Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Did you know that Rio Grande Games™ was running free Rio Grande Games™ demos in the Rio Grande Games™ room just above the dealer's hall, all weekend, brought to you by Rio Grande Games™? How could anyone run out of things to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
and yet those motherfuckers did not have a copy of navegador for me to buy

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

My first GenCon had a lot of Cardhalla in it. I'm pretty sure the picture for the event on Wikipedia from '05 features my donated cards prominently, since I dumped a couple of boxes of my old Star Trek CCG collection. I kind of kept an eye on this year's even though I didn't participate. I didn't get there before or right at the beginning, but I took pictures a couple of times each day after Wednesday. Similar to my donation in '05, this year prominently featured a noticeably enormous amount of L5R cards, presumably because the new one released from FFG and everyone wanted to dump their old cards.

The space that the railings seemed to allot for Cardhalla seemed roughly the same size as my previous experience a decade ago. It was already filling up rapidly by mid-day Thursday.

It quickly ballooned to dominate the entryway it was in.

This is from Sunday morning. I was at the bidding and destruction on Saturday night, but I didn't get there early enough to get a good spot in the crowd, so all my pictures and videos turned out like poo poo. It was clearly far more popular than a decade ago. I think in '05 the first throw went for about $300-$400. This year, there was a bidding war between two halves of the giant crowd, and they raised $3,500 combined on the spot, with an additional $1,000 in matching funds from Cards Against Humanity. It was pretty impressive.

I spent a lot of time in the auction, and I still encourage people to check it out, but it wasn't the same as it was. I think there's just too much poo poo and not enough time, so you don't get those rambling stories and reactions to the weird, unique or just plain interesting crap that shows up. Maybe just because it was the 50th? I guess I'll see whenever I get to go back. I'm a little miffed that the massive amount of WH40k books disappeared from the store before I could get to them on Saturday after their prices bottomed out, but that's my fault for relaxing in the hotel until 4pm. Anyway, have some gems from the auction store that I didn't buy, but wanted to remember nonetheless.

None of the pictures I took did the rightmost kid justice. He is loving stoked to play this lovely, forgotten board game.

Don't think this cover grabbed me. I flipped through literally every RPG-looking book in the store.

But I only took pictures of the contents of this one.

It's some weird game where it's both a Warhammer-ish strategy game, but you can also create individual characters for traditional roleplaying as well. Also most of the elves are very sexy ladies with 80's hair. Most of them aren't giving gently caress-eyes to a miniature whale, tho.

Despite doing our best to drag our feet, before checking out of the hotel and driving 10 hours home, my friends and I made a quick trip to the GenCon Museum which was really cool. Basically we accomplished all our goals except Saturday's trip to the zoo to wear out the four-year-old in tow. I made one last quick dip into the exhibitor hall to say some goodbyes and drive myself further towards penury. That's how I got this!

10/10 would spend hundreds of dollars to go somewhere to spend hundreds more dollars to buy poo poo I don't need again

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 21, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Chill la Chill posted:

How easy is it to find and play a monster wargame at GenCon? Is it still a thing that happens or is it all about the normie games now? Assuming I have my GenCon history right, it was originally about wargames. I think that's what I'd like to do at GenCon as it'd be an awesome, rare treat.

Depends on your definition of monster wargame? Like ASL or North Africa? There was some historical miniatures wargaming run by HMGS midwest at the con (~6-8 tables) and they had a sand table in the museum where they were running Tractics. FFG debuted Star Wars: Legion which is a squad based minis wargame.

Chit and counter wargames I didn't really look for, but I imagine they were somewhere in the exhibit hall. The 18xx players have a large amount of tables to themselves so chit wargames probably have some.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Chill la Chill posted:

How easy is it to find and play a monster wargame at GenCon? Is it still a thing that happens or is it all about the normie games now? Assuming I have my GenCon history right, it was originally about wargames. I think that's what I'd like to do at GenCon as it'd be an awesome, rare treat. You can find info on new games easily and you'd be able to buy them cheaply a month or two afterwards anyway, so those don't really interest me.

I keep seeing these pics by people on the BGG facebook and it's just a bunch of commercially available (or soon to be) games at full price. :psyduck: I assume people stand in lines for hours for that crap.

