Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, that's a thing of beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This is fantastic.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
God drat it. Some jackass stole my gas pressure washer, full gas cans, and my sons skate board. We had the pressure washer out to clean one of the buildings for paint. I told myself this weekend I really should put that stuff out of site from the road. Welp. Now I have a good excuse to build that fence.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Aww yeah! Just fired up my motor after replacing the head gasket. Turns out H6 Outbacks sound pretty good sans headers.
Took 20-30 seconds of cranking (in 5 second goes) to build oil pressure but fired up on the first bump when the fuel pump fuse was installed.
One of the fuel injectors was leaking. Amazingly, I had an appropriately sized o-ring in a 3,000-piece HF kit.
Everything was coming up Milhouse, but I forgot to hook up the trans cooler so I ended up coating the front of my fresh motor in ATF.:doh:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
THe totality went right over my house and seeing 100% was pretty amazing and I hate everything

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

A couple of years ago I bought a little handmade solar projector off of a guy in Illinois - a friend knew him somehow and bought one, I thought it sounded cool so I emailed the dude and snagged his last one. If you get it just right, you can easily see sunspots. I played with it a bit, got bored and stored it away. Yesterday I was trying to figure out who I was going to borrow a welding mask from, when I remembered my pricey little impulse buy. Dug it out, took it to work and entertained a bunch of coworkers who also hadn't bought any eclipse glasses. We also scared up a welding helmet. It didn't get noticeably darker in SoCal, but the temperature dropped and a good time was had by all.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

A couple of years ago I bought a little handmade solar projector off of a guy in Illinois - a friend knew him somehow and bought one, I thought it sounded cool so I emailed the dude and snagged his last one. If you get it just right, you can easily see sunspots. I played with it a bit, got bored and stored it away. Yesterday I was trying to figure out who I was going to borrow a welding mask from, when I remembered my pricey little impulse buy. Dug it out, took it to work and entertained a bunch of coworkers who also hadn't bought any eclipse glasses. We also scared up a welding helmet. It didn't get noticeably darker in SoCal, but the temperature dropped and a good time was had by all.

That's actually pretty drat cool!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I just got back from the middle of the Idaho desert and totality was one of the most mind-blowing things I've seen in my life. Partials even 90-plus percent have absolutely nothing on totality. It was loving amazing.

I took a video and a couple of pictures which I still haven't looked at but the experience was incredible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
No totality here, just about a half width partial. If the world's still around in 2024 I'm probably going to spend the money to go see the totality then at Niagara Falls.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm still processing totality. We had 2.5 mins of darkness, and it was amazing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What in the name of good is this airdam carbra?:

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Just figured out that the next viable totality for me will be April 8th 2024 directly over my family's farm in Vermont. Be there or be square. (seriously we have 400 acres to post up on - weather permitting).

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

I guess it would work like the dubious bug-flectors on 90's trucks?
Needs more Kilroy tho -

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yeah my wife and I took off work yesterday and drove 4 hours to see totality. It was really neat and a good excuse to take a day off together and have a little adventure. Get bent eclipse haters.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

The sun doesn't flicker. Auto-darkening welding helmets trigger on that flickering light you get from welding, or so I've been told.

That does seem to be the case with the HF one. I could flick it up quickly, and it would darken, but not stay that way, even on the most sensitive setting with the most delay.

kimbo305 posted:

A lot of them used to have something like that, to keep the hood portion on. The fender/bumper bit you could strap on pretty well, but the hood bit was more difficult to keep in place, ergo: help from the wind.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I did not watch the eclipse but it seemed cool, if overhyped. It was only a partial here anyway. Seemed overcast outside during that time. :shrug:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Larrymer posted:

I did not watch the eclipse but it seemed cool, if overhyped. It was only a partial here anyway. Seemed overcast outside during that time. :shrug:

Partial Eclipse is a it meh. As it has been stated Totality is a different thing entirely.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I think a little bit of the eclipse hype is about understanding what is means for the human race and our growth as a technological society. A long time ago some smart cunts firgured out it means the world is round. That means the moon moves around the earth moves around the sun moves around the.... (look those Greek (whoever) dudes were pretty smart, maybe they didn't need an eclipse to work it out)

I think it's pretty drat cool. I was very jealous I didn't get to see it. It's a cultural touchstone, they don't come about that often, especially totality. Enjoy it!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slothrop posted:

I think a little bit of the eclipse hype is about understanding what is means for the human race and our growth as a technological society. A long time ago some smart cunts firgured out it means the world is round. That means the moon moves around the earth moves around the sun moves around the.... (look those Greek (whoever) dudes were pretty smart, maybe they didn't need an eclipse to work it out)

I think it's pretty drat cool. I was very jealous I didn't get to see it. It's a cultural touchstone, they don't come about that often, especially totality. Enjoy it!

And yet, there are still twats who believe that the Earth is flat, somehow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darchangel posted:

And yet, there are still twats who believe that the Earth is flat, somehow.

