Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I love the way the FBI is portrayed in Twin Peaks: hyper-competent with supernatural nightmares, but totally out of their depth calling in the right Douglas and Jane Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

i hope the electric shock makes dougie twice as slow

yes hello me too.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

oneforthevine posted:

I love the way the FBI is portrayed in Twin Peaks: hyper-competent with supernatural nightmares, but totally out of their depth calling in the right Douglas and Jane Jones.

Hey, don't hate on all of them just cause Wilson doesn't know what they do in the FBI.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My wife hates twin peaks and David Lynch stuff. If I ever try to show her anything she rolls her eyes. I just showed her the "THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THE FBI" and she absolutely cracked up laughing. It's a great scene!

edit:

-What the gently caress was up with the crawling woman at the end?
-We finally saw that there are many rooms above the convenience store. Pity we didn't get another crazycakes formica table/garmonbozia scene.
-Poor duncan todd. I know someone called duncan todd IRL.

redreader fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 21, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

redreader posted:

-What the gently caress was up with the crawling woman at the end?

IDK, she was disrespected and effortlessly overpowered by a couple of strangers, and even though those bikers didn't harm her physically, I guess the sense of powerlessness and dehumanization (perhaps echoing ways she's been treated before as a physically diminutive person) pushed her over the edge into a full-blown episode. I thought it was a very emotionally clear little vignette.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Supercar Gautier posted:

IDK, she was disrespected and effortlessly overpowered by a couple of strangers, and even though those bikers didn't harm her physically, I guess the sense of powerlessness and dehumanization (perhaps echoing ways she's been treated before as a physically diminutive person) pushed her over the edge into a full-blown episode. I thought it was a very emotionally clear little vignette.

:captainpop:

She was stoned and the song caused a bad trip

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:captainpop:

She was stoned and the song caused a bad trip

She was an audience surrogate, waiting for Dougie, and she finally lost her goddamn mind when he attempted to kill himself via electro shock therapy.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah i took it to be a disorientating harbinger that some p bad things are coming twin peaks way next episode

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Man, what an amazing episode. For a few seconds I thought that they'll just show Jeffries in the darkness, but nope, he's just a weird bell-kettle-man now. Still hope that we can here a cover of one of Bowie's songs in the Roadhouse, though.
Also, It sounded like the music in the credits had a sample of Super Mario shooting fireballs at few points, which would be amusing, given the tone of the scene.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Vookatos posted:

Man, what an amazing episode. For a few seconds I thought that they'll just show Jeffries in the darkness, but nope, he's just a weird bell-kettle-man now. Still hope that we can here a cover of one of Bowie's songs in the Roadhouse, though.
Also, It sounded like the music in the credits had a sample of Super Mario shooting fireballs at few points, which would be amusing, given the tone of the scene.

They could just bring in Michael C. Hall to perform one of the Lazarus songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nwHq_Xs9hw

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
So what I've been mulling over is... the "place above the convience store" apparently is not part of the Black Lodge. Otherwise Booper wouldn't be caught dead there.

Yet, the woodsmen and Phillip Jeffries are there.

Also another thing I noticed: they are explicitly linking the woodsmen with the two characters we saw in the convencience store scene in FWWM. One does the electric box thing Prochnow does and does the thing with the cane another one did.

We've seen Mrs. Tremond in that place, is the lady in the robe Mrs. Tremond?

And what I most want to know, not necessarily in a lore way but like a meta way: what is the place above the convencience store? Some kind of neutral meeting ground for lodge spirits?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The woodsmen were there in the original 'above the convenience store' scene.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

redreader posted:

The woodsmen were there in the original 'above the convenience store' scene.

They didn't have their new soot-look, but I'm fine with it if it's a retcon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Huh look at that, two Coopers. I never quite grasped the significance of that shot in this scene before even though Season 2 ends with Bad Cooper escaping the Red Room and leaving Good Cooper stuck inside.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

Some dumb stuff that came to mind while watching the episode:

Could the blood mouth jail guy be to someone like Dougie was to Coop? It reminded me of Dougie how he echos everything that he hears.

Screaming girl at the end with the strobe light reminded me of Laura's scary scenes in the black lodge. Could she be waiting for Laura or somethin idk

thanks

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loving love ZZ Top.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

esperterra posted:

I loving love ZZ Top.

I think the reason they didn't appear in the episode would be that it would be too tough to top their last big appearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHTMm4jee_8

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As weird as it is to not have either Donna on the show, I do appreciate that her sister is getting up to some poo poo. A season without any Haywards would be kind of odd, imo.

