Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

NikkolasKing posted:

I never get enough of shoot interviews or "real life" analyses like this. Although I fear that all the peeks behind the curtain and, hell, the curtain being utterly wrecked, is going to really hinder my ability to find the magic in wrestling I used to when I was younger.

From a while back - but Simon from WhatCulture.com Wrestling has kinda offered an answer to this while also talking about a wrestler and his almighty penis. He argues that in order to enjoy wrestling you need a mindset that allows you to flip from the wacky to the serious, and once you've mastered that, you can enjoy the 'sport' regardless of how dumb or real it is. Find that zone and the Curtain you mention just stops existing and you wont miss it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNDj_wUaF4k

WhatCulture Wrestling is a pretty good channel (There is a WhatCulture Gaming channel which is hot garbage. avoid that) that churns out Youtube Listicles, Event reviews, predictions and more (specifically their own wrestling promotion) at a rate of knots but manages to keep a pretty high level of information and funny. I'd recommend adding them to your subs list.

[/plug]

e: hell yeah +2 wrestling pagesnipe combo!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If they stopped existing, middlebrow hacks everywhere would lose a reason to justify a lack of effort

your standards regarding what is or isn't worth spending time to criticize seem pretty drat arbitrary

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Augus posted:

your standards regarding what is or isn't worth spending time to criticize seem pretty drat arbitrary

Okay

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of wrestling, Bennett has a new anime abandon episode out talking about DBZ

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Arcsquad12 posted:

Speaking of wrestling, Bennett has a new anime abandon episode out talking about DBZ

what a sell out

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KayTee posted:

From a while back - but Simon from WhatCulture.com Wrestling has kinda offered an answer to this while also talking about a wrestler and his almighty penis. He argues that in order to enjoy wrestling you need a mindset that allows you to flip from the wacky to the serious, and once you've mastered that, you can enjoy the 'sport' regardless of how dumb or real it is. Find that zone and the Curtain you mention just stops existing and you wont miss it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNDj_wUaF4k

WhatCulture Wrestling is a pretty good channel (There is a WhatCulture Gaming channel which is hot garbage. avoid that) that churns out Youtube Listicles, Event reviews, predictions and more (specifically their own wrestling promotion) at a rate of knots but manages to keep a pretty high level of information and funny. I'd recommend adding them to your subs list.

[/plug]

e: hell yeah +2 wrestling pagesnipe combo!

Thank you for that link. I've heard a lot about WhatCulture on here and other places so I should be following them.

Would Meltzer and Alvarez count as Internet Critics nowadays? Some people on this forum seem to dislike Meltzer in spite of him being like, the biggest non-wrestling guy in the wrestling business. But I just finished Death of WCW and it made me very interested in Alvarez and Meltzer. Dave didn't write it but he and Bryan had a lot of great vids I found on YT after finishing the book.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The wrestling observer is basically entirely an online product nowadays so I'd say it counts.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NikkolasKing posted:

Would Meltzer and Alvarez count as Internet Critics nowadays? Some people on this forum seem to dislike Meltzer in spite of him being like, the biggest non-wrestling guy in the wrestling business. But I just finished Death of WCW and it made me very interested in Alvarez and Meltzer. Dave didn't write it but he and Bryan had a lot of great vids I found on YT after finishing the book.

I'd say that they do. I always track down both Brian & Vinny and the Wrestling Observer run downs of WWE PPVs because I'm personally losing interest in watching the WWE shows myself so getting run downs from people that care but are willing to tear down a product when necessary is nice.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Bryan and Vinny is appointment listening for me. The rest I listen to when I want to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea most is hit and miss but B&V is always worth the listen.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not really an internet critic, but man, I just learned that the dude who wrote that Axe Cop comic is one of those "the Nazis and Antifa are both bad people, it's thought police to consider certain thoughts wrong" people. Ugh.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MisterBibs posted:

Not really an internet critic, but man, I just learned that the dude who wrote that Axe Cop comic is one of those "the Nazis and Antifa are both bad people, it's thought police to consider certain thoughts wrong" people. Ugh.

https://twitter.com/AXECOP/status/899068532914241536

https://twitter.com/AXECOP/status/899099931482312704

https://twitter.com/AXECOP/status/899076282645860353

https://twitter.com/AXECOP/status/899101146073055233

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 20, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao omg

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was hopeful when he said that, too, but when I noticed he retweeted a dude equating Antifa with the alt-right, combined with him thinking it's worrying to thought police anyone, made me realize he was just bullshitting. It should never be worrying when its the Nazis and/or the alt right.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 20, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That's one hell of an attempted runback at the end, but pretty much yeah people can gently caress off with their crocodile tears over neo-nazis getting socked or whatever else. It's almost always either someone too flimsy to hold a real opinion like "Nazis are bad", that or it's someone fishing for online good boy points for farting out some idiotic "All violence is totally the same and bad" shtick. Like sorry but there are some situations where violence isn't avoidable and historically even was the answer, guess what ideology mysteriously forces confrontations like this way more than others.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 20, 2017

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
once someone believes genocide is a legitimate political belief, anything is fair game

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

KayTee posted:

They just started a comics channel that's much, much worse than the gaming one. But the wrestling channel is consistently great. WCPW seems like a solid indie fed too. One of their earlier shows had a Kurt Angle/Cody Rhodes main event.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Cinemasins pisses people off because: a) It's poo poo.

b) Everyone has sat in a room with a friend or family member whose has done the exact same thing; talked all the way through the film and try to prove how smart they are by trying to one-up the film, but been wrong and annoying at pretty much every turn. who then loudly complains that "it doesn't make any sense" because they talked over the bit where the film explained what was going on.

