Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

You should go out and buy a dedicated Civ PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Roland Jones posted:

There's still an open slot in this, if someone wants to play a game where Domination victory is off (but you'll still probably find up fighting anyway because someone's more cultural than you and that can't stand).

Fuuuuuuck. I'm in.

I don't see how this doesn't end with one person wiping everyone out anyway though.

Tofu Injection fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 18, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tofu Injection posted:

Fuuuuuuck. I'm in.

I don't see how this doesn't end with one person wiping everyone out anyway though.

Probably. We'll see.

Tangent, surprised no one took Saladin or Qin Shi Huang here.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I picked Nubia, then switched to China, then switched to Arabia, then switched to England.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started with Saladin before swapping too, actually; was thinking he'd be perfect for this, but I'm him in a game already (albeit one that's been paused due to the lack of a Mac patch for over three weeks now), so I decided I'd give Japan a try instead.

I hope that patch comes soon, on a tangent. That game left me in an interesting position; first neighbor was Montezuma, so, I'll need to be ready for a fight probably.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I thought about Saladin, too, but I've never played Roosevelt before and America seems pretty versatile/adaptable, so we'll see how it goes.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
With karma getting Rome randomly, that makes four culture-ish and war-ish civs in this game. Fun.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Hey PYDT gang, phoneposting and I cannot log in to the PYDT forums at work. Things are a bit weird here in Barcelona to say the least (everyone I know is safe and sound by the way and people are going on with their lives as they should). I do have relatives staying for the weekend and a partner to stay close to the next few days, so I may not have the time to send my turns until Sunday evening, sorry for the delay.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Ulvino posted:

Hey PYDT gang, phoneposting and I cannot log in to the PYDT forums at work. Things are a bit weird here in Barcelona to say the least (everyone I know is safe and sound by the way and people are going on with their lives as they should). I do have relatives staying for the weekend and a partner to stay close to the next few days, so I may not have the time to send my turns until Sunday evening, sorry for the delay.

I can hardly imagine a better excuse for not playing a game. Hang on there and stay strong!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Jastiger posted:

Culture flips are the best part of civ 4 hands down.

They were annoying and the way that culture was calculated was obfuscated and unnecessarily convoluted. I love Civ4, way more than 5 or 6, but the culture wars were one of the less well thought out parts to it.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ibntumart posted:

That's right, I forgot about the siege engines. Stacks were so magical.

They need to bring back stacks. Managing a giant carpet of traffic jammed units is a chore.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
They really just need to either do a mixture of stacks and 1upt, or allow you to move multiple units at a time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or just go back to the superior way Civ 1 and 2 handled it. :colbert:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
1UPT is very good, the only problem with it is that the AI sucks, but that can be solved by writing better AI.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mymla posted:

1UPT is very good, the only problem with it is that the AI sucks, but that can be solved by writing better AI.

They can't do that.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm sure they can if they just believe in themselves.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Culture flips took so goddamn long that I could have built an army and crushed that city and rebuilt it in the time it took for it to flip. And this is from a culture center city with museums and various wonders and poo poo.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Deltasquid posted:

Because it reduces combat to "whoever can pour the most dudes into a stack faster than the other guy wins" and at that point you might as well have the computer measure your own production against the enemy's production to determine the winner instantly. It was boring in civ IV, it is boring in stellaris now, and just because it's easier to program doesn't mean it's more fun to play with.

This isn't true. Civ4 had a very tactical system of combat that required intelligent maneuvering, positioning, and use of terrain. Against the AI it could be pretty brain dead, but against other humans its''challenging and interesting, which isn't really something that can be said for Civ5 combat.

The biggest flaw of Civ4's combat system is that units attack individually, and throwing 100 units into 100 units just takes too long. If it had a moo2 style of locking units together into army groups, it would make for a much more interesting system of management.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mymla posted:

1upt isn't very good on its own. It needs maps and units specifically designed to work with 1upt. Civ5/6 doesn't have this. Both games have smaller maps, leading to larger traffic jams, and the units simply do not have the speed to move around each other.

