Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Landlord posted:

The music is tied with the loading screen art for best part of the game.

This is true. It's full-on 80s space opera, and it's gorgeous. Whoever at Paradox is painting these things should be pushing for commission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
it really is a shame the actual gameplay fails to live up to the standards set by the music and art. :sigh:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've been modding my game further into the opposite direction of what aesthetic the devs are going for.

It's fun to approach the game as "Victoria, but in space". Helps me really get into the spirit of sneering imperialism.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Thefluffy posted:

it really is a shame the actual gameplay fails to live up to the standards set by the music and art. :sigh:

Counterpoint: It totally does

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

This is extremely my poo poo right here gat dang :awesomelon:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/642750/Stellaris_Synthetic_Dawn/

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Thefluffy posted:

Psycho Landlord posted:

Counterpoint: It totally does

Both are true.. The feeling lasts and lasts. But familiarity makes you wish for more. I can wish for more even as I play and play. But I also managed to log almost 600 hours, so they clearly did something right, even if I've never seen a crisis or managed to build a Megastructure. It's odd. I know the autosaves are there, but I've never used one. Even though I keep doing the same or similar things. Over and over. Mods don't help with this, of course.

Anyway, music and art are real important to how a game makes you feel. Even if you know what you're doing and the mystery isn't quite there anymore, it helps keep you believing. It's used to be bleeps and bloops, then a proper sound card changed things, then CD audio, now orchestras for video games....we've come a long way. Consoles also were coming up in quality.

We've come a long way. I used to be so happy with my mere Atari ST.

...Look at me rambling on. Sorry.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I don't think Stellaris could be changed like this but I wonder if for Stellaris 2 it could be possible to assign fleets to fronts, like with armies in HOI4?

Federation X has 3 fronts and 2 menaces within its borders. When you assign a fleet to a front (or to contain a menace), you get a rough estimate of its strength versus the opposing fleet on that front. Maybe you also get a bonus from having a stronger fleet to incentivize arms races.

So you would always know, say, you'd wipe the floor with the peaceful Zargon republic with only three rusty old gunships, but you need to keep throwing more and more resources at your fleet to keep parity with the Blorg-Murderbot Axis.

A radical version would be to have no fleets that are just chilling in space: you would have only ships deployed to fronts, and reserves (and maybe some assigned to commerce protection).

Battles could be handled like ship battles in HOI4 (which I have come to really enjoy now I understand them better) but with more graphical flair / impact of individual weapons etc. So each tick, there is a chance that the fleets meet in battle and that individual ships get there in time to have an effect. Win enough battles and you can do things like bombard or invade planets.

In the early game you could assign a group of stars as a front. Maybe you could also abstract away babysitting individual exploration ships and have events just crop up periodically as that front is explored.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That's a pretty major overhaul that might be outside the scope of updates to Stellaris 1, agreed, but it's a really good idea. I'm just kinda burnt out on having to micro fleets around in my sci-fi games, moving to a system more like how HoI4 does it with just setting missions on huge swathes of ocean and letting the ships do their thing would be a refreshing change.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That sounds like a great idea for this sort of game. I guess previous ones have tried to approximate it with starlanes, but the concept doesn't work so well with the alternative warp methods.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Summary of this thread's improvements for Stellaris.

- Combat like in HoI, but in space and possibly include tentacles
- International Intergalactic diplomacy like in EU4, but in space and possibly include tentacles
- Internal political management and leaders handled like in CK2, but in space and possibly include tentacles

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Sounds pretty much like my awsome INVADE button in diplomacy screen. Cant come soon enough

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Weavered posted:

- International Intergalactic diplomacy like in EU4, but in space and possibly include tentacles
- Internal political management and leaders handled like in CK2, but in space and possibly include tentacles

Only from people who haven't seen Wiz post here like 3/4 times that they won't be copying mechanics from others games because that's boring, lazy, and means they don't quite fit.

The only thing I'd "take" from HoI 4 which isn't really unique to HoI 4 in any way is change how territory in war works.

