Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Since I'll never get a sequel to Battle for Middle Earth and this game is the closest I'll get to it, and goblins being my spirit animal, played as Crooked Moon for my 2nd campaign after learning the game as vampires.

I fought Chaos and defeated Archaeon with a pileup of 3 armies, but then two turns later he shows up in another chaos army a few zones away, can he do that or am I just lucky? I beat him, and chaos ended, and felt pretty satisfied because the auto resolved showed me losing hard but I thought I'd see how I'd do in a battle and luckily I had a big hill to await their army on.

Had a lot of difficulty early on with Waagh getting too low, I don't think I was raiding enough but that kind of constant pressure it puts on you to fight isn't usually my thing, vampires was way easier. Going to try and beat the campaign, and maybe try Norsca or Dwarves after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PlushCow posted:

Since I'll never get a sequel to Battle for Middle Earth and this game is the closest I'll get to it, and goblins being my spirit animal, played as Crooked Moon for my 2nd campaign after learning the game as vampires.

I fought Chaos and defeated Archaeon with a pileup of 3 armies, but then two turns later he shows up in another chaos army a few zones away, can he do that or am I just lucky? I beat him, and chaos ended, and felt pretty satisfied because the auto resolved showed me losing hard but I thought I'd see how I'd do in a battle and luckily I had a big hill to await their army on.

Had a lot of difficulty early on with Waagh getting too low, I don't think I was raiding enough but that kind of constant pressure it puts on you to fight isn't usually my thing, vampires was way easier. Going to try and beat the campaign, and maybe try Norsca or Dwarves after.

If there's still another Chaos army on the map, Archie the Neverchosen will respawn in it after a few turns.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Since Vanilla is poo poo in my book, I tried out Radious...and..uh...

Basically there are a bazillion units and everything farts out cash?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Also seems harder, in battle.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

vanilla is cool, and good, and is my friend

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah
It's trash

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Vanilla has a few minor issues but trying Radious is a good way to appreciate the unmodded game more.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

it's legit impossible to win as empire because nothing breaks. You just get steam rolled by like a billion savage orcs

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The thing about radious is he increases income which also increases how often the enemy settles a ruin. You can do that without his mod but depending on your style it may take 2-3 mods to get the same effect.

The units are generally just up tiered versions of what is already out there. So imagine vanilla dwarves or chaos but everyone gets up tiered units. Plus he adds in some units where people are lacking.

But if you are a fan of table top accuracy or just want a hammer and anvil route in 3 minutes battle, you probably don't want radious.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Third World Reggin posted:

The thing about radious is he increases income which also increases how often the enemy settles a ruin. You can do that without his mod but depending on your style it may take 2-3 mods to get the same effect.

The units are generally just up tiered versions of what is already out there. So imagine vanilla dwarves or chaos but everyone gets up tiered units. Plus he adds in some units where people are lacking.

But if you are a fan of table top accuracy or just want a hammer and anvil route in 3 minutes battle, you probably don't want radious.

source your quotes

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

He does have chaos dwarves as a troop choice

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Radious gives VCs a bunch of archer units. It seems like a "everyone gets everything" kind of mod, which is pretty lovely when one of the main draws of TWW is the asymmetry between sides.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Pretend I posted RadiousChaosChariots.png

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lassitude posted:

Radious gives VCs a bunch of archer units. It seems like a "everyone gets everything" kind of mod, which is pretty lovely when one of the main draws of TWW is the asymmetry between sides.

Yeah, its most obvious with Vampires but it gives dumb high tier poo poo to every faction so that they've mostly become unbreakable homogeneous blobs.

Empire with amazing infantry on top of their great cav, ranged, artillery and magic? Why not! Heavily armored Beastmen variants? Sure!

