Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Third World Reggin posted:

lol good luck electing competent civilians for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

quote:

“Our troops will fight to win,” he said. “From now on, victory will have a clear definition: attacking our enemies, obliterating ISIS, crushing al-Qaeda, preventing the Taliban from taking over the country, and stopping mass terror attacks against Americans before they emerge.”

From here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.fe16e57061b7

I'll give Trump credit- with clearly defined goals like those (first time ever?), the war in Afghanistan finally stands a chance of being won.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

suboptimal posted:

I'll give Trump credit- with clearly defined goals like those (first time ever?), the war in Afghanistan finally stands a chance of being won.

Sarcasm, right?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm half-expecting him to invade Western Pakistan.

I mean, gently caress Pakistan but that's a terrible idea.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The bottom line to all this is that McMaster/Mattis won the policy fight on Afghanistan behind-the-scenes, at least for now...

... until Trump's rally speech tomorrow in Phoenix that the Mayor of Phoenix has publicly asked him to cancel.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

facialimpediment posted:

... until Trump's rally speech tomorrow in Phoenix that the Mayor of Phoenix has publicly asked him to cancel.

Oh so that's when he's announcing Arpaio's pardon!

Did anyone tell him you usually stop campaigning - for a while anyway - after the election?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

One of the Steubenville rapists' dads got murked on the courthouse steps by the judge he was trying to assassinate. Probably as close to justice as that case will ever get, a win IMO

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder if this means we are gunna send artillery or troops into Pakistan now.

Like let's say on the border you see them spotting or setting up rockets/mortars or your in hot pursuit of some people who just fired on you....What's the call?

We deferring that one out to battlefield commanders

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

One of the Steubenville rapists' dads got murked on the courthouse steps by the judge he was trying to assassinate. Probably as close to justice as that case will ever get, a win IMO

Link?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Cmon guys, like we haven't been partying like it is Laos 1965 for years now.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2017-08-21/judge-shot-wounded-near-ohio-courthouse-suspect-killed

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

http://www.thedailybeast.com/steubenville-rapists-dad-shot-judge-two-weeks-after-son-was-bounced-from-college-football

-e-
oh come on

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Trump said in that one speech "I love war". He's just trying to piss off as many countries as he can until he gets his Jihad.

shame on an IGA posted:

Impressive, and yet unsurprising really, is that the Judge was packing and got five shots off before a Probation Officer busted the decisive cap in rapist's dad.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Back when I was in college, one of the visiting professors was a Colonel from the Argentine Air Force. One day, everyone who had an upper division Spanish class that period was in a lecture hall to watch a tourist film about Argentina. This was a thing the languages department did from time to time, to give a cultural overview of Latin American countries. During the film, the presenter visited the Plaza de Mayo, and gave a brief explanation of the silent protest of the Madres de Plaza de Mayo, the Dirty War, the atrocities, the disappearances. At the end of the film, the lights go up, and all eyes turn to the Argentine Colonel. I can't remember his exact words, but he said that it had been a different time. There had been terrorism and guerrilla bands, and the people of the nation had gone a little mad, doing crazy things in the name of security. He told us he had been a young cadet only in the last year of the dictatorship, and that people hadn't realized how bad it was until years later. This would have been in 2006 or so; dark days in Iraq, only a few years removed from Abu Ghraib, from Extraordinary Rendition and Enhanced Interrogation. People were realizing that Guantanamo Bay was full of low level people who the Pakistanis had traded for bounties, not the "worst of the worst." I had a moment of perfect clarity, listening to him talk. I knew if I took my commission, signed under the hand of George W. Bush, I was going to have to answer those questions one day, about why I agreed to serve a government so tainted by the stain of torture and lawlessness.

Now though, I'm pretty sure I'll be telling kids "No, I wasn't involved in all that stuff you're asking about. I left the service in 2014, before things got crazy."

Waroduce posted:

Man conditions on the ground make me feel like they're going for a McNamara type approach where it's gunna be all about stats. Echoes of nam?
Has it ever not been since, like, 2003? That was all anyone cared about in the four years I cycled through.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Congrats, we're plussing up AFPAK HANDS
:bisonyes:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

suboptimal posted:

“Our troops will fight to win,” he said. “From now on, victory will have a clear definition: attacking our enemies, obliterating ISIS, crushing al-Qaeda, preventing the Taliban from taking over the country, and stopping mass terror attacks against Americans before they emerge.”

From here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.fe16e57061b7

He DOES know that the Tribal region is where 90% of the Taliban and ISIS dudes are shacking up, and that the Tribal regions are there because three separate Afghani and Pakistani governments tried and failed to govern them, so they threw their hands up and said 'gently caress it'?