There were at least half a dozen sailing navy wargames with foot long ship models running from 9am - 4 pm most days.

I also saw one or two tables with large WWII boards covering Russia up to the Urals. One game that I remember modeled the Finland front across ~3 hexes. The Finnish forces were represented by about 16 individual minis. Russian brigades were stands with bunches of guys on each and hexes large enough to fit several stands.

Dawn patrol had a whole section for themselves.

Also 16" mech model battles.

It's not the focus, but it is there. Gen Con is so large it has a little bit of everything at this point. If you're mainly interested in wargames, you would probably have more fun at a wargames convention though. I went to a bunch of oddball events and they were generally okay to good, but not at the same quality as you'd find at a convention focused on that niche.

Chill la Chill posted:

Also, LL6 sounds like they'd prefer a convention like MAGfest more. That's more of a 24-hour nonstop event.
Maybe?

One of my favorite things about Anime Expo was the rooms that were open 24/7. It was really easy and fun to stop in for 5 minutes or 5 hours or whatever and be part of a crowd, all enjoying the same hobby. I did join a few after-hours pick up games at Gen-con but it never felt as easy or as welcoming as Anime Expo or my local gaming convention did where the only limit on how much fun I could have was how long I could stay awake.

I'm glad other goons had a good time though.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Chill la Chill posted:

How easy is it to find and play a monster wargame at GenCon? Is it still a thing that happens or is it all about the normie games now? Assuming I have my GenCon history right, it was originally about wargames. I think that's what I'd like to do at GenCon as it'd be an awesome, rare treat. You can find info on new games easily and you'd be able to buy them cheaply a month or two afterwards anyway, so those don't really interest me.

I keep seeing these pics by people on the BGG facebook and it's just a bunch of commercially available (or soon to be) games at full price. :psyduck: I assume people stand in lines for hours for that crap.

there was a ticketed event for World In Flames: Operation Barbarossa. That would fill you in for wargames

Edit: LL6 you need to get into the groupme. You send a message and goons will tell you where to meet up and you play games and then they call you retarded. Can't be more welcoming than that!

Exmond fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 21, 2017

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

One of my favorite parts of the Gencon dealer hall is talking to the people that run the hobby. Execs, designers, artists, new media personalities, etc.

Also in regards to stuff to do after dealer hall closes, you can wander around the open table halls and companies will have non-ticketed demos and full games, also companies rent full rooms that do games like Rio, Asmadi, Iello, BGG hot boardgame room. Or you can go to the play test zone and help a game get better before release.

Or just play with goons (says the guy who is bad at it)

Never a reason to be bored at Gencon.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

If you want war games, you'll want to go to Origins instead. All the war gamers and companies have made Origins the grognard vacation. The commercial war game companies can't afford GenCon any longer so the focus on one event, Origins. They also do D&D and Pathfinder as well. GenCon has mostly been angling to general board gaming and away from the heavier stuff over the years. It's mostly fine because there are billions of 'Cons these days and not just one or two. Kinda how the San Diego Comic Con isn't Comics anymore, those are all done locally and at Chicago etc instead.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 21, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Philthy posted:

If you want war games, you'll want to go to Origins instead. All the war gamers and companies have made Origins the grognard vacation. The commercial war game companies can't afford GenCon any longer so the focus on one event, Origins. They also do D&D and Pathfinder as well. GenCon has mostly been angling to general board gaming and away from the heavier stuff over the years. It's mostly fine because there are billions of 'Cons these days and not just one or two. Kinda how the San Diego Comic Con isn't Comics anymore, those are all done locally and at Chicago etc instead.

