Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hey guys complaining about RNG. Start dropping at school/military base instead of the middle of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Chard posted:

Never underestimate the S12K folks, I think I've won more games with that gun than any other.

I love the S12K if only because I'm almost 100% guaranteed to miss my two shots with the double barrel.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This could be neat (?). I haven't tried Shadowplay.

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-adds-shadowplay-highlights-and-hbao-plus

quote:

...today at a special NVIDIA event at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany, the developers PUBG took to the stage to announce that the world’s most popular multiplayer shooter has been enhanced with ShadowPlay Highlights.

This new NVIDIA technology automatically captures your best PUBG moments. So now, when you get kills, die, win a match, or knockout yourself or your enemies, ShadowPlay Highlights will automatically save a gameplay clip that you can quickly edit before uploading to your favorite sites and services.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Anything that does automatically at best guess something that you can otherwise control precisely with a single press of a button just sounds annoying as hell. Also, every single time nvidia has updated shadowplay (or SHARE as its now called, because nvidia hates easily searchable terms?) they have made it worse, so I have no doubt this will be a hard drive filling trash fire gimmick that pretty much everyone will disable at first opportunity

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Anything that does automatically at best guess something that you can otherwise control precisely with a single press of a button just sounds annoying as hell. Also, every single time nvidia has updated shadowplay (or SHARE as its now called, because nvidia hates easily searchable terms?) they have made it worse, so I have no doubt this will be a hard drive filling trash fire gimmick that pretty much everyone will disable at first opportunity

People have been asking for the ability to put shortcuts on the mouse for years now and Nvidia has ignored it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well they were too busy implementing the feature everyone wanted, which was mandatory signups and logins to use Shadowplay.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
This is kind of cool. Although everyone plays at the lowest graphical settings so it's lost on everyone but the soon to be console players.

https://twitter.com/PLAYERUNKNOWN/status/899601362887069696

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Dyz posted:

Well...

In Quake FFA you spawn with next to nothing. In order to win you need to move to locations around the map to pick up weapons and armor in order to become stronger. Every so often a powerup like quad damage appears somewhere in the arena.

What Im saying is this game totally ripped off Quake.

PUBG desperately needs a :hellyeah: or bluehole is actively killing this game.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

aniviron posted:

Well they were too busy implementing the feature everyone wanted, which was mandatory signups and logins to use Shadowplay.

The fact that they made me login to use shadowplay on my offline desktop app made me uninstall it right away. which is a shame cause i really liked shadowplay

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Just Chamber posted:

Everyone starts with a crossbow with a single bolt

And you can't loot other people's bolts so you only get one insta gib chance and if you want it for the end you have to lug around an xbow...or maybe it doesn't work after two minutes.

Last thing about forcing a kar and a scope to spawn in pochinki turns it into a treasure hunt for the lot goblins and you'll never leave till you find it. It's unnecessary information that you're guaranteed any sort of loot except bullets for the guns that drop and way too many baseball hats.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

This is kind of cool. Although everyone plays at the lowest graphical settings so it's lost on everyone but the soon to be console players.

this is like when a budding visual artist first discovers bump maps and cranks everything up to 1000. That's so overdone.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Hamelekim posted:

When do I get my vaulting put in the game?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

diapermeat posted:

When do I get my vaulting put in the game?

I too want to vault into buildings instead of using doors, thanks.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
You can jump through the a lot of the windows already though

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Parallel Playa posted:

Yeah, just bind shift+space for both crouch and jump for the secondary triggers. Hold shift, press W to move forward then space to jump crouch. Makes jumping through windows and over walls so much easier.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Parallel Playa posted:

Sure, but I'd rather have a more fluid experience rather than a clunky work around.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I'm excited for when movement in this game doesn't feel like I'm a potato awkwardly bumping into other potatoes.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I'm excited for when movement in this game doesn't feel like I'm a potato awkwardly bumping into other potatoes.

well yeah but it's eastern europe. it's intentional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiqqC_fbP1c

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Hooplah posted:

well yeah but it's eastern europe. it's intentional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiqqC_fbP1c

There's enough time to recite this whole thing in the time it takes your character to get to full speed from a standstill

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

WhatEvil posted:

In poker one game has many many hands which are basically all distinct, and your luck evens out across a tournament. Of course over many games of PUBG your luck will also even out, but one "hand" (i.e. your starting drop location's loot) is potentially 30 minutes long. Not really the same thing.