If we dropped 5 bunker busters a day for 10 years straight, we still wouldn't get every cave and rat hole they're hiding out it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

But we'll get every single non-combatant, NGO worker, and livestock!

:yum:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I was really afraid my children and grandchildren won't get a chance to fight there, but now we have a real leader in charge! :)

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Congrats, we're plussing up AFPAK HANDS

:perfect:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Had a colonel genuinely bewildered at me when I told him I did not want to do afpak hands

Idk, maybe it was the first time someone actually told him the truth? I always forget you're supposed to lie about what you want to do

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

shame on an IGA posted:

There were a few convictions in that case, I thought?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

They served the minimum time which was a year.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Wowza.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
According to CNN the destroyer lost steerage just before the collision.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Well then someone is getting hosed for gundecking maintenance logs.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

welp good luck guys

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ded posted:

That makes sense. It loving sucks, too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ded posted:

ouch. losing steerage in a busy shipping lane is one of any seafarer's worst nightmares

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

That speech has Gorka's fingerprints all over it.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

BUG JUG posted:

That speech has Gorka's fingerprints all over it.

So... Greasy little swastikas everywhere?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

So... Greasy little swastikas everywhere?

Goddamn paprika on everything

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Gorka gorka reagan jihad

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Divers have found some of the missing sailors from the McCain. No word on how many.

Remains Found in Search for US Sailors Missing After Collision

:smith:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Third World Reggin posted:

lol good luck convincing civilians of that

That's how it's worked for like, drat near ever. If the psychotic fucks that made up AF leadership after WW2 had gotten their way the whole world would be a nuclear crater right now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Sarcasm, right?

Ohhhhhh yeah.

Barnett Rubin, one of the country's best scholars on Afghanistan, had a good Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/BRRubin/status/899806565255000064

In the run up to this speech, there was a lot of chatter about Afghanistan's mineral deposits. I for sure thought Trump was going to say something about us taking a cut as a "deal" for our military commitment.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ejmalrai/status/899985452459061248

:getin:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

suboptimal posted:

In the run up to this speech, there was a lot of chatter about Afghanistan's mineral deposits. I for sure thought Trump was going to say something about us taking a cut as a "deal" for our military commitment.

I think Trump was screamed at by everyone to not go off-script in the slightest during that speech. It helped that it wasn't a typical rally crowd, so he didn't really have one of his crazy crowds to pander to, so he read the speech roughly verbatim.

Which means that tonight's rally speech has a high likelihood of being loving insane. He always lashes out after having to do something he doesn't want to do or gets bad news. I think he's going to get really lovely television ratings news today, like how potentially fewer people watched his Afghanistan speech than the last Obama primetime address.

So yesterday was the sanitized version. Today he probably starts yelling about how he's going to take all of Afghanistan's oil, confusing it with Iraq.

Edit: oh hey they're sending a babysitter https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/899766131799408640

For reference, I've already heard that Arpaio isn't attending the speech.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 22, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

I think Trump was screamed at by everyone to not go off-script in the slightest during that speech. It helped that it wasn't a typical rally crowd, so he didn't really have one of his crazy crowds to pander to, so he read the speech roughly verbatim.

Which means that tonight's rally speech has a high likelihood of being loving insane. He always lashes out after having to do something he doesn't want to do or gets bad news. I think he's going to get really lovely television ratings news today, like how potentially fewer people watched his Afghanistan speech than the last Obama primetime address.

So yesterday was the sanitized version. Today he probably starts yelling about how he's going to take all of Afghanistan's oil, confusing it with Iraq.

Today is when he says confederate generals were real patriots.

All the ingredients are there. Afghanistan, Sheriff Joe, Nazi rally, his supporters generally liking confederate statues, his detractors hating them.

It's going to happen.

I toxxed a week probie that it would happen before the end of the week but tonight is when it would probably be best to push all my chips in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Some rando soldier loots a relic or antiquity or valuable item or cultural item for his own personal gain or collection? Probably return it.

A unit captures a guidon or flag or other such item, turns it in to the government, and the government displays it? gently caress you, we won.

The Romans bragged about capturing standards 2500 years ago. Normally I'd poo poo on Minnesota, but in this case VA can get hosed.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wonder if over the next three and a half years they're gonna be able to contain Trump to just lots of little dumb macho gestures here and there or if he's no poo poo gonna kick off an exciting new war. Love that new war smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

The Romans bragged about capturing standards 2500 years ago. Normally I'd poo poo on Minnesota, but in this case VA can get hosed.
You live in Utah, willingly.

• Locked thread