Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
best part of korea was the fat kid named Dumpling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

VideoTapir posted:

I wonder how common this is in China.

One of my coworkers in China (South African expat) threw a kid (physically) out of the class and the kid wet himself (he was 15). When the staff came to talk to him about the incident the South African teacher (in fluent Mandarin) told them how the kid was calling him a whole bunch of very rude words (oval office, rear end in a top hat, etc.) infront of the class to get the rest of the students to laugh at him, not knowing he understood them.

The Chinese VP replied with, "which student told you what he said? They might have been lying."
My coworker replied with: "I heard him with my own ears!" (again, in fluent Mandarin)
The VP replied: "Maybe you didn't understand him"
The Coworker replied with a string of the swears and names the kid called him, and asked the VP if any of those were terms of endearment.

The kid got in big trouble and the parents made him bow on his knees to the teacher after school. The best part was that they kept talking to the VP and then asking him to translate, despite the South African teacher talking to them in Mandarin.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blistex posted:

The best part was that they kept talking to the VP and then asking him to translate, despite the South African teacher talking to them in Mandarin.

At what point are you allowed to call someone retarded. Because this sort of poo poo sounds very close to actual retardation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Outrail posted:

At what point are you allowed to call someone retarded. Because this sort of poo poo sounds very close to actual retardation.

oldie (and japanese) but still a goodie and relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLt5qSm9U80

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Definitely not a goodie and unfunny and cringy as poo poo why do you do this to me

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr. Nice! posted:

My life in Korea . mpg

China is not nearly as bad about this, thank christ.

E: I guess I should specify Sichuan is not nearly as bad about this, remembering TGA's stories.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Also I can count on one hand the times I've had someone who really insisted on speaking English to me, and have never had a case in a decade of living in Japan where someone didn't understand me and it wasn't my fault, as in it was the first few months here when I didn't really understand Japanese or I didn't know how to say something properly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd say... 80% of the time when I was out with an Asian friend we'd end up in a triangle where I spoke Korean to the waiter or whoever, who ignored me and spoke to the Asian friend who was silent the entire time or only speaking English to me, and then I would reply in Korean and it'd go around and around in a triangle of stupid.

I've seen it once in Japan when I was first there and visiting my friend who was fluent and the woman at the info kiosk in Shinjuku Station refused to speak Japanese to him and it took like 20 minutes of digging through dictionaries and broken English to get the directions we were after. We suspected there's some kind of dumb rule that the info kiosk person is required to speak English to foreigners or something.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 22, 2017

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Never really happened in Japan but sometimes in China.

Sometimes service staff talk to me instead of my more fluent friends so I just point and say "talk to him, not me! He's the boss"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like that. Use their love of sempai.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd say... 80% of the time when I was out with an Asian friend we'd end up in a triangle where I spoke Korean to the waiter or whoever, who ignored me and spoke to the Asian friend who was silent the entire time or only speaking English to me, and then I would reply in Korean and it'd go around and around in a triangle of stupid.

I was hanging out with a Kazakh flight attendant in Hongdae and basically spent the whole evening explaining to people that she was not korean, didn't speak korean, and talking to her about me wasn't going to help them get laid...
BTW, after however many years in korea it had been at that point, I was simply in awe at her rear end...amazing bootay.....

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

ladron posted:

I was hanging out with a Kazakh flight attendant in Hongdae and basically spent the whole evening explaining to people that she was not korean, didn't speak korean, and talking to her about me wasn't going to help them get laid

I don't think I've ever experienced this. Maybe things have changed? I kind of like Korea.

I did recently discover that leaving Seoul is bad for my blood pressure, though. All of the sudden the happy, modern city full of cosmopolitan young people was relaxed by humidity, mosquitos and packs of wild loving dogs chasing me around an otherwise nice beach.

Seriously, people just leave their dogs outside for a few days when they're on vacation and they form packs of aggressive Jindo mutts, is bizarre and totally the opposite of what I'd expect Koreans to do, given how orderly everything is in Seoul.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like Korea too but they're also really dumb about anything not Korea. It's also improved, I first moved there in 2011 and things have changed quite a bit since then, even though it's not that long. People were much weirder about non-Koreans. My last visit was in February and I don't think I got stared at once and people were fine with speaking Korean to me, even though I speak it much worse than when I lived there since I don't use it anymore. Seoul can also be quite different, I never lived there.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

TsarZiedonis posted:

humidity, mosquitos and packs of wild loving dogs chasing me around an otherwise nice beach.

man for real stay away from thailand

TsarZiedonis posted:

I don't think I've ever experienced this. Maybe things have changed? I kind of like Korea.

how good is your korean?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Haha, I loved Thailand! I just expect those things to be part of my experience there. It's a little jarring when you've only experienced Seoul and it turns out that driving 90 minutes down the highway is like a time warp back to the 80's or something. I guess the same thing is true in the US, though.