Think of other 1upt games. Panzer General had hundreds of hexes just for London, whereas the entirety of England is basically two tiles. Most units in Advance Wars can move 4 tiles at a time. And even then, traffic jams were actually pretty frequent in both games. It isn't like it can't work, but its not an ideal system of gameplay and you need to warp the rest of the game to fit around it, which just doesn't work in civ.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Culture flips took so goddamn long that I could have built an army and crushed that city and rebuilt it in the time it took for it to flip. And this is from a culture center city with museums and various wonders and poo poo.

Its also down to random chance. Each turn you have an x% chance on flipping the tile based on your cultural influence on that tile vs. your opponents. So each turn you're basically rolling a D10 and hoping that it actually comes up with the number you want (best case scenario) or the other guy jams a bunch of units into the city to prevent flipping.

The whole scenario is dumb anyway, because realistically if you lost your city to culture flip, you would just declare war to take it back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

1upt isn't very good on its own. It needs maps and units specifically designed to work with 1upt. Civ5/6 doesn't have this. Both games have smaller maps, leading to larger traffic jams, and the units simply do not have the speed to move around each other.

Think of other 1upt games. Panzer General had hundreds of hexes just for London, whereas the entirety of England is basically two tiles. Most units in Advance Wars can move 4 tiles at a time. And even then, traffic jams were actually pretty frequent in both games. It isn't like it can't work, but its not an ideal system of gameplay and you need to warp the rest of the game to fit around it, which just doesn't work in civ.

This is what I'm getting at when I say that battles that don't always end with a unit destroyed doesn't work in Civ. It's because of the way the map and movement works. If units aren't constantly being destroyed, doomstacks and doomcarpets really are pretty much your only options, especially as long as higher difficulty levels mostly mean AIs get lots more units.

e: combining dozens of units into one in intricate ways depending on unit types and promotions would work, but is very :spergin: and thus would be super amazingly fun for 5% of players and somewhere between tedious and torturous for the other 95%.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 19, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Corps/armies is enough stacking for me tbh.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 19, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mymla posted:

Corpse/armies is enough stacking for me tbh.

It's a shame you only get access to those very late in the game though

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gort posted:

It's a shame you only get access to those very late in the game though
Scythia would be hilariously powerful if you could get to Military Corps early on.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is what I'm getting at when I say that battles that don't always end with a unit destroyed doesn't work in Civ. It's because of the way the map and movement works. If units aren't constantly being destroyed, doomstacks and doomcarpets really are pretty much your only options, especially as long as higher difficulty levels mostly mean AIs get lots more units.

Sadly, I think you're right. As much as I'd hate units to die immediately, it make a sense on a game of this scale and map size.

There are other ways to do it, but this is definitely the least complicated.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Borsche69 posted:

The whole scenario is dumb anyway, because realistically if you lost your city to culture flip, you would just declare war to take it back.

I don't want to declare war on an AI to take that 1 person city they've plonked on the edge of my continent and they won't take it off me if it does culture flip. It's useful for that, pretty borders are important to me.

In fact that's something I seriously miss from 4 that 5/6 don't seem to have managed. So often even at endgame there's huge tracts of unclaimed land and it looks kinda ugly. I like when it becomes a "proper" country.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: combining dozens of units into one in intricate ways depending on unit types and promotions would work, but is very :spergin: and thus would be super amazingly fun for 5% of players and somewhere between tedious and torturous for the other 95%.
Of the 5% of autists who would give a poo poo, maybe half would just do the Most Optimal Strat and the other half would flip out about how lame it was, so ehhh

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Taear posted:

In fact that's something I seriously miss from 4 that 5/6 don't seem to have managed. So often even at endgame there's huge tracts of unclaimed land and it looks kinda ugly. I like when it becomes a "proper" country.

