Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ7N4GLoiBA

Somebody has finally done a CF791 review. Like, a legit one. Finally.

(It's Gamers' Nexus, of course, and it's a deep dive into its Freesync woes with Polaris and Vega.)

Plot twist: The flickering problems are present in Polaris and FE, but gone with Vega 56?!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

what kind of person buys a freesync monitor at this point? :v:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

eames posted:

what kind of person buys a freesync monitor at this point? :v:

The same kind that buys AMD after this clusterfuck.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I mean, Freesync is supposed to be the industry baseline. (Once Intel gets off their asses and AMD unfucks their poo poo.)

The expectation is that eventually, there will be no non-G-sync, non-Freesync monitors on the market, but AMD sure are hurting their chances with that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Plot twist: The flickering problems are present in Polaris and FE, but gone with Vega 56?!

I was going to ask about this last night (re: PS+DSBR being activated or not on FE) but seriously what is the deal here? Wasn't Vega FE supposed to get the same driver updates as RX Vega? Why would it work on one and not the other? :raise:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So heres the Vega pricing rant.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

I was going to ask about this last night (re: PS+DSBR being activated or not on FE) but seriously what is the deal here? Wasn't Vega FE supposed to get the same driver updates as RX Vega? Why would it work on one and not the other? :raise:

Apparently FE is still on an older branch of the driver, the same as 500 series.

Your bewilderment mirrors mine, I can only assume that the fix that makes the CF791 usable under Freesync won't reach Polars-and-earlier until they get a major Vega driver release out that has all the purported features that Vega is loving supposed to have enabled.

Which is really lovely, but at this point, it's "hm, do I feel like adding another layer to my already poo poo-stained self by rolling in that pile of *green* poop, or that pile of *orange* poop?" It's all bad, AMD just has to get through this.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
We condemn the bad graphics cards on all sides, on many sides.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Apparently AMD had a hotchips presentation today on thier "Next Generation GPU Uarch". I can't find anything on it yet, is this them talking about Vega or more hilariously, discussing Navi?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I was waiting for this. Probably not quite as epic as Linus wandering Shanghai or whatever getting lost while talking about what the gently caress X299, but still pretty great. A+ Jay.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Why does he say Vega is a beast at mining?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Why does he say Vega is a beast at mining?

Vega has been benched getting like 37 MH with unoptimized routines, the only cards that are higher are ones using routines optimized for them. It also does very well when heavily undervolted so the power consumption does not look nearly as bad as you would think. I've heard claims of 46 MH with undervolted Vega, and that was before the special mining driver.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Be interesting to see how it does with optimized routines.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mooktastical posted:

EVGA got a ton of poo poo for that, way more than what was actually warranted. link

That being said, I still would have gotten the 1080 for that difference. Gigabyte isn't a disreputable manufacturer by any means.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That is no reason to trust or distrust EVGA, the VRM ran hot but well within spec. The failures were due to faulty parts, faulty parts that they had no ability to test and that none of the AIBs have the ability to test, they all depend on quality control from the parts manufacturer but sometimes a bad batch slips through and there is nothing they can do about it other than replace the failed cards. They only added the thermal pads and updated the cooler design because they needed to do something to stop people panicking, it was a PR move.

Sorry, I should have worded my post better to make it sound like the sarcasm I intended. I actually trust EVGA and just bought one of EVGA's 1080s.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

FaustianQ posted:

Apparently AMD had a hotchips presentation today on thier "Next Generation GPU Uarch". I can't find anything on it yet, is this them talking about Vega or more hilariously, discussing Navi?
a talk on Vega with almost no new info

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SourKraut posted:

Sorry, I should have worded my post better to make it sound like the sarcasm I intended. I actually trust EVGA and just bought one of EVGA's 1080s.

Yeah, all that posting last night made me pensive and consider if I should sell my card (or I guess return it to Newegg at a $70 restocking penalty, either one will probably cost me the same after fees and shipping) and then buy the 1080 I passed on with Destiny 2. Overall that will cost about $150, though the cost of the game cuts that down somewhat since I want it anyway.

Meh. gently caress it. If I really can't get by on an 8GB card because ohmigosh the computing power, then something is wrong.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, all that posting last night made me pensive and consider if I should sell my card (or I guess return it to Newegg at a $70 restocking penalty, either one will probably cost me the same after fees and shipping) and then buy the 1080 I passed on with Destiny 2. Overall that will cost about $150, though the cost of the game cuts that down somewhat since I want it anyway.

Meh. gently caress it. If I really can't get by on an 8GB card because ohmigosh the computing power, then something is wrong.