Thanks, yeah. The normie vibe I've seen wrt purchases and hype is all I see. I might make it down to Gencon for an x-wing tournament next year, maybe, but I haven't been involved in the competitive scene as much now so might not be worth it. I'll look up Origins. Grognards paradise is what I want. You can find normie groups anywhere.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Out of curiosity, did anyone happen to test out Orcs Must Die!? I saw it like half an hour before the hall closed on Friday and the guys were busy with demos, but I never made it back on Saturday. I'm a sucker for the video game and was wondering how it'd actually play out.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, I presume folks that work with vendors might know - how are vendor spaces allocated? I presume wads of money a factor, but how does somebody get up-front where they lines queue while others languish in the shadowy rear end-end?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Wads of money are indeed the main factor. Mudcrab Merchant can probably give more specific info, but talking to friends who are exhibitors, the ICC charges you for pretty much everything but the air you breathe (and if they could figure that out, they would). Booths are costed on a per-square-foot basis. Want carpet in your booth? Pay extra. Want actual padding under that carpet? Pay extra.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Skypie posted:

Out of curiosity, did anyone happen to test out Orcs Must Die!? I saw it like half an hour before the hall closed on Friday and the guys were busy with demos, but I never made it back on Saturday. I'm a sucker for the video game and was wondering how it'd actually play out.

I recall in the groupme that it should have been called Orcs Must Dice!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ilor posted:

Wads of money are indeed the main factor. Mudcrab Merchant can probably give more specific info, but talking to friends who are exhibitors, the ICC charges you for pretty much everything but the air you breathe (and if they could figure that out, they would). Booths are costed on a per-square-foot basis. Want carpet in your booth? Pay extra. Want actual padding under that carpet? Pay extra.

Yeah, I was just curious because you'll have a publisher doing doing in the middle with a large booth and suddenly next year they're smack in the back behind the CCG pushers, and it left me wondering if that's a sign that things aren't doing so well for them.

djfooboo posted:

I recall in the groupme that it should have been called Orcs Must Dice!

Yeah, that was me. I didn't play it or anything, I mostly just struggled to envision a possible scenario where I'd want to play a board game over, you know, just playing OMD co-op. Doesn't the new version have up to 4-player co-op? Something like that? I should try it some more.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, that was me. I didn't play it or anything, I mostly just struggled to envision a possible scenario where I'd want to play a board game over, you know, just playing OMD co-op. Doesn't the new version have up to 4-player co-op? Something like that? I should try it some more.

OMD2 has 2 player co-op, and I think Unchained plays up to 4? I was in the same boat: wasn't sure how they managed to convert it to a board game, but I do have friends that don't play video games who might be interested in a tower defense sorta thing (they like Castle Panic).

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Skypie posted:

The demo I ran was pretty poorly handled but I got to play a good couple rounds of it and experience a good chunk of how it works.

You build a map from a big book of maps that includes like 4 or 5 difficulty levels. These maps are made up of tiles for rooms, with arrows on them that show you the flow of the bads. Some of the rooms have special abilities (like one let you put down an extra trap, one let you put a trap down for free, one lets you spend an action to injure a monster. You start the game by building an army deck that you flip every round to put more minions into play. You have a pool of items and traps you can buy with Skulls that you get from killing monsters. At first its pretty easy, you can kill most enemies yourself but after 3 rounds, the game "levels up", more expensive equipment and traps start coming into the pool, larger armies and often multiple fronts begin opening up with their own Monster Decks.

Damage is done by trying to match certain symbols to certain monsters - Kobolds need a Speed symbol to hit, Orcs a Sword, Mages a Brain, etc. Some traps are better at this than others. All the characters are weak against one or two of these elements and can only be hurt by them. There's some other stuff about special powers, leveling up the thing you're protecting, etc. It seems like it'll work really well solo if that's your bag.

Mechanically, it feels pretty solid, the opening couple of rounds are a slow ramp up which lulls you into a false sense of security as the early rounds tick on, only to kick you with a ramp up as soon as the next level comes. Its easy to get overwhelmed and each player has a kind of complimentary power that supports the team in some way.

Right now it feels a little low quality, components-wise. The character tile things are pretty low budget. The minis were pretty good though, at least the player ones. It sounds like they're releasing two editions, one with Bad Guys and one with Good Guys as the protagonists and you need both if you want to do PVP? I thought that was pretty weird but our demo person was kinda lovely at explaining it.

*shakes fist* nooooormiiiieeeessss

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The demo I ran was pretty poorly handled but I got to play a good couple rounds of it and experience a good chunk of how it works.