Poor Gersten. Should have kept on playin' piano.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've been thinking about the fact we learned in the episode BEFORE this last one - that Janey-E is really Janey Evans, Diane's sister (half-sister?) and I have just decided that I simply cannot accept this as any sort of a coincidence.

The implication seems pretty clear to me, based on Diane's presumed association with Bad Coop...

By the way, brief digression: I refuse to ever use the name B*****r because I think Bad Coop would find it silly and offensive and glare at me malevolently and consider whether to kill or maim me if I called him that and really just seeing it used here KILLS MY IMMERSION!!

...Ahem, so anyway. I was watching Episode 3/4 again, and it just really beggars belief that when Cooper finally comes "home" at the end and finds "the house with the red door" (and I may point out here that RED has been more strongly associated with Diane in terms of attire than any other character since TMFAP really) he is greeted by a wife who just happens to be the sister of his former secretary with whom we know he communicated closely and had absolute trust in. Way, way too much of a coincidence.

Only thing I wonder is just how much Diane really knows. And what really happened that one night between her and Cooper.

Part of me is holding out hope for a DoppelCoop flashback to events right after he got out of the lodge but... Logistically I don't really quite see how Lynch could pull that off. Kyle Maclachlan may look fairly ageless but 25 years is 25 years.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

Related: it might've been me not having a good night's sleep but I thought Chantal was Janey-E at first when she goes in to kill Mr. Todd.

Now that would've been a twist.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I don't know if anyone here has watched Portlandia recently, but it's so jarring and almost upsetting (to see Coop outside of Twin Peaks after all we've been through in season 3)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ed and Norma aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
So I assume the portal where the FBI saw Ruth Davenport's body leads to wherever the hell Mr C went last night? It had the staircase, the burnt men, and that wallpaper in the background. Isn't that where Major Birggs was "hibernating" as well?

Also, my guess - "Judy" is living inside Sarah Palmer.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh yeah, I forgot to post about it, but omg ed and norma. grinning ear to ear for that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I guess we should call the place above the convenience store "The Dutchman's"? That's what Ray called it previously.

Also, does anyone think there's anything at all to my "Steven is freaking out because he killed Becky" theory, or am I just talking poo poo?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Walrus posted:

oh yeah, I forgot to post about it, but omg ed and norma. grinning ear to ear for that.

I hope they get married and she somehow has a kid! They deserve it!

ALso, I forgot who posted it, but I've been thinking more and more about how Mickey killed himself and how upset they both were and think the other poster nailed it with he probably killed Becky.

Escobarbarian posted:

So I guess we should call the place above the convenience store "The Dutchman's"? That's what Ray called it previously.

Also, does anyone think there's anything at all to my "Steven is freaking out because he killed Becky" theory, or am I just talking poo poo?

Hey! Yup, I think that's probably whats going on.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

As a Dutchman, I would like to disavow any knowledge of interdimensional spaces containing David Bowie tea kettles.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FSFunky posted:

So what I've been mulling over is... the "place above the convience store" apparently is not part of the Black Lodge. Otherwise Booper wouldn't be caught dead there.

Also another thing I noticed: they are explicitly linking the woodsmen with the two characters we saw in the convencience store scene in FWWM. One does the electric box thing Prochnow does and does the thing with the cane another one did.

We've seen Mrs. Tremond in that place, is the lady in the robe Mrs. Tremond?

And what I most want to know, not necessarily in a lore way but like a meta way: what is the place above the convencience store? Some kind of neutral meeting ground for lodge spirits?

That's a good point and one I thought about too. I don't have any really full formed ideas on it yet, but I think the portals are a clue. Portals have been seen to carry people off to both the convenience store realm (which I had until now thought of as the black lodge tbh), as well as the Jackrabbit’s Palace/Purple Sea/White Lodge area. The black lodge/red room/waiting room is accessed in a different way, although the fadeout that people do when people enter it is similar to what we see when people go through the sky portals.

Who the gently caress knows. Great show.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, another thing, what was the gunshot in the woods scene if it wasn't Steven killing the dogwalking witness? Suicide?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I can see it, but I was so lost in that scene, unless we get confirmation later I'm pretty open to what happened

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

The Walrus posted:

That's a good point and one I thought about too. I don't have any really full formed ideas on it yet, but I think the portals are a clue. Portals have been seen to carry people off to both the convenience store realm (which I had until now thought of as the black lodge tbh), as well as the Jackrabbit’s Palace/Purple Sea/White Lodge area. The black lodge/red room/waiting room is accessed in a different way, although the fadeout that people do when people enter it is similar to what we see when people go through the sky portals.

Who the gently caress knows. Great show.

