Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The weirdest thing about the article is where it cites a letter from Whedon to his wife (ex-wife) explaining that he was surrounded by "beautiful, needy, aggressive women" and it was like a Greek tragedy. That's a weird thing to write.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel Whedon would most definitely write a melodramatic letter like that.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

The weirdest thing about the article is where it cites a letter from Whedon to his wife (ex-wife) explaining that he was surrounded by "beautiful, needy, aggressive woman" and it was like a Greek tragedy. That's a weird thing to write.

I kinda want names, in a terrible nosy Parker kind of way.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Patton Oswalt owns.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The weirdest thing about the article is where it cites a letter from Whedon to his wife (ex-wife) explaining that he was surrounded by "beautiful, needy, aggressive women" and it was like a Greek tragedy. That's a weird thing to write.

I mean, it explains why Felicia Day has a career.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

He also essentially blamed the patriarchy for him having affairs which is just so dumb and lame but largely makes him seem like an idiot child rather than a scumbag or whatever.

:lol:

esperterra posted:

Mostly I'm surprised it took a big personal drama like this to get more people talking about it. I always thought it was weird he still seemed to have so much feminist like cred or w/e the past handful of years.

I've been saying he was kind of a weirdo ever since the terrible Firefly movie. I think you can only take the "tiny girl beats up huge dudes" thing so far before it just gets to seeming like your fetish, and I think he had a weird focus on feet in that one too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

I've been saying he was kind of a weirdo ever since the terrible Firefly movie. I think you can only take the "tiny girl beats up huge dudes" thing so far before it just gets to seeming like your fetish, and I think he had a weird focus on feet in that one too.

Have you ever seen Joss Whedon and Quenten Tarantino in the same place?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Iron Crowned posted:

Have you ever seen Joss Whedon and Quenten Tarantino in the same place?

Shoe shops. Regularly, and repeatedly.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The difference between Tarantino and Whedon is that there's actually a legitimate argument to be made that Tarantino is a feminist. Whedon not so much.

[Edit: that was the case before the letter too]

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

esperterra posted:

This is what my thoughts boil down to, really. Like he hasn't been an amazing or up to date or w/e feminist for years now, and imo this would be the case whether he was a dick who cheated for 15 years or not.

Mostly I'm surprised it took a big personal drama like this to get more people talking about it. I always thought it was weird he still seemed to have so much feminist like cred or w/e the past handful of years.

That one Kate Beaton comic is basically whedon_feminism.jpg but that seems to be good enough among my friends who hang tenaciously upon anything he does. Thankfully they mostly seem to draw a line at Dollhouse at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

lelandjs posted:

The difference between Tarantino and Whedon is that there's actually a legitimate argument to be made that Tarantino is a feminist. Whedon not so much.

[Edit: that was the case before the letter too]

Tarantino can write dialogue, too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

That one Kate Beaton comic is basically whedon_feminism.jpg but that seems to be good enough among my friends who hang tenaciously upon anything he does. Thankfully they mostly seem to draw a line at Dollhouse at least.

I totally forgot Dollhouse happened

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The actors other than the lead in Dollhouse were ok.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dollhouse would have been legitimately fantastic if anyone other than Dushku had been the lead. The rest of the cast is stellar.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lelandjs posted:

Dollhouse would have been legitimately fantastic if anyone other than Dushku had been the lead. The rest of the cast is stellar.
Lmao no

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I liked Eliza Dushku in Buffy and Angel. Granted I probably haven't watched either in 10 years.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Who do you consider to be the weak point? I thought everyone else was great.

Actually did you watch both seasons? There's a lot of character work in the second season that makes the first season retroactively better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never seen Firefly and I'm never gonna.

Also that openly gay Xena reboot that one of the The 100 writers was working on is dead I'm afraid.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I agree that everyone but the lead in Dollhouse was pretty excellent.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lelandjs posted:

Who do you consider to be the weak point? I thought everyone else was great.

Actually did you watch both seasons? There's a lot of character work in the second season that makes the first season retroactively better.
All the writing. Tons of shows and movies have good casts, it doesn't matter if the writing is bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

That's ok, I'll watch it again for you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never watched Firefly and never will because there's no way it can be that good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's not. It's fun, but don't let the nerd consensus make you think it's something it's not.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

zoux posted:

Also that openly gay Xena reboot that one of the The 100 writers was working on is dead I'm afraid.

Wasn't Xena the openly gay version of Xena?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GreenNight posted:

It's not. It's fun, but don't let the nerd consensus make you think it's something it's not.

The "Browncoats" make me wish I never enjoyed Firefly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never watched Firefly and never will because there's no way it can be that good.

If it hadn't been canceled in its first season, or if it had come out a couple of years later, nobody would remember or care about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course, TV Tropes originated as a Joss Whedon fan-site, which is something that can never be forgiven.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked Firefly at the time, I remember it along with Arrested Development being the shows to convince me that I should start paying more attention to TV instead of movies, but it did not take long at all for it to lose its sheen and I've never really understood why there was such an effort to get it revived. Surely that zeitgeist has past us by now, right? Right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Firefly was average

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the internet peak of Whedon obnoxious internet fandom, 2007?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Firefly was a cool show that probably deserved more than one season but then they made that movie and that's not very good, so maybe they were right to cancel it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nate RFB posted:

I liked Firefly at the time, I remember it along with Arrested Development being the shows to convince me that I should start paying more attention to TV instead of movies, but it did not take long at all for it to lose its sheen and I've never really understood why there was such an effort to get it revived. Surely that zeitgeist has past us by now, right? Right?

There isn't a lot of Science Fiction on TV in general, so when there's something that nerds enjoy they cling to it like no one's business.

That said, I'm actually looking forward to The Orville, and hoping that it's good because it feels like it's going to scratch my Star Trek itch a lot more than Discovery will.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah, Adam Baldwin coined the term Gamer Gate so try and separate art and artist there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

The "Browncoats" make me wish I never enjoyed Firefly.

I don't let lovely fans ruin my enjoyment of TV. That's why I rarely read TV threads in the forums.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

What was the internet peak of Whedon obnoxious internet fandom, 2007?

Possibly, although Dr. Horrible wasn't for another year, and god knows that was huge.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wandle Cax posted:

He must have recovered ok, he's got that new movie coming out, American assassin

Oh cool, that's who you're talking about? That guy looks really good in the role, the book series is a guilty pleasure of mine. From the AA trailers it looks like he's flipping around quite a bit so I'd also guess his recovery is going well.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another late-2000s show I liked a lot while it was on was Shark, which starred James Woods as a defence attorney who becomes disillusioned with his practice after one of his clients murders their wife on the same day he got him off for domestic abuse so he changes sides and goes into public prosecution.

More of a post-House show than a post-Lost show, though. It's in that "brilliant professional but a right prat" tradition.

Shark was great. While it only being a tv show I think they did show just how much having a top paid lawyer matters and what they will do to win a case.

Billy Campbell's Wayne Callison was great. Also great to see Danielle Panabaker now be on The Flash. And Jeri Ryan :allears:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hakkesshu posted:

Firefly was a cool show that probably deserved more than one season but then they made that movie and that's not very good, so maybe they were right to cancel it.

After the movie I'm confident that firefly was good only because it didn't get the chance to get bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow that Netflix number.

Also, anytime you hear someone whining about how ESPN is failing because they're SJWs now, remind them they are paying out $8b a year for broadcast rights in a shrinking market.

• Locked thread