It annoyed me to no end when it'd be like 1950 and the world looked like one of those maps showing ISIS's territorial holdings in Syria

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Jesus christ how long does it take to get a loving Mac patch out

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Gort posted:

They can't do that.

They can. Problem is their audience doesn't care about that. Go to the Civ boards or the reddit sub and see what they care about. It's graphics and different civs. AI is rarely broached.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm not sure if someone being able to do something but never ever doing it is usefully different from them not being able to do it at all.

We know there have been Civ games the AI is good at, and ones the AI is bad at. The ones the AI is bad at have 1 UPT. The one the AI is good at does not.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gort posted:

I'm not sure if someone being able to do something but never ever doing it is usefully different from them not being able to do it at all.

We know there have been Civ games the AI is good at, and ones the AI is bad at. The ones the AI is bad at have 1 UPT. The one the AI is good at does not.

Yeah but that particular correlation doesn't imply causation, I don't think. I think Civ V was where they switched to 1UPT, and Civ V is also where Firaxis decided that graphics and civs return more short term sales per dollar spent than gameplay nuts and bolts and invested resources accordingly, but those are probably two separate things that happened to occur at the same time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah but that particular correlation doesn't imply causation, I don't think. I think Civ V was where they switched to 1UPT, and Civ V is also where Firaxis decided that graphics and civs return more short term sales per dollar spent than gameplay nuts and bolts and invested resources accordingly, but those are probably two separate things that happened to occur at the same time.

I don't think Civ 5 was the result of a cynical "gently caress the gameplay, go for graphics" play, it was just five years newer than Civ 4 so the graphics were better, and the team they had working on it wasn't as good at game design.

Credit where credit's due, though, it's a much friendlier and more accessible game than 4 is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Civ V FEELS incredibly silly smooth to play. It's just that after a while disappointment sets in as I remember that there's really no point to it, because there is no meaningful diplomacy at all.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gort posted:

I don't think Civ 5 was the result of a cynical "gently caress the gameplay, go for graphics" play, it was just five years newer than Civ 4 so the graphics were better, and the team they had working on it wasn't as good at game design.
Also the fact that they hired a guy who was barely old enough to drink to be the Lead Designer on the game because I HAVE IDEAS

Eric the Mauve posted:

Civ V FEELS incredibly silly smooth to play. It's just that after a while disappointment sets in as I remember that there's really no point to it, because there is no meaningful diplomacy at all.
It feels so smooth to play because it looks absolutely gorgeous and it's relatively simplistic look is really easy on the eyes.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 21, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

what was the project timeline on V anyway? i've gotten the impression that it was made pretty quickly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i mean, it came out in fall 2010 and bts was already out in 2007, so they must've had a fair amount of dedicated dev time for it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

They can. Problem is their audience doesn't care about that. Go to the Civ boards or the reddit sub and see what they care about. It's graphics and different civs. AI is rarely broached.
Part of that problem is there's too many people who are convinced that they can totally fix the AI with mods alone.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

Also the fact that they hired a guy who was barely old enough to drink to be the Lead Designer on the game because I HAVE IDEAS
I'm sorry that he is more professionally successful in his twenties than you will probably be in your entire life but the latest games are let down more by the AI team (whose leader is in his fifties and literally walked off in the AI only showcase of Civ VI because his ineptitude was on show - Sad!) than design failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

jBrereton posted:

I'm sorry that he is more professionally successful in his twenties than you will probably be in your entire life but the latest games are let down more by the AI team (whose leader is in his fifties and literally walked off in the AI only showcase of Civ VI because his ineptitude was on show - Sad!) than design failures.

Uh no that guy took a franchise that was working and wrecked it on the rocks for a decade, Jon Shafer is a legit failure that made strategy games shittier for the people alive on this planet through his incompetence, please don't try to pretend otherwise

he also failed in his own kickstarted project after taking other people's money and that still hasn't seen the light of day