Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't remember James being such a wuss

I knew he was kind of a wuss, but drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I like how the Twin Peaks jail now has two magical beings and three morons

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

hawowanlawow posted:

Carrying on the proud tradition of Ed's glass jaw

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

multijoe posted:

So, a lot of interesting and weird stuff happened today, but I think know what the real take away from tonight was:

Ed and Norma.

ED AND NORMA!

ED AND NORMA!!!

It finally happened!!

Ed's little smirk while his eyes are closed and then Norma's hand coming into frame was just absolutely perfect.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

hawowanlawow posted:

He’s an adult now. He can’t always count on soap opera characters killing each other to get out of trouble.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I'm probably completely wrong here, but for me this season seems like it's more for David Lynch fans and people who liked FWWM then it is for simple folk like me who liked the original series

You can't be wrong about what you like and don't like. This is definitely a season for lynch fans. There are at least as many references to his other movies as there are to the original series, which is pretty awesome for me, but probably does nothing for you.

There's also a tendency among lynch fans to overlook the fact that the original series was at least 60% an honest to god prime time soap opera and some people actually like that sort of thing.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

hawowanlawow posted:

And a troll. Don't forget him being a (possibly unintentional) troll.

I mean seriously - he approaches this couple who he's clearly hosed with in the past, then says "I just really like her" after that dude threatened him a few times and got up to be even more threatening. What was James trying to accomplish?
I actually felt bad for the two guys who got one-punched into critical condition.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I'm probably completely wrong here, but for me this season seems like it's more for David Lynch fans and people who liked FWWM then it is for simple folk like me who liked the original series

I wasn't a huge fan of the second half of the second season and FWWM either, but for some reason this season has been stellar and is probably on par with the first season, in it's own way of course.
I actually think it does a great job of forming its own entity separate from S1, S2 and FWWM.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DevCore posted:

I mean seriously - he approaches this couple who he's clearly hosed with in the past, then says "I just really like her" after that dude threatened him a few times and got up to be even more threatening. What was James trying to accomplish?
I actually felt bad for the two guys who got one-punched into critical condition.
Well, they went out of their way to tell us that James had a bike accident and is "slow" now, so chalk some of the social faux pas up to that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

J_RBG posted:

The Audrey scenes are clearly not in the usual space we see events unfold but in some weird uncanny side-place. There's a reason they're secluded off from referencing pretty much anything else in the show beyond their own internal ruleset (e.g. characters we've never heard of). I was kind of creeped out by the way Charlie said "here at the threshold" instead of "here at the door" like a normal person as well. And whoever noted the Beckett style parallel pretty much has it right though it's less open about its nihilism. That said, we never see the progression that makes the scenes possible, instead we cut straight into a moment of stagnation and the failure to progress. It's frustrating on purpose.
I think Audrey's significance might be that she's calling people into existence through her weird dream. Billy, Chuck, Tina and so on suddenly exist due to her.

The Walrus posted:

because that sound effect is used *constantly* through this series and i was wrong, that comparison starts mid-scene just like the crawling cooper one. It's just a cool coincidence.
I think the original one was very convincing. Cooper is only in the box while the guy who is meant to be guarding it is out of the room (IE, the only time when it really made sense for him to be there), and the sound effect being used for Naido was very noticeable and out of place.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DevCore posted:

To be fair, that Chuck guy clearly has issues. He responds to James saying "hi" to Renee like Mike would in the original show. That's not a rational response to something that wouldn't be called flirting outside of grammar school.

I mean, I feel bad for them getting so destroyed, but they weren't the good guys in the situation.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BH7yDBQaS8

syncs up, similar to naido and the experiment chopping poo poo up.
Maybe I'm missing something but is there syncing here that's more specific than just "crawling leads to a scream" or is that it? Doesn't seem like anything else in the scene really requires the scream in both scenes to line up in order to have anything else line up, which would normally insinuate there is something else that syncs up within a second.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Is the theory with Audrey that she's in a coma from the bank explosion? And everything going on with her now is her trying to wake up?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's one theory, and if it wasn't for other characters mentioning Billy and Tina it's one I would subscribe to 100%.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is the theory with Audrey that she's in a coma from the bank explosion? And everything going on with her now is her trying to wake up?
"We are like the dreamer who dreams, and then lives inside the dream. But who is the dreamer?”
:tinfoil:

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.
The bald, bearded woodsman seen in this episode was not only seen at the Abe Lincoln Woodsman's road stop, but also the one who killed Bill Hastings.

I thought, at first, the woman above the convenience store was Buella. Seems I was wrong.

I'm at a complete loss in trying to attach any significance to Duncan Todd's death or his character. Even Anthony Sinclair was more afraid of the bad cops, who worked for Todd, than Todd himself. Duncan seems weirdly pointless, but I suspect I'm just missing the point.

An Audrey and Charlie scene is just what I needed after Margaret's farewell scene. It was the exact opposite of how I felt during the transition from Big Ed/ Norma to Cooper doppelgänger.

