Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jedit posted:

No, the (IIRC) card-based two player duelling game.

Second time someone's brought up En Garde! The RPG this week though. I really might have to pick up the moderation software again.

I remember playing a long time ago. Killed a Cardinal (Bishop? Some church brass or other) in a duel and fleeing Paris to die fighting the Spanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I recommend GMT trays for The Colonists. The small tiles fit well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

L5R looks really cool but it looks really freaking detail oriented and I'd only be able to play with another gamer rather than my very causal wife or something. I keep hoping for a LCG that will scratch the same itch MtG does (pick up and play with nothing required but cards and a decent playerbase) for me but I don't think that's realistic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Goon game of New Angeles crashing and burning super hard because of ransom demands by Fellis in round three despite there being no federalist (allegedly).

"gently caress you pay me"
"no gently caress you, burn this city to the ground"
"ok."
10 threat track progress

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Shoulda fuckin paid me

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Secrets is a great social deduction game that combines The Resistance with a reverse Love Letter mechanic. It plays quickly and has a lot of turn to turn strategy and meaningful choices. I'm so over Avalon and Resistance and this is a worthy successor. The main downfall though is that you can get team switched at the last turn, thereby wasting your entire game and work you put into scoring points for your team or hurting enemies. Worst of all, you have no idea if or when your team gets switched. Mechanically that encourages people to discuss information they have and try to work out who's who which you can still do, and the game plays quickly enough that an annoying last second team switch that causes you to be on the losing team isn't too frustrating. The core gameplay mechanic of offering another player 1 of 2 cards (they know the two you have, but you can lie about what you're giving them) is engaging enough to put this at the top of social deductions for me for now.

I really wanted to check this out but never quite got around to it so I'm glad to hear it was good. It'll probably go on the list since I'm a sucker for social deduction games.

Like you, I didn't seem to enthralled by a lot of the big new stuff. I pretty much skirted FFG and Asmodee since they had pretty serious lines the whole time I was there, it seemed.

I did sit down and demo The Walking Dead: All Out War and while I"m not really a fan of TWD, it seemed like an interesting enough game. Neat little free-for-all scavenging game with minis.

Also picked up Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu thanks to your tip, BL! Excited to put that on the table since everyone I game with really enjoys Pandemic and the Cthulhu theme.

Asked a few questions at the Z-Man booth about Tragedy Looper and picked it up as well. I definitely enjoy asymmetrical games, and I'll essentially be the designated mastermind which is totally fine with me.

We did end up nabbing Evolution and I'm excited to try that out.

My fiancee was really interested in seeing This War of Mine so we waltzed over to the Ares booth for a demo. We kinda struggled in the demo cuz two of the people just obviously wanted to make ~*~wacky~*~ decisions ("hey, let's put this guy in danger, he's a TV host and a chef, I hate TV hosts!"), but we did see enough of it that I think it'll be interesting as an experience generating deal. It's not exactly a game, but I found it to be kinda neat so we got a copy.

Other than that, my fiancee bought an assload of random RPG books because she collects random poo poo that has monsters in it cuz she enjoys bestiary stuff. I picked up the Shadowrun: Anarchy rulebook and a Maria Mercurial t-shirt from Catalyst. I also got a mini figure to use for the sheriff in Sheriff of Nottingham.

We had a fantastic time this year with only one event (the D20 Burlesque on Saturday night) and just spending two days wandering the exhibition hall.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I looked it up and correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like Portal Games and Kosmos were both there (unless it was just people trying to talk about the games by those companies and not people actually affiliated with those companies). I saw that there was a Portal Neuroshima Hex thing and a Kosmos Exit The Game thing, but all it mentions on the website is that the Neuroshima Hex thing is for teaching people how to play that game and the Kosmos thing is just a demonstration of the EXIT The Game series using a small demo version they made called The Premiere.

In short, what I want to know is this. Were Portal Games and Kosmos actually at Gencon? Did they show off any of the upcoming Neuroshima Hex or EXIT The Game entries respectively?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Exit stuff was there, didn't see Neuroshima Hex personally but can't be sure if it was there or not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's probably time to start discussing if there's going to be a goonmeet at Spiel this year (or at least, an attempt to do so).

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Exit stuff was there, didn't see Neuroshima Hex personally but can't be sure if it was there or not.

I swear I walked by a Neuroshima Hex banner but now I'm thinkin I just went crazy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Tried out Spirit Island, it was kind of neat. Assymetric powers, a variety of choices, made it seem better than just your typical 'put out fires as they come up' coop game. Person teaching it was really bad though.

