Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That is, in fact, two separate machines stapled together.

The 0 Raiser disassembles upon docking with the 00, but the XN Raiser doesn't because

um

They wanted to let you make the 00 look really silly?

But the real reason to buy the MG XN Raiser is to make the much nicer looking XN 00.

EDIT:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

PMush Perfect posted:

I've never been a huge fan of the packs that're large enough to be their own mecha. Always remind me of poorly-designed Transformers.

Well i mean, thats the 00 Raiser so it is its own fighter jet thingy.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Don't get me wrong, I love overly complex designs with everything and a couple of extra kitchen sinks bolted on.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Spiky Dendrobium is a pretty amusing and rather Build Fighters idea, though.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Y'know, when I got this, I was expecting to take my time with it, but I wasn't expecting it to be THIS much stuff. The box is gigantic and the part sheets go all the way to the letter O. It's literally filled to the brim, so much so if you don't put the sheets back in the right, the box lid can't go all the way back down.
Atleast what little I've had to work with on it hasn't been loose. if anything, the parts are sometimes too tight a fit. thankfully I'm very used to gluing poo poo together when needed thanks to those fidgety loving Frame Arms kits.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 18, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm guessing it's your first Master Grade then?

Because if so you should get yourself an FAUC or larger late-mid UC suit like an Ex-S.

Or a 1/100 Xi/Penelope :kheldragar:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
only one of those is not ugly as sin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Odysseus looks good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Diabetes Forecast posted:

only one of those is not ugly as sin.

:mad:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BlitzBlast posted:

I LOVE YOU BUILD FIGHTERS

Gundam X Serif

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
What is the comic sans of gundam?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ignimbrite posted:

What is the comic sans of gundam?

Crossbone, duh.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i take it i should do all waterslides before panel lining to avoid washing out the line work?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I usually do panel lining first so I don't accidentally draw on the waterslides. That's harder to fix than re-lining.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I just found out I'm going back to Tokyo in October/Nov!

Super pumped about it.

New Gundam Base mega store just opened, I'm taking a second suitcase.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kuvo posted:

i take it i should do all waterslides before panel lining to avoid washing out the line work?

Depends on the type of liner used. Enamel liner wont be harmed by some decal set, nor should acetone-based markers. Acrylic washes should be left to fully dry first then should be fine. Gundam pens and similar might, but you probably wont use -that- much set unless the waterslide is gigantic.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Man I love the GM Custom, it's such a slick grunt design. I think I will add some decals to this guy before I topcoat.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sometimes you gotta tough it out even if you know you don't have a leg to stand on.
(anyone got a Zaku II or Gelgoog 2.0 they can part out? I need part H13...)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
new RG gets announced next week. I know it's not gonna be the Ground Type but I hope it's at least more interesting than the Banshee

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

new RG gets announced next week. I know it's not gonna be the Ground Type but I hope it's at least more interesting than the Banshee

Has anyone figured out the satanic ritual that was performed to make the RG Unicorn good? Because we're still waiting on the other Endless Wing METEOR Gundams :pray:.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Come on RG Jesta/Nu/Sazabi/Gouf Custom

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Maybe I'll try a Real Grade if they do a Dom. Who are we kidding though, it's totally the Banshee.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Has anyone figured out the satanic ritual that was performed to make the RG Unicorn good? Because we're still waiting on the other Endless Wing METEOR Gundams :pray:.
Ex-S gundam. :getin:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll laugh if your not-ground type prediction comes true only for the ez-8 to be announced instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Booyah- posted:

Man I love the GM Custom, it's such a slick grunt design. I think I will add some decals to this guy before I topcoat.

That is a sexy-rear end robot.

Edit Looks like it'd be a spectacular base for a custom build, too. Fitting name, then! :j:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
https://twitter.com/bustrider/status/899440230087876608

A friend referred me to a shop a ways out I was unfamiliar with. Not amazing, but when have I ever let bad selection hamper my spending?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Beargguys are never bad spending :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wonder which Banshee it'll be? I hope it's the standard type - the Norn was basically the Banshee but uglier and more boring.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Neurolimal posted:

Beargguys are never bad spending :colbert:

Quote this forever. I am 2 Pettit'gguys away from a complete publicly released collection. I've even bought most of them in person. Still need more Bearguys tho.

Now I just need to get back to building them, instead of stacking the boxes higher....

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any good beginner Gunpla tutorials for people who don't have an airbrush?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are there any good beginner Gunpla tutorials for people who don't have an airbrush?

What are you looking for, specifically? Gunpla101 has a bunch of non-paint ones: https://www.gunpla101.com/category/tutorials/

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
C-SPAM is gonna do a Gunpla building thing, so a basic "here's how how to build a gunpla" and "here's how to paint a Gunpa"

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/wiki/index has a bunch of good resources.

http://goodguydangunpla.blogspot.com/2013/08/building-for-beginners-tips-and-tricks.html is a fairly decent single page with a lot of images. Doesn't touch painting.

http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-zero-paint-construction-guide has a lot of good pieces including painting - http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-hand-painting-tutorial is hand painting specifically

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish there was like a one page infographic or something that just explained to cut out the pieces and cut off the nubs and then tada you have a Gundam. Like the lesson Reiji and Aida got in Build Fighters. Those links are certainly informative, but big treatises that include the basic information along with descriptions of every grade of Gunpla and how to prepare third-party after maker add-on resin kits make the whole thing look more complicated than it is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You mean like the guides at the front of modern HG manuals?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

You mean like the guides at the front of modern HG manuals?
That would kind of require buying a Gunpla to know about, wouldn't it?