I don't think this is quite the right way to interpret PUBG's random game. A single game is a table with many hands, and the first hand you're dealt is based on where you choose. You choose high loot high competition spots, you're essentially going all in to try and get a boost in the later engagements. You can also play low risk, but then you're ceding control of the late game to ride your way to it, you might not have the resources to take on later fights properly, just like a poker player who is just coasting rather than trying to build their stack.

I think the key problem to making it competitive is the reality that no player can consistently win every game, so having a player's status in the tournament be based on a singular game is just going to be way too swingy to be exciting.

The ideal tournament structure might be one with a continually rising minimum threshold of points or something, with players being eliminated if they can't keep up with this threshold, points tallied across games. That way a premature death isn't a certain knockout from the tournament. A win isn't a guarantee of a total win, but rather a comfortable buffer so you can play more conservatively later on when it really counts. At any rate it'd be interesting to see what structure works, but I doubt you can get away with less than 3-4 games to really shake out the field fairly.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Qmass posted:

The RNG really is not bad in this game. It is so rare to the point of being exceptional (as it should) that you come away from a drop alive and lacking an AR. Any more certainty would make the game boring...

The effect of RNG decreases as your play becomes more aggressive. If you are hiding, moving slowly or away from players, and generally avoidant of conflict, of course your wins/success will be aggressively influenced by RNG.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 22, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

causticBeet posted:

The effect of RNG decreases as your play becomes more aggressive. If you are hiding, moving slowly or away from players, and generally avoidant of conflict, of course your wins/success will be aggressively influenced by RNG.
This seems especially true in squads - in solo there are plenty of low-traffic places with enough loot for one person. Obviously a little aggression will still go a long way but it doesn't feel all that necessary, just fun.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Melee in the first few minutes of an FPP game is kind of funny. I got into a fight with someone earlier, and after a solid minute of whiffs we both gave up, ran to the nearest gun and came back.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Melee in the first few minutes of an FPP game is kind of funny. I got into a fight with someone earlier, and after a solid minute of whiffs we both gave up, ran to the nearest gun and came back.

I hate melee, and its even harder & more disorienting in first person, but sometimes its funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjhYDVKRsdo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Fpp is really the best. I just had a game with two kills, which isn't notable, except that for each kill I stalked the dudes for like 2-3 minutes to make sure that I would have no issues killing them. The first guy walked into a poo poo shack, and it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Even though I had a P92 and he had an M4. A better player would have noticed me for sure, but even an idiot playing 3pp probably would have noticed me too.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Jerkface posted:

I hate melee, and its even harder & more disorienting in first person, but sometimes its funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjhYDVKRsdo

Fun like ipecac.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

DrNutt posted:

Fpp is really the best. I just had a game with two kills, which isn't notable, except that for each kill I stalked the dudes for like 2-3 minutes to make sure that I would have no issues killing them. The first guy walked into a poo poo shack, and it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Even though I had a P92 and he had an M4. A better player would have noticed me for sure, but even an idiot playing 3pp probably would have noticed me too.

It's SO much easier to hide in FPP mode. A lot of my friends have started solely playing that now just because it's easier to play more strategically.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Did they mess with how sound works at all lately, or has anyone noticed that sound works differently in fpp vs tpp? I'm suddenly finding it way way harder to echo-locate nearby footsteps, gunshots, engines, everything. It's very strange because it's not like the effect is diminished or anything, it's straight up not there any more.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Hamelekim posted:

I've found the game incredibly improved performance wise after the last two patches. I've been able to crank every setting up to high/medium with a stable 80-90FPS.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Drove through a field to find a place to hole up in the new circle. Saw some houses, went right at them and oh gently caress poo poo gently caress I'm being shot at. I bailed right at the first house, intending to use it for cover to shoot the guy shooting me, but another guy in another car came in hot.

