Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Woman finds long-lost diamond ring on carrot in garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Normally insurance for a bike or ring or whatever is just a rider on your home insurance.

Correct. Get a personal articles floater on your homeowner's or renter's policy. They're pretty drat cheap. You do have to get the ring appraised, which costs money. However, in California (can't speak to other states), your homeowner's policy covers $1,500 standard for jewelry loss. If your ring costs less than that, then don't bother getting a rider.

But like if you sink three months' worth of salary into the ring, it's probably worth it to get insurance just so you don't get totally pissed if the ring is lost or stolen.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

at first glance this looked like a diamond cock ring

Mantle
May 15, 2004

E: eh don't want to post about self.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I give it about even odds that she actually lost the ring and that she was extremely under occupied and spent several years trying to get a carrot to grow through it just for something to do.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Not worth a whole lot, though. Probably just a one carrot ring. :v:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
BWM Favorites: Houses, Cars, Rings, Education, Horses... Pine Straw?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6v3jwc/homeowners_beware_the_pine_straw_scam/

quote:

Had a knock on the door yesterday. Appeared to be a guy in the middle of a hard days work and wanted to know if I wanted some pine straw in my flower beds. We negotiated price @ $6/bail and he estimated it would take 40-50 bails. At my hardware store they sell pinestraw for $4.75/bail so seemed fair enough to pay that for the transport and spreading. They get to work and I get called outside about 30 minutes later. Guy said they put down 110 bails (nope) and the price went to $7/bail because he said they included "weed control". Here's where I knew it was a scam. I didn't sit there and count it so they had me. He said they could settle for $500 cash which I awkwardly paid to get these guys off my property.
Always, always be weary of these door to door folks. Don't get caught with your guard down like I did.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lol my dad fell for that same scam except it was fill dirt instead and he wound up paying $3000. He also fell for the suspicious door to door meat salesman and bought a water softener in a similar manner.

My dad's kinda gullible.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Yeah, there's another old one where the guys roll up with a Bobcat and a truck full of hot asphalt, and will repave your driveway for a few thousand bucks. The story is that their supplier overfilled them for the job they did that morning, so they've got a bunch of hot tar that's going to go to waste otherwise and they can cut you a deal!

Hustlers will drive in from out of state, rent a truck, do this for a week or two in a row and then disappear. You'll not be surprised to hear that their workmanship is probably not great, and that you have zero recourse or warranty!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

at first glance this looked like a diamond cock ring

Mantle posted:

E: eh don't want to post about self.

One of the best post combinations I've ever seen.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, there's another old one where the guys roll up with a Bobcat and a truck full of hot asphalt, and will repave your driveway for a few thousand bucks. The story is that their supplier overfilled them for the job they did that morning, so they've got a bunch of hot tar that's going to go to waste otherwise and they can cut you a deal!

Hustlers will drive in from out of state, rent a truck, do this for a week or two in a row and then disappear. You'll not be surprised to hear that their workmanship is probably not great, and that you have zero recourse or warranty!

Actually you do! In most states, you can cancel any purchase made outside of a vendor's permanent place of business within 3 days for whatever reason you feel like.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Actually you do! In most states, you can cancel any purchase made outside of a vendor's permanent place of business within 3 days for whatever reason you feel like.

Good luck finding their permanent place of business.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Barry posted:

Good luck finding their permanent place of business.

You somehow got exactly the opposite meaning of what was meant in that post.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You somehow got exactly the opposite meaning of what was meant in that post.

And yet, I can detect exactly the meaning of yours. Funny how that works.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Barry posted:

And yet, I can detect exactly the meaning of yours. Funny how that works.

The meaning of my post was "you misunderstood that" so... good? I certainly wasn't trying to make that message hard to "detect." Maybe unclench a smidge before you have a cardiac event?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
A month really flies by fast, doesn't it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How would you cancel? They are scammers. They disappear with your money. Their contact info will be fake or non-existent.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lowness 72 posted:

How would you cancel? They are scammers. They disappear with your money. Their contact info will be fake or non-existent.

Chargeback, probably?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This sounds like a scam best operated on a cash-only basis.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The OP even dealt with cash in their story:

quote:

He said they could settle for $500 cash which I awkwardly paid to get these guys off my property.

I wonder how scammers like this will cope as fewer and fewer people have cash on hand regularly. Letting your mark go to an ATM after your 'service' has concluded seems like a risk.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

The OP even dealt with cash in their story:

I wonder how scammers like this will cope as fewer and fewer people have cash on hand regularly. Letting your mark go to an ATM after your 'service' has concluded seems like a risk.

I wonder this about panhandlers too!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

This sounds like a scam best operated on a cash-only basis.

My dad wrote them a check and was too much of a wuss to stop payment on it :downs:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Like, I realize this guy is an idiot, but he apparently figured out this was a scam before handing over the money. Surely he had other recourses than paying out 66% more than he agreed to?

