Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Another question, why did Evil Coop only show up at the store now? He's been waiting to speak to Jeffries for a while, if he knew how to do so why did he wait? Is it as simple as he's just been busy until now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The dumbassassins are going around tying up all of Booper's loose ends as they become irrelevant. First the prison warden, now Duncan Todd, presumably next is Anthony Sinclair. He has all of the information Todd could have given him now, and so he's not necessary to whatever the gently caress Booper's plan is anymore.

idk
i dont think anthony was working for bad coop
he was the underling of an underling so he might be ok
i think its more likely they just go after dougie

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kaworu posted:

At the top of that, he opens a door that leads outside (and to what seems to be the paved ground floor of a seedy motel, which seems odd. I got the implication that this seedy motel was not accessible through any normal means, and the backwards-speaking person who unlocks the door to Room 8 would seem to confirm that this is a plane like where the Giant is, or where The Red Room. I think. It was notable that Jeffries spoke normally, and also sounded nothing like the person Bad Coop talked to in episode 2 who said "You're going back in tomorrow, and Bob will be with me." Still curious as to who that may have been.

I think it's the same motel that Leland went to meet Theresa Banks at, where he saw Laura and Ronette and ran away. I thought the woman was Ronette, but it's a different actor.

The Walrus posted:

Another question, why did Evil Coop only show up at the store now? He's been waiting to speak to Jeffries for a while, if he knew how to do so why did he wait? Is it as simple as he's just been busy until now?

I figured that Ray's coordinates took him there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

He didn't know where he was until Ray told him two episodes ago.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Walrus posted:

Oh yes, you're right. And that scene explicitly links the convenience store and the red room. so why is cooper willing to go to the convenience store when the lodge wants him back so bad? Maybe the red room really isn't the black lodge after all.

edit: but ofc as someone mentioned that scene is a dream so any half logic that may have applied doesn't necessarily need to. or maybe it does.

The red room has been pretty explicitly stated to not be a part of either lodge, described as a sort of purgatory-like 'waiting room' by the man from another place.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

BigFactory posted:

I think it's the same motel that Leland went to meet Theresa Banks at, where he saw Laura and Ronette and ran away. I thought the woman was Ronette, but it's a different actor.

Sort of.

https://twitter.com/ramontorrente/status/899571419306184704

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

The red room has been pretty explicitly stated to not be a part of either lodge, described as a sort of purgatory-like 'waiting room' by the man from another place.

At the end of season two both Earle and Cooper enter the black lodge, though, and it looks exactly like the waiting room, just with flickering lights. It's kind of unclear, really.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

He didn't know where he was until Ray told him two episodes ago.

oh right the dutchmans part, duh

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

And More posted:

At the end of season two both Earle and Cooper enter the black lodge, though, and it looks exactly like the waiting room, just with flickering lights. It's kind of unclear, really.
The original finale script actually had the lodge looking a lot more like the motel we saw last night (and some other corny stuff like a creepy old dentist office/chair). Lynch basically came into direct it and said "Nope, not doing that" and they didn't exactly have the time/budget to build a "real" Black Lodge set, so maybe they just did the flicking lights and such out of necessity. I wonder if we'll see the Black Lodge, and if it'll look like the finale, or something different.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 21, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The original script was like some dark version of the Great Northern, I think.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So is there now confirmation that the Cooper in the Jeffries FWWM scene was definitely the doppleganger? Bad Cooper was remembering the scene like he was there (as they cut to the shot of Cooper), and they made a point of pointing out the "who do you think that is, there?" line in the last ep.

I'm not sure how I feel about introducing time traveling Coopers. Should we assume every shot of Cooper in FWWM is a doppleganger?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

wa27 posted:

So is there now confirmation that the Cooper in the Jeffries FWWM scene was definitely the doppleganger? Bad Cooper was remembering the scene like he was there (as they cut to the shot of Cooper), and they made a point of pointing out the "who do you think that is, there?" line in the last ep.

