Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

AA is for Quitters posted:

Talking about artistic shots of food, here's another try for me:

This is just want food used to look like before we invented color. I'm sure our grandparents would find this nostalgic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
let's try this again, photography wise.

fajitaritos. (pretty much fajitas with rice added).

Probably the best cheap meal i can think of since it feeds like 9, and costs about $10 to make. so $10 to have a week's worth of leftovers that go really good with other things,

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

I do understand the criticism of my post.
I also acknowledge that they are well done photos of good food.
I've expressly said I'm not criticizing that particular post; but rather that it is a good representation of the "I am a good chef because of this crisp photo of mac and cheese" photo style that has become so common.
A good camera and lighting can make up for what poor ingredients and a poor cook cannot, and I'm tired of seeing it and I'm sorry my words did not convey that.

I get what you mean. It makes me think a lot of an article like this http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/food-styling-tips-for-home-cooks.html where its very easy for the picture to start getting really silly with all the add ons to the side.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dolicf posted:

That's exactly correct according to the book. Pressure cookers get to 245-250F, so you can get much more caramelization without losing the water.

I make tomato sauce a lot, own a pressure cooker and a first edition of modernist cuisine. The pressure cooked tomato sauce recipe I tried didn't have nearly the depth of flavor of the more traditional preparation I use. If you want it waterier you could always add water at the end.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Continuing with my :toxx: of cooking six meal a week...

It did not plate the way it did in my head, which would have been a nice nest of onions and peppers on a bed of farfalle with the sausage slices lying on top and a trickle of sauce around the edges and over the top.

...yeah. Did get me a great imgur comment of gordon ramsey calling e a donkey though.

tasted good. made a bacon and jalapeno tomato sauce that is really really good.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Homemade pizza off a pizza stone at 525 degrees

Home made dough, a local grocer makes fresh moz, criminis, a really nice cured salami, and some spinach.

I used a canned sauce as a base but added a poo poo ton of minced garlic, dried red chilis and a splash of wine.

It's the heat from the dried chilis that really makes it.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
That's a good looking pizza.

I've been playing around with fluid gels recently and wanted to give one a try in a dish.

Pork, arugula/red onion/thyme salad, bitter orange fluid gel:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Eifert Posting posted:

Homemade pizza off a pizza stone at 525 degrees

Home made dough, a local grocer makes fresh moz, criminis, a really nice cured salami, and some spinach.

I used a canned sauce as a base but added a poo poo ton of minced garlic, dried red chilis and a splash of wine.

It's the heat from the dried chilis that really makes it.

Looks great!

Home-drying chillis is easy and great and gets you awesome results. I have a Trinidad scorpion chocolate chilli bush and the dried chilli flakes I make from it are pure nightmare/heaven depending on how much you like 1.2-2 million Scoville heat units in your food...

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
My husband and I tried to eat way too many steamed crabs on Saturday night and didn't finish, so I made seafood stock and then this crab bisque yesterday.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Blackened catfish, black cargo rice, asparagus in a browned butter soy sauce & black vinegar reduction, and grated horseradish in balsamic vinegar.

(For the eclipse.)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MsJoelBoxer posted:

My husband and I tried to eat way too many steamed crabs on Saturday night and didn't finish, so I made seafood stock and then this crab bisque yesterday.

That is the only acceptable excuse for not eating every crab set down in front of you. Looks absolutely delicious!

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I grilled a spatchcocked chicken after rubbing with oil, parsley, and garlic.

Then I served it with oven roasted potatoes and a simple salad.

It was goddamn delicious. And I made chicken stock with the scraps.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Nice crust on the roasted potatoes, how did you get them browned like that?

Chicken looks great too.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nice crust on the roasted potatoes, how did you get them browned like that?

Chicken looks great too.

Thanks! I used the technique, if not the whole actual recipe, from the Food Lab. Essentially, par-boil in water with baking soda and salt, drain and add oil that's been infused with garlic and rosemary, roast at a high temp (450) and flip once. This time I used a glass roasting pan instead of metal, which gave a slightly different surface, not quite as crisp. Still really good.

