Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I just randomly did a search on the Gargoyles episode involving the use of guns and apparently the episode was immediately pulled from reruns after airing. How bout dem apples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's on the first season DVD set. Kind of a message heavy episode, but done really well in a way that informs who Broadway is for the rest of the series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SurrealReso/status/899314366746685442

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Inkspot posted:

It's on the first season DVD set. Kind of a message heavy episode, but done really well in a way that informs who Broadway is for the rest of the series.

One of my favorite bits about it's aftermath is how it changes Broadway's media preferences, he first likes Westerns, but after that episode his preference switches over to Detective stories where the heroes use their brains and fists to solve their problems instead of guns

Really though anyone here who hasn't seen Gargoyles yet(or at the least hasn't seen in the approximately 15 years or so since the last time it reran on TV anywhere) should go buy the three DVD sets for the show's first two seasons* on Amazon as you can get the three of them for about 30 bucks or so, and it's still one of the best action cartoons of all time

*the third season has never been released on DVD, but except for it's first episode isn't considered canon anyways

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

all of it's on iTunes now at least.

Even the Goliath Chronicles.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

drrockso20 posted:

One of my favorite bits about it's aftermath is how it changes Broadway's media preferences, he first likes Westerns, but after that episode his preference switches over to Detective stories where the heroes use their brains and fists to solve their problems instead of guns

Going from "likes food" to "the reliable one who mostly wants to read Shakespeare with his girlfriend" is such a good arc.

I appreciated a fair amount of The Goliath Chronicles on my last rewatch, but the SLG comics got super hard to follow. I guess they're all out in TPB now? I mostly remember the Timedancer stuff feeling really crammed in at the end.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll admit I find Mr Enter entertaining. I know he's pretentious but he has pretty funny moments, like in the recent review of the Totally Spies episode where they open a door with a can opener, he tries to figure out live how the hell that would even work, trying every possible movement in bewilderment.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I usually agree with Mr Enter's opinions about cartoons but I really really hate his voice and his attempts at humor usually fall flat and last too long.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I actually like him just fine. He's a weirdo and I don't always agree with him, but he's a harmless weirdo and even his bad opinions tend to be fairly well-thought-out.

I just find his never-ending war on Teen Titans Go hilarious.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

but he's a harmless weirdo

outside of the Casey Alexander incident (though while I don't usually watch his videos I heard he stopped directly talking about the writers themselves afterwards)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

outside of the Casey Alexander incident (though while I don't usually watch his videos I heard he stopped directly talking about the writers themselves afterwards)

The what now?

And I used to like Mr. Enter, but the combination of the TTG vendetta and the fact that he's just not loving good at speaking got to be too much.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Waffleman_ posted:

The what now?

And I used to like Mr. Enter, but the combination of the TTG vendetta and the fact that he's just not loving good at speaking got to be too much.

One of his reviews of an episode of Spongebob really went off on a particular writer, and a bunch of his viewers proceeded to harass her on twitter. He later took down the video and re-made the review apologizing about the incident and not heaping so much blame on her.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Casey's a guy

also a pilot he created with Lizz Hickey (the creator of Jammers, which he had also co-wrote/boarded) for Nick that hasn't been released yet looks interesting

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 20, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pakled posted:

One of his reviews of an episode of Spongebob really went off on a particular writer, and a bunch of his viewers proceeded to harass her on twitter. He later took down the video and re-made the review apologizing about the incident and not heaping so much blame on her.

that... sounds like the problem isn't exactly him, then?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Casey's a guy

also a pilot he created with Lizz Hickey (the creator of Jammers, which he had also co-wrote/boarded) for Nick that hasn't been released yet looks interesting

that was like
possibly the grossest and dumbest cartoon pilot I ever watched (kid makes a girlfriend for friend out of his fart? kid turns into a toilet and asks his friend to poo in him? what the hell is this poo poo), so I have no interest in this despite the nice screenshot

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Hemingway To Go! posted:

that was like
possibly the grossest and dumbest cartoon pilot I ever watched (kid makes a girlfriend for friend out of his fart? kid turns into a toilet and asks his friend to poo in him? what the hell is this poo poo), so I have no interest in this despite the nice screenshot

it looks and sounds like something Shmorky would make

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Inkspot posted:

Going from "likes food" to "the reliable one who mostly wants to read Shakespeare with his girlfriend" is such a good arc.