Really I'm just curious what the best course of action is? Tell him to take the $300 or take it back?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Reading the comments it sounds like he was afraid of retribution more than anything.

quote:

Easy to type out on a keyboard. But when you have shady dudes on your property and a wife and kids in the house behind you it's different. They probably did $400 worth of work. Maybe. I'm just passing along a heads up. I didn't know this was a thing until I got duped
I doubt a pack of drive-by pine straw scammers would care enough to get violent over something like this as long as they got some money, but it's hard to blame a dude for going 'gently caress it this isn't worth fighting over'.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wonder this about panhandlers too!

Seriously. Please, nobody make this a detail about whether you should give panhandlers money, but 90% of the time when I want to I can't.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Seriously. Please, nobody make this a detail about whether you should give panhandlers money, but 90% of the time when I want to I can't.

"Do you take Venmo?"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is the most apocryphal stdh.txt poo poo and assumes you're even dealing with an actual business.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Haifisch posted:

Reading the comments it sounds like he was afraid of retribution more than anything.

I doubt a pack of drive-by pine straw scammers would care enough to get violent over something like this as long as they got some money, but it's hard to blame a dude for going 'gently caress it this isn't worth fighting over'.

They could say "ok we'll take it back" and then gently caress up his existing landscaping removing it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
So many good options out there, but somehow I'm a moderator.

In any case, now I see why mods come in to threads every now and then to knock heads together.

So try to keep the self-posting to a minimum, catfish?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
oh gently caress it's already been a month

how time flies when the thread is good

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ohgodwhat posted:

Like, I realize this guy is an idiot, but he apparently figured out this was a scam before handing over the money. Surely he had other recourses than paying out 66% more than he agreed to?

Really I'm just curious what the best course of action is? Tell him to take the $300 or take it back?

The obvious recourse is just don't pay. Offer the original amount if he's feeling generous - if they don't like it their options are to get nothing or take it to court.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is the most apocryphal stdh.txt poo poo and assumes you're even dealing with an actual business.

It's actual settled law in most of the US, and it doesn't matter whether you're dealing with an actual business. Just don't pay or stop payment.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's bird law.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcderLXiwa8

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The obvious recourse is just don't pay. Offer the original amount if he's feeling generous - if they don't like it their options are to get nothing or take it to court.

It's actual settled law in most of the US, and it doesn't matter whether you're dealing with an actual business. Just don't pay or stop payment.

It's a good reminder, probably unnecessary for people here and impossible for their gullible relatives, to always use a payment method with strong consumer protections for big-ticket purchases. Even if you hate carrying a balance, a credit card is often the safest way to pay for things. Save your cash for buying drugs and eating at hole-in-the-wall taco joints.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Alright, so after reading through all the reports for BFC, which all seem to come out of this thread, I'd like to add:

-Self posts. Again, please watch the excessive self posts. If you must bring yourself in to it, please make it relevant to someone being bad with money.

- Politics. :gonk:
Good example: Post about someone who makes some financial decision based on changes they think the government is going to make, only to realize that it's the government and they screw everything up, costing that person money.
Bad example: Pushing your political ideology. I don't care if you're liberal, conservative, or whatever a Jill Stein is. But holy poo poo people get personal with their views. Leave that in D&D.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Moneyball posted:

Alright, so after reading through all the reports for BFC, which all seem to come out of this thread, I'd like to add:

-Self posts. Again, please watch the excessive self posts. If you must bring yourself in to it, please make it relevant to someone being bad with money.

- Politics. :gonk:
Good example: Post about someone who makes some financial decision based on changes they think the government is going to make, only to realize that it's the government and they screw everything up, costing that person money.
Bad example: Pushing your political ideology. I don't care if you're liberal, conservative, or whatever a Jill Stein is. But holy poo poo people get personal with their views. Leave that in D&D.

what about calling everybody a racist non-stop? can we get a bright line rule there or is it sort of a play by ear type of thing?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zo posted:

what about calling everybody a racist non-stop? can we get a bright line rule there or is it sort of a play by ear type of thing?

If you want to ban TB for calling people out, just say it, don't dance around it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Volmarias posted:

If you want to ban TB for calling people out, just say it, don't dance around it.

i don't think I'm dancing around it at all lol

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Zo posted:

Could we get one for all the bellyaching too? You guys don't have to pay extra for the use of your ignore buttons, you know. It comes free with your forums membership.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

NancyPants posted:

Could we get one for all the bellyaching too? You guys don't have to pay extra for the use of your ignore buttons, you know. It comes free with your forums membership.

:allears:

since you're such a fan of the ignore button please start using it

I'm just trying to clarify the thread rules with our new mod here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

It's a good reminder, probably unnecessary for people here and impossible for their gullible relatives, to always use a payment method with strong consumer protections for big-ticket purchases. Even if you hate carrying a balance, a credit card is often the safest way to pay for things. Save your cash for buying drugs and eating at hole-in-the-wall taco joints.

gently caress me. I'm the rear end in a top hat quoting TB as soon as she's off probation. But drat it, she's right in this instance.

edit: Also use cash for tipping waitstaff. Even if you pay for food/alcohol with a card, leave the tip in cash. Often times bartenders/servers can get away with pocketing that and it going under the table.

Mourne fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 22, 2017