Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is this the game I should be buying on Steam in nine days if I spent exactly the entirety of my childhood playing and replaying Sonics 1 through Knuckles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ZearothK posted:

Is this the game I should be buying on Steam in nine days if I spent exactly the entirety of my childhood playing and replaying Sonics 1 through Knuckles?

Yeah, if you loved Genesis Sonic you'll love it a lot and be real happy.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Here's what I'm thinking I'd like to see them change/add/shake up in a Sonic Mania sequel:

- A fourth playable character with their own movement options. We all know how to play Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles by now, and it'd give Whitehead and co. the experience they need to balance levels for more characters than the three we've gotten used to these past 20+ years. It doesn't have to be a NEW one, it can be someone like Metal or whatnot.

Amy Rose? Blaze the Cat? Cream the Rabbit? You don't need a dong to go fast.

Sockser posted:

I wish the mean bean machine unlock was just all of regular mean bean machine

It's just not hard enough to be fun

That would cannibalize Puyo Puyo Tetris a bit too much.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Everyone being all curmudgeon-y and immediately being afraid of the thought of more characters makes me :lol:

Sonic Megamix (which had its development led by Stealth/Headcannon) had a cool set of move sets split across Sonic, Mighty, and Shadow.

Sonic has super peel-out and can light dash through ring trails

Mighty has the shield abilities from Sonic 3 and can store shields and swap them at will

Shadow has a double jump and can spend 5 rings for an instant speed boost

Also Sonic and Shadow have the homing attack and light speed attack

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The homing attack sucks

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shadow sucks.

His one positive trait is that he isn't Silver.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh I would prefer to keep the character count down, but only so they can keep doing stuff like sonic/knuckles level differences without having to pare it down or ballooning the amount of work to do.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Yeah it's really loving good, I've not played too much Sonic since I was 10 and it's made me remember how great those games were, luckily I got them all in a Humble Bundle years ago so I'm going to reinstall next weekend and play them all I think.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I feel if you mess with the 2D sonic formula too much it'll turn into Freedom Planet. Not that FP is a bad game, but it's not really a Sonic game.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

corn in the bible posted:

The homing attack sucks

You suck.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ZearothK posted:

you need this game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Megamix's homing attack was fun to abuse for quick speed, but the drop dash is a better way of doing that in a non-busted way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

The homing attack sucks

Eh, it's a necessary evil in the 3D games as the conventional method is kind of awkward there. There's no reason to put it in a 2D game though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The drop dash is the greatest addition to this game and it compliments the level design so well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sockser posted:

I wish the mean bean machine unlock was just all of regular mean bean machine

It's just not hard enough to be fun

Puyo Puyo Tetris is available for both Switch and PS4 and is well worth the purchase

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Fun fact: the homing attack didn't debut in Sonic Adventure like most people think. It was in 3D Blast first and was gained when you got a gold shield so you could say that was the 4th elemental shield

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

ZearothK posted:

loving Christ yes it is

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Ceramics posted:

This is my first 2d sonic and I think I'm pretty bad, gotten at least half a dozen game overs in chemical zone haha.

Games gorgeous though and the soundtrack is amazing.

I'm also having fun despite feeling really rusty. The moving underwater blocks killed me a bunch on chemical zone so don't feel too bad.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I need more than 3 lives but I suck and can't keep my rings long enough.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Motto posted:

Megamix's homing attack was fun to abuse for quick speed, but the drop dash is a better way of doing that in a non-busted way.

The combination of the homing attack and light dash in Megamix makes for some awesome speedgaming in many of the levels.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I love the Drop Dash and miss it when I'm playing as Tails or Knuckles.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
How do you do the thing when Playing as Sonic + Tails where you grab onto Tails and fly?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

How do you do the thing when Playing as Sonic + Tails where you grab onto Tails and fly?

http://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/mania/manual/en/index.html?pid=5

Buddy flight

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

elf help book posted:

With the two of them standing at the same point, hold up on the d-pad and tap A repeatedly. This should start Tails flying just as Sonic passes by him in the air. At that point you will be in control of Tails.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Thanks

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I've always thought of the traditional Sonic crew as just being Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, but if they had to add another character, I'd like to see them do a couple things, namely allow us to play as any combination of characters even if such a distinction is largely cosmetic - and also I'd like to keep the character count around or below 5, because anything beyond that and you'll have serious issues balancing routes, I feel.

I really liked being able to play Sonic and Knuckles together in Mania; it'd be nice if you could do the reverse or have Sonic be the backup character at all. Or give me the only non-Big Three character I liked, Blaze the Cat, and change her mechanically however much you need to in order to justify having a fourth friend. Whatever.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I like this how to play sonic flowchart

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

oh no

I 100% my switch and ps4 saves with all 3 characters each

it's slowly sinking in that I have nothing left to really do

someone help me

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

oh no

someone help me

You can 100% it with sonic alone?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The buddy flight is super janky for me, sometimes it just doesn't work. Yeah I'm sure sonic and tails are standing in the same place, a lot of the time it just doesn't seem to register and tails goes flying up whilst sonic falls back down.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The special stages are really fun once you get them down. GOT THEM ALL already by Studiopolis Act 1 on my Knuckles run.

I hope they add a way to transform back to your normal form when super. Sonic 3 Complete handles it perfectly.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 21, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

oh no

someone help me

do all emeralds runs with Sonic and Knuckles, then Tails and Knuckles, and most importantly Knuckles and Knuckles

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Really wish you could use Knuckles & Tails...imagine gliding away right after a buddy flight

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Imagine hugging Tails

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

elf help book posted:

Imagine hugging Tails

Imagine hugging Tails Doll

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Tails' crouch pose is adorable.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The first thing that popped out of the Metallic Madness 2 was Amy Doll so I thought sonic, tails and knux dolls were going to pop out too. What we got was great though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

elf help book posted:

Imagine hugging Tails

Foxes will claw your eyes out

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Tails wouldn't harm a fly. Unless it was a robot fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is available for both Switch and PS4 and is well worth the purchase

These are not remotely the same thing and you drat well know it

I'm just gonna go pop MBM in my genesis and have a day of tying to clear Robotnik