Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
So thanks to everyone who helped me gear out my SRS. I re-rolled the staff and got the Grip of Council gloves. I'm sitting at 21k dps per head with lvl 19 gems and no quality. Pretty much satisfied because any more upgrades would cost way more than I want to put in, a Kaom's plate and Baron helmet.

Now for the next build!

What builds are out there that does A LOT of dmg and are great for mapping and bosses. My goal is to be able to do Uber Atziri and Shaper/4 bosses. Raider/Pathfinder seem really strong ascendancy classes.

Budget wise would like something reasonable but I understand in order to get a ton of damage I need to invest in it.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Imagine how awesome it will be when GGG will set prices for every item and/or starts moderating trades based on popular perception of "scam".

New players should be taught, not spoon-fed their way into a hugbox in a game that tries to be all about "freedom" and "hardcore experience".

why do you think its okay that someone SHOULD NOT use in game services to do trading? A new player who wants to trade is going to go to trade chat and be super ripped off. Just lol if you're okay with this. I'm not even talking about price fixing or scamming on 3rd party sites. How about they fix it so I don't need to use 3rd party tools to trade in their game.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fixit posted:

So thanks to everyone who helped me gear out my SRS. I re-rolled the staff and got the Grip of Council gloves. I'm sitting at 21k dps per head with lvl 19 gems and no quality. Pretty much satisfied because any more upgrades would cost way more than I want to put in, a Kaom's plate and Baron helmet.

Now for the next build!

What builds are out there that does A LOT of dmg and are great for mapping and bosses. My goal is to be able to do Uber Atziri and Shaper/4 bosses. Raider/Pathfinder seem really strong ascendancy classes.

Budget wise would like something reasonable but I understand in order to get a ton of damage I need to invest in it.

Thanks!

barons not expensive. And you'll need gear totaling what that costs to do uber or shaper unless you have reflexes like a god.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Hit t1 life on first essence and then haku/scoured the affixes.

Only have like 5 ex left over so I guess I'll just multimod it for now?

You might be able to sell that for far far more than 5ex as it is. That is a really nice regal!

Also, please everyone else, shut up.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I started playing this game two weeks ago and it's really fun, then I made a new character with a guide after getting a feel for the game and it got a lot more fun but I really wish they had an in-game database that let you search through skill gems, or at least skill gems you can potentially see at that point in the game.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

why do you think its okay that someone SHOULD NOT use in game services to do trading? A new player who wants to trade is going to go to trade chat and be super ripped off. Just lol if you're okay with this. I'm not even talking about price fixing or scamming on 3rd party sites. How about they fix it so I don't need to use 3rd party tools to trade in their game.
Why do you selectively not read when I post that I am all for using exclusively in-game service for trading, and think that the current state of affairs is suboptimal?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fixit posted:

Now for the next build!

Thanks!

ngahamu cyclone slayer has been tons of fun for me, you can run with avatar of fire on the tree instead of xoph's blood and still have enough damage to kill guardians (keep in mind that t16's/shaper/uber are all mechanics heavy fights... most of them have attacks that you just can't facetank through by throwing money at the problem. I did my first few guardians wearing a biscos this league for example). Xoph's blood is pretty drat expensive, but you can make plenty of cash and have fun mapping while you earn that dough in the meantime without it.

Haven't actually pulled off uber atziri with it yet, but that's more because I need to get good at spinning and not so much because the damage isn't there.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1819239 is the guide i've largely been following, it's got some nice options for running in a 5l or without xoph's blood

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Control Volume posted:

I started playing this game two weeks ago and it's really fun, then I made a new character with a guide after getting a feel for the game and it got a lot more fun but I really wish they had an in-game database that let you search through skill gems, or at least skill gems you can potentially see at that point in the game.

If you do a side quest in the Library area of Act 3 you get access to a vendor that sells every skill gem except for the ones you unlock at act four and the 5 or so non-vaal gems that aren't sold by any vendor ever.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Eminai posted:

If you do a side quest in the Library area of Act 3 you get access to a vendor that sells every skill gem except for the ones you unlock at act four and the 5 or so non-vaal gems that aren't sold by any vendor ever.

