Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm not going to buy this until we get some official proof, because yeah, this is way too far out of left field. I'm sure he'd do a good job, but I doubt he'd actually be the companion.

My usual barometer for this is the Doctor Who Twitter, and they haven't said anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Doctor Who: Lt. Van Buren in an ITV game show.

:doink:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Finish's UNIT audios return to the Inferno universe!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ah...it's just doesn't feel right somehow...

There we are.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Dalek provides the ocular deficiency there.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This Bradley Walsh thing is a joke right?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

marktheando posted:

This Bradley Walsh thing is a joke right?

It's not especially well-sourced, but I deeply and sincerely hope it's not a joke.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I read a Mirror article with people hating on him for some reason, I thought he was great on L&O:UK. Was some other work of his or some other factor drawing people's ire?

The only issue I have with him, was that his age and race is that of many of the previous Doctors. Which wouldn't necessarily stretch the program that much. I guess it would have been interesting to see a non-standard pairing other than the usual older white guy, younger white woman pairing the show has mostly used. Maybe pair Jodie with another woman. They could potentially have another companion with them, but this just seems like it might be placating the white, older male viewers who want a guy in the Tardis.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 22, 2017

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I have to watch Challenge for hours every day with my dementia-addled dad and I love him on The Chase so it's fine by me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Teek posted:

I read a Mirror article with people hating on him for some reason, I thought he was great on L&O:UK. Was some other work of his or some other factor drawing people's ire?

The only issue I have with him, was that his age and race is that of many of the previous Doctors. Which wouldn't necessarily stretch the program that much. I guess it would have been interesting to see a non-standard pairing other than the usual older white guy, younger white woman pairing the show has mostly used. Maybe pair Jodie with another woman. They could potentially have another companion with them, but this just seems like it might be placating the white, older male viewers who want a guy in the Tardis.
So the interesting part of that is that the companion's role is usually to be somewhat ignorant. They're overwhelmed and awed and all that stuff, while the Doctor knows everything and is in some way experiencing all this novelty through the companion's perspective.

So even though "old white man" isn't novel casting, "old white ignorant man opposite all-knowing middle aged woman" is a pretty novel dynamic that I'm honestly interested in seeing.

No idea who Bradley Walsh is though.

I hope Whittaker lasts long enough to have a female companion though. Just having a couple women off having crazy sci-fi adventures seems like it'd be a neat new dynamic too, now that you mention it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

So even though "old white man" isn't novel casting, "old white ignorant man opposite all-knowing middle aged woman" is a pretty novel dynamic that I'm honestly interested in seeing.

She's 35. :confused:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

In what universe is that not middle aged?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did people say David Tennant was a middle-aged man when he started playing the Doctor? Because he was 35 when he started.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mymla posted:

In what universe is that not middle aged?

Shut up, you youngling!

I think most people feel you have to be at least 40 to be considered "middle aged". And while 35 isn't too far off from 40, line's gotta be drawn somewhere.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Middle age starts at 30 tbh.
That's halfway to 60, and when you're 60 you might as well be dead.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oxford Dictionary puts middle aged as 45 to 65, as does the US Census, so....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eiba posted:

So the interesting part of that is that the companion's role is usually to be somewhat ignorant. They're overwhelmed and awed and all that stuff, while the Doctor knows everything and is in some way experiencing all this novelty through the companion's perspective.

I hope Whittaker lasts long enough to have a female companion though. Just having a couple women off having crazy sci-fi adventures seems like it'd be a neat new dynamic too, now that you mention it.

Yeah, that's the beauty of it. Unless he's playing Uncle Explaining Timelord, the dynamic can't be the same, because this time, it's going to be a young woman who does all the wizarding while whoever she's traveling with assists, looks on in awe, or whatever.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The ages of early-middle adulthood, explained:

20-29: "I'm an adult but I'm still so young!" (You're an adult)
30-39: "Oh poo poo, I'm really an adult now. I'M SO OLD!" (You're not old.)
40-49: "Eh, I'm an adult but I've finally more or less worked out who I am and this is fine." (You're middle-aged.)

See also the 10th, 11th and 12th Doctors.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

thrawn527 posted:

Oxford Dictionary puts middle aged as 45 to 65, as does the US Census, so....

