Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Here is a novel idea for season 8: They should kill off all the bad actors and keep the good actors. Davos becomes king, Jorah hand, Tormund King in the North and Brienne his new Lady of Winterfell. Tyrion, Jaime, Yara, Euron become pirate lords in Braavos. Cersei becomes the new Night Queen, Qyburn the new Raven. Bronn gets his castle, the Hound gets his revenge.

Blitz7x posted:

Psst it was all for show

Haha, no. Haven't you learned by now there is no depth in this show. It's meant to be read straight, only that Sansa and Arya forgive one another after they uncover LF's little game thanks to Magic Bran and execute him. But all the poo poo of the last two episodes? No hidden layer.

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PupsOfWar posted:

the thing that would have made the most sense is if yohn royce had murdered Littlefinger immediately upon entering the North

i forget, did the show spare a scene to show that the minor lords of the vale made the insanely baby-easy observation that the schemer man who is quickly and conveniently widowed to make him de facto lord of the vale might be doing scheme and that there's at least a tiny bit of friction there?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
the arya-sansa conflict is Also Good

sorry abour ur bad opinions, badthread

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

i forget, did the show spare a scene to show that the minor lords of the vale made the insanely baby-easy observation that the schemer man who is quickly and conveniently widowed to make him de facto lord of the vale might be doing scheme and that there's at least a tiny bit of friction there?

They did have that scene, but the tension was diffused when Sansa revealed her identity.

Littlefinger then restarted the tension when he mind-controlled sweetrobin into making death threats against Royce

So the idea is that Vale lords know that Littlefinger is a bad dude who is manipulating their liege, but couldn't act while in the Vale because said liege would prevent it.
A complication which does not exist in The North
Littlefinger should have been decapped in the bogs north of Moat Cailin, his death blamed on Wildlings or the Boltons

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
lmao those season 8 spoilers are awesome if true, just run everything into the ground. Emelia Clarke's corpse getting poo poo flung at it, Bran as the next Night King, Drogon loving everything up for the good guys, sure gently caress it why not.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

crazy cloud posted:

the arya-sansa conflict is Also Good

sorry abour ur bad opinions, badthread

I don't know if that's a bad opinion but the conflict makes sense because Arya's sole mission in life is to hold everyone who hosed up her family accountable for what they did and Sansa was a patsy.

The reason I don't believe the spoilers is because they're too ridiculously and insidiously evil toward fans and this show is all about being ASOIAF fan fic at this point. If GRRM was involved, I'd half believe it but I don't think D&D would come up with half that poo poo.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 21, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm sure the spoilers are real, and they're really dumb.

edit: I'm happy Bronn gets his castle though

edit 2: I know subverting tropes and all but Tormund gets roasted by friendly fire legit has me mad

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 21, 2017

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

He's kissed by fire you know. It's like poetry.....

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guys the second to last track on the Season 8 soundtrack is "Drogon's Noble End" so at least that is plausible.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Drogon did 9/11

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Guys the second to last track on the Season 8 soundtrack is "Drogon's Noble End" so at least that is plausible.

jesus this is a deep cut, but I get it and was actually stupid enough to be angry about the spoiler way back then

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I've always thought the dragons would die by the end of the show. They can't really have any resolution with them hanging around.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

tadashi posted:

I've always thought the dragons would die by the end of the show. They can't really have any resolution with them hanging around.

Conveniently, according to the purported leaks, the unsullied and dothraki also get annihilated.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yudo posted:

Conveniently, according to the purported leaks, the unsullied and dothraki also get annihilated.

lol i was thinking it might be an interesting coda where they have to integrate and (at least the dothraki who aren't doomed to die out this generation) meld with westerosi culture.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yudo posted:

In spite of the thread title, I was trying to avoid reading the leaks because I just find the whole thing annoying. This makes sense, though. This is like reading that Jon is all-but-confirmed to be Rhaegar's kid. If Dany doesn't die, she would have to rule Westeros as a Westerosi for it to work. The continent is too big and too divided politically.

Like Pac-Manioc mentioned, I can also buy the idea that one of the invading forces stays and integrates culturally, just like the First Men and the Andals did. I guess the Unsullied can't leave much of a genetic legacy but their style of fighting could affect things.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 21, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I've been in the, "Attacking King's Landing will blow it up," camp for ages so BELIEVE.

It's stupid Jaimie never had the wildfire dealt with, though. What a lazy poo poo.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Why was the bear all alone? Did they zombify him only to say "you're free little buddy go run along" and not enlist him into the army.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Also, I'm very worried about what these leaks mean for Bronn.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

drunken officeparty posted:

Why was the bear all alone? Did they zombify him only to say "you're free little buddy go run along" and not enlist him into the army.

Yet more proof that the Walkers are the good guys. I mean have you seen how terribly the Starks treat their direwolves?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The influence of the Dothraki (mongol/moorish hybrids being a merit based soldier archetype rather than the nobility being born into the officer class) as well as a black plague level of depopulation should bring end to feudalism. It would be a perfect bookend to "breaking the wheel" and most of the themes GRRM has been banging on about.

