Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't that just a ten minute audio drama?

Awws. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah the RightStuf page for the set says its just the audio drama thing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I unironically support a full anime adaptation of the :catdrugs: that is frozen teardrop.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd be legit surprised if there's never an offical English release of the Frozen Teardrop novel at some point though, considering Wing's general popularity in the U.S. compared to other Gundam TV programs and how we're even getting Glory of the Losers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I've never understood about anime dubbing is how the sound quality often sounds so fuzzy. It's not a problem anymore, but you look at any of the old 90s gundam OVAs or even the Ocean and Blue Water dubs for 0079 and Zeta and the sound quality for the dubs always sounds incredibly tinny like they had the treble cranked to 11. Was licensing and dubbing really so threadbare at the time that they couldn't afford better sound recording?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

One thing I've never understood about anime dubbing is how the sound quality often sounds so fuzzy. It's not a problem anymore, but you look at any of the old 90s gundam OVAs or even the Ocean and Blue Water dubs for 0079 and Zeta and the sound quality for the dubs always sounds incredibly tinny like they had the treble cranked to 11. Was licensing and dubbing really so threadbare at the time that they couldn't afford better sound recording?

Let me put it this way; Metal Gear Solid was dubbed in David Hayter's apartment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let me put it this way; Metal Gear Solid was dubbed in David Hayter's apartment.

And, by the standards of its day, that was one of the good dubs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

my favorite thing about this is how when Twin Snakes came out and people were freaking out about the redub, there were all sorts of horseshit conspiracies about why until a crew guy came out and said it was because when they tried remastering the old dub they could hear loving traffic in the background.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

my favorite thing about this is how when Twin Snakes came out and people were freaking out about the redub, there were all sorts of horseshit conspiracies about why until a crew guy came out and said it was because when they tried remastering the old dub they could hear loving traffic in the background.

PublicTransit?!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

PublicTransit?!

Mobile Gear!?

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

RevolverDivider posted:

The IBO dub is excellent and all on Youtube. While some of the casting was a little weird the actual performances are excellent.

I can't get into it. "Lofter" is downright weird as a pronunciation (we have plenty of cultural precedent for adjectival names, she's literally Laughter, just being pronounced by a Japanese speaker, why avoid it in its proper language), Mika has the emotiveness that Heero Yuy didn't and should have, it just didn't work for me.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Off Topic:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something like that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah they did the dub on some big mansion on the corner of an intersection and there was traffic all the time. Because they were on a tight budget, and they didn't have a real studio, instead of doing separate sessions, they got all the voice actors together in the same room. This is why the original dub feels a little more natural. Instead of editing it together through sessions, they were actually carrying a conversation.

Of course, they had to do it all over again if they heard poo poo like the Trash guys backing up in the middle of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ai1bh-D3K8

Here's an hour long video detailing everything if you're interested.

Flimsy, but On-Topic:

Oh man, I'm looking up Toonami Promos for Gundams, Wing and 08th MS. I'll never forget the violin mix right when Gundam Wing airs an episode, feel like a kid again

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 13, 2017

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Any idea when the second episode of Battlogue will air? I need more good Build Fighters stuff in my life.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

And, by the standards of its day, that was one of the good dubs.

Other than Mei Lings ridiculous accent, the games dub is still great though?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anime Director Yasuhiko open to the idea of remaking Gundam 0079.

You don't say.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know I'd watch it, The Origin an awesome retelling.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Isn't origin going to (eventually) cover everything?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

For the moment it's only covering the flashback volumes, but it'd be entirely unsurprising for more OVAs to get announced soon after.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Maybe this is fully explained in the Unicorn novel or something. When they say "Full Frontal stole our new advanced Mobile Suit, the Sinanju!!!" they actually mean "Anaheim Electronics are still willing to sell poo poo to Neo Zeon in this, the year of our lord 0096", right?