Also got Burgle Bros and got it signed by the designer, which I was happy with. Really the only thing I wanted but didn't get this weekend was Ex Libris, which sold out in the first 20 minutes of the con.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Rising Sun was good, definitely better than Blood Rage but like New Angeles it could fall apart if people don't buy into the politics and negotiation stuff. With a good group it will be fantastic though. Similar to Blood Rage, I imagine all the Kickstarter expansion crap won't add anything of value to the game so it'll be a good retail purchase if your group likes that type of thing.
I'd like to hear about this. I didn't like that the politics/negotiation weren't rules enforced (was initially hoping it was more like shogun/senji), but if it's serviceable, that'd be good. How easy do you think it would be to play this with blocks/cubes instead of minis? My friend and I were originally planning to only get the minis for our mini armies.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

GrandpaPants posted:

Don't forget "people who are willing to negotiate," which has been an issue in the Archipelago games I've played. Pfft like I'm just going to sac up Fish that I farmed with my action for free. I didn't cause the natives to revolt, everyone's inaction did!

I was also accused of sinking the game, which I guess is also technically true, but I knew I was in a losing position and holding the game hostage for ransom seemed sorta in the spirit of things. But nobody paid the ransom so tax tax tax everyone loses!

Technically this issue is supposed to be resolved by the fact that Archipelago is a scored semi-coop rather than a purely competitive game. The rulebook specifically lays out the idea that a last place victory is intended to be a better result for the person in last place than a group defeat, and only the separatist actually wins in a revolt. I know some groups really, really don't like this, but that's supposed to be the solution to the problem of people refusing to negotiate.

Archipelago is one of my favorite games, but I think this is probably a major reason that it doesn't go over well with every group. It expects you to be a dick, but it expects your dickishness to be a kind of brinksmanship rather than something you ever fully commit to.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Morpheus posted:

Tried out Spirit Island, it was kind of neat. Assymetric powers, a variety of choices, made it seem better than just your typical 'put out fires as they come up' coop game. Person teaching it was really bad though.

I got to play half a demo game of Spirit Island at the con too. I thought it was a hell of a lot of fun, with the asymmetric powers helping to prevent quarterbacking. The fear cards are fun too, everyone at the table cheered whenever we managed to trigger one. I'm concerned about how re-playable it would be though. From what I saw, the initial board position is the same for every game. I suppose that rotating which spirit you play as would help with that.

I also had a not great teacher for the demo. I played several games from them during the con and wasn't really impressed with any of their staffers or volunteers. That pushed me into the don't buy category for two of their games. One of them couldn't resist pointing out everything they didn't like about the game, lol.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Gen con games round up: Would love to hear more about the new l5r. Desperately wanted to demo but could not justify making my gf stand in line with me for it.

Tried a bunch of games, notable let downs were Lisboa and Whistle Stop. Lisboa's tracking of prices on building is like the punchline to a joke about heavy euro games turning into accounting problems. Whistle stop just wasn't involved enough to sustain interest.

Surprised by the quality of Century Spice Road, which is Better Splendor, Yinsh (not new) as a dynamite 2p abstract, and Junk art was a good party game. Navegador was new to us but was awesome, a con highlight. Get it if you like heavy market games but would like a faster one. Ruhr looked interesting but we didn't get a chance to demo it.

Potion explosion was merely ok, but we did demo with the worst people we meet at the convention so it might be better under other contexts.

Don't play cryptozoic games even if your friends really want to.

Picked up some kickass wargames at the auction. Very excited to get no retreat the Eastern front, sekigahara, and maria to the table soon :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Impermanent posted:

Picked up some kickass wargames at the auction. Very excited to get no retreat the Eastern front, sekigahara, and maria to the table soon :)

Lucky, lucky! Now you have to get Triumph and Tragedy and Napoleon's Triumph. :evilbuddy: I still have to get the 3e card deck for no retreat.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

LLSix posted:

I got to play half a demo game of Spirit Island at the con too. I thought it was a hell of a lot of fun, with the asymmetric powers helping to prevent quarterbacking. The fear cards are fun too, everyone at the table cheered whenever we managed to trigger one. I'm concerned about how re-playable it would be though. From what I saw, the initial board position is the same for every game. I suppose that rotating which spirit you play as would help with that.

I also had a not great teacher for the demo. I played several games from them during the con and wasn't really impressed with any of their staffers or volunteers. That pushed me into the don't buy category for two of their games. One of them couldn't resist pointing out everything they didn't like about the game, lol.

Well, there are quite a few spirits, some of which look like they play quite differently from each other (one generated low amounts of energy, but putting presence on the board revealed element icons to use his two separate innate power streams. Plus, depending on the boards you play on, you'll start in different locations, as much as that matters. It suspect variance in the fear cards would also work to vary things.

Anyway, wouldn't mind playing it again with a full four players (only had three).

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I won my first game of Agricola today! :toot:

Ended up with about 27 points; would've been around 28 or so if I had played my cards right during the last round, but oh well. Next highest scoring person was the person who had never played Agricola before, at 26. This was probably because both of us were pretty quick to set up our food engine and start cranking out babies, while my brother and his girlfriend were focused on occupations and a crap ton of fields, respectively. This was still probably the tightest game of Agricola we've ever played, though.

