Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rvm
May 6, 2013
Centaur's worries is weird.On one hand, it's a satire of political correctness, on the of the other it's an affirmation of it.

I've no idea what author actually has to say, other then angel catgirls are cute which I totally agree with.

And snake girl is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

rvm posted:

snake girl

mods?

rvm
May 6, 2013
What? You're a fan of Fear Of Antarctica?

Well, off off to re-education camp to you, my friend....

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

rvm posted:

Centaur's worries is weird.On one hand, it's a satire of political correctness, on the of the other it's an affirmation of it.

I've no idea what author actually has to say, other then angel catgirls are cute which I totally agree with.
I think it's a mistake to assume it's taking a stance on political correctness. I believe instead, that it's the author's extrapolation of how Japanese society would evolve around a wildly heterogeneous population as opposed to the homogeous one that exists in real life. You could still draw conclusions about the author's beliefs with that in mind--i.e., that maintaining a harmonious society would require a soft-authoritarian police state--but it doesn't directly map to US politics.

Broadly speaking, it does carry a message about living under such a regime, however. If you're expecting Himeno and friends to have an awakening at some point & rebel against an oppressive system (cf. 90% of YA lit) you're missing the point. Why would they? Why should they? They're ordinary teenagers, and they've lived their entire ordinary teenage lives under these rules. It's a rather pessimistic (or cynical, if you prefer) take on things when you stop to consider it, but it's hardly unrealistic.

Like, I wouldn't blame anyone who gets turned off by the frankly jarring tonal shifts but it's one of the reasons I enjoy the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

CG's Producer is what puts it over OGm@s, for me. He's adorable and awkward instead of just a harem protagonist.

CG's producer and P-san form Puchim@s are both great. If there was a puchim@s version for the CG girls, I hope that producer is still the stone faced person, but now he has to deal with bizarre chibis.

Rangpur posted:

I think it's a mistake to assume it's taking a stance on political correctness. I believe instead, that it's the author's extrapolation of how Japanese society would evolve around a wildly heterogeneous population as opposed to the homogeous one that exists in real life. You could still draw conclusions about the author's beliefs with that in mind--i.e., that maintaining a harmonious society would require a soft-authoritarian police state--but it doesn't directly map to US politics.

Broadly speaking, it does carry a message about living under such a regime, however. If you're expecting Himeno and friends to have an awakening at some point & rebel against an oppressive system (cf. 90% of YA lit) you're missing the point. Why would they? Why should they? They're ordinary teenagers, and they've lived their entire ordinary teenage lives under these rules. It's a rather pessimistic (or cynical, if you prefer) take on things when you stop to consider it, but it's hardly unrealistic.

Like, I wouldn't blame anyone who gets turned off by the frankly jarring tonal shifts but it's one of the reasons I enjoy the show.

I really wish the later volumes were translated. I heard they get really weird and wild including terrorist attacks and Amazonian frog people.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

those happen in volumes already translated

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think what's unsettling about it is that we generally expect fiction to have some sort of message on some level. Like, this is poo poo that someone has made up that they're telling to us, so we generally expect to have a grasp of why they're telling us this, what value they think it could add to our lives, whether it be as simple as 'explosions are cool' or as complex as 'this is how graphical user interfaces work, and this is why they are a manifestation of neo-Zoroastrianism and we should smash them all with hammers to prevent Ahriman from eating our souls'. Centaur's Worries is just hurling stuff at us without bothering to clarify its purpose, so people are as thrown as they might be if a homeless dude came up to us on the street and started word-salading at us about the mating cycles of ostriches.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i too get extremely uncomfortable when a piece of fiction doesn't blatantly signpost its morals and themes, and expects me to decide how to feel about them for myself. i get all itchy on my skin.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You can make jokes about something and it just be a joke. I hope they reveal a shadowy government cabal of sheep men that are just really into mermaid girls.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

i too get extremely uncomfortable when a piece of fiction doesn't blatantly signpost its morals and themes, and expects me to decide how to feel about them for myself. i get all itchy on my skin.

