Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

His head looks weird, he dies all the time if you try to use him, and his voice acting is just sort of off all the time. I really don't get why he's popular at all either.

Because for some reason people decided that Freddy Prinz Jr altering his career from has-been bad romcom actor to video game voice actor meant he was suddenly talented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At some point I think Bioware decided nobody would want to romance the non-humans unless they had creepily human-like facial features.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

At some point I think Bioware decided nobody would want to romance the non-humans unless they had creepily human-like facial features.

Garrus exists though

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Which is kinda dumb given Garrus and Tali being fairly popular romance options iirc

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

im cute posted:

however, the Iron Bull romance was pretty good if you ignore all the bdsm overtones

Why would you do that? It's obviously intentional and I know people who liked it. BW fans are probably pretty open-minded about sex for the most part and thus perfectly okay with BDSM.

I liked the Qunari redesign in 2. They were too generic-looking in the first game.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I'm so surprised that it took one bad game to scrap this IP, narrative loose ends and all. The first game felt like such a tentpole for the Xbox, and Sony seemed like it worked pretty hard to get the trilogy on its machines.

Did Drew Karpyshyn ever release his version of a series bible, or talk about it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ekusukariba posted:

Which is kinda dumb given Garrus and Tali being fairly popular romance options iirc

yeah, it really seemed to start with Iron Bull in DA:I and then fish guy in ME:A though that's admittedly a sample of 2

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

His head looks weird, he dies all the time if you try to use him, and his voice acting is just sort of off all the time. I really don't get why he's popular at all either.

Tumblr

on both the writing staff and as the main fanbase

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

fruit on the bottom posted:

I actually thought it was a nice nuance in a progressive but not really way.

Like you can't be a warrior and a woman so if you are a warrior then you are a man even if you have boobs and a vagina and that's whatever.

Not to pull too hard as a comparison but it reminds me of how Iran is deceptively "progressive" on trans issues in the sense that you can get gender reassignment surgery and all that except then you dig a little deeper and realize it's very much exploited as a way of oppressing gay people in that country.

that's incredibly oversimplified, but I hope my point is clear.

I was actually just about to post this on further reflection. Good point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ekusukariba posted:

I think someone is forgetting the grand reveal of what Tali looks like under her helmet...

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think someone is forgetting the grand reveal of what Tali looks like under her helmet...

people liked her long before her face reveal when she was just a helmet with an accent

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ekusukariba posted:

people liked her long before her face reveal when she was just a helmet with an accent

Try the other side of the argument :ssh:.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

El_Elegante posted:

I'm so surprised that it took one bad game to scrap this IP, narrative loose ends and all. The first game felt like such a tentpole for the Xbox, and Sony seemed like it worked pretty hard to get the trilogy on its machines.

Did Drew Karpyshyn ever release his version of a series bible, or talk about it?

Two bad games (and ME2 was a good game that was bad, so three)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Two bad games (and ME2 was a good game that was bad, so three)

ME3 had high review scores and high sales. I guarantee you that EA has not filed in their "failure" category.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah, it really seemed to start with Iron Bull in DA:I and then fish guy in ME:A though that's admittedly a sample of 2

People have wanted to gently caress fishfaces ever since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

fruit on the bottom posted:

ME3 had high review scores and high sales. I guarantee you that EA has not filed in their "failure" category.

Yeah lol hey they just totally pawned the big time franchise off on the special ed studio after the fallout

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Hey we paid all the mags to give us 9/10s which meant a ton of people bought the game and got to see first hand our ineptitude. Whooooopppsss.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Hey we paid all the mags to give us 9/10s which meant a ton of people bought the game and got to see first hand our ineptitude. Whooooopppsss.

Lol ok dude

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think you can both be right.

I think EA considered ME3 both a success but probably with a big note on their ME3 franchise file saying THE ENDING WAS A TOTAL gently caress UP.

Remember that EA basically paid for Bioware to fix it (the extended cut, ugh), and EA aren't exactly charitable.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, that's probably fair.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Me3 was such a success they completely redid the setting and had a different studio handle it!!!!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Me3 was a world record fail

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
ME3 was all right. I didn't feel betrayed by my choices not really mattering, because i figured out pretty early on in the series that choices only changed some surface-level stuff, like what carried over to ME2. Besides, It's Bioware Formula 1a, and it's fully voice acted. It wasn't a surprise.

