Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuchanka is the only good part of me3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope there are still bitter and twisted mass effect fans living in vain hope their sweet waifu tali will return so they can enjoy her rancid space suit sweat in ten years time from now.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

DancingShade posted:

I hope there are still bitter and twisted mass effect fans living in vain hope their sweet waifu tali will return so they can enjoy her rancid space suit sweat in ten years time from now.
lol, I forgot about that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Technically, milk is a form of sweat.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, I guess I triggered some manchildren with my middle-of-the-road "eh, it's all right, I see what they were going for" post back there. I'm sorry. :shobon:

The center looks like the far left or right to people on the far right or left.

Namaste.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Wow, I guess I triggered some manchildren with my middle-of-the-road "eh, it's all right, I see what they were going for" post back there. I'm sorry. :shobon:

The center looks like the far left or right to people on the far right or left.

Namaste.

What "they were going for" was two people locking themselves in a room without input from the rest of the writing team to force the idiotic vision they had that contradicted drat-near everything leading up to it, and made no sense in a vacuum or in context of the trilogy at-large.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What "they were going for" was two people locking themselves in a room without input from the rest of the writing team to force the idiotic vision they had that contradicted drat-near everything leading up to it, and made no sense in a vacuum or in context of the trilogy at-large.

That's how you feel about it, sure. Like I said earlier (but oddly wasn't quoted on, hmm) I guess I'm just not as emotionally invested as some people so I didn't take things so personally.

\/\/\/ :roflolmao:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 22, 2017

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
*dumps out huge pile of uncooked steam on plate, covered in flies and maggots*

*goon begins tearfully eating while lamenting how bad the cook is treated*

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ME3 is rushed and badly paced and has poor level design. So much was cut from Palaven and Thessia it's a wonder anyone imagines what they got was the intended product much less a misunderstood good game. People point to Tuchanka as the good part because it's mostly finished.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

ME3 is rushed and badly paced and has poor level design. So much was cut from Palaven and Thessia it's a wonder anyone imagines what they got was the intended product much less a misunderstood good game. People point to Tuchanka as the good part because it's mostly finished.

It was also the only part where the writing didn't poo poo itself and actually had a satisfying resolution to an issue that had been a major part of the whole series

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah. Tons of stuff was cut, that happens all the time, no joke. Unless you're, say, CD Projeckt Red.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Would you guys support a kickstarter for a new game led by whoever led the ME2 team? Considering the amount of remakes and spiritual sequels funded by that site, I doubt we won't see a ME-related one during the next decade.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

No

feller
Jul 5, 2006

My waifu eats this

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

With millions of dollars in budget and a remarkably free hand.

That doesn't say "Dead franchise walking".

That says "Just slap the name on and it'll sell, right?"

As it turned out, this was not right. But it does suggest EA was expecting the franchise to be healthy for a while longer, no matter how they abused it.

Nah, they just spent years trying to reach a ridiculously high target of a) switching to Frostbyte and getting it to do RPG stuff and b) randomly generated planets, which predictably didn't work.

Andromeda the game we played was rushed together in 18 months after everything else had to be thrown away but that wasn't "Just slap the name on and it'll sell, right?", it was the result of spending too much time and effort on trying to get multiple things that nobody has ever managed to do before done in one game.

Randomly generated 3d action game environments are a hill that many foolishly overreaching developer has died upon.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not enough of a gamer to get into the whole sordid world of why designers make the decisions that they do. So I don't know why the game has a complex crafting system that hobbles you early in the game and becomes largely irrelevant later on. Is there a general trend towards "make everything like a MMO" even in games that aren't MMOs?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Don't worry, Papa Casey will save it one day...

https://twitter.com/CaseyDHudson/status/899094294589341696

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's how you feel about it, sure. Like I said earlier (but oddly wasn't quoted on, hmm) I guess I'm just not as emotionally invested as some people so I didn't take things so personally.

I think you're mistaking proven facts for opinion there, buddy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you're mistaking proven facts for opinion there, buddy.

Nice meltdown.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Oh yeah. Tons of stuff was cut, that happens all the time, no joke. Unless you're, say, CD Projeckt Red.

Even CDPR had to cut a large portion of Witcher 3 that was supposed to deal with the plague and follow up on the Saskia and Iorveth plot from Witcher 2.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even CDPR had to cut a large portion of Witcher 3 that was supposed to deal with the plague and follow up on the Saskia and Iorveth plot from Witcher 2.
More importantly, they had to cut out most of the stuff that was supposed to give the primary antagonists some shred of personality.