I took it as Booper is in possession of all of Cooper's memories up until they "split off".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Jeffries just mistook him for the doppelgänger because he is unstuck in time. This episode stresses that that meeting happened in 89, and I definitely don't think Coop there is intended to be a time-travelling doppelgänger haha

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cromulent posted:

The original finale script actually had the lodge looking a lot more like the motel we saw last night (and some other corny stuff like a creepy old dentist office/chair). Lynch basically came into direct it and said "Nope, not doing that" and they didn't exactly have the time/budget to build a "real" Black Lodge set, so maybe they just did the flicking lights and such out of necessity. I wonder if we'll see the Black Lodge, and if it'll look like the finale, or something different.

Escobarbarian posted:

The original script was like some dark version of the Great Northern, I think.

I was curious so I just went and read this and yeah, it begins in a 'dark version of the great northern' and then moves through 'dark corridors' before ending in the 'throne room' which is described as a nondescript doctors office with the dentist chair and a raised center. Interesting. Of note is the fact the floor is described as a checkerboard pattern rather than zig-zag. But this could be just an ambiguous description I guess.

Regardless of what was originally intended, from the first episodes of this season it does appear that they are sticking with the red room plus strobes = black lodge motif.

Are all the scripts as different from the shot episodes as this? The end scene is nearly totally different. Can't imagine why they got rid of this part :)

quote:

35. INT. RED ROOM

Cooper comes to, lying on the floor of the red room. He rouses himself, looks around.
Hearing someone humming.

COOPER
Where am I?

A crude, hand-painted sign falls into view. It reads: PITTSBURGH, STUPID. The sign flies
up out of sight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah the finale being changed is Lynch coming back and being like "the gently caress is this poo poo"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Walrus posted:

35. INT. RED ROOM

Cooper comes to, lying on the floor of the red room. He rouses himself, looks around.
Hearing someone humming.

COOPER
Where am I?

A crude, hand-painted sign falls into view. It reads: PITTSBURGH, STUPID. The sign flies
up out of sight.

:hmbol: god I wish they'd kept this

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
Somebody posted their transcript of the Steven-Gersten conversation subtitles on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6uzlqs/s3e15_postepisode_discussion_part_15/dlwpmre/

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013
Can't remember if this has been mentioned but the sound effects for one punch man were hilarious and now I'm convinced Frost/Lynch are taking the piss out of superhero shows like Iron Fist.

And yeah Lynch hated what they did with the supernatural elements in the finale so scrapped almost all of it. I actually don't think the script is as bad as many Peaks fans do and thought it had some inventive ideas, but Earle's dialogue is awful, and Bob in a dentist suit may have been a final jump the shark moment for me.

Overall though, I think it just plays worse compared to the amazing finale we got. Imagine a finale without the little man, the giant, the waiter, Maddie, Leland, Sarah, etc. Etc. Jeez.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I think Jeffries just mistook him for the doppelgänger because he is unstuck in time. This episode stresses that that meeting happened in 89, and I definitely don't think Coop there is intended to be a time-travelling doppelgänger haha

That's what I assumed after last episode, but the flashback in this one confused me. As it was happening I was thinking "this is a pretty big reveal!", but then nobody was talking about it. Keeping Cooper's memories would explain it, though.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

Is it just me, or is the guy who lifts the girl up at the roadhouse the same guy from the pink room sequence in FWWM?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The Sunset Blvd scene last night was amazing, such great acting from MacLachlan.

It did remind me of one interesting bit of recursive Sunset Blvd references in Lynch's work.

This scene in Sunset Blvd, where Norma is watching one of her old films, features an excerpt from one of Gloria Swanson's silent era films, Queen Kelly, which was unreleased at the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADl0wC_cAbk&t=60s

In Inland Empire, Lynch shows a brief section of the unfinished Polish film 47:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
the amount of acting Kyle MacLachlan has done with his eyes alone this season is astounding

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Please please no more Audrey scenes mr lynch

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tolkien minority posted:

Well, I was just hoping that this episode would be the reveal, like she opens the door and almost trips out into an endless black void.
Then the scene cuts to her hospital room and shows her comatose.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the 'Gordon Cole' moment was electrifying.
pun slightly intended

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tolkien minority posted:

you didn't like when the sleepy man took his coat off? biggest laugh of the season imo.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The Walrus posted:

you didn't like when the sleepy man took his coat off? biggest laugh of the season imo.