I appreciated a fair amount of The Goliath Chronicles on my last rewatch, but the SLG comics got super hard to follow. I guess they're all out in TPB now? I mostly remember the Timedancer stuff feeling really crammed in at the end.

That's because they had to cut the comic series short when Disney raised the price of the Gargoyles license out of reach.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I just got done watching an episode of The Loud House where Lincoln's family think he's bad luck so they exclude him from all family events, lock him out of his room, sell his furniture, and make him sleep in the yard.

How does no one else see how bad this show is? I swear I'm the only one in the planet that's noticed. :tinfoil:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, judging by the fanart of it that pops up in the PYF fanart thread, a lot of its audience is broken perverts, so I don't think they're going to be very discerning.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

readingatwork posted:

So I just got done watching an episode of The Loud House where Lincoln's family think he's bad luck so they exclude him from all family events, lock him out of his room, sell his furniture, and make him sleep in the yard.

How does no one else see how bad this show is? I swear I'm the only one in the planet that's noticed. :tinfoil:

People generally like the idea of The Loud House more than the actual show itself

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm vaguely reminded of the episode of The Proud Family where Al Roker* turns Penny's baby siblings into teenagers, and they become so popular that Penny's friends don't like her any more.

* it's a running plot point on TPF that TV weatherman Al Roker is a Mephistophelean figure who can manifest in your home and grant your wishes, with sinister consequences.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Every sitcom-like series has those weird episodes where something happens to alienate the main character from everyone else and everything goes back to status quo by the end. There's probably a trope page for it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Every sitcom-like series has those weird episodes where something happens to alienate the main character from everyone else and everything goes back to status quo by the end. There's probably a trope page for it.

And they're almost always some of the worst episodes of any series that features them

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

* it's a running plot point on TPF that TV weatherman Al Roker is a Mephistophelean figure who can manifest in your home and grant your wishes, with sinister consequences.

I remember that and it owned

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Be careful what you wish for" storylines are always good, especially when the plot device that takes the place of the "monkey's paw" is creatively written.

Xelkelvos posted:

I agree that this feels familiar from multiple TV shows and it's usually not believable writing when it happens. I made a post on TVTropes asking about it

Edit: Someone replied that it's a combination of Easily Condemned with Status Quo Is God.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Monkey's paw wishes and the like can be done very well when they involve exploring a different take on the established setting and character dynamics. Was kinda the whole point of 'It's A Wonderful Life' and all.

Also reminded of the common 'You time travelled to the future, and now everything's hosed sideways without you' thing, I recall Teen Titans and 2000s-era TMNT did it. The whole thing where your future self doesn't exist because you disappeared when you time travelled.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Shitenshi posted:

I just randomly did a search on the Gargoyles episode involving the use of guns and apparently the episode was immediately pulled from reruns after airing. How bout dem apples.

They did air this episode repeatedly when it was on Toon Disney, though they cut off the graphic scene of Eliza lying in a pool of her own blood.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Really though anyone here who hasn't seen Gargoyles yet(or at the least hasn't seen in the approximately 15 years or so since the last time it reran on TV anywhere) should go buy the three DVD sets for the show's first two seasons* on Amazon as you can get the three of them for about 30 bucks or so, and it's still one of the best action cartoons of all time

*the third season has never been released on DVD, but except for it's first episode isn't considered canon anyways

I also really like how it actively affected future stories. There's one where, I believe, Demona is only able to hurt Eliza because the latter can't get to her gun... because she now puts it in a lockbox like you're supposed to instead of leaving it hanging in the holster.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

