Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Mutilator got reduced by 15ppm, oblits got their guns doubled (assault 2 to assault 4) for no cost. Possessed got twice the wounds (wound 1 to wound 2) for no cost. Chaos bikers got a 6ppm savings.

Lots of help for units that were meh before.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised with how Possessed work out now (played a couple games with them so far), and I'm planning to run Obliterators again. Mutilators are a different beast though, because those models are ugly as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question about Detachments - I can create a brigade/patrol/whatever as long as the faction keyword is shared, correct? So i could make an offico assassinorum/adetus custodes/sisters of silence/astra telepathica/Questor Imerialis list as long as I just use the Imperium keyword to build toward the detachment, right?

!Klams posted:

How am I supposed to play skitarii? I have two unites each of rangers and vanguard, Cawl, a techpriest and two onagers. Every game so far has basically just been me shooting at the biggest thing with all my plasma and characters with my snipers until melee happens and all my stuff is uber toast?

How are you running your Dunecrawlers? Neutron Lasers are really good, and if you take the additional stubbers, you'll pump out 12 shots with them per turn. They don't do a lot, but they can shave off a wound or two when you need it.

I haven't really had much luck with the Rangers/Vanguard. I use Kataphron Destroyers instead, because they can pour out a ton of fire. Also, as expensive as they are you might want to pick up a box of Kastelan Robots.

Aside from that, the only advice I can give you is run your guys in a block formation. You're never going to control the board because you can't move very fast. Stick Cawl in the center and let him give those re-rolls to everyone, and just try to blow your opponent off the table.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question about Detachments - I can create a brigade/patrol/whatever as long as the faction keyword is shared, correct? So i could make an offico assassinorum/adetus custodes/sisters of silence/astra telepathica/Questor Imerialis list as long as I just use the Imperium keyword to build toward the detachment, right?

Yeah, though doing that will lock you out of stratagems once they get added unless you're running a detachment of each of whatever.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Do you all think putting a TH/SS Terminator Squad, Terminator Captain and Librarian Dreadnought all together in a Stormraven is putting too many eggs in one basket? It would definitely be effective to drop all of that on something but thats almost 1000 points including the Stormraven

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries, guys. I’m glad I’m not the only one who has these issues with Tyranids, and it seems like I’m right with a few of my assessments.

My buddy was actually pretty apologetic after he saw the amount of damage his predators did. He thinks the codexes give so many powerful options that the Index-armies are suddenly lagging far behind. Here’s hoping for a new codex, then, with some nice things that will bolster our anti-tank/flyer options and stratagems and the like that let us survive Turn 1 shooting (Spore cloud -> night fight rules for 2CP, something like that).

It’s also funny how I at first thought vehicles and monstrous creatures where now very survivable, because I was only looking at them with tyranid weaponry in mind, only to now switch gears and think they’re now mainly a big target and liability. Too bad that I bought, built and painted two Exocrines before I had that epiphany.

For my next game, I’ll proxy a couple things to field the following:

2 Broodlords
2 Malanthropes
3x 20 Genestealers
2x 25 Termagants, each with 9 Fleshborers and 16 Devourers
20 Hormagaunts
2x3 Hive Guard

That gives me 4 Synapse creatures, all characters that I can hide; 12 CP; 130+ bodies on the table; Termagant shooting to hopefully take down some of the chaff before I send in my ‘stealers; and 6 Hive Guard who will most likely deploy completely out of LOS with a Malanthrope to cripple (unlikely to destroy) a flyer or tank per round, or shoot stuff that’s blocking charge lanes. I’m hoping this will fare better, but I’m so not looking forward to deploying all that poo poo.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pendent posted:

Do you all think putting a TH/SS Terminator Squad, Terminator Captain and Librarian Dreadnought all together in a Stormraven is putting too many eggs in one basket? It would definitely be effective to drop all of that on something but thats almost 1000 points including the Stormraven

Ive been hemming and hawing over how to set up my Stormraven passengers, too. So far I have come up with three options (I'm playing Carcharadons but if you aren't just replace Tyberos with any Terminator Captain):

A) Tyberos, 5 Assault Terminators (probably 3 LC 2TH/SS)
B) Tyberos, 3 Assault Centurions, Apothecary
C) Tyberos, 5 foot Vanguard/Company Vets (whatever loadout you want), 2 Honor Guard, Apothecary, Company Champion, Lieutenant

C is the most attacks and most protection for the Characters, but has zero shooting and is all power armor. B will destroy anything it charges and can pop a few tanks before it does, and the apothecary bringing back centurions is dirty, but it better be in a good position afterwards because it's slow as balls. A seems to be the worst of both worlds, to me.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I am definitely feeling the lack of codex even with my guard. They hold up well mostly due to tempestus and normal infantry being good on their own. But lacking strategems & warlord traits hurts.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Does the pdf version of the codexes receive an update when they release errata? I'm stuck between getting either the physical or e-book version when the Death Guard one comes out.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

While just about perfect, how quickly will I be told to get out if I brought these to a GW store, both for games and for events like armies on parade?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Geoff Zahn posted:

Does the pdf version of the codexes receive an update when they release errata? I'm stuck between getting either the physical or e-book version when the Death Guard one comes out.

Ibooks yes pdf no I think.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sykic posted:

While just about perfect, how quickly will I be told to get out if I brought these to a GW store, both for games and for events like armies on parade?

It's up to the individual manager. I've found they're more lenient with custom parts, less so with entire models. For stuff like armies on parade it probably just won't be allowed, because they have to take photos and send them to corporate.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sykic posted:

Mine said non-GW models wouldn't be cool at official events, which makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why FW customer service had to be told they even exist.

