Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I went back to check the numbers on Drive that got it cancelled so quickly; it pulled in 6 mil for the first episode but had dropped to "only" 4.6 mil by the time they pulled the plug 10 days later.

Goddamn, TV has changed a lot in the past 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

Man, Drive. That's a random "I might grow to love this show" nugget from the vault.

If you're down with the premise it's well enough executed and Nathan Fillion is Nathan Fillion in it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one that I liked from that era was a show called Kidnapped which ran for one season in 2006-2007. It was a 13 episode story arc centred on the kidnapping of the son of a tycoon with a bunch of twists and turns and intrigue. It completed its arc but ended with a sequel hook. Possibly ahead of its time? Hard to say. Its protagonist was the sort of "quirky" private investigator that'd be popular today (or, less ambitiously, probably would've slotted into the "Characters Welcome" era USA Network).

Timothy Hutton was in it (which I knew because I briefly followed Leverage for a while afterwards).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one that I liked from that era was a show called Kidnapped which ran for one season in 2006-2007. It was a 13 episode story arc centred on the kidnapping of the son of a tycoon with a bunch of twists and turns and intrigue. It completed its arc but ended with a sequel hook. Possibly ahead of its time? Hard to say. Its protagonist was the sort of "quirky" private investigator that'd be popular today (or, less ambitiously, probably would've slotted into the "Characters Welcome" era USA Network).

Timothy Hutton was in it (which I knew because I briefly followed Leverage for a while afterwards).

Yeah that was a good show. It also has Jeremy Sisto, Delroy Lindo, Mykelti Williamson, and Carmen Ejogo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another late-2000s show I liked a lot while it was on was Shark, which starred James Woods as a defence attorney who becomes disillusioned with his practice after one of his clients murders their wife on the same day he got him off for domestic abuse so he changes sides and goes into public prosecution.

More of a post-House show than a post-Lost show, though. It's in that "brilliant professional but a right prat" tradition.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yayyyy Halt and Catch Fire premiere owns

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Journeyman supremacy, bitches. Journeyman forever.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Is Journeyman available for streaming anywhere? I have been really wanting to watch it again for a while.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jingleheimer posted:

Is Journeyman available for streaming anywhere? I have been really wanting to watch it again for a while.

I’m going to guess if not it’s because they didn’t get their music rights in order.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Day Break is the king of single season mid-00s shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DC Murderverse posted:

I can take or leave the Daily Show these days but Trevor Noah is really cool and everyone should read his memoir of growing up in South Africa directly before, during and after Apartheid as a mixed race child (or better yet, listen to the audiobook which is really loving good and sees Noah speaking around 8 different languages).

loving :agreed: so hard. One of the best "comedian true story" audiobooks I've heard, up there with Cleese's So Anyway and Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland. Trevor's mom sounds so cool :3:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Mann posted:

Agreed.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

The Middleman. Too bad it's not on streaming anywhere so I can prove it.

[Edit: Wait, gently caress, Terriers.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 22, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

Terriers was a 2010 show, it's disqualified.

Still a great show though. I still have the theme song in my music library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD8Kh7Pmzho

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

It's good but the premise is stretched a bit thin over the course of the whole run and it gets a bit repetitive. Taye diggs is cool though

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wandle Cax posted:

It's good but the premise is stretched a bit thin over the course of the whole run and it gets a bit repetitive. Taye diggs is cool though

:swoon:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wandle Cax posted:

Taye diggs is cool though

Taye Diggs followed me out of the blue on Twitter a couple years back. I didn't understand why then, and I don't understand why now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

If you're down with the premise it's well enough executed and Nathan Fillion is Nathan Fillion in it.

I honestly thought Fillion's career was in trouble after so many commercial failures. I never watched Castle but I'm glad he got a steady payday.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

lelandjs posted:

Whenever I see Natalie Morales pop up, I still think "Wendy Watson" in Noser's voice. I think The Middleman was too early and could've done better in this superhero-hungry era of media.

Escobarbarian posted:

Yayyyy Halt and Catch Fire premiere owns

Lee Pace was so good in the premiere but man Toby Huss killed his scenes, too. Poor Boz. :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Middleman had too much clever fast-paced dialogue and the actors just couldn't pull it off IMO. They needed better actors or better direction. A lot of the scenes looked like I was watching a high school play.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I never watched The Middleman but I haven't really liked Matt Keeslar or Natalie Morales in anything.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

He's not a furry, he just has bad opinions.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

I never watched The Middleman but I haven't really liked Matt Keeslar or Natalie Morales in anything.

The only recollection I have of Matt Keeslar is Scream 3, in which he's the most obnoxious presence in a cast full of obnoxious presences.

But at least he was granted mercy.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

He's not a furry, he just has bad opinions.

Shhh, if you listen closely you can hear a dozen Threadless shirt designers getting boners at once.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

The Middleman had too much clever fast-paced dialogue and the actors just couldn't pull it off IMO. They needed better actors or better direction. A lot of the scenes looked like I was watching a high school play.

