Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rated PG-34 posted:

if the spoilers are real, what happened to all that poo poo about breaking the wheel

It's total nonsense and Tyrion all but said so in the latest episode. Dany has no idea what it would mean to effect lasting social change and furthermore she doesn't want to, it's incompatible with the goal she has actually been working towards (of claiming Aegon's throne, i.e. taking the place in the established power structure she thinks she deserves). It's just a slogan she uses to justify her brutal deeds, there's a reason why it was recently juxtaposed with her burning a man and his son alive for keeping faith with their rulers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I watched one of the Preston Jacob videos and he answered my question about how loving fast are ravens.

170 mph! :eng101:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Will we ever find out what the lord of light wants or will it be a "works in mysterious ways" kinda deal. If the lord of lights whole goal is fighting off "eternal night" that's contrived as heck

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

skasion posted:

It's total nonsense and Tyrion all but said so in the latest episode. Dany has no idea what it would mean to effect lasting social change and furthermore she doesn't want to, it's incompatible with the goal she has actually been working towards (of claiming Aegon's throne, i.e. taking the place in the established power structure she thinks she deserves). It's just a slogan she uses to justify her brutal deeds, there's a reason why it was recently juxtaposed with her burning a man and his son alive for keeping faith with their rulers.

yeah but tyrion also said they shouldnt trust cersei and yet he still sent jon on a suicide mission to get a wight

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Am I missing the joke here or did you forget about the explosion of the great sept?

Season 7 was fanservicey, sure, but it also involved killing off every remnant of the reach and dorne.

Stannis, Shireen, Selyse, Kevan, Tommen, Myrcella, House Tyrell in its entirety. Doran, Trystane, All the sand snakes, Hotah, Ellaria. Almost every character introduced after the third season really.

Are you guys trolling me :\

The only person who died in the sept explosion who remotely counts as a 'fan favorite' was Margaery, and she's nowhere on the level of Jon, The Hound, Jorah, etc. I'm sure they'll clean house of a lot of the supporting cast, but there's no loving way Dany dies in childbirth and has poo poo thrown at her corpse, or that all these beloved badasses all die in the same random explosion. It's not that it's bad, it's that it's monumentally off-voice for D&D.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
How does Bronn not die in the kings landing explosion with Jaime? I would guess he goes on a side quest to save tyene and they make it out somehow

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So who kills the Night King in the S8 spoilers? It just says Viseron gets stabbed in the mouth by gendry and no mention of the NK.

also I have trouble believing that they would have a character like Daenary's hung up naked and pelted with poo poo.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Away all Goats posted:

So who kills the Night King in the S8 spoilers? It just says Viseron gets stabbed in the mouth by gendry and no mention of the NK.

also I have trouble believing that they would have a character like Daenary's hung up naked and pelted with poo poo.

It would make people hate Euron for sure

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the leaks are fake but D&D will use them anyway because theyre lazy and poo poo writers so who cares

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah, that reads more like what one of the regulars in here would write in their fanfiction.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Z. Autobahn posted:

The only person who died in the sept explosion who remotely counts as a 'fan favorite' was Margaery, and she's nowhere on the level of Jon, The Hound, Jorah, etc. I'm sure they'll clean house of a lot of the supporting cast, but there's no loving way Dany dies in childbirth and has poo poo thrown at her corpse, or that all these beloved badasses all die in the same random explosion. It's not that it's bad, it's that it's monumentally off-voice for D&D.

I don't believe the spoilers at all but these are two show runners who have looked at the current status of society and the political climate and decided that they want to make a show where a sympathetic Confederacy won the Civil War. Nothing is too stupid for them.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't believe the spoilers at all but these are two show runners who have looked at the current status of society and the political climate and decided that they want to make a show where a sympathetic Confederacy won the Civil War. Nothing is too stupid for them.

Again, it's not the fact that it's stupid, it's that it's stupid in a specific way that doesn't line up with their brand of stupidity.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

WampaLord posted:

I watched one of the Preston Jacob videos and he answered my question about how loving fast are ravens.

170 mph! :eng101:

30-60mph, 170mph in short bursts when diving downwards. :eng101:

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Also, an ending in which Dany dies in loving CHILDBIRTH and her corpse is violated so that Jon can be the avenging dragon-rider is one that will generate so many hot take thinkpieces it'll critically overload the internet and revert us all to a new dark age.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 21, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't Tyene dead from the poison kiss at this point?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lezard_valeth posted:

Night King invades Winterfell. Bran, Pod, Tormund, Meera and Rhaegal die here. Heroes retreat South. Meanwhile Cersei and Euron get the Golden Company into Storm's End.