Right now it works in a CKII/EUIV type way that you declare war and occupy things (in this case planets) but until the peace treaty is signed it's still the enemy's and you get no economic benefit from it.

In Civ and other 4 X games when you take a thing (city/planet/whatever) it's yours and part of your empire immediately, the peace treaty simply ends the state of war.

I'd much prefer to see a system where you take a planet and that planet is occupied, and the territory becomes disputed (visually it would look and act like when you have two planets from two different empires in the same system). You can then develop this further by having an occupation policy (+/- happiness of occupied pops in exchange for -/+ resources), bonuses to occupying, and it means that you can do some stuff to simulate the fact the planet will likely want to fight for it's freedom with revolt. I think this would help with the fact wars are so long too, if you get to like 40% warscore and the war grinds to a halt for whatever reason, you can just sit back and enjoy the fact you have more planets and a better economy than if you didn't start the war at all. It also means whoever is winning can rebuild their fleets faster, so a smaller empire can take some early wins and maybe leverage those into a favourable peace deal.

Things like "just port EU IV diplomacy" are fairly bad suggestions imo. Paradox has full creative licence to do whatever it wants with Stellaris, they don't feel constrained by any of the historical limitations of the other games, why just use the same game mechanics instead of developing interesting things beyond "Hey look, i can click royal marriage because I';m a monarchy, awesome a +25 boost to opinion and I can inherit their space empire"

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
If I create two empires, then give them species with the exact same name, appearance, and traits, will the game treat them as the same species if both empires appear in the same game?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Weavered posted:

Yeah, that's all silly overreaching.

My only wish is for pops and the economy to have some more depth complexity... like Victoria 2.

Or actually, forget Stellaris, my only wish is for Victoria 3.

On an unrelated subject:

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been modding my game further into the opposite direction of what aesthetic the devs are going for.

It's fun to approach the game as "Victoria, but in space". Helps me really get into the spirit of sneering imperialism.
Holy poo poo these are the best. I loved using your clothes, but these city backgrounds are beautiful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

If I create two empires, then give them species with the exact same name, appearance, and traits, will the game treat them as the same species if both empires appear in the same game?

Yes, as far as I know. You can play as one human faction and run into the other human faction and you are still the same species for xenophobe/phile purposes.

I think it actually works off appearance and name, not traits.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, as far as I know. You can play as one human faction and run into the other human faction and you are still the same species for xenophobe/phile purposes.

I think it actually works off appearance and name, not traits.

It's a bit up in the air, sometimes it requires traits. Like if humans emigrate to you and you change what traits they have they're not the same species as when new humans turn up in your empire later on.
The new changes will codify it properly though.

Also, I demand a button to mark a system as "NEVER GO HERE JESUS CHRIST" to stop my ships pathing through the Ether Drake or whatever. I know you can put them on Evasive but then they avoid enemy systems when it's a war and you're trying to rally. It's an arse.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm a little past 100 years in my Stellaris game with a federation that comprises 6 out of 9 starting empires and that has won three separate wars against the remaining empires, whittling away at their power base every time. There's no real threat that can be posed to the federation anymore - impossible that anyone can match us militarily, next to impossible that we'll break apart. The problem is, though, that my navy is the most powerful in the galaxy by a significant margin, and it's only at 26K or so. Accordingly, the next decades are going to be spent orchestrating a massive military buildup in order to prepare for the endgame crisis, and that just feels so weird to do in a galaxy that's otherwise mostly united in the spirit of democracy and equality

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

So I'm a little past 100 years in my Stellaris game with a federation that comprises 6 out of 9 starting empires and that has won three separate wars against the remaining empires, whittling away at their power base every time. There's no real threat that can be posed to the federation anymore - impossible that anyone can match us militarily, next to impossible that we'll break apart. The problem is, though, that my navy is the most powerful in the galaxy by a significant margin, and it's only at 26K or so. Accordingly, the next decades are going to be spent orchestrating a massive military buildup in order to prepare for the endgame crisis, and that just feels so weird to do in a galaxy that's otherwise mostly united in the spirit of democracy and equality

Why don't you just "peacefully" expand your economy by colonizing what is left to colonize, developing colonies, building habitats, shipyards and stations? This way, when the endgame crisis "surprises" you, can build up a fleet in almost zero time, and perfectly geared to counter whatever showed up!

