Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is not a strong enough word for ugly to describe that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It looks like the loving cartoon warthog from the Lion King.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hopefully the Supra will look a little less creas-
Hahahha its toyota its literally going to be a crumpled piece of paper on wheels

Actually i like bits of it
Not the sides though. Christ not the sides.
I really like the gentle sloping hood-belt-trunk line

EEE:
gently caress all yall its nice

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 19, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kill me now posted:

To get things back on topic did we talk about the new Z4 concept that looks real production ready?

:stwoon:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/z5/2018/bmw-concept-z4-first-look/

That looks pretty drat good. Wonder what they're going to do to gently caress it up? The good engine only available with AWD and an auto maybe?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

That looks pretty drat good. Wonder what they're going to do to gently caress it up? The good engine only available with AWD and an auto maybe?

good news!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/yes-leaked-bmw-document-confirms-stick-shift-for-new-z4-roadster-not-for-toyota/

it's toyota that's loving it up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why can't more cars look like this? I want to feel like Jay Gatsby, goddammit.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

Why can't more cars look like this?

Most designers aren't blind

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

Most designers aren't blind

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

this owns.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

This is some excellent gilded age poo poo. The mid 2000's Maybachs were so lame looking.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Yeah, that looks like a great car to cruise in. Cadillac had a similar concept a few years back that I really liked too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Buick, too. the Cadillac Elmiraj and Buick Avista.

What they should build

what they actually build

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Buick, too. the Cadillac Elmiraj and Buick Avista.

What they should build

what they actually build

Concept cars are unencumbered by questions like "how much does it cost to stamp the metal" or "can I park this in a claustrophobic inner city parking garage" or "will the IIHS issue a press release after crash-testing one?" It's puzzling why automakers release them, because they seem to only exist to make shipping cars look like poo poo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Because something something avocado toast.

On car dealer talk, I feel the cheaper the car/lower the stakes, the more of a pita the dealer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That maybach is fantastic holy cow. And it's all electric .

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hopefully the Supra will look a little less creas-
Hahahha its toyota its literally going to be a crumpled piece of paper on wheels

Actually i like bits of it
Not the sides though. Christ not the sides.
I really like the gentle sloping hood-belt-trunk line

EEE:
gently caress all yall its nice
How many forests of ugly trees did that thing fall through? Holy poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kill me now posted:

I'm not saying we don't want to do our part, your average salesperson is scraping to get every sale they can. Its that you will have better results with less frustration on your end by doing things that way. But what do I know, you do this once in a blue moon I do it every day. I'm not here soliciting for sales, I'm just trying to give you some insight into a best practice. If anything someone who doesn't know anything is often preferable from a gross profits standpoint for me, but the right way to do things is educate yourself independently from the dealer before you step in the showroom or send an email and you will have a better time of things.

Also you would never know how I feel about you and certainly wouldn't be getting that advice from me if you were actually dealing with me. I am very straightforward and pleasant to deal with so you probably would do business with me.

I'm happy to talk about the ins and outs of dealerships and how they treat their customers all day, but this derail has gone way to far away from the threads topic. All I originally wanted to say is that Auto sales are not going to move to a mfg direct or fully online model any time soon not just because the dealers or car makers don't want to but because of the vast majority of customers not wanting to buy cars that way and that AI is an outlier not the norm.

To get things back on topic did we talk about the new Z4 concept that looks real production ready?

looks good from some angles but from the front/side angle the bottom side of the grills look odd

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

looks good from some angles but from the front/side angle the bottom side of the grills look odd

Yeah, in many ways it looks like two cars, one smashed on top of another.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Oddly enough the best photo wasn't at the front o the C&D article.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

that is one smug loving car

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I cant stand the grill but that side profile, holy poo poo.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

kill me now posted:

I'm not saying we don't want to do our part, your average salesperson is scraping to get every sale they can. Its that you will have better results with less frustration on your end by doing things that way. But what do I know, you do this once in a blue moon I do it every day. I'm not here soliciting for sales, I'm just trying to give you some insight into a best practice. If anything someone who doesn't know anything is often preferable from a gross profits standpoint for me, but the right way to do things is educate yourself independently from the dealer before you step in the showroom or send an email and you will have a better time of things.

