Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

nachos posted:

Is pubg a console exclusive or is it timed?

It's a "console launch exclusive" which seems to be a mealymouthed way of saying it's eventually going to come out for PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

No one knows. Every time a journalist asks the PUBG people just duck the question and say that they teamed up with Xbox to bring the game to Xbox faster.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why on earth would anyone make a Xbox exclusive now? They can't even think of a decent name for the drat thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I would say "just get it on PC" since that's where 7 million people play the game already, but despite looking like it's straight out of 2010 PUBG is apparently more demanding than you'd expect.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why on earth would anyone make a Xbox exclusive now? They can't even think of a decent name for the drat thing.

same reason any third party dev would go exclusive: they were paid a lot of money to do so

"console launch exclusive" does sound like it'll be a timed thing rather than permanent tho

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

same reason any third party dev would go exclusive: they were paid a lot of money to do so
I know it's the history of always when it comes to console games but it's still hard for me to imagine amount of money that is a substitute for anyone actually playing your game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

No one knows. Every time a journalist asks the PUBG people just duck the question and say that they teamed up with Xbox to bring the game to Xbox faster.

I'd bet money that Microsoft has a clause in their contract that they can't say anything about it only being a temporary exclusive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know it's the history of always when it comes to console games but it's still hard for me to imagine amount of money that is a substitute for anyone actually playing your game.

Money up front is always better than hoping it sells I guess

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Morby posted:

For Xbox to come back at this point they'd have to have super compelling exclusives. So far they haven't shown anything.

Yeah about that

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/899720498384338944

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Satya Nadella hasn't been a fan of the Xbox division since taking over Microsoft. I can only imagine another downturn would make him reconsider spinning them off.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Why on earth would they waste resources, time, money and all that lip service to the Bonx? They are utterly clueless and it is crazy to me.

Admit defeat like the Kin, Courier, Windows Phone, Windows RT Surfaces, MS BOB and so on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eh, if nintendo had done that with the wii u then we wouldn't have gotten the switch. I don't want an xbox one but I really don't want a competitor in the console market to drop out because that's when things will start to suck. what would have happened with the ps3 launch if the 360 wasn't around? or the bone launch without the ps4

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

eh, if nintendo had done that with the wii u then we wouldn't have gotten the switch. I don't want an xbox one but I really don't want a competitor in the console market to drop out because that's when things will start to suck. what would have happened with the ps3 launch if the 360 wasn't around? or the bone launch without the ps4

Everyone says this, but the SONY has lots of competitors; PC, Nintendo, Phone Apps are just three (the last one is a much larger market too).

Plus the last time SONY was 'unchallenged' resulted in the PS2 and that incredible era.

I don't remember gaming going down the pan when when Sega bowed out or when Atari bowed out. Microsoft vanishing leaves room for others.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe if MS went out of business the admins of the computers I use at at work would be forced to install something other than internet explorer on them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Eagerly anticipating the Google World Dictatorship.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Plus the last time SONY was 'unchallenged' resulted in the PS2 and that incredible era.

And then they totally hosed up the release of the ps3 because they were arrogant

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Andrast posted:

And then they totally hosed up the release of the ps3 because they were arrogant

I think the PS3 launch and the Xbone launch are very different kettles of fish. The PS3 was expensive as heck, but I think it was a case of trying to bring blu-ray players to the home like DVD with the PS2. I admit I don't know much about the PS3 launch other than it cost a whole ton!

The Xbone wanted to actively hurt the consumer rights though. And their attitude towards it was "You'll accept it because what else will you do." That doesn't sit very right with me.

If the PS3 launched similar to that, then please tell me because I do not want to be thinking the wrong things.

I still There is room for anyone who wants to be 'good' to us in the market to take over and for them to vanish. I've not got any allegiance to a particular brand of video gaming or games console, I just love playing all video games! :D

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Andrast posted:

"Our true fans will gladly take a second job to pay for our new console"

also all that playstation branded designer housewares

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe if MS went out of business the admins of the computers I use at at work would be forced to install something other than internet explorer on them.

You can get chrome to launch from any portable storage device and use that without leaving any traces.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The one guy I know who bought a Bone says it's been sitting there unplayed while everyone else in the apartment uses their PS4s.

The only games they seem to have are Halos and Gears of Wars.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pc, phones, and nintendo don't directly compete with sony tbh. competition is good and why the ps3 got better and why the ps4 is good. sony is not your friend and they will pull bullshit if they think they can get away with it, like when they upped the sub fee for psn for no reason

the xbox one and ps3 launches were entirely because both thought they could get away with it. they couldn't tho because their competition did something else that people liked better

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

the panacea posted:

You can get chrome to launch from any portable storage device and use that without leaving any traces.
It's not about me; I have a classroom full of students who need to use websites that just barely work or don't work because the websites suck and the browser is ancient and sucked even when it was new.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The one guy I know who bought a Bone says it's been sitting there unplayed while everyone else in the apartment uses their PS4s.

The only games they seem to have are Halos and Gears of Wars.

It's kinda telling that the only exclusive that's really done them any favours is Rare Replay. Even their big Halo anthology collection is apparently buggy as poo poo because they farmed it out and the developers won't fix game-breaking bugs.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

not every game has a prime discount in the US right now either which is kinda troubling. cod ww2 doesnt have it at all

I put in a preorder for that game just last week for early beta access and got the Prime discount.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even their big Halo anthology collection is apparently buggy as poo poo because they farmed it out and the developers won't fix game-breaking bugs.