I mean, even beyond the weird police state thing, we're talking about a show which spent a fifteen-minute segment talking about how a lady centaur can't see her own vagina. where mermaids start right below the pelvis (for SEX REASONS). where nearly every episode seems to have some part where the comedy drops out completely so a teenaged girl can browbeat her own dad for not being an effective provider.

It's weird and uncomfortable for reasons beyond being just being hard to read.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
On the other hand, the parts in centaur where they drop the punchlines and just chat about movies and stuff like it's a real world are extremely good

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monmusu had a chapter about exploitation of immigrant labor. Perhaps the real monster is humanity.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Monmusu had a chapter about a harpy giving birth to an egg.

Graphically.

So, y'know, maybe the monster is Okayado.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

I mean, even beyond the weird police state thing, we're talking about a show which spent a fifteen-minute segment talking about how a lady centaur can't see her own vagina. where mermaids start right below the pelvis (for SEX REASONS). where nearly every episode seems to have some part where the comedy drops out completely so a teenaged girl can browbeat her own dad for not being an effective provider.

It's weird and uncomfortable for reasons beyond being just being hard to read.
those are all fair complaints but that guy didn't mention those and was just talking about fiction generally, in a really dumb way. i dont care about centaur's life

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Allarion posted:

On a side note, they did hint that there will be a Producer in SideM, but they're still keeping the details under wraps it seems.

I hope they at least get a face because this is kind of weird

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Polsy posted:

I hope they at least get a face because this is kind of weird

Never play cards against him.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chumbler posted:

Never play cards against him.

It could be a her. Hard to tell really

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

You mean you've never watched a show where you felt that details were unnecessary, or spoiled the message or atmosphere, or where your enjoyment of a scene was spoiled because you legit could not tell what they were trying to do with it (like a scene of nonsensical dialogue, or an indecipherable action sequence? When people say that a work has 'tone problems', what do you think they mean by that? What makes inconsistent tone bad?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth Walrus posted:

You mean you've never watched a show where you felt that details were unnecessary, or spoiled the message or atmosphere, or where your enjoyment of a scene was spoiled because you legit could not tell what they were trying to do with it (like a scene of nonsensical dialogue, or an indecipherable action sequence? When people say that a work has 'tone problems', what do you think they mean by that? What makes inconsistent tone bad?

:thunk:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Yes I've watched gundam

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Darth Walrus posted:

When people say that a work has 'tone problems', what do you think they mean by that?

A non-trivial percentage of the time, they mean "I expect all media I consume to affirm my preexisting beliefs, and get pissy when they don't."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Y'all really daft right now, just an FYI.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh no, a discussion!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

A non-trivial percentage of the time, they mean "I expect all media I consume to affirm my preexisting beliefs, and get pissy when they don't."

To be fair, when a work wants to present something that contradicts its audience's expectations or desires, the spotlight is on the work to sell whatever it's trying to sell, not on the audience to just shrug their shoulders and accept whatever.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man I should have given princess principal the three episode treatment a lot earlier. Things get really spicy at the end of episode two.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
e; on second thought i'm just gonna say this week's princess principal is insanely good, but i guess that doesn't mean much cause i say that about every episode cause princess principal is really good

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 22, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

oh no, a discussion!
What kinda bothers me is that the show certainly warrants precisely that: a healthy amount of discussion, but there's no bloody thread for it or the manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
:justpost:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

What kinda bothers me is that the show certainly warrants precisely that: a healthy amount of discussion, but there's no bloody thread for it or the manga.

personally i was interested in how this would play out in terms of just speaking about fiction in general. but yeah i'm surprised a centaur's worries thread doesn't exist, plenty of people itt consistently bring it up.