And then there's the A6 town vendor who does the same thing (and you don't have to haul currency with you to boot). Do note that the Library quest does unlock some very useful support gems.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I just ripped my cycloner at 88, someone give me a fun HC build I can do with like ~250c

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I used an ancient orb on a Bramblejack and got an almost perfectly rolled Belly, so those are cool.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Eminai posted:

Yeah that ghost guy was good for act three but then there's a bunch of different ones that appear even later and I don't have a unified place to actually look at them all. I just want an in-game database that tells me which skill gems are sold by which vendor and which skill gems I can't buy at all, even if it's just a temporary unavailability.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Yeah that ghost guy was good for act three but then there's a bunch of different ones that appear even later and I don't have a unified place to actually look at them all. I just want an in-game database that tells me which skill gems are sold by which vendor and which skill gems I can't buy at all, even if it's just a temporary unavailability.

Again:

whypick1 posted:

And then there's the A6 town vendor who does the same thing (and you don't have to haul currency with you to boot). Do note that the Library quest does unlock some very useful support gems.

If you've gotten to A6 and done the Library quest, literally every gem that's not drop-only or a Vaal gem will be available to you.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

barons not expensive. And you'll need gear totaling what that costs to do uber or shaper unless you have reflexes like a god.

Really? I thought 160c was considered expensive gear.

Mr. Despair posted:

ngahamu cyclone slayer has been tons of fun for me, you can run with avatar of fire on the tree instead of xoph's blood and still have enough damage to kill guardians (keep in mind that t16's/shaper/uber are all mechanics heavy fights... most of them have attacks that you just can't facetank through by throwing money at the problem. I did my first few guardians wearing a biscos this league for example). Xoph's blood is pretty drat expensive, but you can make plenty of cash and have fun mapping while you earn that dough in the meantime without it.

Haven't actually pulled off uber atziri with it yet, but that's more because I need to get good at spinning and not so much because the damage isn't there.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1819239 is the guide i've largely been following, it's got some nice options for running in a 5l or without xoph's blood

I ran this last league as a Juggernaut. It is a great build! I am considering the Debeon's axe for a the cold version.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Debeon's Dirge is not a cold version of Ngamahu, it is just a good generic ele cyclone weapon. You are getting a high dps weapon and losing ALL of the single target DPS that the Ngamahu orbs provide. I would never bother with that build when you can just do Ngamahu and path up to Avatar of Fire instead of buying Xoph's. Even a 5link Cyclone kills all trash in a T16 map instantly when going past it, extra trash clear dps is pointless.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Again:

If you've gotten to A6 and done the Library quest, literally every gem that's not drop-only or a Vaal gem will be available to you.

Yeah well I wanna know about the vaal gems! or know what gems are available when I'm level 30! ugh!!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Again:

You don't even have to do the library quest to unlock the A6 gem vendor, I think you just have to do the first quest in A6 to clear the twilight strand.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Yeah well I wanna know about the vaal gems! or know what gems are available when I'm level 30! ugh!!

Oh, well in that case...I can't think of anything in-game that tells you all that stuff. The wiki has all that info, but I can understand the frustration of not having it in the game.

deep dish peat moss posted:

You don't even have to do the library quest to unlock the A6 gem vendor, I think you just have to do the first quest in A6 to clear the twilight strand.

Still need to do the Library quest in order to unlock that set of gems though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Still need to do the Library quest in order to unlock that set of gems though.
What? I've never done library this league and I'm able to buy all of the normally available gems from Lilly.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If they do fix trading, I hope they keep the thing where if you underprice an item you get a million whispers. That way a newbie can learn that they've underpriced something instead of having no clue at all that it happened.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You vastly underestimate how bad newbies can be.

My partner picked up this game as their first arpg ever

This is not an easy game

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fixit posted:

Really? I thought 160c was considered expensive gear.

I paid ~550c for my xoph's blood. All told I think I've dumped just shy of 2000c into it actually, but basically all of that isn't really necessary (and i saved some money by doing stuff like 6linking my 50% damage bronn's for less than buying one outright, divining up my own 100% quant biscos, etc).

The point I'm trying to make is that you can spend shitloads of money making a build better (I still want some nice opal rings, but I gotta build up my cash again first), but that first 160c will get you enough of a build that you can farm up anything you could want.

