Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Trogdos! posted:

:catstare: it reminds me of that Stephen Hawking cartoon
:staredog:
jeez, that's an easy one for the Worst Obituary category

Also: gently caress you Kirschen, a woman died and you use that to shill for your poo poo book? Get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pants Donkey posted:

Image after image of sheer beauty.

When it was one Nazi Defense cartoon after another, I briefly wondered why I still read this thread. You have renewed my tainted soul, Rorus.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

sheep-dodger posted:

:staredog:
jeez, that's an easy one for the Worst Obituary category

Also Worst Caricature in a walk.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Outstanding. Quoting it to keep it from getting lost on the previous page.

What is #4 from? I recognize all the rest.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Outstanding. Quoting it to keep it from getting lost on the previous page.

What is #4 from? I recognize all the rest.
Killer Klowns From Outer Space, a B-movie that's pretty much explained in the title.

Pic is from this scene which may be somewhat gory depending on how squeamish you are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLovCSv9-Ks

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pants Donkey posted:

-a whole bunch of good poo poo-
Man, that some good poo poo.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Get back to me when one of these guys leads an army against the United States in defence of slavery, yeah?

Fucker was an enemy. We don't let their statues stand in their own countries.

E: also Jefferson kept slaves for rape purposes so yeah let's tear that poo poo down

Somfin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 22, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Those people don't stand in the public consciousness as people willing to go to war to defend their right to own slaves

Though Jefferson's reputation way exceeds his actual quality as a human being so I wouldn't really mind him being knocked down a peg

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

When things get tough, our protagonist boldly decides to do nothing and just lie around complaining about how bad it is.

Inspiring stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Only after having already contributed to it though.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Somfin posted:

E: also Jefferson kept slaves for rape purposes so yeah let's tear that poo poo down

Also, when one of his slaves had his children, he kept the kids as slaves too

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Wait, so he's not actually for this kind of thing? I thought this comic's intention was "yeah, let's break down those statues as well."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

toanoradian posted:

Wait, so he's not actually for this kind of thing? I thought this comic's intention was "yeah, let's break down those statues as well."

It's a standard right-wing trope/argument.

"Ohh, you want rid of the Confederate monuments because they fought for slavery? May as well take down every monument to anyone ever then. :smuggo:"

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
This reminds me that on twitter someone asked people to name five statues that aren't racist in any way, and people just replied with various names of abolitionists and civil rights activists.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's a stupid slippery slope argument. First off: I don't give a poo poo if we remove statues of old slaveowners. poo poo, replace Columbus Day with some other celebration of Italian-Americans. So don't confuse this with a defense of our founders.

But here's the thing: while the Founding Fathers were far from perfect, they were still part of our nation. The Confederacy was a nation of traitors, so why the hell would we erect statues of their leadership? The history line is blatant bullshit, because that's what school, museums, and books are for. And it's interesting that the right, the group so big on defending our nation and sticking up for it no matter what the hell is going on, is fighting tooth and nail to keep up memorials to those who wanted to destroy it. It's such an obvious smokescreen to obfuscate the fact that they're a bunch of racist motherfuckers who not-so-secretly wish the South had won.

(also, there's literally nothing of value regarding Columbus. So gently caress that guy.)

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 22, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pants Donkey posted:

It's such an obvious smokescreen to obfuscate the fact that they're a bunch of racist motherfuckers who not-so-secretly wish the South had won.
Is there any good alternate history thinking on what such a victory would actually result in? (I know the mockumentary but that's not quite what I mean)

I'm updating my Garrison profile, and I need a cartoon by Wyatt Mann or one of his colleagues with a perfidious Jew ordering a black man around.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 22, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Xander77 posted:

Are there any good alternate history thinking on what such a victory would actually result in? (I know the mockumentary but that's not quite what I mean)

I'm updating my Garrison profile, and I need a cartoon by Wyatt Mann or one of his colleagues with a perfidious Jew ordering a black man around.