Also you would never know how I feel about you and certainly wouldn't be getting that advice from me if you were actually dealing with me. I am very straightforward and pleasant to deal with so you probably would do business with me.

I'm happy to talk about the ins and outs of dealerships and how they treat their customers all day, but this derail has gone way to far away from the threads topic. All I originally wanted to say is that Auto sales are not going to move to a mfg direct or fully online model any time soon not just because the dealers or car makers don't want to but because of the vast majority of customers not wanting to buy cars that way and that AI is an outlier not the norm.

I'm ashamed that I like this, and I'd like it even more if it came as a z4m style coupe.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It looks huge compared to the old Z4.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
to think the future of bmw roadsters once looked like this

it's hideous btw

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Banano posted:

to think the future of bmw roadsters once looked like this

it's hideous btw

IIRC, that's the concept with the fabric body. The subframe was hinged and powered, and could reshape itself on the fly.

The headlights opening was pretty cool.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

vote_no posted:

It looks huge compared to the old Z4.

Well if the platform was going to be used for the Supra it's not like Toyota was gonna let the Supra get sized down to a Z4. I'm not a fan of just enough lines on that concept to absolutely throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That Z4 could be pretty but sadly it has to be over the top and venty like their current line.

It's frustratingly close to being a nice car, it (like every other loving car these days) is just too busy a design.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can't say I like the Z4. Too many weird aggressive creases, vents and spoilers which I'm sure are completely unnecessarily. The new 8 is looking pretty good in comparison though, maybe that was their goal:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ as always, less is more

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Z4 is a horrid shitshow, the 8 on the other hand.... that could grow on me, there's angles on it that are undeniably awesome. The side profile is amazing

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Z4 is a horrid shitshow, the 8 on the other hand.... that could grow on me, there's angles on it that are undeniably awesome. The side profile is amazing

At least it got people to stop tipping dealership chatte. I like the Z4 and I like venty cars. Yes I like the Focus RS, why do you ask? :v:

Throatwarbler posted:

Oddly enough the best photo wasn't at the front o the C&D article.

Example 1 of many of why I greatly dislike electric cars. All that hood space for a stinking huge v16 biturbo and they fill it with loving luggage.

quote:

A estimated range of 200 miles

Electric cars are like electric RC cars of the old days when I was doing it: 200MPH!!!* *scale speed , One hour run time!!! * *estimated slow and uncontrolled into a curb in 10 minutes

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mobby_6kl posted:

Can't say I like the Z4. Too many weird aggressive creases, vents and spoilers which I'm sure are completely unnecessarily. The new 8 is looking pretty good in comparison though, maybe that was their goal:

Gorgeous scenery. Were those taken around lake como?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Linux Nazi posted:

I'm ashamed that I like this, and I'd like it even more if it came as a z4m style coupe.

I loving love it.

Not that it matters, since it will end up being $80k and I'll never be able to afford one anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

I loving love it.

Not that it matters, since it will end up being $80k and I'll never be able to afford one anyway.

The supra will be the coupe version, and shouldn't be radically different apart from having toyota face instead of bmw face

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Powershift posted:

The supra will be the coupe version, and shouldn't be radically different apart from having toyota face instead of bmw face

Given Toyota's recent design language I think the Z4 will probably win in the looks department.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Also I bet the new Supra still ends up costing over 50k, maybe well-over once optioned up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't t count on the Toyota being much cheaper if they're on Toyobaru or Fiata level of similarity, unfortunately.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^^ as always, less is more

Ain't that the truth.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BloodBag posted:

Example 1 of many of why I greatly dislike electric cars. All that hood space for a stinking huge v16 biturbo and they fill it with loving luggage.

Example 1 of many of why I greatly dislike ICE cars. All that hood space for luggage and they fill it with a stinking engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

new G30 M5

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-bmw-m5-photos-and-information-news

still the S63, 24 pounds of boost, 600hp, 553ft/lbs.AWD only, no manual transmission, 4350lbs.

With teslas and hellcats and stuff, it just doesn't seem $100k special anymore.