Man, a gaming food thread would actually be pretty cool. Would give me the motivation to try out the bread recipe from Arcanum.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

More importantly, they had to cut out most of the stuff that was supposed to give the primary antagonists some shred of personality.

Man, a gaming food thread would actually be pretty cool. Would give me the motivation to try out the bread recipe from Arcanum.

Try the bread recipe from Ultima 7 where you use a bucket of blood instead of a bucket of water to cook a loaf.

Then feed your human blood bread to that child soldier you recruit in the starting city. You're the avatar of virtue so it must be the correct thing to do.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Try the bread recipe from Ultima 7 where you use a bucket of blood instead of a bucket of water to cook a loaf.

Then feed your human blood bread to that child soldier you recruit in the starting city. You're the avatar of virtue so it must be the correct thing to do.

Is that Virtuous, Avatar?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Xander77 posted:

That's interesting to hear. I didn't play Witcher 1 or 2, and went back and read all the books after halfway thru 3.

It really felt the game just assumed you read the books to begin with, while still doing an excellent job of fleshing out the characters even if you didn't.

I wonder if not giving the wild hunt leader a charcter arc was largely because that's all been covered before. Similarly like Geralt's relationship with the emperor is super vague and confusing unless you've read the entire series.

I just assumed it was a stylistic choice because they didn't want to go into everyone's back stories.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

gmq posted:

Would you guys support a kickstarter for a new game led by whoever led the ME2 team? Considering the amount of remakes and spiritual sequels funded by that site, I doubt we won't see a ME-related one during the next decade.

No. Pillars of Eternity was the only game I've ever kickstarter'd.

It will remain the only game I'll ever make that mistake on.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

considering making up some buffalo chicken strips and gettig my game on!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My Witcher 3 gamer food story is that I met a polish guy who worked at a mobile game developer at a 4th of July cookout in China and he let me try some vodka his dad made in his basement in Poland and it was good. Game developer beverage technically.

I made pico de gallo and it was good and sort of held people over waiting for the charcoal which took way too long to find. The guy hosting the party was a goon who plays a lot of DOTA so

THAT'S GAMER FOOD

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Xander77 posted:

It would have been odd though, since both Yennefer and Geralt already have ridden with the Wild Hunt. Infiltrating again seemed a bit too much.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DancingShade posted:

You boil your bread what the gently caress

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What kind of a motherfucker doesn't eat pretzels?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

What kind of a motherfucker doesn't eat pretzels?

A motherfucker who boils bread is who.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

That's interesting to hear. I didn't play Witcher 1 or 2, and went back and read all the books after halfway thru 3.

It really felt the game just assumed you read the books to begin with, while still doing an excellent job of fleshing out the characters even if you didn't.

I wonder if not giving the wild hunt leader a charcter arc was largely because that's all been covered before. Similarly like Geralt's relationship with the emperor is super vague and confusing unless you've read the entire series.

I just assumed it was a stylistic choice because they didn't want to go into everyone's back stories.

It works because the plot of W3 is that Geralt isn't actually the centre of the story, he's just a guy in dad-mode running around trying to play catch-up with his daughter. Fleshing out the Wild Hunt doesn't matter because all Geralt needs to know is that they're evil elves after Ciri.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

orange juche posted:

A motherfucker who boils bread is who.

Pretzels is boiled bread you stupid piece of poo poo. Mods?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

You don't boil pretzels. Someone is stupid but it isn't me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA8PyXeeXiA

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 23, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Arglebargle III posted:

Baking is a different thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A traditional pretzel is boiled prior to baking. Also bagels.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, chicken and dumplings. Comfort food at its finest, and involves boiled bread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Alchenar posted:

Nah, they just spent years trying to reach a ridiculously high target of a) switching to Frostbyte and getting it to do RPG stuff and b) randomly generated planets, which predictably didn't work.

Andromeda the game we played was rushed together in 18 months after everything else had to be thrown away but that wasn't "Just slap the name on and it'll sell, right?", it was the result of spending too much time and effort on trying to get multiple things that nobody has ever managed to do before done in one game.

Randomly generated 3d action game environments are a hill that many foolishly overreaching developer has died upon.

you know what else was rushed together in 18 months? Fallout: New Vegas. Makes you think

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Me3 was a world record fail

Mass Effect 3 was badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you know what else was rushed together in 18 months? Fallout: New Vegas. Makes you think

New Vegas is good though