Yeah, I'm probably going to sell the Destiny 2 code (I think I can?) since I'm not interested in it and that'll drop the effective cost some.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I'm probably going to sell the Destiny 2 code (I think I can?) since I'm not interested in it and that'll drop the effective cost some.

You can sell it to anyone with a 1080/ti, but not anyone outside of that demographic. You have to redeem it through GFE which checks your hardware but obviously not your purchase date.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Just tell Newegg you havent opened it or it has driver issues. You wont get hit with a restock fee. Also gently caress Newegg for their return policy. Although I would feel bad about someone else ending up buying a used gpu as new.

I recently returned an unopened ryzen processor that I realized was non refundable after I bought it. It was really strange to me you couldnt return it but I complained about it. Amazon is so much better than Newegg in this aspect.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 22, 2017

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006

SourKraut posted:

I will buy it from you (or anyone.) I even made an SA Mart thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831263

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Twain of Pain posted:

I will buy it from you (or anyone.) I even made an SA Mart thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831263

Sure, if it will let me sell it, it's yours.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SourKraut posted:

I have sold 2, its not hard at all and totally possible for someone other than the original buyer to redeem as long as they have geforce experience installed and a 1080/ti in the system

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Rad. I just got a 1080ti (right before the promo :argh: ) so it shouldn't be a problem to redeem it. Shoot me an email and I'll paypal you and all that good stuff - elindvall at gmail.com

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Is the Creator's Update still loving up GSync? I am having a bit of trouble googling an answer.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

fuckpot posted:

Is the Creator's Update still loving up GSync? I am having a bit of trouble googling an answer.

You need to more be specific than that, *sync is a complicated field.
With a single monitor set to 120Hz max, you can expect a perfect experience from Nvidia.
At higher frequencies like 144, you may see the old 'gpu won't clock down even on idle' issue, but that's not Gsync related afaik.
Multi monitor is the wild west, and watching a video on the side while playing a borderless windows game on *sync is like unprotected sex with a Thai hooker.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 22, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I just leave the monitor OSD frame counter on all the time because otherwise it's somewhat hard to tell when it randomly decides to break for an arbitrary reason. Also my 1080ti has finally decided to learn how to downclock at idle with a 1080p60+1440p100/gsync combination, but I think I had to gently caress with nvidia profile inspector to make it happen.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

sauer kraut posted:

You need to more be specific than that, *sync is a complicated field.
With a single monitor set to 120Hz max, you can expect a perfect experience from Nvidia.
At higher frequencies like 144, you may see the old 'gpu won't clock down even on idle' issue, but that's not Gsync related afaik.
Multi monitor is the wild west, and watching a video on the side while playing a borderless windows game on *sync is like unprotected sex with a Thai hooker.
Have a multi-monitor setup with a 144hz primary. Will continue to ignore Creator's Update then. Cheers for that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I thought the whole point of Gsync was the kind of quality that this whole sort of thing never happens?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the point is that it has a usable fps range

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11743/amd-releases-radeon-software-crimson-relive-edition-1781

Apparently some of those same driver updates were just released! Way to piss off tech review sites, AMD.

FaustianQ posted:

Well, they're calling it "Vega10" still in their slides from HotChips, so probably not. https://www.servethehome.com/amd-vega10-update-from-hot-chips-2017/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 22, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TomsHardware France: Three GPU packages for Radeon RX Vega, panic among manufacturers
VCZ: Radeon RX Vega has three or four Vega 10 variants

Have fun designing around all these package variants, AIB partners! :smithicide:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wow, rtg knocking it out the park on all fronts right now.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Like I said way earlier, if you enjoy being served poo poo sandwiches you should become an AMD only AIB.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"we're making sure miners don't buy all these!"

*Releases tiny quantities of card that only competes at mining and optimised driver*

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

I want to see someone release a Vega card with no cooling solution and socket 115x mounting holes around the chip. "gently caress it, you figure it out" edition.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

oh wow it never really hit me before just how loving big those chips are :stare: That's outrageous

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Maxwell Adams posted:

I want to see someone release a Vega card with no cooling solution and socket 115x mounting holes around the chip. "gently caress it, you figure it out" edition.

Also sporting empty RAM sockets

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Maxwell Adams posted:

The sad part is that I know people who would be all over that poo poo like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/44084-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-und-vega-64-im-undervolting-test.html

56 looking pretty good if you can win the silicon lottery and find one that undervolts well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

..btt posted:

Also sporting empty RAM sockets

Maybe AMD will bring back sideport memory for Raven Ridge.