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

That is the only acceptable excuse for not eating every crab set down in front of you. Looks absolutely delicious!

Thank you very much! I was really happy with how it came out.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Carnitas style mushroom tacos, baby zucchini

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Good to see that we're moving away from plates at home too now.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I eat french fries out of a sock at home. :colbert:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Not gonna lie, I ate nachos out of a toaster tray for breakfast this morning.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Why dirty dishes if you don't have to?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not gonna lie, I ate nachos out of a toaster tray for breakfast this morning.

Do you mean the tray that you pull out the bottom of your toaster with all the old crumbs in it because you're a sick loving guy u know that

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Do you mean the tray that you pull out the bottom of your toaster with all the old crumbs in it because you're a sick loving guy u know that
he probably means the tray at the bottom lined with foil

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah he probably meant toaster oven tray

Pizza! 550° on a steel

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Even though we're still unpacking from our move, it's always a good time for some Korean fried chicken:

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

BrianBoitano posted:

Pizza! 550° on a steel

sweet jesus

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Pizza! 550° on a steel

Looks incredible!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I am not a great cook nor photographer, but hey :justpost:

Spaghetti Carbonara

Lamb chop pan fried in rosemary and garlic butter, with fondant potatoes and blistered beans

Spinach-stuffed meatloaf

Poached egg with thick cut bacon

Lasange

A quick Pav

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Them's some fine rear end dinners man.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oooooooooo meatloaf :swoon:

I should get one of those meatloaf pans myself.

vv Yes, but I don't bake bread, so they're meatloaf pans to me :colbert:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 25, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pollyanna posted:

oooooooooo meatloaf :swoon:

I should get one of those meatloaf pans myself.

They're...they're just loaf pans. You know, for baking loaves of bread?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

my lasaga!

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

I made this Korean honey butter fried chicken today and it was super crispy and delicious.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BrianBoitano posted:

Yes, that one. But now I feel as if I have been presented a culinary challenge.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Today I learned that pink potatoes exist.

Steak, smashed potatoes, red wine sauce:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Late summer calls for gazpacho:

And something new to me: lamb ribs! I had them recently at an Uzbek restaurant and came home totally jazzed to grill some myself. They are without a doubt the best thing ever.

Served with tzatziki, pita, and tomato salad:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Late summer calls for gazpacho:

And something new to me: lamb ribs! I had them recently at an Uzbek restaurant and came home totally jazzed to grill some myself. They are without a doubt the best thing ever.

Served with tzatziki, pita, and tomato salad:

gently caress I"ve never even seen those. Where did you find lamb ribs?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Lamb ribs sound like a really good idea.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

gently caress I"ve never even seen those. Where did you find lamb ribs?

For lamb ribs, you've got two options that I can think of. Either shop somewhere that serves a lamb-eating population: I bought mine at a Russian supermarket, but I bet that a halal butcher would be able to hook you up as well. Costco sells whole, cut-up lambs. I've never bought one (just stared longingly), but I think that includes lamb breast, which is basically a rib cut.

The other idea would be to go straight to the supplier. A year ago, I bought a lamb from a farmer; I gave her instructions for how I wanted it to be butchered.

Either way, lamb ribs are awesome. I can't wait to go home tonight and finish the leftovers as I drink beer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Dachshund posted:

For lamb ribs, you've got two options that I can think of. Either shop somewhere that serves a lamb-eating population: I bought mine at a Russian supermarket, but I bet that a halal butcher would be able to hook you up as well. Costco sells whole, cut-up lambs. I've never bought one (just stared longingly), but I think that includes lamb breast, which is basically a rib cut.

The other idea would be to go straight to the supplier. A year ago, I bought a lamb from a farmer; I gave her instructions for how I wanted it to be butchered.

Either way, lamb ribs are awesome. I can't wait to go home tonight and finish the leftovers as I drink beer.

How did you prepare them? That picture of them makes gives me feelings that food probably shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I just got some lamb ribs myself and am trying to decide how to prepare them. Chef John has a root beer/sesame recipe that seems interesting.