Also it just slaps immunity to fatigue and living saints on loving everything. Also ward saves.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
One of the mods I use got rid of the cost to settle ruins, both for gold and manpower. NO IDEA which one, and I vaguely prefer it to have some cost but I can't be arsed to figure out which one got rid of the cost. It definitely leads to fewer ruins though

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Since Vanilla is poo poo in my book

Bad opinion

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i dont like starting with 2 hordes as beastmen, its annoying managing that crap early on when you have no money

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Then disband one.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

PlushCow posted:

Autoresolve is weighed more heavily in favor of whomever has higher tiered units. Since Skarsnik's armies tend to use huge, huge blocks of t1 goblin and t2 wolf rider units it weighs unfavorably against them, even though Skarsnik and Night Goblin Big Boss' whole thing is "Giving huge blocks of t1 goblins unreasonably huge melee attack and charge buffs and giving everyone poison on top of it". By the time you get to the end of the Lord's red line it doesn't matter how high a tier the lowly goblin unit is: When they'll have like 65-70 melee attack and a cavalry-grade charge bonus, they will shithouse wriggity-wreck pretty much any clash they are in. Granted they still will have like 20 defense so any sort of flanking maneuver will kill them in droves, but all it takes is a couple of lord levels and the resultant army will crush all comers. And the lions share of your armies are like, 50-70 upkeep a unit too, so it's piss cheap to have a ton of the lovely little monsters around. It's basically the logical opposite problem Clan Angrund has, where they have trouble even fielding one full army stack before they take Eight Peaks.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 21, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kaza42 posted:

One of the mods I use got rid of the cost to settle ruins, both for gold and manpower. NO IDEA which one, and I vaguely prefer it to have some cost but I can't be arsed to figure out which one got rid of the cost. It definitely leads to fewer ruins though

We must be using the same mod, because in my current Welf game there's no cost to seed ruins, which means that raze-then-seed is now the Optimal Play Always. I last played them months ago so who knows, maybe it was always this way for them?

In similar vein, one of the mods I use appears to have changed the requirement to enable Confederations for WE: I delayed upgrading the Oak forever because I needed more amber and wanted a stack close to home to deal with the scripted Beastmen, and then sometime after the Chaos invasion with my Oak still at level 1 it somehow enabled itself on its own? Not sure whether it was the invasion or maxing out the main building it my capital that did it, not sure which mod did it, really rather wish this sort of thing was easier to figure out. Maybe I'm just too used to Paradox games where like 75% of the scripting is in plaintext right there in the game folder.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 21, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Radious' mods have always been "GIVE EVERYONE SHITLOADS OF INCOME" and "MAKE EVERY BATTLE TAKE 9000 YEARS BECAUSE NO ONE BREAKS". In every game that he's modded, that is his mantra. I guess some people enjoy it, but holy poo poo was it ever tedious in Rome 2, and I can only see it being worse now.

On top of that, he adds in random units as if they add something. VCs getting archers, for example. Why? I don't know. I guess he just wants all the factions to play the same.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

On the subject of resettling, how do you fine folks handle the cost of it? Still trucking away on my welf campaign and it costs a shitton per settlement I want, but also costs a shitton to have an army on standby to provide settlement bodies to reduce the cost.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dallan Invictus posted:

We must be using the same mod, because in my current Welf game there's no cost to seed ruins, which means that raze-then-seed is now the Optimal Play Always. I last played them months ago so who knows, maybe it was always this way for them?

No you're using a blatant cheat mod.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

NLJP posted:

The encyclopaedia being slow and web based is still the worst thing about modern TW

It's loving terrible and there is no excuse for it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

sassassin posted:

No you're using a blatant cheat mod.

Lmao

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

So, I tried my hand at modding and wanted to make a subfaction that essentially functions like chaos or norsca but is an empire faction of mercenaries.

I thought it would be neat but it was WAY beyond me

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Glenn Quebec posted:

So, I tried my hand at modding and wanted to make a subfaction that essentially functions like chaos or norsca but is an empire faction of mercenaries.