TL;DR Guide:
Preparation
1. Buy an HG, that's High-Grade, it's the one a beginner wants to build. The HG Hi-Mock is a oft-recommended first kit and here's another one you might recognize, but any High-Grade you want to build will do. Just be aware that some of the older ones may not be in production any more, so could be more expensive.
2. Buy some nippers, an x-acto knife, and some sandpaper, some rough, some fine.
2b. Theoretically, you could get by with just using a pair of nail clippers and the little metal nail file on them, but it's probably gonna show. Bad clippers, in particular, are the #1 cause of stress marks, and can even result in breaking a piece off.
3. Buy a Gundam Marker, it's used for 'panel lining'. You don't really need to paint any these days unless you want to, but panel lining can make a world of difference.

Assembly
4. Try to only clip pieces as you need them, it's much easier than accidentally losing something because you cut it earlier. Make sure you're not cutting off some of the part itself. That can suck, and even ruin a kit if you gently caress up some really major pieces.
5. Clip a bit away from the part. Too close, and it's stress mark time. Then, cutting parallel to the plastic, shave the nub off with the x-acto knife, and sandpaper it with fine sandpaper until it's smooth. (Rough sandpaper is for when you're either not brave enough or it's too difficult to shave off the entire thing.
6. The instructions are usually pretty good, just follow them closely and make sure you don't mix up parts that are similar or mirrored.
7. Once you're finished, use your Gundam Marker to go through some of the recessed white plastic bits that would be metal panels on a 'real' Gundam. Take it slow, don't push too hard. Some people fill it out in every possible edge, give their gunpla a very hard-edge, well-defined look. Others go for only the more important parts, giving theirs a softer, slightly cartoonier look. Which you do is up to you.
7b. If you have colored Gundam markers, you can use them to cover up stress marks. Nice little trick for making your kits look a bit better.

Finished! Congratulations, you've made your first Gunpla and now have all the tools the next time you wanna drop $20 to kill a few hours.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 21, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

C-SPAM is gonna do a Gunpla building thing, so a basic "here's how how to build a gunpla" and "here's how to paint a Gunpa"

Oh poo poo, I need to get on this when I get home.

http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

This is an old but still really good blog for learning a bunch of gunpla tricks.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 21, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PMush Perfect posted:

That would kind of require buying a Gunpla to know about, wouldn't it?

TL;DR Guide:
Preparation
1. Buy an HG, that's High-Grade, it's the one a beginner wants to build. Here's a classic, but any High-Grade you want to build will do. Just be aware that some of the older ones may not be in production any more, so could be more expensive.
2. Buy some nippers, an x-acto knife, and some sandpaper, some rough, some fine.
2b. Theoretically, you could get by with just using a pair of nail clippers and the little metal nail file on them, but it's probably gonna show. Bad clippers, in particular, are the #1 cause of stress marks, and can even result in breaking a piece off.
3. Buy a Gundam Marker, it's used for 'panel lining'. You don't really need to paint any these days unless you want to, but panel lining can make a world of difference.

Assembly
4. Try to only clip pieces as you need them, it's much easier than accidentally losing something because you cut it earlier.
Make sure you're not cutting off some of the part itself. That can suck, and even ruin a kit if you gently caress up some really major pieces.
5. Clip a bit away from the part. Too close, and it's stress mark time. Then, cutting parallel to the plastic, shave the nub off with the x-acto knife, and sandpaper it with fine sandpaper until it's smooth. (Rough sandpaper is for when you're either not brave enough or it's too difficult to shave off the entire thing.
6. The instructions are usually pretty good, just follow them closely and make sure you don't mix up parts that are similar or mirrored.
7. Once you're finished, go through some of the recessed white plastic bits that would be metal panels on a 'real' Gundam. Take it slow, don't push too hard. Some people fill it out in every possible edge, give their gunpla a very hard-edge, well-defined look. Others go for only the more important parts, giving theirs a softer, slightly cartoonier look. Which you do is up to you.

Finished! Congratulations, you've made your first Gunpla and now have all the tools the next time you wanna drop $20 to kill a few hours.

While those instructions are great (and maybe something that should be in the OP for newbies), I'd recommend the HG Hi-Mock as a better entry-level kit for beginners. It's all big simple parts, it's stuffed with polycaps, and it's designed to play well with every single kibble and weapon pack in the accessory lines for HG-scale Gunpla. Hell, it'll even hold 1/100-scale weapons with its alternate hands.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
we're doing Hi-mocks in C-SPAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yay, I did good! :sun:

Edit Added the Hi-Mock recommendation and messed with some of the formatting a bit. Should be OP-ready now.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 21, 2017