Having them die out completely and nothing changing would be....stupid. :ohdear:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The weirdest thing for me with the season 8 outlines that makes me doubt their authenticity is the arrival of howland reed and meera given that the episode 7/4 outline which was authentic states flatly that "Meera walks out of the room, out of winterfell and out of our story".

I mean, they could change their mind but... I don't know.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blitz7x posted:

No that's stupid a main character wouldn't die like that

-a TVIV poster on the final season of a show based off books that were made famous because they killed off main characters

The thing is, GRRM killed main characters as a consequence for their actions or character flaws.

- Ned was "PRIIIIIIDEEEE" and gave Cersei a headstart on plotting, and refused to team up with useful allies because it wasn't the right thing to do
- Robb was "ALSO PRIIIIIIIDEEE" and shat upon his obligations because he took that poor girls virginity, and also lead a a war for revenge but didn't let any of his men get revenge if it got in the way of his revenge.
- Viserys was entitled and loud with people that didn't give two shits about anything else than who can sword harder
- Khal Drogo died by a either the Dothraki being too proud to get assistance from a slave (if MMD was actually trying to help) or Daenerys being too trustful (if MMD wasn't trying to help)
- Joffrey was a little poo poo towards everyone until people finally got fed up with him
- Oberyn was too obsessed with his revenge and overconfident
- Tywin was a lovely parent to Tyrion his whole life

Not one of those characters died in an instance of "and got caught up in a close explosion"

But it's ok. I wouldn't mind that. Good. It's unexpected, and Daenerys and Jon both have to die somehow because they both have a claim to the throne and fans wouldn't be happy if one or the other gives up his claim over the other cause love.

The final boss is neither the Ice Demon that has been hyped for since season 1, nor the crazy rear end bitch that has also been hyped for since season 1 (and 3rd in Most Episodes Appeared on), but the guy with less than 30 minutes of screentime, who is a lot of fun granted, but has no other character trait to it.

But fine. This is also fair. Shaggydog story, the house no one ever took seriously and was mocked for since the start of the series is the one to effectively take most of the others out by virtue of sitting on the sidelines while the rest of them fought.

The main problem however, is how undeserving the whole of this feels.

Jaime the character with a Heel Face Revolving Door arc dies as collateral in this explosion. Well...uuuh...guess him trying to stop the Mad King from blowing everything with wildfire was kinda building up to him dieing in a wildfire explosion I guess? And the Hound was afraid of fire...and half of the word wildfire has fire in it too so I guess that would also be an ironic death?

Tyrion is the main reason things escalate to that point. Had Daenerys not listened to him and went straight to burning the Red Keep this season, there would be no s8 backstabbing subplot. But hey! He gets to keep everything and even gets a hot new girlfriend with whom....held hands that one time in Mereen? Boy sure glad they build this up!

Meera, Brienne, Podrick, Tormund. Sure, they are far from being main characters and contributed very little to the overall story, but is having them exiting the stage left the only resolution D&D can find to their characters? Bittersweet Ending does not mean "and a lot of people died". Meera losing both her brother and father and failing to protect Bran is already enough bittersweet.

Not to mention the Golden Company participation, it has maybe been name dropped once or twice before, but suddenly the guy with no dragons, nor armies gets a huge rear end army to enter the stage and even the field, and easily defeat both the dickless mooks claimed to be the strongest warriors ever, and the grass vikings who were claimed to be the strongest warriors ever.

Accretionist posted:

Also, I'm very worried about what these leaks mean for Bronn.

Bronn survives, and apparently Tyene is still alive after who knows how many months it took Daenerys to give birth, and they both go to rule Dorne. Fanfic endings for some, offscreen explosions for others.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 21, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The outline was also apparently written by someone who doesn't realize Wights and White Walkers are not the same thing but I mean I don't know whether that makes it less convincing or more.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

One other thing: I don't give a poo poo about travel time or where zombies found giant chains (seriously? I can't believe people were bothered by that, it was a cool visual) but good fuckin god the Arya Sansa poo poo was so bad.

I've never seen such forced conflict in my life. It's so desperate, and its so stupid, and really should have been laughed out of the writers room. You have Littlefinger, Northern Lords, Vale Lords, and the newly reunited Sansa and Arya. You can think of ways to come up with some conflict that makes at least a little bit of organic sense. This is so bad its worse than most made up spoiler fan fiction.

This is exactly how I felt. I can suspend belief about the speed of travel because they didn't spend an entire season talking about travel speeds. Half of Arya's assassin training was dedicated to assessing if someone is telling the truth. For her to not believe Sansa is so stupid.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Well, Littlefinger is supposed to be this masterful manipulator, so it would make sense that he could make Arya believe that Sansa was trying to take over as ruler of the North.

However, the whole thing is so badly written and Littlefinger has been so dumbed down the last few seasons it's just totally unbelievable at this point.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The outline was also apparently written by someone who doesn't realize Wights and White Walkers are not the same thing but I mean I don't know whether that makes it less convincing or more.