People generally like the idea of The Loud House more than the actual show itself

Yeah I think that's it. It strikes me as the kind of show that few outside its target demographic pay attention to so when people make judgement calls on it they go by the little bits they once saw their younger family members watching. They see that the show has a good art style, decent voice acting, a diverse cast and some good character moments and assume the actual writing of the show is just as good as all the other stuff.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I also really like how it actively affected future stories. There's one where, I believe, Demona is only able to hurt Eliza because the latter can't get to her gun... because she now puts it in a lockbox like you're supposed to instead of leaving it hanging in the holster.

I was going to mention that bit but forgot to

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm vaguely reminded of the episode of The Proud Family where Al Roker* turns Penny's baby siblings into teenagers, and they become so popular that Penny's friends don't like her any more.

The Proud Family was mediocre even by the standards of its day but small touches like that made me wish that it was a better show. I remember the Kwanzaa episode being kind of amazing for how openly cynical and disapproving it was about how shallow and commercialized Christmas has become, after a childhood full of specials dedicated to acting like opening presents on Christmas morning was The Second Coming having a much more grounded and dismissive portrayal where the kids unwrap their toys in seconds and then retreat to their rooms to play leaving their parents dazed and alone kind of kicked rear end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a lot of kids shows, like Rugrats, where the parents end up being by far more interesting.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Gaz-L posted:

Elisa got to her gun in time, it's just that she was only suspicious when she got it and Demona ambushed her. She was fine, though, because Demona's dart hit Elisa's badge (which is another nice touch: a badge can't really stop a bullet but it can stop a dart).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's a lot of kids shows, like Rugrats, where the parents end up being by far more interesting.

That lead actor from Reptar on Ice was a goddamn hero working the interruption into the performance like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

That lead actor from Reptar on Ice was a goddamn hero working the interruption into the performance like that.

quote:

There's some kids
On the ice!
What's a dinosaur to do?
Somebody call their mom!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Thinking on it - would a lot of the shows that feel mean spirited, like Catdog, have been helped by being more even handed? The characters in Catdog always seemed to be particularly lovely to Cat, but while they ribbed on Dog for his abnormality they at least considered him worth considering in any way - would the show have been improved if it shat on everyone equally? Like giving Cat his own group of friends to exclude Dog at times, that kind of thing.

In shows with terrible people, let everyone be terrible to everyone else and it feels less hateful - Rick and Morty has every character have terrible poo poo happen to them, but they are all terrible people in turn due to situations/influences that make them that way - it feels less hateful because everyone gets the brunt of it, although Jerry gets it a bit more, so it feels less "Everybody Hates Jerry" and more "the Universe is poo poo, deal with it" which is ironically more hopeful than it should be.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Thinking on it - would a lot of the shows that feel mean spirited, like Catdog, have been helped by being more even handed? The characters in Catdog always seemed to be particularly lovely to Cat, but while they ribbed on Dog for his abnormality they at least considered him worth considering in any way - would the show have been improved if it shat on everyone equally? Like giving Cat his own group of friends to exclude Dog at times, that kind of thing.

In shows with terrible people, let everyone be terrible to everyone else and it feels less hateful - Rick and Morty has every character have terrible poo poo happen to them, but they are all terrible people in turn due to situations/influences that make them that way - it feels less hateful because everyone gets the brunt of it, although Jerry gets it a bit more, so it feels less "Everybody Hates Jerry" and more "the Universe is poo poo, deal with it" which is ironically more hopeful than it should be.

I feel the best way to handle those scenarios is to have it so the character in question can push back once in a while

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also I think I figured out the riddle of how they poop when they have no butt - they are both assholes! :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Also I think I figured out the riddle of how they poop when they have no butt - they are both assholes! :v:

I dont remember Dog being particularly caustic. Dumb as a brick but not malicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't remember the show that well, but wasn't Cat like Squidward?