Ran into the small house, slammed the door behind me. There wasn't any cover, so I fled into the bathroom and shut the door. House friend and car friend had a fight, and I am pretty sure house friend won. I listened to him stalking around, looking for me, throwing grenades. He knew I was there. He hadn't heard me leave. He was hunting.

After a few minutes, I heard him enter my tiny house. He moved around a little, then went right to the bathroom. He had on his person an AR, a sniper rifle, multiple frag grenades, heals for days- an enormous inventory of tools to murder me sideways.

Motherfucker ran right up to the door and opened it, whereupon I blasted him across the chest with a 12 gauge from inches. I did not know you could yell at people on VOIP after you died. :allears:

Megasabin posted:

I've found the game incredibly improved performance wise after the last two patches. I've been able to crank every setting up to high/medium with a stable 80-90FPS.

I run the game on high/ultra for a lot of things ( not grass ) and it runs silky smooth except those first few minutes. It isn't even consistently bad. Some games load fine and I'm right in from the start. Other games load for poo poo and the buildings are all weird. Happens way more in FPP than TPP, which is a shame, because I really do like FPP more. That and the locational sound being kinda 'eh' are the only problems I have with the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Drove through a field to find a place to hole up in the new circle. Saw some houses, went right at them and oh gently caress poo poo gently caress I'm being shot at. I bailed right at the first house, intending to use it for cover to shoot the guy shooting me, but another guy in another car came in hot.

Ran into the small house, slammed the door behind me. There wasn't any cover, so I fled into the bathroom and shut the door. House friend and car friend had a fight, and I am pretty sure house friend won. I listened to him stalking around, looking for me, throwing grenades. He knew I was there. He hadn't heard me leave. He was hunting.

After a few minutes, I heard him enter my tiny house. He moved around a little, then went right to the bathroom. He had on his person an AR, a sniper rifle, multiple frag grenades, heals for days- an enormous inventory of tools to murder me sideways.

Motherfucker ran right up to the door and opened it, whereupon I blasted him across the chest with a 12 gauge from inches. I did not know you could yell at people on VOIP after you died. :allears:

I run the game on high/ultra for a lot of things ( not grass ) and it runs silky smooth except those first few minutes. It isn't even consistently bad. Some games load fine and I'm right in from the start. Other games load for poo poo and the buildings are all weird. Happens way more in FPP than TPP, which is a shame, because I really do like FPP more. That and the locational sound being kinda 'eh' are the only problems I have with the game.

I wonder if that guy knows you can shoot through doors and toss nades through them. Probably not.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Do I need to have the Test Server installed to queue for FPP servers? If so I'll have to set it to download over night because my internet is dogshit. (:australia:)

Played my third game just now, got my first ever kill after emptying a full auto P18C into a dude's back. Reloaded, waited for any friends of his to come out and hunt me, or for anyone to come out and try to loot him, got shot by someone completely unrelated with an SKS from a treeline 150m away.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Memento posted:

Do I need to have the Test Server installed to queue for FPP servers? If so I'll have to set it to download over night because my internet is dogshit. (:australia:)

Nah, FPP is just a game mode you choose in the lobby, it's baked into the main game

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Nah, FPP is just a game mode you choose in the lobby, it's baked into the main game

But there isn't OCE servers for FPP yet I don't think.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Maluco Marinero posted:

OK that makes sense, there was some odd information out there like "yeah you can totally just queue for them, it's right there", but I couldn't see anything.

Thanks.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Maluco Marinero posted:

that's awful.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Yep, I don't understand why. I try playing FPP on AS but it's 200+ ping and awful.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hamelekim posted:

I wonder how long it will be until they are selling custom parachutes. That is definitely going to be a thing.

They used to have different parachutes for Twitch streamers

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
for those of you who are using the new shadowplay feature, you have to click save on each clip to actually retain them all. Also, it will pick up discord in the clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
should i be buying these gamescom crates to sell after the event or hoarding the currency for the next crate?

i want to make as much money on hats as possible

• Locked thread