I'm not even sure what happened there because Sabre did the Halo 1 remaster as well and that was pretty solid.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

competition is good and why the ps3 got better and why the ps4 is good. sony is not your friend and they will pull bullshit if they think they can get away with it, like when they upped the sub fee for psn for no reason

Also requiring PS+ to play PS4 online with friends is stupid. It's one of the main reasons why I stick to single player/local co-op games, and the reason why I spent xmas/new years platting Bloodborne (and helping my friend plat Old Hunters) with my 14 days free trial.
If I could buy like a 3 day weekend pass or something that would be a tiny fix, but I'm not paying for a month of something I'm only going to use in the weekends.

a pox upon paid online

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

I think the PS3 launch and the Xbone launch are very different kettles of fish. The PS3 was expensive as heck, but I think it was a case of trying to bring blu-ray players to the home like DVD with the PS2. I admit I don't know much about the PS3 launch other than it cost a whole ton!

The Xbone wanted to actively hurt the consumer rights though. And their attitude towards it was "You'll accept it because what else will you do." That doesn't sit very right with me.

If the PS3 launched similar to that, then please tell me because I do not want to be thinking the wrong things.

I still There is room for anyone who wants to be 'good' to us in the market to take over and for them to vanish. I've not got any allegiance to a particular brand of video gaming or games console, I just love playing all video games! :D
The people who made those terrible decisions are long gone. I don't see how they're going to come back but under Phil Spencer they've introduced some great things that make me actually use my bone (backwards compatibility, game pass, EA access, GWG*, a codified early access section rather than Sony pretending they don't have one) that I wish were also features of my PS4.

You seem to have a vendetta against people that aren't even at MS to even be making any decisions.

If the games were there I'd use my Xbox more than my PS4, but I don't see that ever happening at this point.

*4 games a month that are playable on Xbone, 2 of which are free forever regardless of having a gold membership.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What it seems like to me is that XB is just going to become Microsoft's Win10 proprietary gaming machine and they're going to try grabbing some split PC/XB exclusives instead of trying to compete with Sony on the console front.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean that's literally what they've been doing the past couple of years except they still call it Xbox instead of 'Win 10 machine' or something

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Akuma posted:

You seem to have a vendetta against people that aren't even at MS to even be making any decisions.

I think that's a bit of a strange statement.

I am definitely not a fan of Microsoft anymore, though. That I can say. I loved my Xbox and I started off enjoying my Xbox 360 until the changes that the dashboard underwent. From what I've seen of the division, though, and the decisions they've made I don't see them having really done anything to change.

The xbone controller still feels really awful, the dashboard is still a mess, they still cannot delta patch properly, they still don't have any games that run better or are exclusive to their console. I cannot understand the appeal.

If a new midtown madness or motocross madness came out, though, I'd just be able to get it on PC. That every game has a PC version/Xbone version is good for the PC crowd, but again, they seem to be treating the console as a complete after thought. It confuses me greatly. I'd much rather see a completely different company come along and challenge SONY. One that seems to have a solid direction and idea.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

What it seems like to me is that XB is just going to become Microsoft's Win10 proprietary gaming machine and they're going to try grabbing some split PC/XB exclusives instead of trying to compete with Sony on the console front.

They're trying, but they haven't accounted for the fact that on one side they've got the PS4 to contend with and on the other they're competing with Steam and GoG. Third-party exclusives have no chance of staying as such, because who the gently caress wants to sell their game exclusively on the Windows store when they could make far more money in Steam and GoG?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're trying, but they haven't accounted for the fact that on one side they've got the PS4 to contend with and on the other they're competing with Steam and GoG. Third-party exclusives have no chance of staying as such, because who the gently caress wants to sell their game exclusively on the Windows store when they could make far more money in Steam and GoG?

Yeah it's hard to understate how badly Microsoft bungled everything about the 360 --> One transition.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah it's hard to understate how badly Microsoft bungled everything about the 360 --> One transition.

Even their big blockbuster exclusive Quantum Break, the game they strutted about ever since the XBone launched, jumped to Steam. Hell, Cuphead is listed as a timed exclusive.

Nevermind fumbling a Platinum-made game so badly they had to shitcan it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Microsoft fumbled Scalebound, an admittedly doomed two-time castaway leftover game from Platinum, so badly that Platinum themselves nearly went out of business and were saved by NieR Automata. There are articles out there talking about how MS kept pushing for a heavy co-op focus and made all the trailers around it, but then in closed doors presentations it was this great looking single player thing but MS never advertised it as such.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

Microsoft fumbled Scalebound, an admittedly doomed two-time castaway leftover game from Platinum, so badly that Platinum themselves nearly went out of business and were saved by NieR Automata. There are articles out there talking about how MS kept pushing for a heavy co-op focus and made all the trailers around it, but then in closed doors presentations it was this great looking single player thing but MS never advertised it as such.

Wait what

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

That'd explain their sudden run of licensed titles for a quick cash-grab (Because let's face it, there's no-one who thought they were anything but a quick paycheque).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Platinum put a lot of time into Scalebound and they were really happy to see Automata become such a success because they really needed it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

Platinum put a lot of time into Scalebound and they were really happy to see Automata become such a success because they really needed it.

I think its amazing that for once Yoko Taro helped something good survive and prosper. You know, instead of making it suffer in horrific ways until it commits suicide and/or slaughters children.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fortunately Cygames likes to throw money at its mobile spinoffs, so the Platinum Granblue game shouldn't be a quick money grab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Platinum games are cherished by a specific niche but few of even their most popular releases have ever sold well. I think Nier:A was their biggest hit by a very wide margin.