Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I think "Gratlashuns" is just the trolls being bad at spelling "congratulations", maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

someone awful. posted:

I think "Gratlashuns" is just the trolls being bad at spelling "congratulations", maybe?

Ohhh yeah that makes more sense that whatever I was thinking at the time.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
When you were looking for a secret door early on, at 02:58 it looked like there was an alcove or something really high up. Not sure how you'd reach that, though. Maybe with that levitate spell you mentioned later?

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Your sense of direction is terrible.

There's no secret door in that pit where you found the An rune but there was indeed a ledge. You can jump down from Sethar's room, as both the wall texturing and your map can tell you.

You won't need a mandolin but you will need a flute at some point.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how the dialogue with Rawstag goes if the Avatar is actually named Rodriguez. Knowing Ultima Underworld, it is probably accounted for.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Antistar01 posted:

When you were looking for a secret door early on, at 02:58 it looked like there was an alcove or something really high up. Not sure how you'd reach that, though. Maybe with that levitate spell you mentioned later?

Yep, plus the note in that room called it a "pit". Implying that the dead guy fell in, didn't find the secret door that you entered through, and died there.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
When you were struggling with trying to find the right keyword while talking to Lakshi, I was thinking, "The note said to tell my messenger your response." So what if we asked Lakshi about "response"? She will probably figure that we're the messenger, and blab the Bad Guy's secrets to us.

Didn't write down any notes this time through the video. If I missed anything important, I'll try to watch the video again and jot it down.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Claptain posted:

I wonder how the dialogue with Rawstag goes if the Avatar is actually named Rodriguez. Knowing Ultima Underworld, it is probably accounted for.
I'm about to make a cheesy second playthrough to check various secrets, I'll try that and report back.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Antistar01 posted:

turol posted:

Your sense of direction is terrible.

There's no secret door in that pit where you found the An rune but there was indeed a ledge. You can jump down from Sethar's room, as both the wall texturing and your map can tell you.

You won't need a mandolin but you will need a flute at some point.

I see what you guys mean. Wasn't looking for something that high up. And yeah my sense of direction is bad. It goes beyond the Abyss and into daily life. As for instruments, I think we may already have a flute in our inventory or stashed away. In fact, we'll might learn more about music in one of the next couple episodes depending on where exploration takes us.

Tax Refund posted:

When you were struggling with trying to find the right keyword while talking to Lakshi, I was thinking, "The note said to tell my messenger your response." So what if we asked Lakshi about "response"? She will probably figure that we're the messenger, and blab the Bad Guy's secrets to us.

I'll give it a try!

Pierzak posted:

I'm about to make a cheesy second playthrough to check various secrets, I'll try that and report back.

Cool, I'm interested to see what he says (or the Avatar says).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Ooh neat, if you make a dark-skinned character the fist sprite changes too, I like the attention to details :3:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Booo! <:mad:>

He's right about one thing, it does sound confusing.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Just a heads up - probably won't get a video out today. We'll probably do Thursday / Saturday for the rest of this week. Sorry about that.

Pierzak posted:

Booo! <:mad:>

He's right about one thing, it does sound confusing.

Indeed. Also, I'll take that 80 strength you're sporting, Rodriguez.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

rojogames posted:

Just a heads up - probably won't get a video out today. We'll probably do Thursday / Saturday for the rest of this week. Sorry about that.

Indeed. Also, I'll take that 80 strength you're sporting, Rodriguez.
99 actually, that character is cheated as gently caress.

Also boo again, wtf am I supposed to listen to while painting?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Pierzak posted:

99 actually, that character is cheated as gently caress.

Also boo again, wtf am I supposed to listen to while painting?

One of my many other fine LP's of course! :smug:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

rojogames posted:

One of my many other fine LP's of course! :smug:

Fair point, you have a Sacrifice one going I think? I need to catch up, so take your time.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Fair point, you have a Sacrifice one going I think? I need to catch up, so take your time.

Indeed I do! It's another great game for sure.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 18 - Knightly Knowledge
Returning the Writ to the Knights affords the Avatar a wealth of information about Cabirus' artifacts, combat skills, and puzzles.