You build a map from a big book of maps that includes like 4 or 5 difficulty levels. These maps are made up of tiles for rooms, with arrows on them that show you the flow of the bads. Some of the rooms have special abilities (like one let you put down an extra trap, one let you put a trap down for free, one lets you spend an action to injure a monster. You start the game by building an army deck that you flip every round to put more minions into play. You have a pool of items and traps you can buy with Skulls that you get from killing monsters. At first its pretty easy, you can kill most enemies yourself but after 3 rounds, the game "levels up", more expensive equipment and traps start coming into the pool, larger armies and often multiple fronts begin opening up with their own Monster Decks.

Damage is done by trying to match certain symbols to certain monsters - Kobolds need a Speed symbol to hit, Orcs a Sword, Mages a Brain, etc. Some traps are better at this than others. All the characters are weak against one or two of these elements and can only be hurt by them. There's some other stuff about special powers, leveling up the thing you're protecting, etc. It seems like it'll work really well solo if that's your bag.

Mechanically, it feels pretty solid, the opening couple of rounds are a slow ramp up which lulls you into a false sense of security as the early rounds tick on, only to kick you with a ramp up as soon as the next level comes. Its easy to get overwhelmed and each player has a kind of complimentary power that supports the team in some way.

Right now it feels a little low quality, components-wise. The character tile things are pretty low budget. The minis were pretty good though, at least the player ones. It sounds like they're releasing two editions, one with Bad Guys and one with Good Guys as the protagonists and you need both if you want to do PVP? I thought that was pretty weird but our demo person was kinda lovely at explaining it.

*shakes fist* nooooormiiiieeeessss

Ah cool, thanks! I will probably keep an eye on it and maybe toss it on a Christmas list or something.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

That Old Tree posted:

My first GenCon had a lot of Cardhalla in it. I'm pretty sure the picture for the event on Wikipedia from '05 features my donated cards prominently, since I dumped a couple of boxes of my old Star Trek CCG collection. I kind of kept an eye on this year's even though I didn't participate. I didn't get there before or right at the beginning, but I took pictures a couple of times each day after Wednesday. Similar to my donation in '05, this year prominently featured a noticeably enormous amount of L5R cards, presumably because the new one released from FFG and everyone wanted to dump their old cards.

Every year I've been to GenCon, I've devoted an hour or two to Cardhalla. It's a good decompression activity. Thanks for the clear shots--it was huge this year! What did the Cards Against Humanity sign say?

Ilor posted:

If I recall correctly, seniority is also a consideration. You get bonus points the more years you've been exhibiting. From my two years of being a hanger-on at other people's booths, another "wads of money" consideration is expected return. None of the people I talked to who had been there for several years expected to make a profit at the show. Being there was about building awareness and strengthening bonds with existing fans. Depending on who you are, you can do that just as well (or you think you can) regardless of where you are.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

DNA Cowboys posted:

Every year I've been to GenCon, I've devoted an hour or two to Cardhalla. It's a good decompression activity. Thanks for the clear shots--it was huge this year! What did the Cards Against Humanity sign say?

They matched $1000 of funds raised for the charity.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I enjoyed reading LLSix's response to the convention because basically the only other person I have ever known who was underwhelmed by Gen-Con was underwhelmed for the opposite reason, that there was too much focus on events going on non-stop and not enough vendors (I have no idea how many vendors would be enough for that guy). I suppose it is hard to argue that it feels as welcoming as whatever conventions you are used to, though I suspect if it were not your first time you also would have felt less like it was in any way intimidating. I mean, it is impossible to walk the hallways from like 8 P. M. to who knows??? A. M. without finding games of Are You A Werewolf? every 50 feet.

As far as timing, I have been to several other conventions but I still do not entirely understand how Gen-Con could feel like it shuts down any more than any other one, and in fact much less so, coming from someone who was still yelling into a microphone to convince people to buy things for charity at about 2 A.M. Saturday.

Speaking of...

That Old Tree posted:

I spent a lot of time in the auction, and I still encourage people to check it out, but it wasn't the same as it was. I think there's just too much poo poo and not enough time, so you don't get those rambling stories and reactions to the weird, unique or just plain interesting crap that shows up. Maybe just because it was the 50th? I guess I'll see whenever I get to go back.
I have no idea what parts of the Auction you saw but I am sorry they were clearly the wrong ones. We had so many comments about how much better this year was than the last few, not to mention this was the swan song for Tim Kask and the almost-Swan-Song for Frank Mentzer, two of the people you must be talking about if you mention rambling stories, both of whom did several hours a day to go out (permanently for Tim, partially for Frank) with a bang.