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.
Can anyone help me with an ID? The new Grey Knights codex allows for terminator chaplains. They show this conversion:

I want to steal this idea, but I can't figure out what kits they're using.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
It looks like the limited edition chaplain (https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/51hm5o/a_new_terminator_chaplain_leak_limited_edition/) with new shoulder pads.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Megaspam posted:

Can anyone help me with an ID? The new Grey Knights codex allows for terminator chaplains. They show this conversion:

Good luck

http://all4wargames.com/product/space-marine-terminator-chaplain-collectors-edition-limited/

EDIT: efb;

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Megaspam posted:

GreenMarine nailed it. you can pick that dude up on eBay for around 30.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Megaspam posted:

It looks like the plastic terminator chaplain they put out a while back for limited store events or whatever. It is not widely available. Yet. :v:

Other than that, it's probably just a couple of Grey Knight shoulder pads.

EFB

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zuul the Cat posted:

GreenMarine nailed it. you can pick that dude up on eBay for around 30.

They're like $100 on ebay now. Though, you can get this happy little fellow for $6:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-4...hUAAOSwYIxX5A-B

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're like $100 on ebay now.
What a bummer. Guess I'm converting from the GK terminator kit. Thanks everyone.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Don't have the CSM book yet, so quick question:

Can you make a biker chaos lord/sorcerer? I ask mostly because I have a kickass model that a friend kitbashed/sculpted for me, and it's always been a bit of an army centerpiece.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Megaspam posted:

The official one is goddamn incredible, how can you pass it up? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marine-Terminator-Chaplain

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That current terminator chaplain is one of the best marine models ever. The limited edition one looks like a skullapalooza entry

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
There's always :china:...just sayin'

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

Don't have the CSM book yet, so quick question:

Can you make a biker chaos lord/sorcerer? I ask mostly because I have a kickass model that a friend kitbashed/sculpted for me, and it's always been a bit of an army centerpiece.
You can, but you have to use the unit entry from the index. Same with the various god-specific mounts like juggernauts or discs of Tzeentch. They're still valid, just aren't in the codex.

TTerrible posted:

That current terminator chaplain is one of the best marine models ever. The limited edition one looks like a skullapalooza entry
My Skullapalooza Chaplain was much more tasteful. :colbert:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
He was a beautiful boi

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're like $100 on ebay now. Though, you can get this happy little fellow for $6:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-4...hUAAOSwYIxX5A-B

Maybe i was looking at the wrong model. Edit: Ah, the one I was looking at was coming from Russia.

But for $6, that's a steal!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I just realized how good a chaplain would be with my assault terminators and don't actually own one. I would totally pick up one of the new primaris chaplains if they had literally any delivery mechanism that would let me use it.

I can't help but feel the Primaris stuff is just too disconnected from the rest of the range. It sucks when you want to use one but can't.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Anyone got Imperial guard artillery or a Vendetta for sale or trade. Looking for manticores, basiliks and wyverns.

Don't have models to trade, but I do have a complete MTG Titan beach combo deck.

Also chaos or sm landraider hatches

Agentdark fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 21, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pendent posted:

I just realized how good a chaplain would be with my assault terminators and don't actually own one. I would totally pick up one of the new primaris chaplains if they had literally any delivery mechanism that would let me use it.

I can't help but feel the Primaris stuff is just too disconnected from the rest of the range. It sucks when you want to use one but can't.

I'm going to run two squads of biglies as normal tac squads. As long as you don't mix the two I'd be surprised if anyone gives you poo poo for running biglies as squat Marines.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm going to run two squads of biglies as normal tac squads. As long as you don't mix the two I'd be surprised if anyone gives you poo poo for running biglies as squat Marines.

Same base size, WYSIWYG, who cares? Across the table I bet half the people you play couldn't even tell the difference.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Pendent posted:

Buy the $6 second edition one, clean him up/give him new arms, and become a forums hero.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

If I'm just going to use it as a proxy I may as well pick up the actual terminator chaplain model though, since it's like half the price and I like the model better overall anyways.

The more I play with them the more mixed my feeling about the Primaris stuff gets. The models are for the most part excellent, but the rules are a lot less inspiring.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Buy the $6 second edition one, clean him up/give him new arms, and become a forums hero.

That would take some actual talent at this stuff though, which I am sorely lacking. I've never actually worked with metal miniatures at all, for instance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chutche2 posted:

Have you guys never heard of "rods from god"? These are rods dropped from orbital velocity that are going 8 km/s when they hit the ground. Do you think those slow to terminal velocity?

That would kill them. They're obviously using the jump packs to decelerate as they land.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

so assuming these nerds dont somehow burn up in atmosphere, and theyre going like 17k mph so they dont get shot down by aa systems, please explain how a couple shock absorbers strapped to their feet will keep them from making inceptor shaped craters around the battlefield

Lmao

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thinking of starting a second army of Dark Eldar. Please post your cool pics for inspiration TIA

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deified Data posted:

Thinking of starting a second army of Dark Eldar. Please post your cool pics for inspiration TIA

E: this post would be funnier if the image was huge

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Attestant posted:

Oh man, where is this from? Some kind of Starcraft conversion?

The model is from Hydracast. http://hydracast.blogspot.co.nz/
They also have a pretty sweet knockoff deathleaper.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Old to new Mandrakes is such a dramatic step up in model quality

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Deified Data posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Corrode posted:

Old to new Mandrakes is such a dramatic step up in model quality

It's so cool that, in 8th, they're now good enough to field, because those models are amazing.