I won't miss Steven at all, but I never knew Mark Frost appeared in the series in any season. Can anyone post a screen cap of him from season 2?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

End of series: Bad Cooper's continued bungled attempts to murder Dougie end up bringing down/killing all organized crime in Vegas, FBI gives him a commendation and welcomes him back.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm legit worried about what will become of The Log.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It will turn to gold and then hopefully made into some high quality shovels

I wonder if the log turning to gold was referring to something similar to the Dougie Jones situation. Perhaps it was a vessel to catch her husband's spirit after he passed so that he could pass on sagely advice.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

When I watched FWIM I knew that it was the series with the kiddie gloves off, the show without the soap opera trappings. Like stuff in the show that's just glossed over like Bobby,Laura, and Leo being into drugs was thrown right into your face. I really enjoyed it though I thought it was gonna be worse than it was. It still felt restrained and I could tell there had been troubles. Had more of the Laura stuff from TMP been in and they expanded on certain stuff it could be even better. The shows depiction of what happened to her and Ronnette and her death was way better and what I expected from the movie. That's just me nitpicking though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think when Cooper does return to being Cooper (surely it's going to happen when we next see him) it's gonna be interesting to see how he reacts to what remains of the Jones family. Coop obviously doesn't know Janey-E despite her being Diane's sister, because if he did then she'd be wondering why her husband looks exactly like him... but maybe if he hears the last name he'll put two and two together. This is all assuming that he will return to being the Coop we knew, and not some new iteration of Coop that's changed and different.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I get the feeling Coop will retain all of his memories from his time as Dougie and will decide to live as Dougie rather than try to clear his name.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I don't even like coffee!

Well there's your problem right there

Edit: THE problem, sorry

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground

CJacobs posted:

I think when Cooper does return to being Cooper (surely it's going to happen when we next see him) it's gonna be interesting to see how he reacts to what remains of the Jones family. Coop obviously doesn't know Janey-E despite her being Diane's sister, because if he did then she'd be wondering why her husband looks exactly like him... but maybe if he hears the last name he'll put two and two together. This is all assuming that he will return to being the Coop we knew, and not some new iteration of Coop that's changed and different.

I was honestly assuming he got zapped into the outlet and spit out somewhere else.

Do you think he'll wake up in the Jones house?

EDIT: I was rewatching the ep with subtitles and do y'all think the "new shoes" line from ZZ Top is the only Leo reference we're gonna get? :D

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Counteresperanto posted:

I won't miss Steven at all, but I never knew Mark Frost appeared in the series in any season. Can anyone post a screen cap of him from season 2?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Could be he just shocked himself and Janey-E calls 911 and he wakes up in the hospital and its all a big gently caress you to the audience, still Dougie!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I missed a bunch of posts, but i think cooper might return to the lodge, because dougie was a manufactured trap and he'll again try to reclaim his own body (booper). Agree/disagree?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

He is not in Dougie's body. Dougie got turned into a gold ball.

And Booper is the doppleganger, not Cooper's body.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 22, 2017

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I love this show so much.

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.

Perfect, thanks. That guy never even registered as a character in my mind. So I'm now surprised to learn that he not only has a name, but also that some people here recognized the character's name. I thought I was hardcore.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Counteresperanto posted:

Perfect, thanks. That guy never even registered as a character in my mind. So I'm now surprised to learn that he not only has a name, but also that some people here recognized the character's name. I thought I was hardcore.

I bet the upcoming book explains why he went from news reporter to living in a lovely trailer park.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

Was David bowie kettle in a dark version of the same motor inn type place that Leland met teresa banks working as a prostitute in FWWM?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ruddiger posted:

Ed's little smirk while his eyes are closed and then Norma's hand coming into frame was just absolutely perfect.

After watching him stare out the window so sadly, that scene brought a tear to the eye. At first I was like "oh no, no Ed... not again buddy, no". Then I was like "oh yeah, Ed and Norma, oh yeah come on, Ed's looking happy, he's YES, YES!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

pech posted:

Was David bowie kettle in a dark version of the same motor inn type place that Leland met teresa banks working as a prostitute in FWWM?

Yeah I believe it was.

e: I think it was mirrored.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

These audrey scenes are great. Hahaha. I loved that little man since he first just stared at audrey and wouldn't tell her what the phone said. That face.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

pech posted:

That seems to be one idea kicking around? I'm not entirely convinced myself but perhaps I need to take a closer look.

Also, I think Coop zapping himself like that might be another hint from the Red Room to avoid death. Hutch and Chantal show up, assume he's dead, and torture and kill Sonny Jim and Janey-E because they are that horrifically awful. Cooper comes to with all his memories and a dead family and some actual real motivation for hating and getting rid of his doppleganger.

Or maybe not. Gosh, I hope not.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Krinkle posted:

These audrey scenes are great. Hahaha. I loved that little man since he first just stared at audrey and wouldn't tell her what the phone said. That face.

I am going to laugh my rear end off when after all this theorizing, the series ends with Audrey finally walking outside and Hawk's just there like, "yeah Billy's dead".

End Twin Peaks, end Lynch.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Escobarbarian posted:

That's one theory, and if it wasn't for other characters mentioning Billy and Tina it's one I would subscribe to 100%.

I was also willing to go with it but Richard saying this week he recognized Coop from a picture his mom carried around - surely he wouldn't know anything about her carrying anything if she'd been in a coma his entire life.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I can't believe Dougie Jones is dead.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

CJacobs posted:

Wow that guy itt who called out that random staircase on the side of the building nearly 10 episodes ago was actually right

What's up, guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

esperterra posted:

It's worth noting Laura died in February 89. Do we have a specific month for the Jeffries scene in FWWM? I always assumed that was part of the 'sequel' aspect of the movie, but season 3 tells us dopple Coop disappeared from Twin Peaks without pretending to be Coop for very long.

So the FWWM scene would have been just before he left for TP, yeah? Either way Jeffries is clearly lost in time in some way, so he either thinks that Cooper was the bad one because he met him earlier (later), or he simply knew that Cooper would become a dopple or w/e.

Lynch has edited and written himself into a corner with this.

The scene in FWWM takes place in 1988. The extended version of the scene from TMP takes place in 1989. Part 15 seems to suggest that it took place in 1989, which throws the whole of FWWM and the series off by a year.