I don't speak Korean at all, actually. I really only spend like, a month there a year and that's usually combined, not all at once. My gf's work schedule kind of determines where we go. When people are looking at me and talking, I just assume they're saying something nice! When Koreans speak to me about foreigners in public, it's usually while rolling their eyes as some mainland Chinese tourist does something rude. I still speak intelligible mandarin so the tourists will snap out of whatever rude thing they're doing and treat me in a friendly way, though.

All of the Koreans I know are kind of a strange bubble of people who emigrated abroad or married foreigners, though. They are all really cosmopolitan, although they all refuse to run the AC in the worst, most humid parts of summer and just leave every window open. My new way to tell the difference between a Korean who moved to America and an actual Korean-American is the native Korean will just open windows when it's 100% humidity and pretend it's totally fine, and a Korean-American will join me in immediately cranking up that sweet loving AC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That explains a lot. Living there for four years is a much different experience.

I made a conscious decision to stop learning Korean when I could start understanding people having really stupid conversations and realized how much I appreciated not having to overhear those (going back to the US was torture for that) and when I could understand all the people being insulting to myself and/or friends. Out walking with an Asian girl and old women calling her a whore, that kind of thing.

E: Also Korea now seems immensely better in comparison to living in China.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 22, 2017

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Do you mean that Korea is nicer to live in? Why do you think so?

Also I think I might relocate to Korea more permanently at some point soon, so I'm getting more into the idea of learning Korean and all that.

People definitely don't seem "nice" on the street in Seoul, but I don't know if that's just a big city thing. I mean like people driving in their cars and bumping into one another on sidewalks seem rude and ready to get *really* angry at the drop of the hat. Actually talking to someone seems to produce only kind, helpful people.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Korean culture has the normal East Asia thing of your friends being super close and gently caress anyone you don't know personally. It's just not as extreme as China.

Korea's a nicer place to live because it's cleaner in every aspect other than the piles of street garbage, things are mostly functional, better internet access, less concern about poisoned food/water, people are more pleasant, there are concepts of public politeness and decency, better and less dangerous drivers. I find the younger people in Korea much less weird and making friends was easier. Once you get out of the ugly-rear end concrete towers it's a pretty country. It's nice that it's tiny and you can go all around the country easily with the KTX. I miss the drinking/late night culture and having good dive bars. Full literacy in a day was also real nice.

The worst aspects are the pay is lower, cost of living is higher, job options are far more limited, and as much as I like Korean food it gets boring after a while, not much variety. Also the nationalist poo poo is really irritating.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Which country has the best rear end? I'm looking to teach English overseas and this is my only concern.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

In East Asia? Korea, no contest.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

TsarZiedonis posted:

Do you mean that Korea is nicer to live in? Why do you think so?

Also I think I might relocate to Korea more permanently at some point soon, so I'm getting more into the idea of learning Korean and all that.

People definitely don't seem "nice" on the street in Seoul, but I don't know if that's just a big city thing. I mean like people driving in their cars and bumping into one another on sidewalks seem rude and ready to get *really* angry at the drop of the hat. Actually talking to someone seems to produce only kind, helpful people.

I'll let others comment on the "niceness" of koreans.

there's free (like 1000 won) korean classes at sookdae on saturdays. google it. the teachers are sookdae students and are really enthusiastic.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Korea is a pain in the was but the badonk game is on point.

Source: I look at butts.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

ladron posted:

there's free (like 1000 won) korean classes at sookdae on saturdays. google it. the teachers are sookdae students and are really enthusiastic.

Whoa, that sounds really cool!

I've only dated one Korean girl, but she's super flat, in all respects. I've seen girls on the street with decent looking boobs, but when you look closely you can see it's all from a padded bra and it like ends where the bra ends. I'm assuming butts are similarly nonexistent. Some Chinese girls can have really nice bodies, if you're into that.

Every girl on the streets in Seoul looks like a model, although if you look closely most will just be average looking Asian girls, in lots and lots of well applied makeup. Still, they make me feel like a slob.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I look at butts.

:heysexy::hf::heysexy:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I stopped doing the levon twitter account because I was getting "irony poisoning" but with "racism"/chinglish.

I was literally thinking in Chinglish through large portions of the day. Like, if I saw anything on the street that was mildly amusing, or if anything out of the ordinary ever happened to me, I'd hear this Chinglish voice start commentating in my head. "Wow, that`s so the lovely dog!" etc.

The twitter account basically meant that I had a mainland Chinese guy that I hated living in my head and keeping all the poo poo that I don't like about Chinese culture inside of my mind as a part of me. There's actually cool things about China that I do like, but the account was in no way helping me keep that stuff in mind, and it just poisoned me really hard against stuff in ways that weren't really at all healthy.

