Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Really turned off by the 6 rounds and objectives stuff. Thats the absolute worst part of Armada and I had hoped that they'd have learned their lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH I'll probably just take the minis and use Tomorrow's War for them.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Really turned off by the 6 rounds and objectives stuff. Thats the absolute worst part of Armada and I had hoped that they'd have learned their lesson.

What's the issue with this?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Huh.

The owner of my FLGS (in Australia) is apparently at gencon. I found this out by seeing him in a demo video they've made for Legion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZj9Hxf4o5Y

Neat.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ShineDog posted:

From the tournament perspective, the 6 rounds creates edge cases where people are encouraged not to fight and just time out the round. It also favours certain builds (ones with speed) over others. Lower number of rounds means that luck can play more of a impact. The objectives in Armada were designed poorly and usually meant that only certain objectives got played. I really actually hope they get rid of points for killing stuff, or only have it happen in certain missions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Holy poo poo this looks dope and it's right at the point where I can't afford it :(

I do like WH: Diskwars' activation system, where each side has a card limit (4 in standard play) and then each card activates a certain number of troops. You get a certain amount of staggered activations (usually 3 to a card) but if you need more or less you can take cards that give you different numbers of activations. It still gives a certain advantage to smaller armies since more activations tend to be tied to weaker card abilities, but it's less of an issue. (Also larger armies tend to have an inherent advantage given how important having the initiative is in a melee, pinned troops typically can't use abilities and have weaker stats)

And after I typed all that out it looks like that's basically the exact system they're using? e: no, similar but different

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 20, 2017

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I love the idea of this but I wish like hell prequel era factions were in at launch. Droids would definitely be an awesome Zerg faction

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I love the idea of this but I wish like hell prequel era factions were in at launch. Droids would definitely be an awesome Zerg faction

Concept art was basically the only good thing the prequels produced so :agreed:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Best demo view by far(with the designer). They also confirm Snow Speeders and AT-STs and briefly go over the objective/condition/deployment system at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9INF-tOEUA

I am one with the hype and the hype is with me

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Legion is feeling pretty good. It will be interesting to see how people deal with unpainted minis.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Has it been mentioned if the models are posable at all?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I think they mentioned they were snap fit.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I imagine an AT-AT is out of the question since it would be the size of a warlord titan probably?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

I imagine an AT-AT is out of the question since it would be the size of a warlord titan probably?

If there aren't going to be AT-AT's in Legion what's the point of even releasing the game when there's ImpAss?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

AndyElusive posted:

If there aren't going to be AT-AT's in Legion what's the point of even releasing the game when there's ImpAss?

Hopefully you're right, battle of would be loving awesome.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
WotC did a 28mm scaled AT-AT at some point. It's not entirely impossible that they'll do it, and given that they've released figures in parts for Imperial Assault in the past it could easily be done in a reasonably small box.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The size of a scale AT AT makes it very impractical for tabletop gaming, even on a 6' X 3' table. It's like the size of those nebulon frigates people make for Xwing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's not impossible. See here for some obvious comparison. A 6X3 table is a bit undersized in one dimension for most terrain-based wargames TBH, but maybe FFG are going with that to fit into the X-Wing/Armada space requirements.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I honestly can't see FFG making something that size for the game. They generally try to keep things accessible and that will be like 3x the size of a raider, which is already beyond a large number of people both in price and practicality. A lot of Xwings success, I believe comes from its portability and being able to chuck a squad in a plano to play a round at the FLGS after work. Obviously Legion will be more difficult in that respect but an at-at will definitely turn off more people in their target audience than it will attract. Unless of course there is an equivalent Epic mode.