There's a metric fuckton of dialogue in this episode, but a lot of it is important information for our quest. We do get in a nice battle at the end, though. When the Avatar has to listen to people yammer too much he gets punchy.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
... I think you've got your work cut out for you typing up all the notes this time, Tax Refund. :words:

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Notes for episode 18:

pre:
Got a quest to retrieve a golden plate, last known to be at the grave of Sir Ingvar.
Rodrick holds a key needed for that quest; behind him is a maze with many secret doors.

Mantra "Fahm" for Missile skill.
Mantra "Koh" for Blunt skill.
Mantra "Gar" for Axe skill.
Mantra "Amo" for Sword skill.

Ring of Humility: there is a room in the level below. (Level 5?).
There you will find four switches. Order: NW, SE, NE, SW.
Stay away from middle of room.

A few months ago, someone (Dirk?) stole a BUNCH of light sources from the knights,
including the Taper of Sacrifice, one of the eight artifacts.

NE corner of the knights' level (4?) is the Puzzle of the Bullfrog.
Use levers and buttons to create a safe path; wand found there will reset the puzzle.

NW corner has the Maze of Silas, full of secret doors.
Beyond it is the door of precious levers, in a hidden area.
The levers' secrets are hinted at by the knights' artifacts, somehow.
Behind the door of precious levels is the resting place of a knight (Sir Ingvar?).
The artifacts in question are probably the gravestones with silver & gold dots:
Sir Lionir's grave had a silver dot in the Sir, and two gold dots in his name.
Sir Avirill's grave had dots in the order silver, silver, gold.

Water-filled area to the W of the Abyss's volcanic core; impressive waterfall.
There are a set of falls leading to two pools. One is easy to get to from the
lizardmen's domain, you should talk to them (in their language!) to learn more.
The other pool is in a secluded spot near a fishing run, S of the central shaft.

Banquet hall is just to the NE of the knights' area.
I decided not to type up all the backstory, and just type up the stuff that looked like it would be necessary to know in the future.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Tax Refund posted:

NE corner of the knights' level (4?) is the Puzzle of the Bullfrog.
Use levers and buttons to create a safe path; wand found there will reset the puzzle.

Careful where you drop that wand; there's a sloped area there that it'll fall through and disappear.

Incidentally, Rojo: Do you ever check for magic items off-screen? You've missed a few useful ones by the looks of it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Tax Refund posted:

Notes for episode 18:

:words:

I decided not to type up all the backstory, and just type up the stuff that looked like it would be necessary to know in the future.

A wise plan.

Old Grey Guy posted:

Careful where you drop that wand; there's a sloped area there that it'll fall through and disappear.

Incidentally, Rojo: Do you ever check for magic items off-screen? You've missed a few useful ones by the looks of it.

I checked some items in my inventory between episodes once. Not sure if you mean I missed some I'm still carrying or some that I walked by and never picked up / couldn't detect via the lore skill.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

rojogames posted:

I checked some items in my inventory between episodes once. Not sure if you mean I missed some I'm still carrying or some that I walked by and never picked up / couldn't detect via the lore skill.

It looks like you keep walking past them most of the time. You found the magic dagger on floor 2, but there's another useful item you missed. On floor 3, there's the Ring of Resist Blows you found (without having to barter for it), two good pieces of armour you could use, and three weapons. Floor 4 has eleven items altogether (including your Ring of Leap) plus an endgame one. That's armour and weapons only. All potions, wands, rings, and scrolls with no messages on them are magic as well. If you want hints, or a list, I can post one - it's up to you.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Old Grey Guy posted:

It looks like you keep walking past them most of the time. You found the magic dagger on floor 2, but there's another useful item you missed. On floor 3, there's the Ring of Resist Blows you found (without having to barter for it), two good pieces of armour you could use, and three weapons. Floor 4 has eleven items altogether (including your Ring of Leap) plus an endgame one. That's armour and weapons only. All potions, wands, rings, and scrolls with no messages on them are magic as well. If you want hints, or a list, I can post one - it's up to you.