So it's not so much cinemasins itself (which is indescribably poo poo still), it's that everyone who hates it is probably thinking of "that" person in their own life.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y43vWEPkceM

Holy poo poo this film! :D

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Karloff posted:

b) Everyone has sat in a room with a friend or family member whose has done the exact same thing; talked all the way through the film and try to prove how smart they are by trying to one-up the film, but been wrong and annoying at pretty much every turn. who then loudly complains that "it doesn't make any sense" because they talked over the bit where the film explained what was going on.

So it's not so much cinemasins itself (which is indescribably poo poo still), it's that everyone who hates it is probably thinking of "that" person in their own life.

I will fight you if what you're doing here is lumping riffing in with whatever Cinemasins is doing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Riffing can be bad if not worse. It's also impossible to be funny if you don't have jokes already written out or thought of before hand.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CelticPredator posted:

It's also impossible to be funny if you don't have jokes already written out or thought of before hand.

:wrong:

Just making GBS threads on bad things as they go is a good time and you don't need some script for that.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the point is more it can be fun to watch something bad and riff with friends, but then there's also That Guy who just wants to poo poo on Star Wars and constantly point out poo poo like "there's no sound in space you know".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Riffing can be bad if not worse. It's also impossible to be funny if you don't have jokes already written out or thought of before hand.

If you need a script to have a good time watching movies with a buddy then maybe you're doing this whole friendship thing wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You said riffing not having fun with friends.

Also you can still be obnoxious at it if you won't shut up and just make bad jokes the entire movie non stop.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Making bad jokes is a local cultural fascination where I grew up :shobon:

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I think the point is more it can be fun to watch something bad and riff with friends, but then there's also That Guy who just wants to poo poo on Star Wars and constantly point out poo poo like "there's no sound in space you know".

To extend the parallel with musical riffing, there's playing variations on a theme with friends, and then there's one guy strumming the intro to Wonderwall over and over again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Making bad jokes is a local cultural fascination where I grew up :shobon:

Oh, you grew up on the forums too? :v:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KayTee posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y43vWEPkceM

Holy poo poo this film! :D

Holy poo poo. I think we found the next Neil Breen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Oh, you grew up on the forums too? :v:

That would explain so much, sadly no

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Star Wars and constantly point out poo poo like "there's no sound in space you know".

"This is a different Galaxy. Space works different. Also, a long time ago the Universe was denser, so interstellar particles were closer together, making rudimentary sound transfer possible, even through space. Also, shut the gently caress up, you douche-nozzle, no one likes you"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

lornekates posted:

"This is a different Galaxy. Space works different. Also, a long time ago the Universe was denser, so interstellar particles were closer together, making rudimentary sound transfer possible, even through space. Also, shut the gently caress up, you douche-nozzle, no one likes you"

There's a sci-fi book ive been trying to remember for years that explores this idea but with dark energy and dark matter.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

lornekates posted:

"It's a movie about laser swords and magic powers. Nobody cares about the physics, they're here for pew-pew lasers."

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Even if you're poking fun, sometimes people still take issue.

"Oh man, he must've fallen fifty-seven stories! Good thing they put the pool so close to the hotel. Thank goodness for those water-softening pellets."

"I know people still die from falling from great heights into water. Can it with your jokes and let me watch this in peace!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"He woulda bleed to death after jumping through the glass!!"

I love Double Toasted a lot, but they do this poo poo all the time. It's really off putting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

"He woulda bleed to death after jumping through the glass!!"

I love Double Toasted a lot, but they do this poo poo all the time. It's really off putting.

"It's sugar glass and it's a stuntman with protective gear just in case. You idiot."

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Karloff posted:

Its pedantry disguised as analysis. A few years ago I was thinking of doing a piss-take of that kind of perspective by taking movies beloved by nerds, nit-picking them to death and then declaring that they're a worthless addition to any culture. Then I realised that it'd be a total slog because its extremely easy to do, its incredibly boring and is utterly joyless.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
In other words, it's using an arbitrary set of standards against which they ding the movie every time it violates said standards. None of the errors attack the central conceits of the films they criticize, they're surface-level nitpicks built around making the author appear deeply discerning rather than just thick.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Neeksy posted:

In other words, it's using an arbitrary set of standards against which they ding the movie every time it violates said standards. None of the errors attack the central conceits of the films they criticize, they're surface-level nitpicks built around making the author appear deeply discerning rather than just thick.

But enough about Doug Walker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Even if you're poking fun, sometimes people still take issue.

"Oh man, he must've fallen fifty-seven stories! Good thing they put the pool so close to the hotel. Thank goodness for those water-softening pellets."

"I know people still die from falling from great heights into water. Can it with your jokes and let me watch this in peace!"

The worst part is that they never want to avail their cosmically enlighted super brain to every part of ridiculousness in the entertainment.

"You drove into that guy doing 80 MPH, force field or not, he's dead."

"Wow, a beanbag from a cannon that big would kill him."

Yet never a word about the woman/plant or the genetic abomination combined of man and bat.

• Locked thread