Theon takes back Pyke. Euron goes back to Pyke and kills Theon. Night King fucks around Pyke for a bit.

Night King invades the Vale. Jon, Jaime, Gendry and Bronn kill him. Brienne dies. Meanwhile Daenerys dies giving birth to Jon's child. Sam hides baby. Golden Company takes Daenerys' body.

Arya kills Cersei. Hound and Nymeria kill the Mountain. Euron is crowned king. He hangs Dany's rotting body to a gate and peasants fling poo at her.

Jon, Jaime and others charge into King's Landing. Euron shoots down Drogon, who lands in the Dragonpit. Jon and Jaime fight and kill Euron. Drogon accidentally sets a cache of wildfire ablaze. Dragonpit explodes and everyone dies.

-Timeskip to 3 years later-

Arya fucks off to Essos.

Sansa marries Gendry and they rule the North, the Vale and Storm's End.

Edmure rules Riverrun. Probably episode will have a previously on to remind people who the gently caress Edmure was.

Bronn marries Tyene and they rule Dorne.

Sam gets the Reach.

Yara rules the Iron Islands.

Dany and Jon's daughter gets crowned ruler of the 7 kingdoms. Tyrion rules in her place till she comes of age. Tyrion fucks Missandei. He drops the show's title.

A White Walker is taking Bran's corpse to an altar where he is reborn as the Night King. Winter is coming.

I like that Sansa rules the Vale too for no reason. Hell, her and Gendry own almost half of Westeros

also lol titty snake not being dead. Qyburn brewed some weak rear end poison

e: "break the wheel" :laugh:

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
i like that Edmure is hanging around fighting with everyone during the season.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Blitz7x posted:

It would make people hate Euron for sure

Would make me like Euron even more

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

These S8 spoilers are some of the dumbest poo poo I have ever read, I don't even know what to say. It's a real disgrace. There is no resolution coming, no closure. GRRM is gonna die and the whole saga will forever remain unfinished. HBO will sit on the rights for all eternity, making GBS threads out generic expanded universe crap every year till the heat death of the universe. Tits and dragons, tits and dragons, tits and dragons, TITS and DRAGONS

I hope this embarrassing shitstain of a show finale at least motivates GRRM to get out one last book.

I'm gonna go to bed and cry myself to sleep now, byea

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

These S8 spoilers are some of the dumbest poo poo I have ever read, I don't even know what to say. It's a real disgrace. There is no resolution coming, no closure. GRRM is gonna die and the whole saga will forever remain unfinished. HBO will sit on the rights for all eternity, making GBS threads out generic expanded universe crap every year till the heat death of the universe. Tits and dragons, tits and dragons, tits and dragons, TITS and DRAGONS

I hope this embarrassing shitstain of a show finale at least motivates GRRM to get out one last book.

I'm gonna go to bed and cry myself to sleep now, byea

Good lord, how can you get this worked up over fake spoilers?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The Free Folk subreddit says they're fake and I trust them.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Drogon blowing himself up alongside anyone anybody likes by attacking kings landing and hitting the wildfire stockpile absolutely lines up with the nukes metaphor.

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
One thing I found stupendously amazing about Westeros (especially the North of the Wall part) is how slow and fast at the same time water freezes.
When our heroes ran onto the ice, that has been frozen presumably since the show started, it began to crack and lots of dead things fell in.
After they made it to the island and a rock was thrown at the white walkers they ran out onto the ice, that happened to freeze thicker in 24 hours than it had since winter came, and didn't fall through in spite of the fact their entire dead army was standing on it.

Wyatt Derp fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 22, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Our heroes are also hilariously immune to frostbite despite constantly wandering around hatless in blizzards at night on the tundra with no shelter whatsoever. Makes you wonder why anyone worries about winter frankly.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

Our heroes are also hilariously immune to frostbite despite constantly wandering around hatless in blizzards at night on the tundra with no shelter whatsoever. Makes you wonder why anyone worries about winter frankly.

This has always made me laugh. I get that you need to see the actors faces but wasn't Qhorin like, the only person to ever wear a hat north of the wall?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The main problem with the leaks is that in order for an ending to be considered "bittersweet" at least one character the audience is invested on should survive so that the audience can go "oh s/he got what s/he always wanted, but at what cost?"

None of the characters that survive in the lesks can, at this point, be counted as characters the audience is invested on.

