Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got to walk on the track at CotA for a solid 90 seconds this morning, it was pretty dope. Almost makes the rest of the day I'm gonna spend in corporate culture training hell worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

I mean, what are the chances that a semi-famous person is gonna murder you and steal your van?

And a football player at that! I mean, when's the last time a professional football player hurt someone?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And a football player at that! I mean, when's the last time a professional football player hurt someone?

Well I for one can't think of a single instance.

Serious talk, just filed the protective order so hopefully that's put to bed.

This saturday there's a memorial for my friend that was murdered back in February. Not sure if I will attend or not. I've come a very long way since it happened, physically and mentally and I'm not sure what it might do to me emotionally. It's also the anniversary of the death of my fiance's mother so it will be a bad day all around.

I'm a little out of sorts this week. I've been actively moving towards a new/better/more fun car but I keep hitting walls. Some days I wish I'd never become a car guy, I'd be a lot better off financially!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

Serious talk, just filed the protective order so hopefully that's put to bed.

This saturday there's a memorial for my friend that was murdered back in February. Not sure if I will attend or not. I've come a very long way since it happened, physically and mentally and I'm not sure what it might do to me emotionally. It's also the anniversary of the death of my fiance's mother so it will be a bad day all around.

I'm a little out of sorts this week. I've been actively moving towards a new/better/more fun car but I keep hitting walls. Some days I wish I'd never become a car guy, I'd be a lot better off financially!

This is a different murder from the one you were talking about 2 posts ago?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

This is a different murder from the one you were talking about 2 posts ago?

Yeah. One of my friends was shot back in Feb, the other was many years ago.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think my favorite part of each semester is the 30 minute presentations from the book companies on how to use their subscription-based online educational tools that the school has railroaded us into using. And even for senior classes it's still on the level of "To create an account for Connect, you will need to create a User Name, which is a sequence of letters and numbers which represents you in the coursework; you will also need to enter your Electronic Mail address, which is the username of your e-mail service where you get your e-mail (the one with @soandso.com at the end!)" like our asses haven't been using the internet from the womb.

And of course this one class has 2 of these things, both of which cost like $60/semester. Squeeze a little more blood out of that diamond, boys.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

Heathen! The best thing about having my own house is having a garage to park in. My car is never boiling hot when I want to go somewhere, and I never have to scrape ice off the windows or let it warm up to defrost. When I want to do an oil change, I open the garage door and set up a fan and cool the garage to a nice comfortable temperature.

Having a garage is awesome!

Also, being garage parked at home, and covered parking at work really seems to keep the finish and interior of the car in much better shape over time.

Someday, my garage will be empty enough to park a daily driver in. Currently, it's full of stuff, and a non-running car, despite my building a 10x20 shed for stuff. That said, it is a lot less full of stuff now. I need to sell the non-runner to fund making *another* non-runner a not-non-runner, and then I will be able to a) let my wife park in the garage, and b) have somewhere to work on stuff that's not on my sloped-not-too-much-but-enough-to-make-it-annoying/dangerous driveway out in the Texas sun. Also, somewhere to put a mid-rise lift (8' ceiling, no real option to raise it.)
Future house will have a shop of land for it, as well as the garage, and probably a carport for outside but out of the sun parking. Also, a separate laundry room, because oh God the laundry in my garage is pissing me off beyond measure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

I think my favorite part of each semester is the 30 minute presentations from the book companies on how to use their subscription-based online educational tools that the school has railroaded us into using. And even for senior classes it's still on the level of "To create an account for Connect, you will need to create a User Name, which is a sequence of letters and numbers which represents you in the coursework; you will also need to enter your Electronic Mail address, which is the username of your e-mail service where you get your e-mail (the one with @soandso.com at the end!)" like our asses haven't been using the internet from the womb.

And of course this one class has 2 of these things, both of which cost like $60/semester. Squeeze a little more blood out of that diamond, boys.

Remember that these book companies are run by old farts, and they still think this internet electronic book thing is pretty swell! (says an old fart who's still been using computers since grade school. I'm still blown away by how many people still struggle with personal computers, despite them being around since the late '70s, and ubiquitous since the '90s. Obviously, my world is not their world.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

slurry_curry posted:

Went to Rancid and the Dropkick Murphys show the other night. Kinda sad I never got the chance to see them play in a smaller venue(this was at the WaMu Theater in Seattle), but it was still awesome. At the end of the show both bands came out and played a bunch of covers, including Johnny Cash, which was amazing. Its a good thing they were in a big venue, I don't think they all would have fit on a smaller stage. I think there were at least 5 people playing guitar at once.