Cinara posted:

Debeon's Dirge is not a cold version of Ngamahu, it is just a good generic ele cyclone weapon. You are getting a high dps weapon and losing ALL of the single target DPS that the Ngamahu orbs provide. I would never bother with that build when you can just do Ngamahu and path up to Avatar of Fire instead of buying Xoph's. Even a 5link Cyclone kills all trash in a T16 map instantly when going past it, extra trash clear dps is pointless.

I agree with this. It's good enough, but nghamu's seems better (and cheaper to start, since you don't need to 6l anything).

That said, one fun thing I tried for a bit was charged dash ngahamu, you could proc molten burst pretty fast on bosses and I was clearing shaped beach with a level 1 charged dash swapped in for my cyclone. It might not be the most efficient thing though... you're losing some of the lightning damage with avatar of fire on. Something fun to dick around with for sure though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found this little thing earlier

Has another suffix slot open as well, in case I need something later.

Not exactly best in slot, but a fair bit better than whatever I was already using.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

I paid ~550c for my xoph's blood. All told I think I've dumped just shy of 2000c into it actually, but basically all of that isn't really necessary (and i saved some money by doing stuff like 6linking my 50% damage bronn's for less than buying one outright, divining up my own 100% quant biscos, etc).

The point I'm trying to make is that you can spend shitloads of money making a build better (I still want some nice opal rings, but I gotta build up my cash again first), but that first 160c will get you enough of a build that you can farm up anything you could want.

Holy wow! Most I ever invested in a character was maybe 2.5ex and that was super expensive to me. I wanted to spend another 4ex but never saved enough up. It takes me a while to earn currency because I can run maybe 5-10 maps a night (if I focus just on mapping and not looking at my gear or build).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Qwertycoatl posted:

If they do fix trading, I hope they keep the thing where if you underprice an item you get a million whispers. That way a newbie can learn that they've underpriced something instead of having no clue at all that it happened.

The problem though is you've usually sold the item to someone using some other tool by the time poe.trade catches up

as I found out yesterday when I slightly underpriced a Wise Oak, sold it in 10 minutes, then roughly 20 minutes later the poe.trade deluge started

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Okay, I need your help on this one guys.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/_AXARCA_/characters

My AvionDelChapecoense character is doing kinda bad in maps - she has Not Good DPS and survivability, and I want to know what can I do/buy to improve. What should I aim for? I haven't had an upgrade drop in a LONG time (at least not one with the right sockets).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

the second worst part of it is how much out-of-game knowledge you're expected to accumulate about the economy if you want to function, yeah
i think that's the best part. example: finding boots or gloves with an open crafting affix/suffix that the owner didn't know existed.

some stat rolls are combo health/armor or es/stun % so if people see 6 they say huh I guess that's it. But me, an intellectual, can look at the item and do some math and take an educated guess that the item could have an open slot. If it does, you can craft another resistance and flip the item instantly for 20c+

or

Soothing Vapors posted:

The problem though is you've usually sold the item to someone using some other tool by the time poe.trade catches up

as I found out yesterday when I slightly underpriced a Wise Oak, sold it in 10 minutes, then roughly 20 minutes later the poe.trade deluge started

you can do this. a python script i cobbled together out of a few different scripts that checks every item listed against its poe.ninja average price and gives me an autowhisper if its over a certain threshold.

do I want this to go away? yep. but I'm going to abuse it until they take it from my cold headhunter-having hands

also I should note that that witchfire is listed below the price, but has an insanely high roll. I could probably flip that for 10c profit easily. welcum 2 poe

mbt fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 21, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Azran posted:

My AvionDelChapecoense character is doing kinda bad in maps - she has Not Good DPS and survivability, and I want to know what can I do/buy to improve. What should I aim for? I haven't had an upgrade drop in a LONG time (at least not one with the right sockets).

You need a much better weapon. Try searching for at least like 400 physical dps, on a two handed sword that shouldn't cost too much. I'd aim for about 4k hp going into maps with capped elemental resists. Either get more flat hp from gear or get more passive nodes.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Azran posted:

Buy a doomsower for a couple C and like triple your dps

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Has there been any word on whether it will be possible to link an Xbox PoE account to a PC one? Like I know the realms and characters will be separate, but if I bought a stash tab or something on PC I don't see why that couldn't be extended to the Xbox.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Nah, the problem was that the loot drop rates sucked, so buying the gear you needed off the AH became the only viable way to progress in higher difficulties. Dying was expensive as hell (you had to repair your gear), so after reaching a certain point most people just gave up on the game itself and sat and spammed "refresh" on the AH hoping for better items.
This is the other half of the equation, I'd say. You had a shallow pool of useful items, which was compounded by the fact that they simply never dropped. It was a bad arrangement.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Same, which is why I mentioned earlier that I'd like in-game function equivalent to poe.trade.