I thought it would be neat but it was WAY beyond me

Yeah that's a really, really big job.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

those mods that make nothing ever break loving suck cause it means that basically whoever has the toughest/most units will always win

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

sassassin posted:

Yeah that's a really, really big job.

Tell me about it. I wasted two days on it with nothing to show for.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i dont like starting with 2 hordes as beastmen, its annoying managing that crap early on when you have no money

Disband all the lord's troops and have him tag along on your main horde's adventures - you'll be happy for all the growth later. Beastmen are always rolling in dough.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Disband all the lord's troops and have him tag along on your main horde's adventures - you'll be happy for all the growth later. Beastmen are always rolling in dough.

Or just transfer them to the other guy's army

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tell me about it. I wasted two days on it with nothing to show for.

If you mean making a new human faction that functions with horde mechanics, start a little lower. That would require making new superchains for the building tree and working all the way down, along with a lot of other stuff. Nothing about that will be easy without knowing how things work together. Trying making a new building chain first for the empire, since that will cover a lot of that stuff. This is still going to suck immensely but at least you can use existing things to make sense of it all.

I was able to get my own versions of outposts into the game before Wood Elves did it, so you could more properly paint the map without "settle anywhere" rules, and it was pretty loving tedious.

Incorporating a new faction in startpos.esf is going to be a loving nightmare though. Also it will be dead event wise unless you can lua script.

Looking at Cataphs southern realms mod wouldn't be a bad idea, if you want hordes you need to understand how to blend them with beastmen data appropriately.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 21, 2017

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

ChickenWing posted:

On the subject of resettling, how do you fine folks handle the cost of it? Still trucking away on my welf campaign and it costs a shitton per settlement I want, but also costs a shitton to have an army on standby to provide settlement bodies to reduce the cost.

Settle it with your conquering army and get the replenishment building. It builds in one turn (after getting main building) and will then let you raze-settle the rest of the province super fast. Change it when you're done.

The first two turns before you get that building up are kinda risky but you can mitigate it to almost nothing if you engage the enemy stack before starting.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 21, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
It will be interesting when SFO updates. I enjoy having regiments of renown that can level up, and with Norscans being their own self contained faction, the changes to various other factions would allow for interesting matchups.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Apropos of nothing, but I just found out about Khemric Titans and now I'm angry GW completely deleted Tomb Kings.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, is Norsca worth it?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

So, is Norsca worth it?

Trying to see yellow markers on snow gives me a headache so avoid/10.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Fat Samurai posted:

So, is Norsca worth it?

I think so. I got them free for pre ordering WH2 so it was a no brainer for me. their roster is much more balanced with tools for many different tasks. Their human units get stronger the longer they fight, and they have a good diversity of monsters as well. Both Legendary Lords have their own perks and feel unique, and being able to capture coasts and quickly confederate your neighbors lets you get a lot of momentum going. Really their main downsides are that they have poor passive income (requiring you to be always raiding and sacking), they don't get provincial decrees unlike every other faction, and their global recruitment is 50% slower than other factions.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

It will be interesting when SFO updates. I enjoy having regiments of renown that can level up, and with Norscans being their own self contained faction, the changes to various other factions would allow for interesting matchups.

And speak of the devil, it just did! Time to get back!

Also, they've added new units to Dwarfs and Greenskins, as well as revamped the Empire/Bretonnian halberd/spear dynamic. I'll see what it's like tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

Trying to see yellow markers on snow gives me a headache so avoid/10.

Proof of CA's incompetence is not changing marker color on snow maps

Glenn Quebec posted:

There are some mods that got broken post norsca that make vanilla campaign more bearable. Especially the ones that make empire factions either work together or not completely hate each other. It was amazing after installing one of these campaign AI fixes how willing the AI was to help me out with battles that made sense against opponents like Chaos, Skaeling, and Vargs.

Basically the closer WH:TW is to Diplomacy: Warhammer the better the game gets because it's different every time instead of just Chaos n' Nords vs the world.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 21, 2017

• Locked thread