Not counting Bronn, ofc, and he gets the happiest ending apparently

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
real, actual spoilers were leaked to the internet before. that means all new spoilers must be real too

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think that the spoilers are within the realm of possibility given what the show has done already - I think that they're dumb conclusions to the stories being told, but I'm past looking for closure on this series. Regardless of what actually is in the next season I'll have fun watching this trainwreck finish, it certainly looks like they're going to undercut every theme the books were setting up so that's going to be fun.

Yaas queen slay for hereditary monarchy break the wheel!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like that Sansa rules the Vale too for no reason. Hell, her and Gendry own almost half of Westeros

going by book details, Sansa might legit be pretty high in the line of succession to the Vale

she's sweetrobin's only surviving first cousin

she's kin to a bunch of Vale houses due to some Stark/Royce marraiges a few generations past. This includes the Waynwoods, who are Harry the Heir's main backers and, are, irrc, the house through which Harry gets his thirdhand Arryn birthright.

I'm sure everybody would prefer Harry the Heir (male, raised in the Vale, more recent female-line descent from Arryn) but after him I don't think there would be too many people in front of Sansa.

I imagine Littlefinger's plan in the books is to have Sansa produce an heir via Harry, then kill Harry and have Sansa rule as regent through a combination of her own blood claim and that of her child.

but Harry doesn't exist in the show, so they might just throw out "she's sweetrobin's cousin" and leave it at that, ignoring the male-line/female line distinction.
Many viewers have probably forgotten that Lysa was Cat's sister and a Riverlander, anyway, and just think of her as "Lysa Arryn, the crazy breastfeeding lady who Littlefinger killed".

It's more baffling that Sansa would marry Gendry (who, i believe, she has never spoken to) rather than some useful Northerner or a vale lordling who could cement her dubious claims.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Isn't Tyene dead from the poison kiss at this point?

the fake spoilers don't name Tyene, just "one of oberyns daughters"
might be one of the other sand snakes who were too smart to get caught being on this show

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 22, 2017

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

kater posted:

Drogon blowing himself up alongside anyone anybody likes by attacking kings landing and hitting the wildfire stockpile absolutely lines up with the nukes metaphor.

I think the leaks are fake but yeah this would line up with GRRM's motivations for the dragon allegory part of the story.

skasion posted:

This bothers me way more than teleporting ravens or whatever. Every one of those dudes would have hypothermia by the end of their one day adventure in north of the Wall.

People are using this to prop up the "Bran will be the new NK thing" but several northerners dress like this (Ned, Arya, a bunch of Night's Watch people, etc) so I think it's just keeping in line with the northern designs. Or maybe the NK is an ancient Stark, although I think his origin predates the Stark line by at least a generation so who knows.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The leaks are fake except dnd will read them and then use them instead of whatever turd gurm shits out, thereby creating a paradox

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Would riding an open topped aerial vehicle at mach 2 for 3000 miles give you health complications?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

JBP posted:

Would riding an open topped aerial vehicle at mach 2 for 3000 miles give you health complications?

every 10 miles drogon breathes fire and they fly through it to keep warm

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah but wouldn't doing 2500kph pull your face off?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

JBP posted:

Yeah but wouldn't doing 2500kph pull your face off?

This is an exceptionally stupid thing to be worrying about in a fantasy show with goddamned dragons.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

quote:

We end with a scene in the far far North, in the Lands of Always Winter. A single White Walker rides to and brings the body of Bran Stark to an altar. Remember that the Night King stabbed Bran in episode 2. He was stabbed in the heart with Dragonglass. He performs a certain ritual and Bran opens his eyes. They’re bright blue. The White Walker puts a crown on Bran’s head and the altar slowly changes into one of ice. Winter is coming…

Holy poo poo, if this really was how the series ended I would crack up. Entirely pointless. :lol:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

While we're picking nits, it's also hilarious that Dany has no kind of saddle or binding to stay on Drogon's back given the maneuvers she does with him. She just kind of...holds on. Girl must have absolutely insane thigh strength.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

grack posted:

This is an exceptionally stupid thing to be worrying about in a fantasy show with goddamned dragons.

Do you think the people on the ground contemplate why they are constantly hearing sonic booms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

skasion posted:

While we're picking nits, it's also hilarious that Dany has no kind of saddle or binding to stay on Drogon's back given the maneuvers she does with him. She just kind of...holds on. Girl must have absolutely insane thigh strength.

it bugs me because many shots of Drogon have sorta lingered on his big sharp nasty back-spines

so whenever dany is up there, I have to wonder about whether those spikes are you know, loving her up

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 22, 2017

• Locked thread