Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Trevor Hale posted:

Oh? Is Uber a giant white box?

no it's a giant white box with sky painted on the side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Breaking self-driving cars is going to involve some Wile E. Coyote poo poo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Neon Noodle posted:

Breaking self-driving cars is going to involve some Wile E. Coyote poo poo

Reminder that there have been actual humans fooled by this sort of thing.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jason Calacanis seems like the type of person who would invest in Juicero

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

eschaton posted:

see also: sniper.gif, spy.gif, sentry.gif etc. sprays in games

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

nachos posted:

Jason Calacanis seems like the type of person who would invest in Juicero

Everything Calacanis says about anything can safely be ignored.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
There's a company near my house that sells bottles of "cold pressed juice" for $10 each.

lol nope.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

eschaton posted:

Self driving cars are probably better at catching this than humans, given the whole lidar thing

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trevor Hale posted:

Oh? Is Uber a giant white box?

lol

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I mean I wish Americans had more 100% juice available to them at a reasonable like they drink in south and central america but nope. Big agra is not going to let that happen.

The only thing you can get is orange juice and maybe apple juice but it's mostly filtered (yuck).

Lol lets sell 16% juice with a mix of artificial fruit flavorings to people for $3 bucks a liter.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

JailTrump posted:

I mean I wish Americans had more 100% juice available to them at a reasonable like they drink in south and central america but nope. Big agra is not going to let that happen.

The only thing you can get is orange juice and maybe apple juice but it's mostly filtered (yuck).

Lol lets sell 16% juice with a mix of artificial fruit flavorings to people for $3 bucks a liter.

It's because that is what people legitimately want, unfortunately. Much like how ice cream is a bucket of emulsifiers and thickening agents and sugar goop with very little cream: because it sells.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rime posted:

It's because that is what people legitimately want, unfortunately. Much like how ice cream is a bucket of emulsifiers and thickening agents and sugar goop with very little cream: because it sells.

That's pretty much how ice cream has been made for over a century, and then before that was only a short time where it wasn't a rich person food (because of course, ice itself would be rather expensive out of season). Whining about "emulsifiers and thickening agents and sugar goop" is just silly, people were using all sorts of ways to get the same effect for a long time. Plain ice, cream, and salt with maybe some fruit juice or chunks thrown in isn't that appealing.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rime posted:

JailTrump posted:

For a thread which is constantly obsessing over how Silicon Valley companies are crapping on working class people, this recent tack where we vilify 'processed foods' is a little out-of-tune. Adding stuff to food (salt is an old-fashioned example) helps it keep longer, makes it easier to ship, and thus helps lower cost. The price of most foods, adjusted for inflation, has actually dropped since before the term 'processed food' existed.

Agricultural businesses are kind of the anti-Uber or anti-Airbnb or anti-Juicero. One would think that in this thread, which is ostensibly concerned with the plight of working class people, we would be applauding companies which help lower the cost of vital, non-frivolous products that everybody needs.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 22, 2017

feller
Jul 5, 2006

eschaton posted:

can you link me an article about a tunnel painted onto a rock wall with a road inexplicably leading up to it please

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yoyoyo check out the new craze in Silicon Valley disrupting the ocean with the foilz

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/...pe=sectionfront

quote:

“It’s like flying,” said Ariel Poler, a 50-year-old start-up investor, standing by the winged doors of his Tesla and pulling on body armor and a helmet. “The board doesn’t touch the water. It’s like an airplane wing.

Stop I can only get so erect

quote:

Stretching against his van was Johnny Heineken, 29, one of the world’s top foilers, and a mechanical engineer for Alphabet Inc.’s experimental technologies lab, X.

Johnny Heineken :wtc:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

JailTrump posted:

What about just fruit? Can't people just eat fruit? gently caress

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Steve French posted:

BIG AGRA makes fruit too cheap, people don't touch it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Steve French posted:

Everybody wants the Contra Code to nutrition and wealth. If it is readily available and everybody knows about it, how can it possibly be good for you? Unless you are harnessing that one weird trick then how are you going to be truly self-actualized in life?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Yoyoyo check out the new craze in Silicon Valley disrupting the ocean with the foilz

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/...pe=sectionfront

Stop I can only get so erect

Johnny Heineken :wtc:

“They took it to a different level,” Parlier said. “It’s not a very cheap sport, and people here are very wealthy, so it’s a good combination.”