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Jenny Angel posted:

Another thought is to RP that a shadow council has taken over reigns in your empire behind the scenes and is preparing to assert your dominance over the entire galaxy. Start sabotaging the relationships between the different races in your federation (oh we cannot do that, just ignore this point) and build up the fleet for the inevitable confrontation that is sure to come at some point down the line when the federation splinters and everyone is fighting everyone (or more likely, due to point 1, just you against everyone else).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I am looking forward to this update and will spend money on it. I am tentatively excited about drillbots

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I am looking forward to this update and will spend money on it. I am tentatively excited about drillbots

Of course you are.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'm about pages 100 behind on this thread, we did we ever get that fleet planer?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Back Hack posted:

I'm about pages 100 behind on this thread, we did we ever get that fleet planer?

Nope! I don't think any significant military changes have been released or even announced yet, aside from some weapon stat rebalancing, improvements to the way missiles work, and removing weapons from civilian stations.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Fleet designer is somewhere on the "one of the first things we want to do next" table if I remember correctly.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

Nope! I don't think any significant military changes have been released or even announced yet, aside from some weapon stat rebalancing, improvements to the way missiles work, and removing weapons from civilian stations.

don't forget reworking higher tier tech weapon costs so that upgrades and not building fleets of empty corvettes actually make good sense

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I have a Gaia world that had pre-sentients on it I uplifted. They've got the Gaian world preference, which means they can't go anywhere else?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Relevant Tangent posted:

I have a Gaia world that had pre-sentients on it I uplifted. They've got the Gaian world preference, which means they can't go anywhere else?
Well everywhere else just looks lovely. Genetically engineer them to forget the perfection of Eden.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Purge them.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Nickiepoo posted:

Purge them.

eat them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gaian natives have to taste delicious.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Still not really sure what a Gaia world is supposed to be. It's as livable to races of arctic dwelling dog people, sea dwelling shrimp people, and desert dwelling scorpion people as anybody else, so there either have to be alot of different biomes with lots more space than a typical planet...

...or the planet reconfigures itself tile by tile based on who's living there :aaa:

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Since Stellaris is set in a strange galaxy where most of the planets are one biome(and mostly the same gravity?), maybe terraformed that way by the precursors. So Gaia worlds would be real, virgin earth-like planets.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
My assumption has been that they have a perfectly balanced distribution of many micro biomes, so there's enough space of any particular biome type for everyone.

In that case, though, you'd think Gaia-habitat preference would make a species that can live anywhere.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Well if your race evolved in biomes that were literally perfect for them, they'd likely have less adaptability to imperfect or harsh conditions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jigoku San posted:

Since Stellaris is set in a strange galaxy where most of the planets are one biome(and mostly the same gravity?), maybe terraformed that way by the precursors. So Gaia worlds would be real, virgin earth-like planets.

I know reading descriptions is boring, but how can someone Take clearly communicated information and end up interpreting it 100% wrong like this?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jigoku San posted:

Well if your race evolved in biomes that were literally perfect for them, they'd likely have less adaptability to imperfect or harsh conditions.

All species evolve for biomes that are perfect for them, that's what evolution does.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

wiegieman posted:

All species evolve for biomes that are perfect for them, that's what evolution does.
This is very not true.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jigoku San posted:

Bizzarely in the flavour text for planets, they explicitly aren't single biome, it says they have varying biomes based on equatorial distance and hydration. It's just that the game doesn't model it. I suppose with the changes to habitability it will make more sense perhaps.

Really speaking for it to make the most sense planets would have to have biomes of varying types and differently acclimated species would live on different parts of it, so habitability would represent how many tiles the planet has available to your species. But that'd probably be really fiddly to work with so it probably shouldn't work like that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Splicer posted:

This is very not true.

• Locked thread