That said, I am both obviously biased and also was in the room a total of about two hours on Thursday and Friday versus ten on Saturday, so maybe there were weird issues going on earlier that I did not experience. Plus, I suppose if you have not been there since the mid-2000s, that is also back when I thought the Auction was boring and barely checked it out, so it could easily be very different now for all I know.

What I am saying is, I am mystified that the event I believe is objectively the best thing happening every year is not equally enjoyed by others ;) ;) ;) :(

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
In all seriousness I can see why someone might not get as much out of Gen Con their first time. I was horrifically unprepared my first time, but then it was also the first gaming convention I'd been to aside from one or two times at GW's (which was kinda lame looking back on it). It's easy to miss out on the stuff you like when you don't know how to find it in the first place.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I actually cut a lot of events/seminars this year. Last year, we were running around like crazy and I never got to catch up with my friends. This year, we had three events; we missed one because my fiancee ended up having to work on Thursday. Otherwise we got downtown early afternoon and spent probably 12 hours across three days in the hall and STILL didn't get to check out some of what we wanted.

Then there's my lunatic friends who sign up for Munchkin tourneys every year and every year complain about people bending rules or using "special" items and :suicide:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This was my second year. Both years I've gone with three friends so I've loved it. We typically just load up on games in the exhibit hall on Thursday and play them most of the rest of the weekend wherever we find a space.

I'm not a huge gamer but I love going. It's a great time and I literally don't know how you could feel bored there unless you're completely antisocial.

We pretty much just freeplayed in the JW most of the weekend with an occasional trip or two back to the vendor booths.

The only real event we did was the Tim Fowers thing on Saturday night. There were like 8 people there but we got to test the Paperback expansion and Now Boarding. Now Boarding was fun as hell and the kickstarter goes up on Thursday.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have no idea what parts of the Auction you saw but I am sorry they were clearly the wrong ones. We had so many comments about how much better this year was than the last few, not to mention this was the swan song for Tim Kask and the almost-Swan-Song for Frank Mentzer, two of the people you must be talking about if you mention rambling stories, both of whom did several hours a day to go out (permanently for Tim, partially for Frank) with a bang.

That said, I am both obviously biased and also was in the room a total of about two hours on Thursday and Friday versus ten on Saturday, so maybe there were weird issues going on earlier that I did not experience. Plus, I suppose if you have not been there since the mid-2000s, that is also back when I thought the Auction was boring and barely checked it out, so it could easily be very different now for all I know.

I probably spent 2-3 hours early in the day and then another 1-2 hours late in the day, every day, in the auction. There were spots where it was fairly interesting, but the times when they were just churning through WH40k RPG books that some dude bought two of nearly every time, was kind of emblematic of my experience this year. There were also one or two times where it was "Okay, we want to move onto the next category of stuff/shut down for tonight, so we're going to just chew through as much of the poo poo on these tables as fast as possible." The best part was ?right before the charity auction? when ?David and Josh? were just making crazy poo poo up. "Hot molten lead! Put it on your child! Safe for children!" "My childhood, ages 3-10." "*holding up some post-apoc boardgame* America in 3 years! See the horrible future! Reserve is $20!"

I didn't get to see Frank do any actual auctioneering this year, which is absolutely what I'm nostalgia-ing most about. He'd tell a five-minute story about the history of some garbage product and get someone to pay $30 for it. Plus, I didn't see any really crazy products up on the block. I know this is just because of my timing. I saw someone carrying two copies of Titanic into the auction on Thursday.

