Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I can't stop staring at the neck flaps

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
Thanks Florida for letting me see clouds on this unique event.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Office Pig posted:

There are so many stories of all these MAGA chuds just staring right into the sun that this is bound to happen.

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/899709604963266560

"I found Hillary's e-mails"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

suboptimal posted:

The Cosmic Ballet Goes On!

Even if you're outside the totality, sun through leaves is pretty cool.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

No one who rolls around with Molon Labe gear cares about the historical reality. People who love the idea of Spartan warriors love the image from Gates of Fire, or more likely from 300 the movie/comic book. Or they love the pithy defiance and heroic last stand that people have been romanticising since Simonides of Ceos. If I airbrush a charging knight upon his faithful destrier on the side of my van, I don't actually give a poo poo about the oppressive nature of the feudal system or the homoerotic undertones of the knight/squire relationship. You're a self-aggrandizing killjoy who is smugly trying to "gotcha" people you look down on solely in service of your own dreary sense of superiority.

If I stopped doing everything that terrible people also enjoy, I wouldn't have any hobbies, read any books, or vote for any political party.

gently caress you

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

I think we know who in GiP buys molon labe poo poo

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Nah, I've been all in on "21st Century Samurai Bushido Warrior" poo poo ever since I saw Ghost Dog.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
:mad: loving raining in Minnesota. When did we swap weather with Seattle?

Casimir Radon posted:

The Pioneer Press put out an article about the Confederate flag the 1st Minnesota captured at Gettysburg. Virginia has asked for it back many times and we've told them to get hosed every time. Lots of whining in the comments section about how the Civil War wasn't about slavery.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/20/minnesota-has-a-confederate-symbol-and-it-is-going-to-keep-it/

I love how they're been asking for it back for the last 160 years, and we just keep telling them 'lol no'.

Apparently it's still bloodstained. :black101:

BigDave fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 21, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

"In 2000, when Virginia legislators requested the Southern Cross flag once again, Gov. Jesse Ventura said: 'Why? We won. … We took it. That makes it our heritage.'"

:lol: This is like military history 101: you get to keep the flags and guidons you capture in battle.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
okay Minnesotans telling Virginia to get gently caress for 150 years is pretty funny

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Some rando soldier loots a relic or antiquity or valuable item or cultural item for his own personal gain or collection? Probably return it.

A unit captures a guidon or flag or other such item, turns it in to the government, and the government displays it? gently caress you, we won.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mlmp08 posted:

Some rando soldier loots a relic or antiquity or valuable item or cultural item for his own personal gain or collection? Probably return it.

A unit captures a guidon or flag or other such item, turns it in to the government, and the government displays it? gently caress you, we won.

Same logic as police imprisoning someone vs a private citizen doing it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Stealing other units' poo poo is military tradition even in 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

woe to the vanquished

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Minnesota should just send a letter that says "molon labe"

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is like military history 101: you get to keep the flags and guidons you capture in battle.

My old unit would seem to agree!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Heritage, not hate.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Merton Blask posted:

My old unit would seem to agree!

Now I want a military museum that only holds captured enemy flags & trophies.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

It's called the American South.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm sure the Brits or the French have one. The Germans keep Napoleon's hat in the Deutsches Historisches.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BigDave posted:

The coast guard sends its regards.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm sure the Brits or the French have one. The Germans keep Napoleon's hat in the Deutsches Historisches.

The National Army Museum in the UK has a really stunning collection, including a massive diorama showing how troops were positioned at the beginning of the Battle of Waterloo

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The 1st Minnesota made one of the most insane infantry assaults in history, delaying Confederate forces at Gettysburg and captured that flag while taking something like 80% casualties.

They followed it up the next day by helping repulse Pickett's Charge.

No way they give that flag back.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ElMaligno posted:

The navy is right there with you, chum.

Edit: nm i'm a moron thought the constitution was a captured vessel.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The coasties have a literal Nazi warship as a war trophy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
There's a couple US held Japanese and German World War 2 era prizes at the bottom of Bikini

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
we swiped some taliban flag during a firefight and it hung up in our TOC until we left afghanistan.

not sure what happened to it after that though. probably still in a connex out back waiting to get inventoried.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Would kill to see that ship grapple some suspected drug runner and inspect it by swinging over from the rigging.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Would kill to see that ship grapple some suspected drug runner and inspect it by swinging over from the rigging.

I don't think that would work out with modern cigarette boats

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/899722814227349504

uh...okay

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I don't think that would work out with modern cigarette boats

Cruise missile grappling hooks then to get them over the horizon.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'd rather watch them try to outrun the new railgun.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Harambe memes - don't call it a come back

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
ENTIRE CA CENTRAL COAST OVERCAST. THANKS DARPA

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

maffew buildings posted:

ENTIRE CA CENTRAL COAST OVERCAST. THANKS DARPA

It wasn't that bad in Venice beach

All the snapchat techbros were out and the homeless/locals were giving them poo poo

Venice is weird

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

These days, wouldn't the CG prize capture display just be a big warehouse full of cocaine and Panamanian/Mongolian/Liberian flags?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dead Reckoning posted:

No one who rolls around with Molon Labe gear cares about the historical reality. People who love the idea of Spartan warriors love the image from Gates of Fire, or more likely from 300 the movie/comic book. Or they love the pithy defiance and heroic last stand that people have been romanticising since Simonides of Ceos. If I airbrush a charging knight upon his faithful destrier on the side of my van, I don't actually give a poo poo about the oppressive nature of the feudal system or the homoerotic undertones of the knight/squire relationship. You're a self-aggrandizing killjoy who is smugly trying to "gotcha" people you look down on solely in service of your own dreary sense of superiority.

If I stopped doing everything that terrible people also enjoy, I wouldn't have any hobbies, read any books, or vote for any political party.

What the fuuuuck Gates of Fire is awesome and a big part of the story is how lovely they are to the Helots. :colbert: It's me I fuckin love gates of fire.

e]lmao you just know Trump totally thinks he's maintaining his tough-guy image by staring at the eclipse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Dead Reckoning posted:

These days, wouldn't the CG prize capture display just be a big warehouse full of cocaine and Panamanian/Mongolian/Liberian flags?

The DEA has a few things like that in their museum archive, I'll have to see if I can find my pictures later.

• Locked thread