I think they are getting close to wrapping up the tour, but its def worth seeing if you have the chance.

Quality choice. Every couple years Dropkick Murphys come 'round and play a small venue here in town, and I go get deaf and drunk. They're a ton of fun.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Random question but is there anywhere on the forums I might be able to ask about an old nautical themed brass bell I picked up this past weekend?
I've found a fair few posts online about the same type of bell but most are asking for more information on them.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I just looked at the sun. :kingsley: Frankly I don't understand the out of proportion hype this is reaching.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

freelop posted:

Random question but is there anywhere on the forums I might be able to ask about an old nautical themed brass bell I picked up this past weekend?
I've found a fair few posts online about the same type of bell but most are asking for more information on them.

Maybe try /r/whatisthisthing. (Trigger warning: reddit)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I just looked at the sun. :kingsley: Frankly I don't understand the out of proportion hype this is reaching.

I would be doing this but it's cloudy here today :(

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If this is what nerds get excited over there's no way I'm believing their BS about global warming/vaccines/chemtrails/earth being round/heliocentrisim...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It's noticeably darker outside, and a little cooler. Only difference I've noticed. But we're only getting a partial eclipse here.

In 7 years we'll be in the path of a total eclipse (of the heart), I'll check it out then (if I'm still in this part of the country.. and alive).

I've been watching NASA's live stream though, it was kinda cool watching Idaho Falls get dark.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 21, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Fun little distraction on a Monday afternoon?

Currently outside with about 80% coverage. Everything looks like it has an Instagram filter and the cicadas are going nuts.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It peaked at like 98% coverage at my house. Crickets chirped, utility light came on, overall neat but I am glad I stayed home. It definitely wasn't viewable without the glasses. My weather station normally reads about 700-900w/m this time of day, it got down to 10 or so.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Fun little distraction on a Monday afternoon?

Currently outside with about 80% coverage. Everything looks like it has an Instagram filter and the cicadas are going nuts.

Dallas,TX (same general area as STR, though a bit south) here - was a weird twilight, and shadows were strange. Decent-sized crowd on the top floor of our parking garage. My stupid HF auto-darkening helmet wouldn't trigger, so I used my backup pinhole viewer, which worked fine:

Mine is the fan-shaped one (because it started life as a promotional fan) - two different sized holes because I wasn't sure where they would focus. The other one is another person's viewer. This is at maximum for here. Also borrowed a pair of viewing glasses to get a direct look at about 10 'til max.

I think the coolest part there is how the other person is holding their hand while holding the rectangular card is creating another aperture.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It got dark here. Then it got light again.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'll have a blurry phone-cam-through-glasses shot of the eclipse in a few minutes years when my dropbox syncs up.

Apparently in civilized states it got cooler when the shadow passed over? Can't relate, a thunderstorm had passed though about an hour before so it was muggy as hell.

Fake edit:

Aiming and focusing a smartphone with one hand, while simultaneously holding the glasses up to the lens and shading my precious eyes with the other arm, was kind of a pain in the rear end. Lucky-rear end real photographers with their "good cameras" and "real lenses" and "tripods" and "skill" *grumblegrumblegrumble*

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I just saw a total solar eclipse with my own two eyes and it was insane

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Let me say that the difference between 99.9% and totality is night and day. I can see why primitive folk sacrificed virgins and thought their world was ending.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
It got slightly darker, and definitely cooler. But way over hyped.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Let me say that the difference between 99.9% and totality is night and day. I can see why primitive folk sacrificed virgins and thought their world was ending.

Ya, partial would be a bummer. I did not expect the sudden drop in daylight at totality. I dunno if it's a life changing experience, but was really cool.

A friggin 18 wheeler delivery truck pulled up to our warehouse during totality. :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I was so far out of the path of totality here that I just slept. If the world's still around in 7 years I'll go back east and see a totality then.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Gosh a lot of people in here have no soul.
Eclipses, even partial, are cool as heck. About the oldest person-ist thing you can say is 'I don't get it'

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
gently caress all you bitches, 100% totallity was mother loving PIMP.
Also gently caress aluminum fatigue failures, my mtb hates me.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KakerMix posted:

Gosh a lot of people in here have no soul.
Eclipses, even partial, are cool as heck. About the oldest person-ist thing you can say is 'I don't get it'

It was cloudy here so I couldn't see the sun, and it's only about 75% here. So it looked like an overcast winter evening, around midday. So that was certainly cool, but I was a bit underwhelmed. I would have loved to experience totality, but it wasn't in the cards this time. Maybe next time!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My mate just sold an Audi ECU on Ebay... to a guy in Germany.