Sounds like there's a lot more magic stuff than I thought. I'm trying to stay an episode or two ahead so I can upload on time, but if you want to post a list (spoiler tagged obviously) go for it. I'm sure some people will be interested. I can't promise I'll go back for anything specifically, especially since we're basically crushing it in combat, but I may take another look if I'm in the area. I was kind of hoping my lore skill would be enough to let me know when something is magical, but I guess it's just too low right now, as we've frequently seen with potions.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 19 - Many Precious Things
Having defeated Roderick, we are free to explore the Maze of Silas and the other nearby puzzles.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
No, that wasn't the puzzle of the bullfrog.

When you were looking around the "empty" room in the maze with the debris piles there was something yellow (gold?) hidden in one of them.

As far as I know the gold coins in the maze mean nothing and are just loot.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

rojogames posted:

Sounds like there's a lot more magic stuff than I thought. I'm trying to stay an episode or two ahead so I can upload on time, but if you want to post a list (spoiler tagged obviously) go for it. I'm sure some people will be interested. I can't promise I'll go back for anything specifically, especially since we're basically crushing it in combat, but I may take another look if I'm in the area. I was kind of hoping my lore skill would be enough to let me know when something is magical, but I guess it's just too low right now, as we've frequently seen with potions.

It's a combination of lore + int + game mechanics, so even if you gimp yourself with a 30-int character, there's no absolute guarantee to get everything on the first try, so don't sweat it. :)

Floor 2:

Seen:
- Dagger of Accuracy (north, in the eastern corridor full of Goblins)

- Buckler of Minor Protection, now obsolete, in the chain of rooms to the left of the bridge leading to the orb in the east.

Floor 3:

Found:
- Ring of Resist Blows, from the female Bandit in the western room. The bandits there can be turned to 'friendly' by choosing the deferential answers.

Armour:

- Leather Cap of Toughness, in one of the small rooms next to the central exit to Floor 4, useful until Floor 5.
- Wooden Shield of Protection, in front of the 'Rat Lever' in the north central tunnels, useful until Floor 5.

Weapons:

- Hand Axe of Minor Damage, next to the adventurer's bones on the tiny alcove island with the Breastplate and Helmet.
- Dagger of Damage, north central room with Red Lizard key.
- Light Mace of Minor Damage, on the ground in the south-east.

Floor 4:

Found:
- Ring of Leap, in the battlegrounds.
- Jewelled Sword of Additional Damage, from Rodrick.

Armour:

- Leather Leggings of Additional Protection, on the ground in the central area near the Grey Lizardman. Best leg-wear for the biggest part of the game.
- Mail Shirt of Protection, first worn and then dropped by Rodrick. Useful until Floor 6.
- Mail Shirt of Missile Protection, less useful, on a tiny ledge by the waterfall in the recesses of the water area.
- Leather Cap of Resist Blows, in the eastern room populated by Headless. (Not useful when you have the Ring already.)
- Leather Boots of Slow Fall, north-west, in the Maze of Silas.
- Leather Boots of Toughness, north-east, among the ruins of the Great Stair.

Weapons:

- Longsword of Damage, in the secret room next to the locked chest and the mellow Lurker in the water area.
- Mace of Accuracy, next to Sir Ingvar's grave behind the Maze of Silas.
- Axe of Minor Damage, in the east central troll caves.
- (endgame weapon that cannot be reached now)

Floor 5:

Armour:

- Chain Cowl of Toughness, on the ground in the south near a person we haven't met yet. Replaces Leather Cap o. T.
- Buckler of Great Protection, on the ground even further south in the same area, replaces the Wooden Shield.
- Chain Gauntlets of Additional Protection, in the maze of tunnels east of the buckler, under a pile of debris.
- Mail Leggings of Minor Toughness, in another tunnel of that maze.

Weapons:

- Jewelled Axe of Additional Damage, reward for turning in a reward for a quest.
- Jewelled Mace of Minor Accuracy, in the tomb of Sir Nog.
- Jewelled Sword of Accuracy, in the maze of tunnels in the south-east.