Edit: not to mention basically requiring an airbrush to paint.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wanting to play with an ATAT in 28mm+ scale is asking for trouble. That's the same poo poo that turned 40k from a skirmish platoon-sized game into whatever monstrosity it is now. Just play with 6mm dudes at that point and use the epic 40k ruleset, it's much more manageable.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
X-Wing's success didn't stop 'em from putting out overpriced garbage Epic ships, so I don't see that really mattering much for Legion. It's likely if Snowspeeders are already incoming they're gonna be doing a relative scale similar to Armada, and I really can't see them not packaging up a silly AT-AT for a secondary game mode nobody plays ever.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The size of that AT-AT isn't that much off the size of a Raider, and if it comes in parts then the packaging is much smaller which has knock-on benefits for price. Lengthwise I think it's actually shorter than the Raider. I can see them doing it. I don't think it'll be a good idea, and TBH I'm kind of sad that they even went with 28mm, but I can see us here in a year seeing the Gencon announcement of the first ever Legion Epic unit.

Addressing something specific:

hoiyes posted:

A lot of Xwings success, I believe comes from its portability and being able to chuck a squad in a plano to play a round at the FLGS after work.
So much this. I got Armada in the Amazon sale at Christmas and I still haven't had a chance to play it. It's just too big to lug around compared to X-Wing or any other game I currently play. I really feel they missed out by not going Micro-Machines scale and sticking with squadrons as they are. Might have managed to get actual fleets into the game that way.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ShineDog posted:

Pretty much what Tekopo said. Id rather have a time limit than a round limit. So many Armada games are basically over by round 4/5 that theres no point of even doing a round 6 because its just impossible to win or bring your ships around fast enough to do anything. The missions are poorly designed and just not fun imo. Also some of them have ridiculous scoring systems added to them. I like scenario type things but keep them their own separate thing and not tied to tournament games.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Raged posted:

Best demo view by far(with the designer). They also confirm Snow Speeders and AT-STs and briefly go over the objective/condition/deployment system at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9INF-tOEUA

I am one with the hype and the hype is with me

I totally photobomb at 44:30. I wanted to give Alex the dang rulebook and didn't realize they were filming...

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I had a chat with the designer the other day and asked him about scale and brought up ATAT's. He said that they are trying to do scale as close as possible, it obviously when you get to that size you have to make concessions. If there were no plans to ever do that size vehicles I would assume he would have said that.

He also showed me the commander cards, and they were a pretty neat addition although I don't recall what they did. It sounded like each commander came with threeish cards and they were major effects that could be revealed and used once per game.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
The company that brought you the raider isn't going to miss out on the chance to sell you a $150 AT-AT packaged with a single copy of a storm trooper upgrade card vital to remaining competitive in the meta.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

siggy2021 posted:

I had a chat with the designer the other day and asked him about scale and brought up ATAT's. He said that they are trying to do scale as close as possible, it obviously when you get to that size you have to make concessions. If there were no plans to ever do that size vehicles I would assume he would have said that.

He also showed me the commander cards, and they were a pretty neat addition although I don't recall what they did. It sounded like each commander came with threeish cards and they were major effects that could be revealed and used once per game.

At 59:30 in the video you can see the 3 unique Vader commander cards, and an explanation of how they're used. A minute later you see Luke's 3 unique commander cards. Alex mentions that if you bring 2 commanders, you'll then have a pool of those 6 unique cards, and you'll secretly choose 3 of them to include.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

The company that brought you the raider isn't going to miss out on the chance to sell you a $150 AT-AT packaged with a single copy of a storm trooper upgrade card vital to remaining competitive in the meta.

While I don't like the scale, I'd love to be able to pick up $30 ATATs from chumps who just need the card.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

canyoneer posted:

At 59:30 in the video you can see the 3 unique Vader commander cards, and an explanation of how they're used. A minute later you see Luke's 3 unique commander cards. Alex mentions that if you bring 2 commanders, you'll then have a pool of those 6 unique cards, and you'll secretly choose 3 of them to include.