(i dropped it so don't look at me)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Eela6 posted:

where nearly every episode seems to have some part where the comedy drops out completely so a teenaged girl can browbeat her own dad for not being an effective provider.

the scenario in question happened in literally one episode, not "nearly every episode", and this is unfairly reductive of a genuinely interesting family situation the show puts time and care into expanding on

Manami, the class rep char, owns. she 's a talented and diligent student who's being sought after by extracurricular groups but she pushes personal opportunities away so she can work a side job and take care of her younger siblings. we see her emotional motivation for this in ep 4 which also sets up the parallel between her grandfather and her father; he wants to be a painter but doesn't have enough faith in himself to make it his job. on the other hand he doesn't drop his hobby to focus on being a single father of five kids and support them all financially. instead he works part-time and relies on government welfare that comes in because of his youngest child's medical condition.

if her dad worked full-time, Manami wouldn't have to take a part-time job and could take interest in extracurricular activities, but she loves her family and is completely fine with taking care of everyone while he chases his dream of painting. she has a problem with him sitting on the fence because it's not helping either of them and that's an understandable conflict, not 'browbeating'. it's a realistic portrayal of an imperfect but loving household. we also see how they drop the conversation when the young kids wake up, and every other scene with the family shows Manami and her dad being loving and patient with the triplets and it's cute.

I think it's cool to see the interplay between large-scale worldbuilding, local drama, and cute slice-of-life content, and Manami's family is a good example of the show tying these aspects together.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Well, at least we know now as of latest episode how centaurs dress without an assistance.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Space Flower posted:

the scenario in question happened in literally one episode, not "nearly every episode", and this is unfairly reductive of a genuinely interesting family situation the show puts time and care into expanding on

Manami, the class rep char, owns. she 's a talented and diligent student who's being sought after by extracurricular groups but she pushes personal opportunities away so she can work a side job and take care of her younger siblings. we see her emotional motivation for this in ep 4 which also sets up the parallel between her grandfather and her father; he wants to be a painter but doesn't have enough faith in himself to make it his job. on the other hand he doesn't drop his hobby to focus on being a single father of five kids and support them all financially. instead he works part-time and relies on government welfare that comes in because of his youngest child's medical condition.

if her dad worked full-time, Manami wouldn't have to take a part-time job and could take interest in extracurricular activities, but she loves her family and is completely fine with taking care of everyone while he chases his dream of painting. she has a problem with him sitting on the fence because it's not helping either of them and that's an understandable conflict, not 'browbeating'. it's a realistic portrayal of an imperfect but loving household. we also see how they drop the conversation when the young kids wake up, and every other scene with the family shows Manami and her dad being loving and patient with the triplets and it's cute.

I think it's cool to see the interplay between large-scale worldbuilding, local drama, and cute slice-of-life content, and Manami's family is a good example of the show tying these aspects together.

That's a pretty cool framing of it. I may not be giving the show's plotting enough credit.

Now explain the the horse vagina ep please

Ed: It definitely seems like there's enough interest to merit a thread

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

Don't tell me you've never been curious

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rangpur posted:

That was basically my interpretation too, although I only read the first few chapters of the manga; maybe it goes in a different direction later.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:3: that was a good episode

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Don't tell me you've never been curious

look, I'm new to being an anime sex weird. I only started watching Symphogear like three months ago

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Eela6 posted:

That's a pretty cool framing of it. I may not be giving the show's plotting enough credit.

Ed: It definitely seems like there's enough interest to merit a thread

Sounds like a body image problem a self conscious centaur might have. One of a Centaur's Worries, if you will

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Eela6 posted:

look, I'm new to being an anime sex weird. I only started watching Symphogear like three months ago

The thing is, that whole sequence isn't even about anime being weird or whatever. It's about wondering if you look normal, and I mean. I imagine it must be worse if you can't even look yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eela6 posted:

Wait wait wait

Symphogear's sex is weird?

Boobs and butts are weird?

• Locked thread