I cant tell if this is sarcasm or not

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Audrey scenes are not funny to me at all

I'm not saying that because they're creepy or anything. They're just not funny

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't care for the scenes much, but I really want to know what is going on with Audrey. I assume they're dragging this one scene out over five episodes to lead up to some reveal. Hopefully not the coma theory that people have had since the second scene.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

The Audrey scenes are not funny to me at all

I'm not saying that because they're creepy or anything. They're just not funny

How do you not find sleepy man funny?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'm trying to reserve my judgment about the Audrey scenes until everything is over, but as it stands they really tend to put the brakes on the episodes when they come so late. Especially when followed by characters we don't know in the Roadhouse.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Escobarbarian posted:

So I guess we should call the place above the convenience store "The Dutchman's"? That's what Ray called it previously.

Also, does anyone think there's anything at all to my "Steven is freaking out because he killed Becky" theory, or am I just talking poo poo?

STEVEN: (inhales sharply)
GRETCHEN: Why?
STEVEN: There is no why. I did do it.
GRETCHEN: No. No, she did it. She did it.
STEVEN: I can't. No. I did it. (breathing heavily)
GRETCHEN: No. No, Steven. Steven, stop it. You didn't do anything, OK? You were loving stoned. What the gently caress did she give you? Give me the gun.
STEVEN: Mm-mm. Are you going to come up with me?
GRETCHEN: No, no. And you're not going either.
STEVEN: Look at me. I'm a high school graduate. I'm a high school graduate.
GRETCHEN: Oh, gently caress...
STEVEN: You see this, yeah?
GRETCHEN: No. No. Stop it, don't do that.
STEVEN: I'm gonna get this thing in.
GRETCHEN: What? No -- don't, no.
STEVEN: I'm gonna put this thing here.
GRETCHEN: No, no.
STEVEN: Right through here.
GRETCHEN: No. No, Steven. No.
STEVEN: It's -- It's gonna end it.
GRETCHEN: No.
STEVEN: And when I -- when I see you come up... But... But... I may not even see you there. I mean... I mean... (swallows) I mean gone. Where will I be? Will I be with the rhinoceros? The lightning in the bottle, hm? Please.
GRETCHEN: It's OK. It's OK, OK.
STEVEN: Or will I be completely up like -- like -- turquoise? Hm? Hm? I feel something. Or -- gently caress. This is the end. I got a duty to do. Do whateve -- whatever you want. I liked loving you. Did I tell you? I liked it a lot. I liked to get down and fight with you and gently caress. Just so you know... That I like your oval office. Like, sometimes, it's so amazing. You're making me cry. Stop it, oval office.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

GeneralZod posted:

Somebody posted their transcript of the Steven-Gersten conversation subtitles on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6uzlqs/s3e15_postepisode_discussion_part_15/dlwpmre/

dammit lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tolkien minority posted:

I cant tell if this is sarcasm or not

It's not. I died laughing when he announced he was taking off his coat. Something about the inevitability of it combined with the way he made it seem like it was Audrey's fault. hilarious.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also its 'gersten' not 'gretchen' :confused:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
What's the deal with Charlie's proportions? He looked like a little person in his first two scenes, but when he was standing next to Audrey they were the same height. I think it's the arms.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Cromulent posted:

I'm trying to reserve my judgment about the Audrey scenes until everything is over, but as it stands they really tend to put the brakes on the episodes when they come so late. Especially when followed by characters we don't know in the Roadhouse.

yeah i think they would work a lot better if they came earlier in the episodes. i'm intrigued by what's going on with audrey but having that scene come after the excellent log lady scenes kind of killed the mood a bit

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spermando posted:

What's the deal with Charlie's proportions? He looked like a little person in his first two scenes, but when he was standing next to Audrey they were the same height. I think it's the arms.

It's just the actor's proportions, he's got rheumatoid arthritis.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'm looking forward to twin peaks season 7 in which all the original actors have died or moved on and it's just a room full of Lynch's weird sculptures having cryptic conversations with each other for 18 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm looking forward to twin peaks season 7 in which all the original actors have died or moved on and it's just a room full of Lynch's weird sculptures having cryptic conversations with each other for 18 hours.

I'd watch that.