Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, every kid who plays chess for the first time calls it that until someone corrects them. Not everyone accepts the correction.

I mean, it's literally a horse and a knight is nowhere in sight. So "corrects".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

The Belgian posted:

Also call the queen queen in Dutch (koningin).
Fucks your notation up. K is king. So D for Dame rather than Koningin or else you have to start faffing about trying to make it distinguishable.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Hambilderberglar posted:

Fucks your notation up. K is king. So D for Dame rather than Koningin or else you have to start faffing about trying to make it distinguishable.

Qoningin.

King and Knight don't cause any problems for english-speakers though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Deltasquid posted:

Qoningin.

King and Knight don't cause any problems for english-speakers though.

Well yeah I mean N for kNight sort of makes sense.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In the case of Dutch, just M for koningin Maxima. That'll be valid for a couple more years.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
N for Neigh

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bagual posted:

Georgian Turtles, known for speeding across the battlefield

Watch it, a turtle will gently caress your poo poo up real bad!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I like weirdly specific maps

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can turtle refer to the Roman formation?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

System Metternich posted:

same

https://twitter.com/alissascheller/status/898646730308276225

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the case of Dutch, just M for koningin Maxima. That'll be valid for a couple more years.
Are you serious about this? Are they using W for the king, too?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, Craig Robinson (not any of the ones you know) has done a lot of cool infographics, though not as many in the last several years as he did in the early 201Xs. And they generally are quite good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I grew up calling the knight "cheval" in French, and also the queen was definitely the "reine" :colbert:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

Are you serious about this? Are they using W for the king, too?

Is anyone ever serious about anything on the Something Awful Comedy Forums?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ratsu doesn't mean horse it means any animal you ride.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ratsu doesn't mean horse it means any animal you ride.

So it means “steed”.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

HookShot posted:

I grew up calling the knight "cheval" in French, and also the queen was definitely the "reine" :colbert:

cavalier and dame is what i was taught. wikipedia lists reine as "improper" but i've def. heard it. in trying to see what the québécois say, i found http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/article/histoire-du-jeu-dechecs which claims that it's a post revolutionary change but that seems fishy to me.

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 22, 2017

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
As a Belgian I can say reine and dame are used interchangeably in every French chess match I've ever played, seen or discussed. I have never actually heard anyone refer to the queen as "dame" in Dutch but maybe the Dutch do.

Did you know that rooks can castle? They're definitely towers, because they protect a King after he has castled. Like a tower would. :colbert: Meanwhile in Dutch to castle is called "een rokade" which is a term I have never heard anyone use, except a friend who was learning chess for the first time and who sprung that term on me out of nowhere. It doesn't even mean anything outside of chess, as far as I know.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deltasquid posted:

Did you know that rooks can castle? They're definitely towers, because they protect a King after he has castled. Like a tower would. :colbert: Meanwhile in Dutch to castle is called "een rokade" which is a term I have never heard anyone use, except a friend who was learning chess for the first time and who sprung that term on me out of nowhere. It doesn't even mean anything outside of chess, as far as I know.
A quick googling leads me to believe the term comes from the French rocade, which is apparently a path inside a fortification that allows defenders to move within the defensive perimeter while shielded from the enemy. Seems like a pretty appropriate name for the move. We use the same term here in Denmark by the way, though also for the shuffling of a cabinet.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The eclipse as seen on Google traffic maps

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Queen should be called Dame whenever possible, so you can remember to put it on the D tile. Luckily, in Danish, the options are Dame and Dronning, so that works.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

As a Belgian I can say reine and dame are used interchangeably in every French chess match I've ever played, seen or discussed. I have never actually heard anyone refer to the queen as "dame" in Dutch but maybe the Dutch do.
Any time I have seen chess terms written (usually the puzzles in the newspaper) its "Dame" exclusively. But thats probably to remain consistent with notation. In speech with kids koningin is accepted. I havent spoken about chess with anyone in dutch for 2 decades so i cant speak to what adults and srs players use, but i'd guess dame is more common.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Koningin strikes me as more natural, but then again I know nothing about chess. I don't think I've ever played a match in my life.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
the only correct term for the queen in Finnish is akka, "hag"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

the only correct term for the queen in Finnish is akka, "hag"

I'd translate it as crone but also you know deep down in your heart the real word rhymes with darra anyway.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
OUT: daami lyö ratsun
IN: akka syä hepan

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

OUT: daami lyö ratsun
IN: akka syä hepan

"turpa kiinni hevos äiä" - Huarra.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

cavalier and dame is what i was taught. wikipedia lists reine as "improper" but i've def. heard it. in trying to see what the québécois say, i found http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/article/histoire-du-jeu-dechecs which claims that it's a post revolutionary change but that seems fishy to me.

Yeah, I have no idea what Québécois people would be taught.

It's also possible that we used reine and dame interchangeably, and I just don't remember. I haven't played chess with any of my French family in a loooong time. But I know as soon as I saw it I remembered her being referred to as the reine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

I have no idea what Québécois people would be taught.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I'm down to bring that back.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A quick googling leads me to believe the term comes from the French rocade, which is apparently a path inside a fortification that allows defenders to move within the defensive perimeter while shielded from the enemy. Seems like a pretty appropriate name for the move. We use the same term here in Denmark by the way, though also for the shuffling of a cabinet.

Same thing in Russian, even the word probably has the same origins (rokirovka).

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Dreddout posted:

Imagine being an economic hipster wrt Georgism

Imagine how insufferable a person that would be

I am that guy.

frick u

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

In my ideal world north of the rio grande would be American and French with no in between .

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Eskaton posted:

I am that guy.

frick u

*straightens bowtie*

Listen here you little poo poo Henry George is indirectly responsible for the creation of Monopoly which means he has caused more human suffering in aggregate than Genghis Kahn, the world's greatest environmentalist

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
In the Islamic world sometimes they make king pieces that have a cute star and crescent instead of a cross :3:

also tangentially-map-related piece of info since this is basically the "cultural/geopolitical/historical/etc trivia" thread, every use of the word "check" in English is etymologically descended from the chess sense. :eng101:

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 23, 2017

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Just got this from an unrelated giphy search

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Tweezer Reprise posted:

In the Islamic world sometimes they make king pieces that have a cute star and crescent instead of a cross :3:

Now cut some pieces off the star to shape it into a hammer.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sereri posted:

FPTP.gif

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sereri posted:

Where's 2017?