The Starchild was their take on a Contact/2001 ending, and I got it. It wasn't the Hero's Journey sort of stuff we as gamers are conditioned to accept and expect, it was trippy poorly explained sci-if, which is a... unique flavor. A grown-up taste. I can totally see why people didn't like either of the endings, I guess I just wasn't invested in the same way.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
"The Mass Effect 3 Ending was like 2001" lmao

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

"The Mass Effect 3 Ending was like 2001" lmao

Well that's probably what the idiots who came up with it thought, anyway.

Also the gaming press when it was time to defend the artists' vision against a mob of :turianass: entitled gamers :turianass:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The game up until the ending was marginally-less-good than ME2. The Citadel DLC was the best content of all Mass Effect.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

ME3 was all right.

:staredog:

The Starchild was their take on a Contact/2001 ending, and I got it.

:staredog:

:wow:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ME3 was all right. I didn't feel betrayed by my choices not really mattering, because i figured out pretty early on in the series that choices only changed some surface-level stuff, like what carried over to ME2. Besides, It's Bioware Formula 1a, and it's fully voice acted. It wasn't a surprise.

The Starchild was their take on a Contact/2001 ending, and I got it. It wasn't the Hero's Journey sort of stuff we as gamers are conditioned to accept and expect, it was trippy poorly explained sci-if, which is a... unique flavor. A grown-up taste. I can totally see why people didn't like either of the endings, I guess I just wasn't invested in the same way.

The ending was everything Bioware said they wouldn't do.

For five years, repeatedly restating that promise ever since ME1 was still in development. People took understandable offense to being lied to for that long.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"a grown-up taste"
:goonsay:

What do you expect from someone who's job description includes shilling for the Xbox One the third Xbox and Bioware products?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

"a grown-up taste"
:goonsay:

What do you expect from someone who's job description includes shilling for the Xbox One the third Xbox and Bioware products?

Denial. Endless denial. Alternate realities and attempts to catch every dropped poo poo to gobble up the juicy goodness.

It's been a while since I read the Xbox Bought To You By Microsoft thread where the enthusiasts were almost entirely shills. I kind of figured they would have died off much like consumer interest :haw:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The ending was everything Bioware said they wouldn't do.

For five years, repeatedly restating that promise ever since ME1 was still in development. People took understandable offense to being lied to for that long.

Casey Hudson was quoted days before ME3 launched that there wasn't a 'press the button' choice at the end.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If we're not going to get another Mass Effect game for the next decade, will Mac Walters kickstart fan favourite Mass Effect: SagDEG in 2027?

Luckily there's Star Citizen for fans of epic space games to play for those 10 years or so :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

Casey Hudson was quoted days before ME3 launched that there wasn't a 'press the button' choice at the end.
Stop being entitled jfc!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

He was right, stop misrepresenting him!

There were three buttons at the end. Totally different. :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah lol hey they just totally pawned the big time franchise off on the special ed studio after the fallout

With millions of dollars in budget and a remarkably free hand.

That doesn't say "Dead franchise walking".

That says "Just slap the name on and it'll sell, right?"

As it turned out, this was not right. But it does suggest EA was expecting the franchise to be healthy for a while longer, no matter how they abused it.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Milky Moor posted:

In fairness the ending is determined by more than picking one of three buttons, i.e. war assets score. Like ME2, though, Bioware underestimated how thorough their players are.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

DancingShade posted:

He was right, stop misrepresenting him!

There were three buttons at the end. Totally different. :colbert:

Lt. Danger posted:

In fairness the ending is determined by more than picking one of three buttons, i.e. war assets score. Like ME2, though, Bioware underestimated how thorough their players are.

Also, to be technical, Shepard doesn't press any bottons. He shoots a tube, holds onto an open power conduit or leaps into a laser beam.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

The specifics of the original cut ending are determined by what you do throughout the games, though.

At low EMS scores, the player doesn't have a choice of what button to press - it's either Control or Destroy, based on what the player did with the Collector Base back in ME2. At very low EMS scores, Earth gets destroyed as well. At higher scores, the player can choose between Control and Destroy, and at a higher threshold again can choose Synthesis as well. The very highest check has Shepard survive at the end.

Also, what the extended cut makes explicit is that decisions on Rannoch and Tuchanka also determine 'the ending', as that is where the two major series-long subplots are resolved. Those decisions, in turn, are partly determined by choices made in ME1 and ME2.

But this is maybe a little too abstracted for some of us - those who wanted identifiable 'big' decisions with obvious consequences (even if only in hindsight), like the loyalty missions of ME2. Probably also worth remembering the outrage that players might have to play multiplayer to get 'all' the endings, which apparently is the wrong kind of choice-layering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I liked the Qunari redesign in 2. They were too generic-looking in the first game.

In the first game I just figured they were a 'race' of tall humans.