Or was that one a genuine Gundamjack? Both seem equally probable to me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anaheim Electronics is the Dean from the Conspiracy Theories episode of Community.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Full Frontal ambushed the sinanju stein prototype with a geara doga and stole it, masking the theft as a transfer. The stein prototype was designed off of data taken from the rx-93 and the sazabi and is a precursor to what eventually became the unicorn. So bit of column a, bit of column b, Anaheim are assholes, news at 11.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 16, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Anaheim are the only reason either A.E.U.G or the League Militaire existed, were properly equipped and ultimately successful, so I'm willing to cut them some slack personally. They're also responsible for anyone successfully fighting against Delaz since members risked personal safety as well as professional lashback to give them units that would allow resistance.

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 16, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And yet stealing the dendrobium got the albion's captain executed for treason, Kou court martial, and still didn't stop Delaz's plan or the federation scheme to take advantage of the crisis to impose military police. Sure their laser system might have redirected the colony into the sights of the federation fleet but still didn't stop it.
Operation Stardust is just the most colossal fuckup ever for all parties. The only part of the plot that went to plan was the diversionary attack on the naval review.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

RevolverDivider posted:

The IBO dub is excellent and all on Youtube. While some of the casting was a little weird the actual performances are excellent.

Minus Mikazuki being pronounced Mee-KUH-zoo-kee (which is a thing that bothers me but maybe not other people), pretty good.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/smktty/status/897965598717640705

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Beelerzebub posted:

Minus Mikazuki being pronounced Mee-KUH-zoo-kee (which is a thing that bothers me but maybe not other people), pretty good.

It was weird to me too at first

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The quality of the dub is what got me to watch IBO in the first place. I could stand to rewatch S2 once dubbed.

Bending a pronunciation to be a little more natural in english should happen more often. I'm looking at you whoever decided to stick to 'Seemoan'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ranzear posted:

The quality of the dub is what got me to watch IBO in the first place. I could stand to rewatch S2 once dubbed.

Bending a pronunciation to be a little more natural in english should happen more often. I'm looking at you whoever decided to stick to 'Seemoan'.

What do you mean, Ow-reka? :confused:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do you mean, Ow-reka? :confused:

tbf calling her eureka would sound pretty dumb as well

unless you're talking about someone else idk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not Gundam but I liked that the name Fuse was changed in an English dub to Foosay instead of Fsssaaaaaaay every tome someone screamed his name.
Would you rather a kshyria Zabi or a kissilia Zabi?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Would you rather a kshyria Zabi or a kissilia Zabi?

The latter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I specifically remember the mess that was the process of dubbing Eureka 7. They recorded like a dozen episodes before the japanese overlords came over and told them to change Eureka pronunciation.

Also Yuri Lowenthal was originally Renton before they switched to JYB. It was frankly amazing that the dub came out as normal as it did otherwise.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Tae posted:

I specifically remember the mess that was the process of dubbing Eureka 7. They recorded like a dozen episodes before the japanese overlords came over and told them to change Eureka pronunciation.

Which way did they demand it be?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The one we know today. From what's been reported, they recorded about 13 episodes with Yuri as Renton with You-ree-ka before the VA director was told that they had to use the japanese pronunciation. So I guess that's when they decided to switch to JYB because Yuri's Renton was too low.

You can still hear Yuri's Renton in the first dozen episodes in some places,

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

The latter.

Exactly. In that instance the latter is more correct, while the former was phonetically copying the japanese pronunciation of Ls as Rs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trailer for the English dub of Bandit Flower is out. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was for December sky considering the trailer is 90% December Sky footage and none of the season 2 footage shown had any talking.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I'm checking out the OVAs after finishing up MSG/Z/ZZ. 08th MS Team was good. Igloo however... does that one get better? The half-minute of Char fighting the federation ships barely made it tolerable.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Igloo is kind of bad all around.

There are legit more interesting movies about people making actual igloos.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A movie about a Ball and a Zakrello working together to make an Igloo. Feel free to call Banrise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Thank god. The animation in that first episode was like if Foodfight had a stable camera. Real awful :(