereas Lee knew what the Secession was about, still marched with the South, and regularly rounded up black families to send back to the Confederacy.

Oh, these same guys wearing the Molon Labe poo poo are the ones who also appose Gay Marriage and Gay Rights while praising a society that regularly endorsed such things.

And still: gently caress anyone that thinks the Spartans were cool other than their Battle Tactics, and its no surprise that people usually buying into the Molon Labe poo poo are the same ones spouting All Lives Matter and think the Tea Party was anything more than a white tantrum over a black guy being President.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 21, 2017

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

psydude posted:

The China Daily, a state newspaper posted:

The U.S. Navy “is becoming a dangerous obstacle in Asian waters”

:lol: well they're not wrong

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

think the Tea Party was anything more than a white tantrum over a black guy being President.

An astro-turfed to gently caress and back white tantrum. Basically take every single story about (((((GEORGE SOROS))))) and it's actually true for the Tea Party.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Anyone trying to compare lee to Washington should visit the museum and grounds of Mount Vernon. They are very upfront and thorough on discussing the fact that he was a slave owner. They do a good job of presenting the man rather than the mythical Founding Father that republicans like to lean on when trying to use Old Dead Guy Quotes to argue for a modern political position. When I went last summer there were archaeologists working to exhume skeletons of slaves from the unmarked slave cemetery on the property; you could get right up within a couple feet of them and see them working. They were very cognizant of how sensitive this is and were very careful and respectful of the skeletons. Another tourist watching with me broke down in tears. Really something that's going to stick with me for a while.

Meanwhile Lee has been repainted as a reluctant general trying to do the right thing for his state, whose military brilliance was overcome by technology and sheer force and as a man who hated slavery.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
:toxx: Trump is gonna call confederate generals "true patriots" this week.

If he doesn't probate me for a week.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

:toxx: Trump is gonna call confederate generals "true patriots" this week.

If he doesn't probate me for a week.

no backsies

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Pioneer Press put out an article about the Confederate flag the 1st Minnesota captured at Gettysburg. Virginia has asked for it back many times and we've told them to get hosed every time. Lots of whining in the comments section about how the Civil War wasn't about slavery.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Current event here in Nashville: The sun is roughly one quarter covered by the moon. It's awesome.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Canemacar posted:

Current event here in Nashville: The sun is roughly one quarter covered by the moon. It's awesome.

Got 98.5% totality here on the edge of Omaha. Think Fauxton is down in Kearney or Beatrice for the big deal.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'm in central Ontario (Sudbury) and its just starting but it's overcast at the moment so I can't see poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Clouds here in MD, hoping they break soon.

• Locked thread