Random auction story of yore:

My best friend, whom I have accompanied each time I've gone to GenCon, was a crazy game-hoarder back then. He bought all two or three copies of Titanic that came up one time. He spent $100+ each on four or five copies of the HeroQuest boardgame, with varying degrees of information on their condition. (You should've seen the look on the face of this one poor guy who bid on each one but dropped out after about $80.) One copy of HeroQuest looked nice on the outside, the rest of the boxes were in descending order of looking like poo poo on the outside. We went back to the hotel to cobble together a full game out of the collection, and as I opened the one with the shittiest, most torn-up box top, it was revealed to be completely pristine and unused. Unpunched cardboard, unclilpped sprues, no marks or water damage. We were stunned into silence and I carefully placed the box top back on it. He had gotten that one for like $90, back when used copies were reliably being sold for $150 on eBay.

quote:

What I am saying is, I am mystified that the event I believe is objectively the best thing happening every year is not equally enjoyed by others ;) ;) ;) :(

Hey, after '05 and especially '06, I swore if I ever came back I'd spend half of every day in the auction. But that was over 10 years ago. We've both changed!

I don't regret or resent it. Just, whatever the reason, it wasn't the thrill it was before. When I go back I'll still probably end up spending 3+ hours every day in the auction.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 22, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

Skypie posted:

I actually cut a lot of events/seminars this year. Last year, we were running around like crazy and I never got to catch up with my friends. This year, we had three events; we missed one because my fiancee ended up having to work on Thursday. Otherwise we got downtown early afternoon and spent probably 12 hours across three days in the hall and STILL didn't get to check out some of what we wanted.

Then there's my lunatic friends who sign up for Munchkin tourneys every year and every year complain about people bending rules or using "special" items and :suicide:

:sever:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Avenging Dentist posted:

In all seriousness I can see why someone might not get as much out of Gen Con their first time. I was horrifically unprepared my first time, but then it was also the first gaming convention I'd been to aside from one or two times at GW's (which was kinda lame looking back on it). It's easy to miss out on the stuff you like when you don't know how to find it in the first place.
That does make sense; my first time going (1997) I pretty much had no idea what it even was, other than "gaming wooo!" and I was a stupid teen so I was guaranteed to be impressed. But if I had actually heard something specific and thought I would try to focus on that one thing, I may have approached it in a way that made it suck. Like I knew there were live-action games that spanned the entire convention, but if I thought that was a common thing rather than a few weirdo exceptions, I would have been mad about the limited choice (in that case, pretty much "Star Trek, Vampire, or A Thing Just Like Vampire!") instead of experiencing constant nerdmazement.

Skypie posted:

Your friends would have loved the Munchkin shirt that was auctioned off for like $30 that let you like draw an extra card and ignore two negative effects (because it was autographed by both Steve Jackson and John... Kovalik?). The world of Munchkin is truly not one for the faint of heart

That Old Tree posted:

There were also one or two times where it was "Okay, we want to move onto the next category of stuff/shut down for tonight, so we're going to just chew through as much of the poo poo on these tables as fast as possible." The best part was ?right before the charity auction? when ?David and Josh? were just making crazy poo poo up. "Hot molten lead! Put it on your child! Safe for children!" "My childhood, ages 3-10." "*holding up some post-apoc boardgame* America in 3 years! See the horrible future! Reserve is $20!"
My name is not David (close!) but otherwise that is all accurate and I completely agree that it was very fun. Even though when Josh first declared we were pretending the items were other things I was like "yep, thanks, this is going to be bad" but I felt like 50% of it worked, which could have been way worse, and all our Auction overlords really care about is if things sell, and we sold previously-unsold things, so everyone won!

It also sounds, and this is not directed at you per se obviously, like the powers that be (including seemingly the charity partner itself) liked the Charity Auction having some lively zaniness to pick things back up once it started getting late, so I hope that will all happen again and my Gen-Con Saturdays will forever be 4-8 hours of yelling about toys.

That Old Tree posted:

I didn't get to see Frank do any actual auctioneering this year, which is absolutely what I'm nostalgia-ing most about. He'd tell a five-minute story about the history of some garbage product and get someone to pay $30 for it. Plus, I didn't see any really crazy products up on the block. I know this is just because of my timing. I saw someone carrying two copies of Titanic into the auction on Thursday.

Hey, after '05 and especially '06, I swore if I ever came back I'd spend half of every day in the auction. But that was over 10 years ago. We've both changed!