I go th the impression that with 2 commanders, the generic cards are included in the pool to choose from. So for each pip count, you would have three cards and choose 2. That would let you bring both commander cards for a given pip count. Which may or may not be a good idea.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The idea of a full on unpainted, unassembled 30 mm tabletop wargame trying to utilize the X-Wing style of upgrade cards rubs me the wrong way quite a bit. I assume that's what they're doing with Runewars, but I haven't bought into it beyond the starter box so I'm not certain. But either way, at least with X-Wing you've got a fully contained package. Even if you pull out those autothrusters for some other list, now you've got a painted and ready to go starviper that you can put on the table whenever you feel like and ultimately spent 10 or 15 bucks. Having to grab a markedly more expensive model kit that could potentially sit in the box and be effectively unusable, especially if there's cross-faction stuff, is just too egregious.

I'm cool with how they do it in X-Wing even if I wish they would just sell card packs, but I'd hope they've got the sense to not try and push that model too hard with something that's different enough in nature to make it kind of fuckin stupid.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
You'd hope that each box is pretty self contained, though I can easily see commander models getting unique flavoured upgrades for their squads to fit their style.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The idea of a full on unpainted, unassembled 30 mm tabletop wargame trying to utilize the X-Wing style of upgrade cards rubs me the wrong way quite a bit. I assume that's what they're doing with Runewars, but I haven't bought into it beyond the starter box so I'm not certain. But either way, at least with X-Wing you've got a fully contained package. Even if you pull out those autothrusters for some other list, now you've got a painted and ready to go starviper that you can put on the table whenever you feel like and ultimately spent 10 or 15 bucks. Having to grab a markedly more expensive model kit that could potentially sit in the box and be effectively unusable, especially if there's cross-faction stuff, is just too egregious.

I'm cool with how they do it in X-Wing even if I wish they would just sell card packs, but I'd hope they've got the sense to not try and push that model too hard with something that's different enough in nature to make it kind of fuckin stupid.

I talked to one of the designers at GenCon, and he did mention that they're going to try and make sure that you won't need to go cross-faction to get specific upgrade cards.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
What's to try? You either do or you don't.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Will the game launch with more than the core set available? Never been interested in a miniatures game at launch so I'm kind of clueless.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I'm super disappointed they didnt go 10mm.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Even 15 would have been better.

It would never have happened, people are far to wedded to the big scales, even when its completely wrong for the scale of battle.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I can't help but feel like the game won't feel that much like star wars without a lot of effort. I like xwing and IA because you play on a mat or board that is themed and in the case of xwing everything is pre painted. I just know if I buy legion I'll end up not painting things and probably playing on whatever terrain my FLGS has which pretty much means I'll have Stormtroopers running through medieval villages. It would take a lot of effort to make things look as cool as the demo games at gencon.

I also worry that they will go with the xwing system where if you want to be competitive you have to buy a certain pack just for an upgrade card. With xwing the ship is already assembled and painted so it's easy to throw on the table for casual games but if you want to do the same in legion you at least have to assemble them. I forsee boxes full of unassembled product and they puts me off.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The only bad thing I'm seeing with this is that the minis will presumably all be soldiers and that's dull.

Hopefully that means IA will have space to do the more wild alieny bar-skirmisher and weirdo droids stuff instead.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Vitamin P posted:

The only bad thing I'm seeing with this is that the minis will presumably all be soldiers and that's dull.

Hopefully that means IA will have space to do the more wild alieny bar-skirmisher and weirdo droids stuff instead.

They will have to have more than 2 factions. There is no way a game like this survives on 2 factions. Scum/Black Sun/Cartels would be able to have rancors and other weird things.

II hated painting minis when I played 40k in the 90s, but am looking for to painting these. FFG already has good painters putting up step by step painting videos for beginners and that makes a worlds of difference to me.

Also, storm troopers will be easy to get ready. Prime, spray and a little black and it will be good to go. I doubt we're are going to see GW type painting rules for tournaments.

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Raged posted:

Also, storm troopers will be easy to get ready. Prime, spray and a little black and it will be good to go. I doubt we're are going to see GW type painting rules for tournaments.

"I'm sorry, there is a three colour minimum on minis for this tournaments."