I think this thread does that a lot too more or less...basically if you are living in China right now, I 100% understand the cathartic feeling of venting about all the annoying poo poo about China and Chinese culture to others who understand it, but for someone like me who hasn't lived there for 7-8 years and hasn't even BEEN there in like 4 years, why was I dedicating so much of my time and recreation and life to basically dumping on China?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

angel opportunity posted:

I stopped doing the levon twitter account because I was getting "irony poisoning" but with "racism"/chinglish.

I was literally thinking in Chinglish through large portions of the day. Like, if I saw anything on the street that was mildly amusing, or if anything out of the ordinary ever happened to me, I'd hear this Chinglish voice start commentating in my head. "Wow, that`s so the lovely dog!" etc.

This sounds like you became permabanned user levonstomper58.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I just came back from a family trip from Bangkok.

I blame farangs and other hippies for wearing stupid elephant pants and setting the trend. Well at least Bangkok and SEA is a lot richer than before and you have Vietnamese tourists visiting Thailand

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

The twitter account basically meant that I had a mainland Chinese guy that I hated living in my head and keeping all the poo poo that I don't like about Chinese culture inside of my mind as a part of me. There's actually cool things about China that I do like, but the account was in no way helping me keep that stuff in mind, and it just poisoned me really hard against stuff in ways that weren't really at all healthy.

I think this thread does that a lot too more or less...basically if you are living in China right now, I 100% understand the cathartic feeling of venting about all the annoying poo poo about China and Chinese culture to others who understand it, but for someone like me who hasn't lived there for 7-8 years and hasn't even BEEN there in like 4 years, why was I dedicating so much of my time and recreation and life to basically dumping on China?

holy poo poo dude talk about staring into the abyss and having it stare back

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

My life in Korea . mpg

China is not nearly as bad about this, thank christ.

E: I guess I should specify Sichuan is not nearly as bad about this, remembering TGA's stories.
I'd never had this happen to me in China. Pretty much the opposite. Like people start talking to me in Mandarin and when I don't understand something they would switch to Cantonese. And expecting a white dude in China to speak Cantonese is impressively optimistic.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

im permabanned poster levonstomper58. i first started visiting chinar when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "face" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "you can have a rest" and "the courage push the bravery!" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "face" style of chinar humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" face to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If you get probated for ~files~ can you call it exfile?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

ok, be cool, be cool, don't let him notice how excited you are...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

sempai!! welcome home

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Apparently there is a typhoon landing tomorrow. I had no idea. RIP my plans for the rest of the week.

Pirate Radar posted:

If you get probated for ~files~ can you call it exfile?
I was not mad about the probation, it was hilarious to me too. I was just like "Huh, that was stupid to post a link to :filez: on here. LOL" The movie loving sucked so bad. He's supposed to be drat leprechaun, and he has a full-blown Australian accent.

ladron posted:

ok, be cool, be cool, don't let him notice how excited you are...
I am fine. Not much to be updating about.
Chaoshan Girl and I have gone our separate ways officially, but we will keep minor contact on Wechat. She was upset to find out that her TCM gallbladder medicine is boiled chicken and animal gallbladders with some stevia in it, to get all that Qi out and transfer it to her gallbladder. I'm so over talking about TCM with Chinese people.
I had some dates with some super hot singer woman from Tantan, but no real action yet. I got stood up by some other woman that demanded I suck on her dry nasty feet (I would never do it). I got heat stroke after way too much walking and had to spend two days of chugging water and ORS electrolyte packs to recover. My boss moved to one of her other houses, got rid of the office, and now I work from my room. Her other house is really swank, over 1 million USD and fully paid for already, and close inspection reveals much chabuduo in all the right places.
A typical week for me.

My boss said I can come back next year if I want and hang on a tourist visa for 4-6 months. I told her I will think about it, but probably not. VPNs are probably going to be gone in February, and I will be in india or Thailand at that time and can watch the aftermath on r/China.

I can totally relate to this, especially the last few sentences. I don't want to be reliving my China experiences once I leave here, but I know it will take me some time to cool down from that when I get asked by everyone I know "how was China?" Face culture flashbacks.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://giant.gfycat.com/ShowyHandsomeAfricanjacana.webm

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

I'm not 100% about anything going on in that.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Haier posted:

Her other house is really swank, over 1 million USD and fully paid for already, and close inspection reveals much chabuduo in all the right places.

Go on. Like what? Doors don't close properly? Taps leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
[quote="“GoutPatrol”" post="“475614617”"]
[/quote]

Hahahaha that’s what immediately came to my mind halfway though the post.

• Locked thread