In other games, I finally said "screw it," and played Space Alert with the full rules for the first time with 5 players, piecemeal tutorial be damned. It didn't go well. :v: I think everyone else was pretty confused about how the rules for Battlebots worked (probably my fault; I'm not always the best at explaining the rules in a way normal people can understand), which resulted in a lot of panicked flailing around when the commandos beamed aboard. I think what actually doomed us though, was that one of the players forgot to change decks at one point, which resulted in a lot of looking out the window, and not so much shield charging. We kept the screensaver off though! :toot:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Given a number of things with pre-painted minis are starting to bubble onto the sceen (Xia: Legends of a Drift System, Mechs vs Minions) and the general popularity of miniatures games fullstop, does anyone think it's likely that we'll see more prepainted mini games coming though?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
Wow no love for Tom Jolly (Wizwar), Peter Olotak (Dune/Cosmic Encounter), Charles Roberts (Tactics/Gettysburg), Richard Borg (Command and Colors, Craig Van Ness (Heroscape), or even Klaus Teuber (Catan/Barbossa)?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Do not speak those names outside the inner circle! Are you mad?!?!?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I was gonna say klaus teuber but I was worried that would mark me as scrub league

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
I evened him out with Charles Roberts - the god of wargaming. Though one could easily say HG Welles is the true god since he wrote the first book on it...

So how about Chuck Kennedy's masterwork being back in print soon?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

fastbilly1 posted:

Peter Olotak (Dune/Cosmic Encounter),

I liked Dune a lot. Why did you betray me with CE, Peter? Why? :argh:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

To be honest, Dune has large, obvious issues, so it's not exactly hard to reconcile him creating Dune and CE.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Argent: Tried it at GenCon. It seemed ok. Heavier and less anime than expected. What is gooncensus, since I'm on the fence about backing a Kickstarter that won't deliver for 9 months?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also if we are going to go down the wargaming route, Mark Herman, Dean Essig, Mark Simonitch and Chad Jensen deserve a mention.

EDIT: Also Volko Ruhnke

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain to me the "ticketed" events things from stuff like gencon? I'm still relatively new to the board game scene and PAX Unplugged is my first dedicated BG con; I've heard some complaints over not having ticketed events for PAX. Is it like if you want to play a game you buy an event ticket for it kind of thing?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I'll show my Rüdiger Dorn (Goa, Istanbul) fan club card here if you don't mind.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Tekopo posted:

Also if we are going to go down the wargaming route, Mark Herman, Dean Essig, Mark Simonitch and Chad Jensen deserve a mention.

EDIT: Also Volko Ruhnke
Honestly never heard of Volko Ruhnke. Any specific titles of his you suggest starting out with?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kashuno posted:

Can someone explain to me the "ticketed" events things from stuff like gencon? I'm still relatively new to the board game scene and PAX Unplugged is my first dedicated BG con; I've heard some complaints over not having ticketed events for PAX. Is it like if you want to play a game you buy an event ticket for it kind of thing?

Events at GenCon are pre-sold and capped on attendees. There are also generic tickets available for drop-in events, assuming they do not sell out in pre-sale.

This has the practical effect of both allowing you to craft your schedule in advance and know whether you'll be able to attend an event, but also it eliminates virtually all lines because there's no point in lining up for something you have a guaranteed ticket for.

By not ticketing, PaxU has guaranteed that hundreds or thousands of people will show up and stand in line for hours for events only to be turned away at the door.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
gently caress y'all, Martin Wallace.

One day, he'll rediscover the reason to design for one last job.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fastbilly1 posted:

Honestly never heard of Volko Ruhnke. Any specific titles of his you suggest starting out with?

He did the COIN games. Cuba Libre, Fire in the Lake, etc.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Kashuno posted:

Pretty much. It makes sense, you have a game with a specific player count and a specific start time; you ticket it. Is Pax not doing any ticketing at all?

Toshimo posted:

By not ticketing, PaxU has guaranteed that hundreds or thousands of people will show up and stand in line for hours for events only to be turned away at the door.

Yeah, this exactly.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 21, 2017

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Is Le Havre: The Inland Port any good? I'm liking Caverna: Cave vs Cave and I know ACBAS is good, but I don't know if little Le Havre is on the same level.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Mac Gerdts, Master Of The Rondel.

Friedemann Friese, just for Power Grid. Everything else by him, not so much.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

He did the COIN games. Cuba Libre, Fire in the Lake, etc.
This, but give Labyrinth a miss.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Toshimo posted:

Argent: Tried it at GenCon. It seemed ok. Heavier and less anime than expected. What is gooncensus, since I'm on the fence about backing a Kickstarter that won't deliver for 9 months?

I don't know what the gooncensus is, but the only two flaws it has (as far as I'm concerned) is that the board is extremely busy and the patented Level99 Games need for a technical writer. Argent is quite good and Brad does listen to feedback, so the 2nd edition is likely to be actively superior to 1st edition. Then again, I am a Level99 Games fanboy, so take that as you will.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ima let u finish in me posted:

Mac Gerdts, Master Of The Rondel.

Friedemann Friese, just for Power Grid. Everything else by him, not so much.

Fabled Fruit is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Friday is also pretty good until you hit the win condition all the time.