Well filming is supposed to begin next month so the different locations and pics that come out from that will give us an idea on the veracity of the leaks.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Bronn survives, and apparently Tyene is still alive after who knows how many months it took Daenerys to give birth, and they both go to rule Dorne. Fanfic endings for some, offscreen explosions for others.

It said "one of Oberyn's daughters", which could technically work given that he stated that he had eight, and only three have appeared on-screen/been killed. Of course, there is no reason for the writers to pair him off with a previously unseen and unnamed character.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

It said "one of Oberyn's daughters", which could technically work given that he stated that he had eight, and only three have appeared on-screen/been killed. Of course, there is no reason for the writers to pair him off with a previously unseen and unnamed character.

Plus, you know, he needs the bad poosay.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm so thankful they cast the Whale Rider girl as the "nice girl" who was rated M for murder and not for bad sexual harassment dialogue.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The leaks sound hella fake just because of the way the prose is written, they don't sound like someone listing off plot points they've seen secondhand in a script they sound like someone writing a barebones story, it jumps between saying what happens and explaining what the characters are thinking etc. Theres a strong "this is how I think it should go" fan fiction feel.

Especially in how neat the ending is ("and then everyone ends up as heads of their respective houses through some plot contrivance or another, implying history is all going to repeat again! get it?")

I mean I would expect someone who had seen a script where Danyrys dies and gets pelted with poo poo to relay it with more of a "holy poo poo yeah you read that right this actually happens wtf" feel.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 21, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Euron's actor claiming everyone would hate him more than Ramsay backs up the leaks a bit. So far he has done nothing that can be hate warrant, but indirectly killing or shaming the 2 fan favorite protagonists would bump him up the ladder.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

massive spider posted:

The leaks sound hella fake just because of the way the prose is written, they don't sound like someone listing off plot points they've seen secondhand in a script they sound like someone writing a barebones story. Theres a strong "this is how I think it should go" fan fiction feel. Especially in how neat the ending is ("and then everyone ends up as heads of their respective houses through some plot contrivance or another, implying history is all going to repeat again! get it?")

I mean I would expect someone who had seen a script where danyrys dies and gets pelted in poo poo to relay it with more of a "holy poo poo yeah you read that right this actually happens wtf" feel.

Did you read the leaked outlines from this season?

Though personally I do think that even though the format of the leaked outlines was somewhat similar (though they were a lot more heavy on details and dialogue) part of the reason I question the authenticity of these leaks is that they are stylistically very different, the season 7 outlines were kind of humorous and lighthearted while the season 8 ones just basically poo poo out plot points in a rapid succession. Although these could be rough drafts while the more developed ones come later, so who knows.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Did you read the leaked outlines from this season?

Though personally I do think that even though the format of the leaked outlines was somewhat similar (though they were a lot more heavy on details and dialogue) part of the reason I question the authenticity of these leaks is that they are stylistically very different, the season 7 outlines were kind of humorous and lighthearted while the season 8 ones just basically poo poo out plot points in a rapid succession. Although these could be rough drafts while the more developed ones come later, so who knows.

Don't most leaks happen because someone has some notes for things that aren't finalized and so they forget to competently scrub them from existence?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Season 8 is starting production later than any prior season and yet people think that the entire thing has been leaked earlier than all the prior season leaks?

I mean its possible I guess but most likely these 'leaks' are total bullshit. I fully expect the real season leaks to be out around December like every single other year.

Also stop using spoiler tags in the spoiler thread you retards.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Season 8 is starting production later than any prior season and yet people think that the entire thing has been leaked earlier than all the prior season leaks?

I mean its possible I guess but most likely these 'leaks' are total bullshit. I fully expect the real season leaks to be out around December like every single other year.

I got probated for doing that in an old thread. I demand justice.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

lezard_valeth posted:

Euron's actor claiming everyone would hate him more than Ramsay backs up the leaks a bit. So far he has done nothing that can be hate warrant, but indirectly killing or shaming the 2 fan favorite protagonists would bump him up the ladder.

According to the dude who plays Jaime they don't have the scripts yet

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:agreed:

We got false early leaks before, this is nothing new.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

There's zero chance the main villain is Euron and Dany dies so early, c'mon now.

That's the opposite of the kind of fan-fiction the show has right now.

Euron's definitely set up as the biggest human villain in the books, at least.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

tadashi posted:

Don't most leaks happen because someone has some notes for things that aren't finalized and so they forget to competently scrub them from existence?

The winter leak group (the guys who stole 1.5tbs of data from HBO and have been trying to get money from HBO ever since) leaked the actual plot outline documents written by the GoT writing team back in April 2016 for episodes 4 & 5 of this season. They were proper outlines and not just notes scrubbed on a piece of paper, they contained some dialog, specific action sequences, etc although many parts were along the lines of "X meets with Y, this doesn't have to necessarily happen on screen."

The season 8 "leaks" are definitely designed to look like they originate from similar outlines with a similar level of polish and finalization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
If Arya kills Cersei that'll be the ultimate sign of how far the show's diverging from the books, since she's not the valonqar (unless they pull a "prince/princess that was promised" again)

• Locked thread