Not sure I'm all on board with all the taxation and ~le scammer protection~.
Taxation is basically a way to prevent inflation more than anything. Not sure it's necessary in a league. As for scammers, yeah, not a big deal. Although an AH would reduce the number of people getting taken advantage of in trade channels, which is a much more valid concern.

Phobophilia posted:

naw, this bit would not work, then you'd use another character to mule over items from ssf to the regular league
Yes, that's what people would think to do. If you balance those drop rates correctly though, it's not really that efficient. You spend X hours cranking on some SSF character to get more drops, up until something useful enough drops I guess, and then you convert the character. But now your SSF guy is toast and can't farm anymore, so that object you needed has to be valuable to make it worth torching. In contrast, your non-SSF guy could just be farming away and selling everything decent in order to buy the item he needs, just as happens today. As long as the SSF drop rate makes it a percentage point worse than just playing normally and using the AH, it's all balanced.

I'm also still amazed that people think POE is accessible. I played D2, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, and D3, and it's still not accessible. Someone stumbling upon it on Steam that didn't grow up on ARPGs is going to hit a real hard brick wall pretty quickly, and they're not going to know what they hosed up unless they go combing through reddit and build guides.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Azran posted:

you can save a point by pathing outside to Iron Reflexes, same with Iron Grip

path towards RT, your dps should be good if you buy that Doomsower (if you have more money think about getting a 500+ dps weapon, you might have to repath a point to axes)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Has there been any word on whether it will be possible to link an Xbox PoE account to a PC one? Like I know the realms and characters will be separate, but if I bought a stash tab or something on PC I don't see why that couldn't be extended to the Xbox.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1890670

quote:

PC and Xbox One accounts are completely separate. You can't transfer anything between them.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

But now your SSF guy is toast and can't farm anymore

No, because that's what the mule circumvents. Your SSF stash is shared between characters, so you just make a new level 1 character that you load up what you want to sell and transfer just him out of SSF. The only way to prevent this would be to get rid of the per-character transfer option.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't see why that couldn't be extended to the Xbox.
Likely some chore air-gapping Xbox ecosystem from the rest of the world.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Just started this yesterday, pretty good so far. Good Diablo 2 vibes, seems closer to a sequel than Diablo 3 in many respects. I actually really like the way they jacked the Materia System and Sphere Grid from Final Fantasy, my only complaint is that it's a bit overwhelming at the outset.

Surprised to see a bleed-centric duelist seems to be working well so far. I imagine it will abruptly cease to work in the late game, but it's pretty fun now. I'm hoping to avoid guides until I try a few builds from scratch. Respec points reset the whole grid, right?

Does anyone else get like 100 exceptions every time they close the client? I'm not sure what the problem is, but it only happens when I close the game.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

NofrikinfuN posted:

Respec points reset the whole grid, right?

1 point = 1 node you can change.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NofrikinfuN posted:

Just started this yesterday, pretty good so far. Good Diablo 2 vibes, seems closer to a sequel than Diablo 3 in many respects. I actually really like the way they jacked the Materia System and Sphere Grid from Final Fantasy, my only complaint is that it's a bit overwhelming at the outset.

Surprised to see a bleed-centric duelist seems to be working well so far. I imagine it will abruptly cease to work in the late game, but it's pretty fun now. I'm hoping to avoid guides until I try a few builds from scratch. Respec points reset the whole grid, right?

Does anyone else get like 100 exceptions every time they close the client? I'm not sure what the problem is, but it only happens when I close the game.

It really is the spiritual sequel to d2 in the way d3 was not.

Respec points are one node at a time, probably if you're rolling characters from scratch you'll probably reroll one more time once you actually decide to look at a guide. Or maybe you're a mad genius!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

DemonMage posted:

1 point = 1 node you can change.

Hmm, that's not good. I guess I can erase a dexterity node I grabbed out of desperation, but I had hoped it worked like retcons in Marvel Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NofrikinfuN posted:

Yeah its a recently introduced bug. Hopefully will be fixed for the next minor patch.