The oldest verified person lived to 122, so 65 is maybe a bit optimistic

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

docbeard posted:

The ages of early-middle adulthood, explained:

20-29: "I'm an adult but I'm still so young!" (You're an adult)
30-39: "Oh poo poo, I'm really an adult now. I'M SO OLD!" (You're not old.)
40-49: "Eh, I'm an adult but I've finally more or less worked out who I am and this is fine." (You're middle-aged.)

See also the 10th, 11th and 12th Doctors.

That's changed a lot, now people in their 20s are old and wish they were back to being young teenagers again. If you're over 25 then you're really old and if you're over 30 then you might as well just start getting your funeral ready.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The ages of 12 - until 35 are currently known as "Millennial" and they have killed orange juice, beer, and boobs. Watch out, they might be coming for Doctor Who next, with their gizmos and their "identity politics."

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I thought 35 was middle aged, but doing some internet research suggests it's actually 45-65 according to some dictionaries or something.

I was contrasting the age of the old man and the _____ woman, and "young" sounded wong-er than middle aged. But upon reflection "young" would probably have gotten the point across better.

As with any semantic discussion, I'm totally willing to concede the point, so long as the actual meaning can still be communicated. (He's old, she's not.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jokes aside, I'm genuinely very surprised that mid-30s is considered middle aged.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
UK life expecentcy is 80 and a bit years, so you're mathematically not middle aged until you're 40 at the earliest. So there, YOUTHS.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

The ages of 12 - until 35 are currently known as "Millennial" and they have killed orange juice, beer, and boobs. Watch out, they might be coming for Doctor Who next, with their gizmos and their "identity politics."

I'm going to opt out of this and just claim other

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wait, is this him now? Did he like de-age since L&O:UK or was he just really made up and dressed up to look extra schlebby on that show?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mymla posted:

Middle age starts at 30 tbh.
That's halfway to 60, and when you're 60 you might as well be dead.

You'll regret saying that in about 50 years.

Looks like more reputable news sources are picking up the rumor but nothing from the BBC officially yet. And most of the reporting seems to be along the lines of "this is a rumor" even if the headlines imply it to be true.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

I'm still waiting for millenials to destroy capitalism. Oh well, Doctor Who is a good compromise.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
759! That's not old, it's just... mature. :mad:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eiba posted:

He's a comedian, actor and TV personality, most well-known these days for hosting an extremely popular game show called The Chase, as noted, but was also on the long-running soap Coronation Street and one of the leads on Law & Order. For Americans... think if Craig Ferguson or Aisha Tyler was the new companion to get a rough idea of the sort of area this is in.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don’t know this dude at all but I just saw the American version of The Chase the other day and I enjoyed it.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

He's a comedian, actor and TV personality, most well-known these days for hosting an extremely popular game show called The Chase, as noted, but was also on the long-running soap Coronation Street and one of the leads on Law & Order. For Americans... think if Craig Ferguson or Aisha Tyler was the new companion to get a rough idea of the sort of area this is in.

And why isn't Craig Ferguson a companion yet, anyway?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

pgroce posted:

And why isn't Craig Ferguson a companion yet, anyway?

Now that Capaldi's out, he's missed his most opportune window.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Bradley Walsh was real good on Law and Order, so i hope he plays a grizzled cop on doctor who as well

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

Bradley Walsh was real good on Law and Order, so i hope he plays a grizzled cop on doctor who as well

I've only ever seen him in L&O:UK, so I can't square the circle to see him as a wacky game show host. He was just a fatherly, kinda tough but sad old cop with a broken family and drinking problem, but a heart of gold. I guess it's kinda like when people freaked out about Rose or Donna because of what they were known for and I was like "what?"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

For Americans... think if Craig Ferguson or Aisha Tyler was the new companion to get a rough idea of the sort of area this is in.

Can we get them, because that would be amazing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What do you people think of David Tennant in his new role as Scrooge McDuck in the new DuckTales? Because I think he's absolutely brilliant.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I suspect many of the answers will be "Haven't seen it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Carbon dioxide posted:

What do you people think of David Tennant in his new role as Scrooge McDuck in the new DuckTales? Because I think he's absolutely brilliant.

He's actually quite good. He's a little higher and more youthful sounding in voice than the original actor, but still great. And his accent is a million times better than whoever is doing Glumgold (for obvious reasons).

• Locked thread