Willful ignorance is a pretty amazing thing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really think a lot of these flat earth people online are just trolling

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

That would actually be the best case scenario. In truth, I honestly believe that there are that many people who just flat out do WILL not understand how science, evidence, deductive reasoning, etc. actually work.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Modern flat-earthers are like the perfect example of Poe's Law in action.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've had a mad busy few months but am now only a couple of hours of doing accounts away from getting 12 days off.

However, I am also currently owed almost 50% of my total expected annual business turnover in outstanding invoices, some of which are now at over 120 days old on 30 day invoices.

95% of my clients are UK government funded schools. Fuckin' excellent work UK...

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I thought it was just an internet thing but I've been seeing flat earth graffiti in Scotland :stonk:

These are just the two I've seen... there is a bunch at the side of the road going up the A9. I really hope it's just somebody trolling IRL because that's quite funny as opposed to depressing.

Edit: Oh god it's real

stump fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 22, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you told me that last one was a set list for a music festival, I really wouldn't know any better.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

I've had a mad busy few months but am now only a couple of hours of doing accounts away from getting 12 days off.

However, I am also currently owed almost 50% of my total expected annual business turnover in outstanding invoices, some of which are now at over 120 days old on 30 day invoices.

95% of my clients are UK government funded schools. Fuckin' excellent work UK...

Are you invoice factoring?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

what the gently caress is antarctica

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

The wall that keeps all the water from flowing off the edges

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BraveUlysses posted:

Always remember the first rule of trolling. If you pretend to be an idiot loud enough and long enough, you are indistinguishable from an idiot.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Flat earthers claim that Antarctica is a conspiracy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Forgive me AI, for I have sinned.

I used a Fram oil filter on my mother's car. :suicide:

(at least it was the silver tough guard instead of the orange extra guard...)

The only other option Walmart had in stock for her car was a Mobil 1 filter.. at $20. We change the oil on her car every 5k, since 1MZ-FE = sludge magnet.

e: I bought them at 11pm, it's not like I could just go down the street to O'Reilly's or Autozone. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a case of OEM or Wix filters for both of our cars.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 23, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I went all in on the Fram hate when those reports came out, but over time I've realized that while it is lovely that Fram charges so much for a poor product... it isn't that poor, functionally. Given how many filters Fram makes for other brands, and how many filters they sell directly to customers, it seems like if their designs were horribly flawed there would be loads of dead engines and nobody would buy Fram.

Instead, they are built to a price, but still work well enough that it doesn't get blamed if the engine does die.

I'll still avoid orange cans and I'll only buy Fram if the price is right, but it doesn't make sense to ban them for life.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Could be worse days to be at work I suppose.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll still avoid orange cans and I'll only buy Fram if the price is right, but it doesn't make sense to ban them for life.

Yeah.. in this case my only options for her car were Fram extra guard (orange), Fram tough guard (silver), Fram ultra synthetic, and Mobil 1. The ultra synthetic price was :laffo: (on par with the Mobil 1 filter), Mobil 1 was equally high. The tough guard claimed it was good for 10k miles, and she runs her oil for ~5k. Extra guard claims 95% filtration and 3-5k miles, tough guard claims 99% and up to 10k.

For my car, the options that were in stock were Supertech, AC Delco, and Fram tough guard. The Supertech and AC Delco filters look identical, and Google has suggested they're both the same Champion filters, but the two Supertech filters I ran were collapsed when I pulled them out (cartridge filter on my car), while the AC Delco ones seem to hold up better. Supertech doesn't make any claims about filtration, but BITOG forums suggest the AC Delco is around 98%.

I did find out (after purchase) that buying Mobil 1 oil + Mobil 1 filter would get me a $17 mail in rebate. Buying just the oil gets me $12 (already knew about that one). That $12 covers more than half the cost of the oil though - it was $22.88 (+ tax) per 5 quart jug.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 23, 2017

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

So the wife's new hoopty '99 Malibu has the 2.4 twin cam. Oil change is coming up this weekend when I'm off, aside from timing chains and everything else wiki and STR told me, what do I need to look for?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, geeze. I have no idea how long it's been since the last oil change in the Crown Vic. Guess I'd better check my records when I get home this evening.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Makes total sense.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I drove down to Greenville, SC to see the eclipse on Monday. Seriously, seeing a totality with the naked eye is something completely different than a partial eclipse through glasses. It was absolutely unbelievable and I am so glad we did it. One more thing to cross off of our bucket list.

The traffic however, was not cool. Greenville would normally be a 90 minute drive.

The trip down took three hours.

The trip back took five and a half. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Christ, took over 50 minutes to find parking today. Missed my first class, now i have a massive headache and absolutely everywhere one can reasonably sit and do work is completely packed full of loud-rear end freshmen laughing and screaming about whatever bullshit.

Can't wait to be loving done with this place.

• Locked thread