Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fart City posted:

Is he... is he pointing out the sun?

The loving sun?

Hey guys over there, the heaven bulb is flickering! :haw:

I keep hitting those page snipes.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm just wondering how many dipshit Trumpkins followed his example and looked up into the sun, too.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

He's purposefully trying to get the guy to lead him back, explanation by explanation, step by step, until he gets to something science can't explain - basic root-of-everything stuff like "why do the fundamental forces interact like they do", and trying to demonstrate that, eventually, you have to have "faith" in something that isn't provable per se.

He doesn't go on long enough to make that point, but it's really clear what he's going for, he just fumbles the attempt.
Hm, ok.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

slinkimalinki posted:

That's not even remotely true and if you call me a man you're getting loving punched.

That's....uh...not warranted.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm just wondering how many dipshit Trumpkins followed his example and looked up into the sun, too.
MAGA! Only the most tremendous of us looked at this once in a life time event and guess what: no blindness! We can see just beautifully!
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/2017/08/what_happens_to_your_eyes_if_you_look_directly_at_the_sun_during_a_solar

quote:

According to Chou, symptoms generally begin occurring 12 hours after viewing the eclipse, when people wake up in the morning and notice their vision has been altered.

“They can’t see faces in the mirror, they can’t read the newspaper or the smartphone display, they’re having trouble looking at road signs, and basically they’ve got this center spot in their vision that is intensely blurred,” Chou said.

There are no remedies to effectively mitigate the injury, said Chou, aside from waiting and seeing if the patient regains vision. This does happen, but not until at least three months after the injury.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not enough.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

More than one.

A one followed by a hilarious number of zeros.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe the real sun was in our hearts all along.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Maybe the real sun was in our hearts all along.

Solaire was with us the whole time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Can someone explain to me why Secret Service had to pay 35,000 so far for golf carts at Trump properties?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

That's not even remotely true and if you call me a man you're getting loving punched.

Chill the gently caress out, man.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hey guys over there, the heaven bulb is flickering! :haw:

I keep hitting those page snipes.

:golfclap:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Can someone explain to me why Secret Service had to pay 35,000 for golf carts at Trump properties?

Maximum grift.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BadOptics posted:

"Man" is only gender neutral if you're referring to the entire species and its use in that fashion is on the way out.

the english language previously assumed all persons of unknown gender (either because you don't know or because it's a generic person) was male but that is on its way out as well in favor of being replaced with "they" as a singular gender-neutral pronoun (given that "it" is also somewhat offensive!) or just tinkering with the wording to avoid using pronouns that imply gender in the first place

but of course when you actually know the gender of the person, then you just use the correct singular pronoun

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Cheesus posted:

MAGA! Only the most tremendous of us looked at this once in a life time event and guess what: no blindness! We can see just beautifully!
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/2017/08/what_happens_to_your_eyes_if_you_look_directly_at_the_sun_during_a_solar

God, I can only hope.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Go back to he and heo IMO.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

seiferguy posted:

Staring at the sun for 1 to 2 seconds won't blind you, and that happens inadvertently once in awhile. 5 seconds is probably still ok, once you get into the 10 second category is when you're really hosed.
I love the implication that there's a bunch of people in this thread who presumably never go outside and never see the sky and never see the sun with their own eyes.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Not trying to be all "well actually" since I believe you should give people the pronouns they want and not be a dick, but the word "man" meant "person" long before it meant "male", hence the words "wereman" and "wifman" to distinguish the genders.

Again, just saying this for the sake of :eng101:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

There Bias Two posted:

That's....uh...not warranted.

Nah it's warranted. Telling people to sit the gently caress down because "guys" and "man" are gender neutral is lovely. They aren't. It's an example of our language being sexist and should be changed.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

I love the implication that there's a bunch of people in this thread who presumably never go outside and never see the sky and never see the sun with their own eyes.

Give us our political chat... precioussss

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Not trying to be all "well actually" since I believe you should give people the pronouns they want and not be a dick, but the word "man" meant "person" long before it meant "male", hence the words "wereman" and "wifman" to distinguish the genders.

the grammatical problems with using gendered pronouns in english arise precisely because you don't know what pronoun they want (which makes this discussion, given where it started, entirely academic because we do know what pronoun was correct for the woman murdered in charlottesville)

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Nah it's warranted. Telling people to sit the gently caress down because "guys" and "man" are gender neutral is lovely. They aren't. It's an example of our language being sexist and should be changed.

Personally I would be all for gendered pronouns being removed from English entirely. There are languages without gendered pronouns that work perfectly fine.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

That's why everyone should just say y'all, it's a very useful and gender neutral word.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cingulate posted:

You say that as if there were any doubt

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/899709604963266560

(This is approximately the moment he bade his followers to go by his example.)

"You watch the skies, I got the ground"

Hitler smiles from the clouds

E.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 21, 2017

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Tir McDohl posted:

Personally I would be all for gendered pronouns being removed from English entirely. There are languages without gendered pronouns that work perfectly fine.

i'll let the language kings know and they'll fix it tomorrow

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Can someone explain to me why Secret Service had to pay 35,000 so far for golf carts at Trump properties?

Someone explained to him it would only be common sense to comp the people sworn to give their lives to protect him, and he stared at the speaker with the blank incomprehension of a dog being shown a card trick.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tir McDohl posted:

Yeah because they move all the gender to the other words and do we really want to emulate spanish in this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I looked at the eclipse a few times and didn't go blind AMA. Less than a second each time tho, it still hurt.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mango sentinel posted:

english is evolving to eliminate the male bias, fortunately, it already sounds archaic in some uses

the problem with "guys" is that english does not actually contain a second person plural that doesn't require a gender (i.e. you have to use you guys or you girls) unless you use "yall" which is unlikely to enter into mainstream usage considering that using it is basically considered a declaration you are from the deep south which, given the regional biases present in the united states, is unlikely to catch on elsewhere

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Critical posted:

Chill the gently caress out, man.

*punches u*

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I agree, dude

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I would just like to say that it is insane that there is a chance the President has vision problems tomorrow because he looked at the sun.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah because they move all the gender to the other words and do we really want to emulate spanish in this

the fact that english doesn't decide if literally every object in existence has a penis or not is one of its strongest points imo

"does this chair look male to you? how about the bookcase?"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
You know what is just the worst? People trying to encourage me to use different pronouns.

I have to fight this as hard as possible for some reason.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Bro" is a gender neutral pronoun and no one can tell me differently.

If someone is your bro then they are your bro, regardless of sex, gender, or whatever.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I would just like to say that it is insane that there is a chance the President has vision problems tomorrow because he looked at the sun.

By insane you mean fantastic, right?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

A wereman is when a man who bites another man, and every full moon he turns into a half-man/half-bro, loping through the forest at night, craving fistbumps and red solo cups full of coors lite.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

mango sentinel posted:

I've never seen anyone care this much about a pronoun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mango sentinel posted:

Settle down Francis

• Locked thread