Coals to Newcastle much?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

I'll have a blurry phone-cam-through-glasses shot of the eclipse in a few minutes years when my dropbox syncs up.

Apparently in civilized states it got cooler when the shadow passed over? Can't relate, a thunderstorm had passed though about an hour before so it was muggy as hell.

Fake edit:

Aiming and focusing a smartphone with one hand, while simultaneously holding the glasses up to the lens and shading my precious eyes with the other arm, was kind of a pain in the rear end. Lucky-rear end real photographers with their "good cameras" and "real lenses" and "tripods" and "skill" *grumblegrumblegrumble*

I couldn't get my phone to focus through the glasses, but, since they weren't my glasses, I didn't fart around with it much. I forgot to mention that it was a perfect sky for it - not a cloud to be seen. Which meant it was hot as all crap, but Texas, so, used to it?
I'm looking forward to 2024, when Dallas is directly in the path of totality. drat straight I'm going to have glasses and filters and poo poo ready this time.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Not sure what % it was here(Sequim, WA), but it looked cool and got pretty dark and cold. Now I get to spend the next couple days hanging out with the inlaws at a house on the beach.

Not a bad spot to work from for a couple days. That is Vancouver Island, BC off in the distance. My cellphone keeps grabbing Canadian cell towers and warning me about roaming.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Just sold the Mazda 3. A little bummed about it but no more car payments except for the Outback and I pocketed a hefty amount above what I owed.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Adiabatic posted:

I just saw a total solar eclipse with my own two eyes and it was insane

Agreed.

Here's a rough compilation of what I shot from my house with the remote IP camera.

Doesn't compare to totality.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Agreed.

Here's a rough compilation of what I shot from my house with the remote IP camera.

Doesn't compare to totality.

What you do get though with partials is wicked looking shadows.

It gets darker, cooler, and you get weird-rear end shadows that are effected by the eclipse. Look at all those crescents!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

My stupid HF auto-darkening helmet wouldn't trigger, so

The sun doesn't flicker. Auto-darkening welding helmets trigger on that flickering light you get from welding, or so I've been told.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/21/solar-eclipse-eye-damage

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

OH gently caress NO MY BEAUTIFUL SIGHT

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

The sun doesn't flicker. Auto-darkening welding helmets trigger on that flickering light you get from welding, or so I've been told.

Mine (Miller digital infinity) definitely triggers on sunlight and if I crank the sensitivity it will trigger on incandescent lights

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That guardian article might be the funniest thing I've ever seen on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ahaha the actual text under the filter owns:

quote:

Hospitals around the country were inundated with people arriving at their emergency departments to see if they had sustained eye damage as a result of watching the eclipse.

Doctors across the country also reported a huge volume of calls requesting information about the possible long term effects of having stared at the eclipse. One doctor told the Guardian: “If you can’t read this piece, then ... ”

(Turn around.) Every now and then I get a little bit lonely. And you’re never coming ’round. (Turn around.) Every now and then I get a little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears. (Turn around.) Every now and then I get a little bit nervous that the best of all the years have gone by. (Turn around.) Every now and then I get a little bit terrified. And then I see the look in your eyes.

(Turn around, bright eyes!) Every now and then I fall apart. (Turn around, bright eyes!) Every now and then I fall apart. (Turn around.) Every now and then I get a little bit restless. And I dream of something wild. (Turn around.)

Every now and then I get a little bit helpless. And I’m lying like a child in your arms (Turn around). Every now and then I get a little bit angry and I know I’ve got to get out and cry (Turn around). Every now and then I get a little bit terrified
But then I see the look in your eyes.

(Turn around, bright eyes!) Every now and then I fall apart.

(Turn around, bright eyes!) Every now and then I fall apart.

And I need you now tonight. And I need you more than ever. And if you only hold me tight. We’ll be holding on forever. And we’ll only be making it right. Cause we’ll never be wrong together.

• Locked thread