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Everybody wants the Contra Code to nutrition and wealth. If it is readily available and everybody knows about it, how can it possibly be good for you? Unless you are harnessing that one weird trick then how are you going to be truly self-actualized in life?

I'm going to ignore the "wealth" bit because it has very little to do with fruit for the average american and say that health is not a zero sum game

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Senor Dog posted:

I'm going to ignore the "wealth" bit because it has very little to do with fruit for the average american and say that health is not a zero sum game

If that were true then there'd be zero market for diet pills, juicing, gimmick diets, Jenny Craig, etc.

Everybody wants a shortcut. It serves two functions; it is easier than the conventional method and makes the user feel smarter than all the other rubes. Look at every diet fad in the US in the last five decades.

Wealth is the same thing. If it weren't true, then Multi-level marketing wouldn't exist as a viable platform.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Steve French posted:

Fruit juice isn't really much healthier than any other form of sugar water. Take the fiber out of fruit, and it isn't really that great for you.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nm posted:

Fruit juice isn't really much healthier than any other form of sugar water. Take the fiber out of fruit, and it isn't really that great for you.

Yeah you can just make smoothies with some whole fruit, but mostly kale or whatever and it's much better

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

actionjackson posted:

Yeah you can just make smoothies with some whole fruit, but mostly kale or whatever and it's much better

Barbarian.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

nm posted:

Yeah, that's my point. What's the obsession with juice???

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Steve French posted:

It is sweet, doesn't require chewing, and you get to pretend it is healthier than a coke.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Steve French posted:

Is there really an obsession? I mean the whole reason the Juicero guys are the juicero guys is their old business of fancy juice "bars" went under due to lack of customers.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know vitamin water is lying to me about being healthy, but it's nice to have a sugar water alternative to juice or soda.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

Is there really an obsession? I mean the whole reason the Juicero guys are the juicero guys is their old business of fancy juice "bars" went under due to lack of customers.

I think so, yes. It is certainly not broad enough to fully support the businesses popping up to cater to it, but there is a reason they are appearing.

Call it poor word choice if you want, I'm not married to the word "obsession" if it's not fitting.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

JailTrump posted:

The most difficult place to find actual juice I've ever been was actually Brazil. Supermarkets have a million varieties of fruit "drinks" like you describe above, but very little 100% juice options. Even the OJ was very obviously sugared up. It was odd given how cheap and available fresh fruit was.

Mexico (Merida) was more or less like what I was familiar with in the US, but a few different types.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 22, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
No pasteurizationchat, please

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Warbadger posted:

The most difficult place to find actual juice I've ever been was actually Brazil. Supermarkets have a million varieties of fruit "drinks" like you describe above, but very little 100% juice options. Even the OJ was very obviously sugared up. It was odd given how cheap and available fresh fruit was.

Not surprising. Sugar cane is also cheap and available in Brazil.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

TheScott2K posted:

I wish the Awful app had notifications for when a Fishmech-involved derail ends
It does actually, there's just never been an opportunity to push the notification.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Warbadger posted:

Mexico (Merida) was more or less like what I was familiar with in the US, but a few different types.

In Mexico City it seemed like every major intersection had someone with a cart full of fruit making juice on the spot.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

No pasteurizationchat, please

You don't want mod challenges to drink juice?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

You don't want mod challenges to drink juice?

The mods hate juice. They're antismoothic. :smith:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Day Man posted:

Self driving cars are probably better at catching this than humans, given the whole lidar thing

No, they're worse considering the existence of adversarial data.

It's currently relatively easy to create images that image recognition neural nets will misclassify that humans would not, and defending against adversarial data is hard to impossible for neural networks

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The mods hate juice. They're antismoothic. :smith:

there is no juicetice in this world :smith:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nm posted:

It is sweet, doesn't require chewing, and you get to pretend it is healthier than a coke.

It kinda seems like it is to me. I drink way too much coke if I buy it, but don't over drink the juices I bought to replace it. I'd have drank a 12 pack of coke in less than 3 days, but I still have the apple juice I bought last week available.

I just find it less tempting to drink in lieu of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Condiv posted:

No, they're worse considering the existence of adversarial data.

It's currently relatively easy to create images that image recognition neural nets will misclassify that humans would not, and defending against adversarial data is hard to impossible for neural networks

Isn't this like saying, "We shouldn't have cars driven by people because of the existence of guns? One shot, and the vehicle goes careening everywhere."

Genuinely curious: is it possible to create such images that wouldn't stand out to a human observer? I.e. that would not look like something trying to mess up a self-driving car?