I'll post the deeper floors when we get there.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding. We'll probably be going back up to level 2 briefly sometime in the next few episodes, so I'll likely make a couple pit stops when we do.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

This may be controversial depending on your view on cheating in games, but I wouldn't mind if Rojo would use a character editor and just max his Lore Stat out. Fixelbrumpf did so in his Ultima Underworld II LP and it helped improve the LP.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

This may be controversial depending on your view on cheating in games, but I wouldn't mind if Rojo would use a character editor and just max his Lore Stat out. Fixelbrumpf did so in his Ultima Underworld II LP and it helped improve the LP.
Nah, gently caress that noise. He's got Name Enchantment, he's almost got the Lore mantra, let him make do.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 27, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

wafflemoose posted:

I'm not going to do any character editing stuff like that for the playthrough even though maxing lore isn't really game-breaking or anything, and I can see a modern game design argument as to why it might make sense. That said, what I may do if people really want to see it is take time to do a 'magic item sweep' where we go back and pick up most of the stuff I missed as a bonus episode or something. It's cool to find magic stuff even if we aren't going to use the vast majority of it. I think I'll be putting some more points into lore over the next couple levels as well, which will hopefully help, along with trying to remember to actually pick up items I'm trying to ID, because it improves the chance of the lore skill working.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

rojogames posted:

I'm not going to do any character editing stuff like that for the playthrough even though maxing lore isn't really game-breaking or anything, and I can see a modern game design argument as to why it might make sense. That said, what I may do if people really want to see it is take time to do a 'magic item sweep' where we go back and pick up most of the stuff I missed as a bonus episode or something. It's cool to find magic stuff even if we aren't going to use the vast majority of it. I think I'll be putting some more points into lore over the next couple levels as well, which will hopefully help, along with trying to remember to actually pick up items I'm trying to ID, because it improves the chance of the lore skill working.

Hey, just throwing that out there. Not knowing what magic items are what is part of the these old games' charm after all.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 27, 2017

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

wafflemoose posted:

Hey, just throwing that out there. Not know what magic items are what is part of the these old games' charm after all.

Yep, no worries! I agree.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

Hey, just throwing that out there. Not know what magic items are what is part of the these old games' charm after all.
So let's just raise Lore to the point where Rojo can tell if something's magical or not, and use the identify spell on the suspicious stuff.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Pierzak posted:

So let's just raise Lore to the point where Rojo can tell if something's magical or not, and use the identify spell on the suspicious stuff.

That's the plan. As Old Grey Guy said we'll probably still miss stuff just because of RNG, but it's cool.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Underworld Ascendant Pre-Alpha Gameplay (August 2017) - Challenge of Ishtass

While not strictly related to our Ultima Underworld playthrough, I believe it was brought up earlier in the thread. They recently released a pre-alpha build, so I decided to back the project so I could try it out. I thought some of you who are following the thread might be interested.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 28, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
For what Underworld Ascendant seems to want to be, I found it disturbingly devoid of kicking.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 28, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

rojogames posted:

Underworld Ascendant Pre-Alpha Gameplay (August 2017) - Challenge of Ishtass

While not strictly related to our Ultima Underworld playthrough, I believe it was brought up earlier in the thread. They recently released a pre-alpha build, so I decided to back the project so I could try it out. I thought some of you who are following the thread might be interested.

Well now. Isn't this interesting.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Gimbal lock posted:

For what Underworld Ascendant seems to want to be, I found it disturbingly devoid of kicking.

Oh, man. If there's a mighty foot of justice in UA I'll be sooooooo happy. Just take that repulse spell and put a boot on it. poo poo I never finished DM...that's a definite possibility for an LP someday.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

rojogames posted:

Just take that repulse spell and put a boot on it.
Put the spell on a boot, that will take care of Leap and Bounce as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, Underworld Ascendant doesn't really feel like an Ultima Underworld game, instead feeling more like Might and Magic: Dark Messiah. I kept expecting you to kick the lizardmen off cliffs and into traps.

• Locked thread