I don't regret or resent it. Just, whatever the reason, it wasn't the thrill it was before. When I go back I'll still probably end up spending 3+ hours every day in the auction.
Yeah fair enough, certainly timing is huge and there have definitely been crazier item years. There were no Spawn cars or handmade Pokémon chess sets. I think we should challenge the audience to try to sell one piece of ephemera from their gamerooms every year. You know, ephemera like a car

Watching Frank convince people to buy crap that he admits is crap but that he knows an insider story about really is wonderful. They sent him up to be my writer my first time doing non-T. O. V. A. and he is a great auctioneer teacher too, haha. "Not bad, but the guy who kept wavering in the back is easy to juice for a few extra bucks if you point him out." This is sort of the genesis of my advanced technique of "pointing at someone and telling them to put their card back up"

Also where was your friend when that awful beat-up copy of HeroQuest with a $95 reserve did not sell?!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

hey I've managed to get them playing games that are not Munchkin at game night now so that's a success. How they wanna spend their time at a con is their biz.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Your friends would have loved the Munchkin shirt that was auctioned off for like $30 that let you like draw an extra card and ignore two negative effects (because it was autographed by both Steve Jackson and John... Kovalik?). The world of Munchkin is truly not one for the faint of heart

Hilariously, one of them was bitching about a t-shirt that allowed the player to, if they were to remove the shirt and immediately put on another one, got to add +10 and draw another card. And the shirt beneath allowed something similar so this guy basically waited til the end of the game and pulled off one shirt, pulled off another and put on two more plain t-shirts and then made it impossible for anyone to stop him from winning.

And that's why I don't play Munchkin, let alone "competitive" Munchkin.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I can't believe those munchkin tournament shirts are actually legal. When it came up at the auction I thought it had to be a joke nobody took seriously.

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping making my first Gencon a blast. I had a real fear going in that I'd be too antisocial to let myself have a good time but everyone was great about roping me into conversations and games. My biggest regret is leaving too early basically every day of the con. Even the night I stayed until 1:30 I wish I had stayed another couple hours.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So do Munchkin tournaments include the handwashing rule and actually verify it? I keep seeing that dumb handwashing sign in all sorts of LGS's, but hey I guess it's a decent way to get us to wash our hands.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Atomicated posted:

I can't believe those munchkin tournament shirts are actually legal. When it came up at the auction I thought it had to be a joke nobody took seriously.

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping making my first Gencon a blast. I had a real fear going in that I'd be too antisocial to let myself have a good time but everyone was great about roping me into conversations and games. My biggest regret is leaving too early basically every day of the con. Even the night I stayed until 1:30 I wish I had stayed another couple hours.

Munchkin's rules literally have an exception for the game owner to makeup whatever rules they want, and that you can freely cheat if you can get away with it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Did anyone play games in the Play test hall? I was running my game there, and I'm curious what other people's impression of the room was.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Had a blast as always at Gen Con! If any of you were at any of the retrospective panels I would love feedback on them. Also, what were your thoughts on the museum?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Atomicated posted:

My regret was a little reverse in that we got down too late most days haha. I work nights, and adjusting sleep schedules is a bitch so I opted to keep my normal routine. Unfortunately that meant not getting downtown til 1 or 2

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This was my second full GenCon. Two things I'd do different next time is space out my events better, and actually make sure I know what my events are before committing to them (where's my breakfast Hickman? :( )

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
This was my first GenCon. It was great! I found the general congoers to be very friendly, but mostly hung out with goons.

Plus, got a story or two out of it!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

SirPhoebos posted:

This was my second full GenCon. Two things I'd do different next time is space out my events better, and actually make sure I know what my events are before committing to them (where's my breakfast Hickman? :( )

Haha, I had this problem my first year, I was so hungry during my next couple of events until I had a break to go grab some food.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My hotel from this year is already sold out for next year. :commissar:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Toshimo posted:

My hotel from this year is already sold out for next year. :commissar:

they don't usually let you book in advance anymore, so it might just be listed 'unavailable'

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sloober posted:

they don't usually let you book in advance anymore, so it might just be listed 'unavailable'

By "sold out", I mean that the limited number of government rate rooms they set aside for Saturday/Sunday are already gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wait, we can reserve early rooms as government employees. Whaaaaat?

• Locked thread