There is a ridiculous number of books about it. Not to mention movies and TV and games and speculative articles. It's a real dead horse topic at this point. Can't really point out any particularly good ones, though.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 22, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
George Washington and Thomas Jefferson also don't stand for slave owning in the public consciousness even though they were slave owners. Robert E Lee isn't known for anything besides being on the slavery side of the civil war

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Begemot posted:

There is a ridiculous number of books about it. Not to mention movies and TV and games and speculative articles. It's a real dead horse topic at this point. Can't really point out any particularly good ones, though.
Yeah, but it seems to be mostly apologist "yeah, the confederacy would definitely have abolished slavery on its own, despite fighting a war over it" crap.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, but it seems to be mostly apologist "yeah, the confederacy would definitely have abolished slavery on its own, despite fighting a war over it" crap.

CSA joins Germany, Allies lose WW2. Trump still elected.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xander77 posted:

There's that new HBO series that sounds just the worst.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Ziv Zulander posted:

Also, when one of his slaves had his children, he kept the kids as slaves too

That was normal. It was the ambition of a lot of slave owners to have a breeding pair of slaves so you could make money selling the kids.

Jefferson is seen as a reluctant slave owner who thought the black person was 'destined to be free' as written in his Notes on the State of Virginia (I may have hosed this up, might be another book - it's been a while since I studied Jefferson but some things stick with me). This is why he left slaves to his grandchildren in his will.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All modern scholarship I've read puts Jefferson as someone whose ideals were in the right place right up until he retired to his farm and realized his slaves having children was the only profitable part of his property, at which point he tied himself in knots to justify why slavery was actually good after all

Early Jefferson was a man whose actions didn't quite live up to his ideals. Late Jefferson was a man who was willing to completely forfeit those ideals for money

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Branco entering the final stages of Garrison Syndrome

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is he about to merge with Garrison into a hateful ball of slime?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Xander77 posted:

In my opinion, they might have, but like 20-30 years later. Then, they would have replaced it with even worse Jim Crow that probably would have looked exactly like apartheid. It's a terrible talking point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pants Donkey posted:

Mods change my name to More Dead Cops.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pants Donkey posted:

It's a stupid slippery slope argument. First off: I don't give a poo poo if we remove statues of old slaveowners. poo poo, replace Columbus Day with some other celebration of Italian-Americans. So don't confuse this with a defense of our founders.

But here's the thing: while the Founding Fathers were far from perfect, they were still part of our nation. The Confederacy was a nation of traitors, so why the hell would we erect statues of their leadership? The history line is blatant bullshit, because that's what school, museums, and books are for. And it's interesting that the right, the group so big on defending our nation and sticking up for it no matter what the hell is going on, is fighting tooth and nail to keep up memorials to those who wanted to destroy it. It's such an obvious smokescreen to obfuscate the fact that they're a bunch of racist motherfuckers who not-so-secretly wish the South had won.

(also, there's literally nothing of value regarding Columbus. So gently caress that guy.)

I'd rather not, he had syphilis.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/RhodriPrysor/status/899722368993644545

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Starshark posted:

That was normal. It was the ambition of a lot of slave owners to have a breeding pair of slaves so you could make money selling the kids.
Talking about the kids he had with said slaves.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Trogdos! posted:

Garrison's eclipse cartoon

Smile!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pants Donkey posted:

I've been saying for months now that Branco is literally the worst, and here we are. He continues to prove himself irredeemable.

Also it occurs to me, the same guys who shamed the "mainstream media" and liberals for toxic, violent rhetoric fueling the attempted baseball assassination sure have no problem painting a huge target on Soros. Like how loving implicit is this comic as a call to violence? "Hey guys all your problems and opposition can be traced to a single named man who I'm pointing to, look, I'm pointing to him right now."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Soros is not a young man , who will the insane glom onto as the source of all evil afterwards? I'd like to be ready for the switch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Soros is not a young man , who will the insane glom onto as the source of all evil afterwards? I'd like to be ready for the switch.

They'll just increase their efforts on Obama and/or Hillary.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Always got the Rothschilds to fall back on.

Or literally any other Jewish person since that's what they really mean anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I thought the (((MAINSTREAM MEDIA))) were ignoring Antifa, not following.

Also gently caress Branco, who the gently caress pays his bills? What company would publish this?

• Locked thread