That's fair, though as the show goes on it improves quite a bit. Or maybe I got used to it. I felt the same way about Eureka and Other Space when I watched them, there's a kind of awkwardness to the staging and delivery that's a bit more amaturish then you usually see on TV, but the material and the actors in the aforementioned shows are so winning I don't really care after an episode or two. I can't really think of any good-looking sci-fi comedies that are actually funny--we'll see if The Orville bucks that trend (I hope it does because I want at least one good Star Trek show this fall).

muscles like this! posted:

I'm just surprised you've seen more than one thing Matt Keeslar has been in. There's not much chance you'll see him in anything else, either, as he retired from acting to become a nurse. :smith:

And Natalie is either misused (Newsroom) or underused (Parks & Rec). She's legitimately great in The Middleman and it sucks that her best work is in a show that no one watched because it was on ABC Family.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
There's no thread for this season of teen wolf but it has taken quite the dark turn. I'm pretty darn impressed how well they are handling it considering the shows constraints.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Did whatsisface have a full recovery from his accident? I remember Teen Wolf and the next Maze Runner being pushed back because he got hella hosed up.

Granred I think that was like two years ago now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I honestly thought Fillion's career was in trouble after so many commercial failures. I never watched Castle but I'm glad he got a steady payday.

Nathan Fillion's career will never be in trouble so long as Joss Whedon exists.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

raditts posted:

Nathan Fillion's career will never be in trouble so long as Joss Whedon exists.

We'll see how long that is after his ex-wife coming out and blasting him this weekehahahahaha like a big name dude in Hollywood could get fired for anything shy of murder

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

END ME SCOOB posted:

We'll see how long that is after his ex-wife coming out and blasting him this weekehahahahaha like a big name dude in Hollywood could get fired for anything shy of murder

Yeah, I thought about that, but I doubt that will affect his marketability or his fanbase.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's possible to have feminist values while cheating on your wife. It just means you don't like that wife.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Well Whedon's biggest fan site closed down yesterday after 15 years and is asking for donations for the wife's charity so it's hurt his brand a little bit. I imagine he's a bit upset to see that site go.

That said cheating isn't a crime and I expect most people in Hollywood will see the article as sour grapes.

I mean if an actor can sexually harass his co-workers and deliberately poo poo himself because he's refusing a direction but still win an Oscar I imagine one of the hottest writers and directors around right now will survive having put his married dick into consenting women.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh I have to know more about the making GBS threads thing.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

esperterra posted:

Did whatsisface have a full recovery from his accident? I remember Teen Wolf and the next Maze Runner being pushed back because he got hella hosed up.

Granred I think that was like two years ago now.

Stiles has only been in the show for one scene so dunno if he is fully recovered. I hope so, that was a nasty accident.

They are weathering his absence surprisingly well considering he was one of the better young actors

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
He must have recovered ok, he's got that new movie coming out, American assassin

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Apparently it took Whedon being an adulterer to finally activate a wave of people talking about how creepy his feminist schtick has been since we left the 90s.

That kind of sucks. I don't want to start a debate or derail or anything, but imho whether or not Joss cheated has no real bearing on whether or not he's a real feminist (which also, who cares tbh but that's another derail) because everyone is capable of cheating. Doesn't matter if you're a bigot or a feminist or an average joe. Human nature sucks.

It's a dick move he hosed around on his wife and he's an rear end in a top hat creep for it, definitely. But there are like 100 different and more substantial reasons to tear apart his view of feminism and whether it fits the ideals of feminism in tyool 2017. His infidelity isn't one of those reasons. Just go look at his shows or w/e or any of the talks he gives where he sounds dated af or like he doesn't get it.

Granted, I haven't read the letter the wife published, but that's my surface reading of the situation from all these headlines I see in the Google. So if her essay was specifically about that, I get why people are taking the feminism angle with the story. Just seems like something I expected more people to realize before she pointed it out.

e: ^^ that's good to hear. I like Stiles a lot, the Maze Runner movies are prob the YA novels I enjoy the most tbh. They have a cast of young actors I've liked in other things, and don't take themselves too seriously.

Plus the second movie used Patsy Cline in a pivotal setpiece moment and made me bust a ladynut.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Girls doing kung fu is peak feminism

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

Girls doing kung fu is peak feminism

My feminist view is seen thru Xena tinted glasses tbqh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Kai's letter is specifically about how Whedon's a hypocrite for stating these ideals while cheating on her.

I'm torn because I do think she deserves to have her story heard, but also the way it's phrased absolutely feels like deliberately trying to destroy his career due to sour grapes. Hard to believe she's as past it as she claims when she writes an article like this, right?

I personally don't think cheating, even to this degree, means you can't be a feminist, but I also never saw Whedon as any kind of amazing feminist either - so much of his writing is like the most typical "strong female character" stuff that comes from a not great place (basically what Mu Zeta said above) - so maybe I would feel differently about this if I had. It's absolutely baffling to me that people are going all "Whedon is trash" over this.

He also essentially blamed the patriarchy for him having affairs which is just so dumb and lame but largely makes him seem like an idiot child rather than a scumbag or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

I also never saw Whedon as any kind of amazing feminist either

This is what my thoughts boil down to, really. Like he hasn't been an amazing or up to date or w/e feminist for years now, and imo this would be the case whether he was a dick who cheated for 15 years or not.

Mostly I'm surprised it took a big personal drama like this to get more people talking about it. I always thought it was weird he still seemed to have so much feminist like cred or w/e the past handful of years.

e: also yeah while cheating for 15 years is a loving disgusting thing, idk how I feel about Kai publishing this open letter in the first place. being public figures doesn't make it not a dick move to air this kind of dirty laundry, even if I do have great sympathy for what she went through.

• Locked thread