I haven't seen FWWM in a while, but doesn't Laura enter the red room through the door she sees in her painting (the convencience store realm)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FSFunky posted:

The woodsmen yes. Jeffries? Not sure. It was more like he used the convenience store to travel to somewhere else. It looked like a motel in the real world. It could have still been in another realm but who knows? The woman was certainly part of the lodges but maybe she just acts as a kind of agent for situations like this.

The Walrus posted:

Oh, another thing, what was the gunshot in the woods scene if it wasn't Steven killing the dogwalking witness? Suicide?

That would be the most likely answer until we see otherwise.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 21, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FSFunky posted:

I haven't seen FWWM in a while, but doesn't Laura enter the red room through the door she sees in her painting (the convencience store realm)

It happens in a dream but basically yes.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The Walrus posted:

We see the dog walker later, so he is still alive. Probably suicide.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

That's what Ray called it, "The Dutchman's", but it's rather unclear whether that meant the Motel-like place that Coop went to, because it seemed to me that he somehow used The Room Above the Convenience Store to go somewhere else. He asks the Woodsman with black liquid dripping out his mouth about Philip Jeffries, the switch flips and we got visible and audible electricity and a creepy flash to a combo of The Jumping Man's face, Sarah Palmer's face, and I actually think a third person's face all flashing around. Then it's pack to normal, and the bald and beard Woodsman (whom we have seen several times, both in 1945, 1956, and in the modern day 'healing' Evil Cooper.

But the interesting thing is that Evil Coop waits for the Woodsman with the crap coming out his mouth to take a wooden staff out and thump on the floor, as if making sure it's safe to walk on. Then the bald and bearded Woodsman beckons and leads Coopers through a dark corridor (which seems to also be the ghostwood or a forest) and into room with the staircase that Cole saw in his vision - a black staircase. At the top of that, he opens a door that leads outside (and to what seems to be the paved ground floor of a seedy motel, which seems odd. I got the implication that this seedy motel was not accessible through any normal means, and the backwards-speaking person who unlocks the door to Room 8 would seem to confirm that this is a plane like where the Giant is, or where The Red Room. I think. It was notable that Jeffries spoke normally, and also sounded nothing like the person Bad Coop talked to in episode 2 who said "You're going back in tomorrow, and Bob will be with me." Still curious as to who that may have been.

Another thing... The Room above the Convenience Store where Bad Coop first went to, with the floral wallpaper. That seems to be the same place Laura went when she had her ominous dream. Identical floral wallpaper, similar rooms... In fact, the picture she was given by Mrs. Tremont seemed to be OF THAT PLACE, the room above the Convenience Store. Which may account for why just the picture itself had so much power as to cause a dream like that.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxRnwyYj72c

Sam faded floral wallpaper, or... Very nearly the same.

edit: Also that video is a really annoying fan edit and actually doesn't have all the content I want like Mrs. Tremond beckoning her from one room into another but I can't find just actual clean footage of the scene, just more goddamn fan-edits :rolleyes: Why do people think they're improving things by trying to make Lynch "more coherent" or something with these awful edits.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 21, 2017

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
The dog walker was Mark Frost, by the way. Credited as the reporter he appeared as in S2E1.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Zmej posted:

I can see it, but I was so lost in that scene, unless we get confirmation later I'm pretty open to what happened

Yeah, that's where I'm at. Makes a fair amount of sense, but it's by no means clear. The trailer window which the camera fixated on was already broken during their previous fight, I believe. Admitedly, I didn't have subtitles on, so I missed most of the dialogue. He clearly didn't shoot her because Carl didn't notice anything.

Cromulent posted:

The dog walker was Mark Frost, by the way. Credited as the reporter he appeared as in S2E1.

:aaa:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FSFunky posted:

Oh yes, you're right. And that scene explicitly links the convenience store and the red room. so why is cooper willing to go to the convenience store when the lodge wants him back so bad? Maybe the red room really isn't the black lodge after all.

edit: but ofc as someone mentioned that scene is a dream so any half logic that may have applied doesn't necessarily need to. or maybe it does.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Supercar Gautier posted:

She'd been in that booth waiting for Audrey for like 5 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Walrus posted:

Oh yes, you're right. And that scene explicitly links the convenience store and the red room. so why is cooper willing to go to the convenience store when the lodge wants him back so bad? Maybe the red room really isn't the black lodge after all.

edit: but ofc as someone mentioned that scene is a dream so any half logic that may have applied doesn't necessarily need to. or maybe it does.

The red room is just the "waiting room" isn't it? I guess Cooper now has access to the lodge without needing to interact with Mike and the arm. It felt like he was taking a back way. Or the lodges cross over and aren't distinct things, or are many distinct things in one other place. It blew up everything I thought about bad Cooper anyway and now I'm wondering if he might actually be bad Cooper for good reasons or something.